• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD Ghost XB1/PS4 comparions rolling in (list of all updated sites)

frayne182

Banned
Only thing that let me down is that they are not using the rumble triggers on the X1 version. The game will look and play fine on both systems. I just wanted me some rumble triggers in a FPS.

Symbiotx

There's so much hating on CoD.

I can't help but say that I'm really enjoying Ghosts. I played it for a week on 360, and I'm excited to play more Extinction on Ps4.

Krisprolls

Banned
The game looks like shit, we can all agree on that. Even on PC it's a shame.

Still, unless MS specifically paid for that, why would CoD devs ensure the weaker console has a better framerate ? It doesn't make sense at all, especially considering the big difference in specs.

After all, they could have gone with 900p on PS4, then it would have had better IQ AND better framerate. Why not do that ? Seems strange...

lol, did you actually read what you posted?

They both prefer the X1 version and thought it looked "great". They don't make a big issue out of the resolution difference, so to the average person reading that, it's not going to come across as a big issue either. Thats what I mean by storm in a teacup.

Of course, this is only one game....

Rad-

Still, unless MS specifically paid for that, why would CoD devs ensure the weaker console has a better framerate ? It doesn't make sense at all, especially considering the big difference in specs.

After all, they could have gone with 900p on PS4, then it would have had better IQ AND better framerate. Why not do that ? Seems strange...

They probably wanted dat 1080p selling point.

People keep posting this, which site claimed this? Just curious

From that infamous DF BF4 Preview

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-battlefield-4-next-gen-vs-pc-face-off-preview

On the merits of what we've seen so far, Battlefield 4 is already set to be a formidable launch window effort from DICE. Our observations so far reveal a clear gap in fidelity between PC and PS4, and again to Xbox One, but sub-pixel break-up aside, based on what we've seen so far, the Microsoft console manages to hold up despite the undeniable, quantifiably worse metrics in terms of both resolution and frame-rate.

Pain

Banned
Journalists aren't a reliable source for tech analysis. Wait for Digital Foundry to get the final verdict.

frayne182

Banned

IW did say that MS engineers were on site during the development of the game so I can see them having better frame rate. Also at the end of the day Activision has a deal with MS to produce exclusive timed content and to promote their consoles when talking about COD. Wouldn't be shocking if they spent more time on the console that brings them in more money.

Malvingt2

what did deserve it? The last of us is top tier game man...

926.gif

anyway. Please do not derailed thread. It is all about CoD Ghost wants to talk about the Last of Us? do it in a thread about it.

Hex

Banned
Since the embargo is going up today for several games, I thought it'd be good to list all the sites that have updated with COD impressions for XB1.

IGN - http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/05/call-of-duty-ghosts-review

VideoGamer- http://www.videogamer.com/xboxone/c...ew_call_of_duty_ghosts_and_battlefield_4.html

When comparing the PS4 and Xbox One versions side-by-side, there’s little to no variation in textures and effects, but there is a discernible difference in resolution. While both are displayed at 1080p, the Xbox One version upscales the game from 720p resolution. In contrast, the PS4 version runs natively at 1080p, which makes character models, weapons, and environments look noticeably sharper and more detailed. The difference is especially apparent on larger-sized TVs, where pixel density weighs more heavily in picture quality.

Polygon- http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/5/5052646/call-of-duty-ghosts-review

Jeez, all over the place. Great job Infinity Ward. :\

Let me know if there's more to add.

Why did you bold one and not the other OP?

Krisprolls

Banned
IW did say that MS engineers were on site during the development of the game so I can see them having better frame rate. Also at the end of the day Activision has a deal with MS to produce exclusive timed content and to promote their consoles when talking about COD. Wouldn't be shocking if they spent more time on the console that brings them in more money.

The thing is... the only reason why they have a good framerate is because they chose 720p for XBO and 1080p for PS4. It has nothing to do with MS engineers, just a lower resolution choice.

That's what bothers me. Why not simply choose something like 900p on PS4, then the best console at least gets the 100 % best version on every bullet point, as it should.

Of all games, it's strange that it happens only on this one, which is precisely known for its Xbox fans... Anyway.

KoopaTheCasual

They both prefer the X1 version and thought it looked "great". They don't make a big issue out of the resolution difference, so to the average person reading that, it's not going to come across as a big issue either. Thats what I mean by storm in a teacup.

Of course, this is only one game....
They both prefer the XB1 version (even after admitting the PS4 version runs better) exclusively because they prefer the controller layout for the XB1 and the asymmetrical sticks. Nice try tho.

