• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD Ghost XB1/PS4 comparions rolling in (list of all updated sites)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Update 1: Jeff from Giantbomb says a patch is in the works to address PS4 issues.

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/a-few-last-minute-bits-of-playstation-4-info/1100-4785/

The early reviews of Call of Duty: Ghosts--including mine--mentioned that the PlayStation 4 version of the game suffers from occasional frame rate issues. For me, it usually showed up whenever there were a lot of particle effects on screen, but it'd pop up at random, too. I'm told that Infinity Ward is working on a patch to correct the performance issues. As our review currently doesn't apply to the PS4 version of the game--I want to play that and the Xbox One version on real multiplayer servers before assigning it a number--I'm going to see if that patch makes its way live this week and see if it helps. Currently, I'd call it a toss up between the Xbox One and PS4 versions--the Xbox One version has a smoother frame rate, but I'd rather play the game on a Dual Shock 4. Getting that frame rate pegged would definitively swing things in the PS4's direction, even over the PC version, which is sort of a mess. Of course, we're talking about minor differences in a game that has much more significant issues than mere frame rate, so you probably shouldn't take any of this as a ringing endorsement of the release without reading my review first.

---

Since the embargo is going up today for several games, I thought it'd be good to list all the sites that have updated with COD impressions for XB1.

Game Informer - http://www.gameinformer.com/games/c...1/12/call-of-duty-ghosts-review-xbox-one.aspx

There has been much discussion online in recent weeks about resolution issues affecting PlayStation 4 vs. Xbox One titles. It's been confirmed that the PlayStation 4 version runs at a native 1080p, but the Xbox One version is upscaled to 1080p from 720p. I played Call of Duty: Ghosts extensively on both next-gen systems on several televisions of different sizes, and saw no differences between the two versions. The experience was virtually identical on both consoles throughout the duration of my play time. If you own both consoles and are deciding which version of Ghosts to get, I'd recommend simply going with whatever console your friends will be playing on.

IGN - http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/05/call-of-duty-ghosts-review

Character customization, maps, dynamic events, weapons, gametypes, and constant 60fps multiplayer framerates are ubiquitous across current- and next-gen platforms. The biggest variations between platforms falls upon visuals and player counts. On the current-gen versions Ghosts looks nearly identical, though I did encounter occasional framerate issues during the single-player campaign on PS3 and PS4, whereas my time with the Xbox One version was stable throughout.

When comparing the PS4 and Xbox One versions side-by-side, there’s little to no variation in textures and effects, but there is a discernible difference in resolution. While both are displayed at 1080p, the Xbox One version upscales the game from 720p resolution. In contrast, the PS4 version runs natively at 1080p, which makes character models, weapons, and environments look noticeably sharper and more detailed. The difference is especially apparent on larger-sized TVs, where pixel density weighs more heavily in picture quality.

It’s certainly going to be a sticking point for those who demand the highest fidelity experience, but the difference is harder to identify in absence of a side-by-side comparison.

Oddly, the Xbox One version makes no use of the haptic feedback motors built into the controller’s triggers, and the DualShock 4’s trackpad is used solely as a button to toggle the in-game scoreboard during multiplayer.

VideoGamer - http://www.videogamer.com/xboxone/c...ew_call_of_duty_ghosts_and_battlefield_4.html

Much has already been made of the shortcomings of the Xbox One version of Ghosts, and so it will probably come as no surprise to hear that the Xbone version is lacking in the visual department. It's not just resolution that has suffered, however, although that in itself is fairly disappointing.

In the single-player game, at least, texture quality can range from average to very poor, and geometry itself can look clipped and badly aliased, giving the game a jaggy, muddy look that does nothing to tell you that your £429 investment was a good one. In some cases, elements of the world look barely textured at all, as is the case when the battle cruiser is seen at the end of the 'Fort Santa Monica Beachhead' mission. It was so bad that I navigated to the dashboard to ensure that the machine had been set up correctly. It had...

Multiplayer also looks demonstrably worse than in the PS4 version, with similar problems afflicting the look of the game. Mechanically it is identical, and at least the game ran stable enough to keep me blaming myself and not the frame rate for any kills I may have suffered. (Although I had no problems with the PS4 build, some users are reporting frame rate issues on Sony's machine.)

Still, whether through rushed/overstretched development or hardware problems (or a combination of both), Ghosts has ended up looking (far, in some cases) worse on Microsoft's machine than on its direct rival.

Polygon - http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/5/5052646/call-of-duty-ghosts-review

While the Xbox One version of Call of Duty: Ghosts has been confirmed by Activision to run at a lower resolution than its PS4 counterpart (720p upscaled to 1080p native, respectively), that numerical difference is less meaningful than you might imagine.

