• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD Ghost XB1/PS4 comparions rolling in (list of all updated sites)

slugboss

Neo Member
Where's the 1080p video comparing full screen shots. I could tell them apart in thesixthaxis video but they hardly concentrated on identical scenes in fullscreen, and they look identical other than resolution so taking PS4's advantage away in splitscreen is bollocks.

EGM1966

So far all I know is that the game is clearly poorly optimized on next gen consoles and that a worrying number of reviewers seem uncertain about objective differences around resolution and framerate.

Everyone should be able to see a difference between 1080p and 720p on a decent HD TV.

Same for framerate - it should be obvious to any experienced player if its dropping or not. The fact some reviewers think it is and others not seems odd too.

Either way I'm glad I bailed on CoD two games back - more than anything I'm just amazed Activision let such a wonky version slip out at this crucial moment of console gen transition.

Appleman

Either they were capturing video at 720p in PS4's case, or they converted to 720p when matching two videos together, or the developer lied and PS4 version is not 1080p. Because those screens and videos I've seen of PS4 version are not 1080p. Neither the IGN or the TheSixthAxis.

No, they are identical.

Weird that two independent comparisons both show the same low-res PS4 version... especially concerning since I'd think it would look better than it does if they'd fucked up their video capture by downsampling to 720p.

This looks like a native 720ish-p render on the PS4, and it's weird.

KnuckaWut

i feel sorry for IW, having to make a game for 6 platforms brutal. 2 of which are completely new to them im sure the game will be patched well, give it time.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Both TSA and IGN messing up in the same way? It's starting to strain credibility. Maybe the PS4 version just really does look that bad.

TSA used the Elgato Game Capture HD. This isn't really ideal for best video quality since it encodes at H.264 through USB 2.0 which I imagine is probably a low Mbit/s. But with that said the video they showed of the PS4 version is much clearer than the IGN video. I believe IGN just recorded both in 720p then upscaled in their video editing program to a 1080p project.

Even if TSA has recorded the PS4 in 1080p then something is wrong because that game does not look 1080p. So maybe someone is telling porkies at Infinity Ward.

The thing that sites or people need to do is this when recording. First use high quality hardware not these cheap ass gimmick things for $100. Make sure that the video setup is correct in terms of resolution from the console and color space, other things and good HDMI cable. Next record that content in Uncompressed 8 or 10-bit YUV or lossless such as ProRes. Then offer download versions like Digital Foundry or Gamersyde does at 35-40Mbit/s

I don't have access but we need a GAF member to take some videos or screens of the some scenes from the PC version then compare.

The IQ just looks way too blurry in all of these videos on the PS4 to suggest it's 1080p. I'm sure we will find better results though during the next few weeks.

Dizzy

Banned
When comparing the PS4 and Xbox One versions side-by-side, there’s little to no variation in textures and effects, but there is a discernible difference in resolution. While both are displayed at 1080p, the Xbox One version upscales the game from 720p resolution. In contrast, the PS4 version runs natively at 1080p, which makes character models, weapons, and environments look noticeably sharper and more detailed. The difference is especially apparent on larger-sized TVs, where pixel density weighs more heavily in picture quality.
Multiplayer also looks demonstrably worse than in the PS4 version, with similar problems afflicting the look of the game.
Ghosts has ended up looking (far, in some cases) worse on Microsoft's machine than on its direct rival.

vs

The two versions look nearly identical. Viewing the Xbox One release next to the PS4 , I had difficulty telling them apart. It's possible that the PS4 version looked somewhat sharper, but that may have just been my imagination after confirming the hard resolution difference. The next-gen releases of Call of Duty: Ghosts are so close together that gun to my head, I'd have no confidence in being able to discern which version was which — at least, while the two are standing still.
Does not make sense. Those are quite different opinions for something that should be as plainly obvious as resolution.

what happened to the 90fps after 3 weeks of dev time with unoptimised code on the ps4?

then we have reviews all over the place. perhaps i should just hide until december when i have both consoles under my tv to avoid the constant fud.

twice now i have almost cancelled my xb1 pre-order.

The Flash

Banned
After watching TotalBiscuit's video I knew that this game would have problems. I also know more people who are choosing to skip Ghosts entirely than when BO2 came out. Tough luck IW. I guess this is the beginning of the end.

Tulerian

Is it possible some people are reviewing this based on the recordings someone else has made? Hence not seeing a difference between versions due to poor quality compressed videos?

Not sure why that would be the case, but I can't see how you couldn't see the obvious differences between them that have been highlighted by others, especially if you're looking for them...

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Aren't these reviews done at the review events? If so, is possible that part of the reviewers never saw both version side by side in real life?

sgi02

Banned
So what you want is a PC?

I enjoy this way of thinking, but even as an avid PC gamer I think Log4Girlz is right to a certain degree. There is NO reason not to include a framerate / vsync toggle in console games like this. I think that the more complex graphics options should be saved for the PC, just as a matter of course.

Some games are designed from the ground up to a target a certain platform and a target framerate, some aspects of these games wouldn't work if everything was not timed properly. With the latest gen consoles we're getting numerous games amongst consoles and PC's that are natively coded for x86 and are damn near equal in overall parity. While the vast majority of users wouldn't touch these options, it sure would be nice to have the option available IMO.

system11

Playing Black Ops 2 tonight, and I spoke to some people who have Ghosts, and as a group they didn't like it - maps are too big apparently.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
all these sites paid off by MS. crazy how much money MS is willing to spend to fool gamers and also crazy how terribad the gaming press is. doritogate indeed.

AlStrong

Ey3teLD.jpg

That's probably not the best time to take a self-photo for facebook.

USC-fan

Banned
The reason you are getting reviews all over the place is because this stuff came from review events. they do not have retail version of the game.

that is why DF has not done everything.

Really surprised to hear that Jeff would rather play the game on a DS4. The controller must be that good.

I've bought every CoD game since 4. Not out of some devotion to the series, just because they're nice and consistent. They're a satisfactory amount of fun. Nothing has made me want to get Ghosts less than buying CoD4 on PC because it was 10 bucks on the mac app store. It's so much fun.

Shsh, looks like a face from 2006/2007
Nope
DouglasCartland.gif

This game is just a big puddle of embarrassment for everyone involved, including the people trying to fool people into thinking one version of this game look better, a turd like this no matter the resolution and the pixels it carries with it, it will always give off the same putrid odor of what truly is.

The Last of Us

(but seriously...

It's extraordinary to see such variation. IGN implies that multiplayer is 60fps on all, Polygon say it's bad. Videogamer says that there is a significant visual difference, Polygon say that any difference was probably imagined.)

fuck that.. TLOU must be the greatest 7.5 game ever :)

SimCity 9.5
lol

Why does anyone care about this cut and paste turd of a game? It got 7s... Isn't that the pile on this game is shit score around here?

yeah.. It's like we are all arguing w/c turd sanwich is better.. It's still a gdamned turd sanwich. If anything these are all IW issue and not PS4/xbo issue. Let us do ourselves a favor and buy BF4 or KZ:SF instead.

Top Bottom