So far only Polygon is claiming that the XB1 version is technically superior against a wave of articles saying the exact opposite.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
Why wouldn't they just run at s lightly lower res on PS4 to maintain a stable framerate?

Scaling issues on PS4 confirmed ;-P

Cornbread78

Journalists aren't a reliable source for tech analysis. Wait for Digital Foundry to get the final verdict.

unfortunately, we used to trust and think they were pretty unbiased and factual, but now? Can we trust them? Are they honest in their recording techniques? It's liek a cheating girlfriend, you can just never trust them again after.... usually you just kick them to the curb.

ViciousDS

Banned
Framerate > Resolution, but it doesn't even sound like the framerate is bad on PS4 so if I had the option I would pick that one even knowing the 1-month map exclusivity deal.

I've watched tons of matches on youtube and there's fun to be had, but yes, it does seem skippable. Some people are saying it's the best multi since CoD4 and gives them a mixture of Blops + MW2 in MW3 maps, but for the most part I think we can safely expect Treyarch's CoD next year to be much more entertaining and complete as a game, not to mention Titanfall in the Spring from OG Infinity.

Next CoD is sledgehammer games Treyarch's offering will not be till 2 years from now.....so I'm guessing Teryarch is the head at also making the new engine.

Meaning 1 more year still of cross gen garbage.

velociraptor

COD, frankly, looks like crap compared to most next-gen games. The performance is nothing to sing home about either. Here are PC benchmarks:

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Call_of_Duty_Ghosts-test-ghost_1920.jpg

There is nothing particularly demanding about the COD engine. It seems like console ports have gotten worse with next-gen. I thought the x86 architecture should mean good performance across the platforms? Having said that, if you need a 7970 to run Ghosts at 1080p60, then you're doing it wrong Infinity Ward. You're doing it wrong.

JaggedSac

Maybe Sony mandated 1080p?

frayne182

Banned
The thing is... the only reason why they have a good framerate is because they chose 720p for XBO and 1080p for PS4. It has nothing to do with MS engineers, just a lower resolution choice.

That's what bothers me. Why not simply choose something like 900p on PS4, then the best console at least gets the 100 % best version on every bullet point, as it should.

Of all games, it's strange that it happens only on this one, which is precisely known for its Xbox fans... Anyway.

Well according to an interview I read a few weeks ago IW did have the X1 version at 1080p and decided as a last minute decision to lower it which made me think that they were doing more QA testing on the X1. I don't care about resolutions especially on COD, but can see why its confusing as to why the PS4 version has supposed framerate drops.

I already have the 360 version and plan on upgrading to the X1 version. Other then word of mouth I have not seen these framerate drops so wouldn't be worried about them if you are getting PS4. To me both systems will run the game fine. Just comes down to the little things people prefer. Network, what friends are getting, controller, etc.

ViciousDS

Banned
COD, frankly, looks like crap compared to most next-gen games. The performance is nothing to sing home about either. Here are PC benchmarks:

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Call_of_Duty_Ghosts-test-ghost_1920.jpg

There is nothing particularly demanding about the COD engine. It seems like console ports have gotten worse with next-gen. I thought the x86 architecture should mean good performance across the platforms? Having said that, if you need a 7970 to run Ghosts at 1080p60, then you're doing it wrong Infinity Ward. You're doing it wrong.

and that's without AA....OMFG......such a shitty engine, what the hell did infinity ward do to the damn engine.....

Fermbiz

Gold Member
Oddly, the Xbox One version makes no use of the haptic feedback motors built into the controller’s triggers

Anyone else bothered by no haptic feed back in the triggers for the Xbone version..?

I was really looking forward to that. Does anyone know if Killer Instinct makes use of the rumble triggers?

frayne182

Banned
Anyone else bothered by no haptic feed back in the triggers for the Xbone version..?

I was really looking forward to that. Does anyone know if Killer Instinct makes use of the rumble triggers?

I am! I think its insane to not include those. That is a feature I really was looking forward to. Oh well looks like I'll have to try them out on Forza.

IGN comparison video:
http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/11/12/call-of-duty-ghosts-in-1080p-ps4-vs-xbox-one-commentary

They say only the odd minor hiccup on PS4 regarding frame rate, smooth 60 otherwise.

The differnece is noticeable from the first second. You could guess without them even putting the console names above it. Having said that. It looks great on the Xboxone. The PS4 version just looks better on a bigger screen.

How big are the framerate dips on the PS4 version?

Top Bottom