The two versions look nearly identical. Viewing the Xbox One release next to the PS4 , I had difficulty telling them apart. It's possible that the PS4 version looked somewhat sharper, but that may have just been my imagination after confirming the hard resolution difference. The next-gen releases of Call of Duty: Ghosts are so close together that gun to my head, I'd have no confidence in being able to discern which version was which — at least, while the two are standing still.

The Xbox One release's framerate was far more noticeable. As mentioned in the initial review, Call of Duty: Ghosts suffers from consistent framerate drops on the PS4, especially during multiplayer when action got especially hectic. The Xbox One version suffered no such drops, maintaining a steady 60 frames per second throughout.

For a multiplayer shooter, framerate consistency is paramount. Given its relative visual parity with the PS4 release, Call of Duty: Ghosts is a more playable, slightly superior (albeit disappointing) game on Xbox One.

Jeez, all over the place. Great job Infinity Ward. :\

Let me know if there's more to add.

alterno69

Banned
I think we can agree the game runs unoptimized in both systems and it looks better on the PS4?

Surely reviewers are not imagining those frame rate drops on both systems.

Are we talking drops of 60 to 55fps or something significant like 15fps? I'll take 1080p with small framerate drops over 720p personally.

BigDug13

They should have dropped it to 900p like BF4.

Or better yet, don't code a game so unoptimized that brings Titans to their knees.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Framerate > Resolution, but it doesn't even sound like the framerate is bad on PS4 so if I had the option I would pick that one even knowing the 1-month map exclusivity deal.

Seems like the moral of the story is that Ghosts just seems skippable overall.

I've watched tons of matches on youtube and there's fun to be had, but yes, it does seem skippable. Some people are saying it's the best multi since CoD4 and gives them a mixture of Blops + MW2 in MW3 maps, but for the most part I think we can safely expect Treyarch's CoD next year to be much more entertaining and complete as a game, not to mention Titanfall in the Spring from OG Infinity.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
In general no one should be buying this on next gen consoles. That's what I'm getting from this.

Should be a clear skip for anyone looking for a launch title.

Z3M0G

Thankfully this game falls in schedule with the CoD games I skip... the IW ones.

I'll wait for the next Treyarch game.

S¡mon

Banned
So videogamer.com says PS4 is better.
Polygon says Xbox One is better.
IGN says that they basically have both advantages and disadvantages.

Rodelero

The Last of Us

(but seriously...

It's extraordinary to see such variation. IGN implies that multiplayer is 60fps on all, Polygon say it's bad. Videogamer says that there is a significant visual difference, Polygon say that any difference was probably imagined.)

teokrazia

At the European review event the PS4 version had some slow-downs, in every mode [SP, MP, Squads, Extinction]. Not so much often, but pretty noticeable.

Xbox One was clearly running at 720p, with all the losses of fidelty everybody can easily imagine, but was smoother. So ROTFLAMO@all the confidence people shown about the fact that it should have frame-rate problems too.

Hedge

Frame-rate drops on the PS4? That seems bad, since it's a game that hinges on precision (I assume - haven't played any FPS since CS).

And I love how the two top reviews say that there's a noticable difference in resolution, and Polygon is like.. "There MIGHT PERHAPS be a difference but it's probably in my head". Yeeah.

Beant

This game is a straight up disaster. Battlefield deserves to demolish it in sales (except for the pc version which also sucks).

Nick

This game is on its way to me for free via Amazon B2G1 free deal... so it could run 10fps and I'd still be happy.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I really hope this 'Xp upscaled to Xp' stuff stops. It's a resolution. It's a number. Just tell your reader what it is and quit sugar coating it.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
This game is on its way to me for free via Amazon B2G1 free deal... so it could run 10fps and I'd still be happy.

Same here, only for Target. I was going to buy Killzone and Battlefield anyway, but I'll take a freebie Call of Duty for sure.

Do you think it's possible that they could improve the framerate issues through patches?

Malvingt2

The Last of Us

(but seriously...

It's extraordinary to see such variation. IGN implies that multiplayer is 60fps on all, Polygon say it's bad. Videogamer says that there is a significant visual difference, Polygon say that any difference was probably imagined.)

deserved it.

anyway. It is really interesting what is going on with both versions.

Cornbread78

The Last of Us

(but seriously...

It's really hard to read Polygon without thinking of that bias. I mean, everyone else its noticing a difference, but if you hold a gun to their head, they couldn't pick it out? Shocking...

Hmm DF will probably be up soon.

The better question is who is doing the review?

jaxpunk

Why does anyone care about this cut and paste turd of a game? It got 7s... Isn't that the pile on this game is shit score around here?

Top Bottom