• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shuhei Yoshida: Dark Souls & Demon’s Souls Inspired the PS4s System Features

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Lots of things these games – Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls – did, like leaving the message to other people asynchronously, so you feel connected, but not really connected at the same time, all of these things inspired us when we were designing the system features for PS4.

Like sharing features. I enjoy so much watching people play Dark Souls on YouTube. These games still have a special place in my memory.

From this podcast: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/11/21/playstation-blogcast-099-best-of-a-generation/

Trevelyon

Love how Shu is so hung up Demon's Souls (Souls in general). You'll never live that one down, you let the lighting out the bottle.

Deadstar

He likes Demon's Souls. Sony owns Demon's Souls. They just released a new platform.... Connect the dots. All signs point to the real Demon's Souls starting here.

Danielsan

I really hope Sony is secretly funding/working on Demon's Souls 2, because my experience with Dark Souls 2 has been less than favorable. It's quite apparent that the director of the first two games is absent.

VXLbeast

He likes Demon's Souls. Sony owns Demon's Souls. They just released a new platform.... Connect the dots. All signs point to the real Demon's Souls starting here.

The more subtle Demon's Souls references in a post, the more I like someone. What jolly traveling companions are we?

Seriously though, this game was massively influential. You could (and can) see it's influence rippling out into other games design choices almost immediately.

Amir0x

Banned
Another reason to add to the pile why Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are among two of the greatest games ever made

edit: Yoshida certainly is mentioning these games a lot lately. Demon Soul's 2 announcement already jerk :p

So is Demon's Souls/Dark Souls the go-to PR game to somehow signify "LOOK AT US GAMERS! WE ARE HARDCORE LIKE YOU! LIKE US" for everyone now?

Another reason to add to the pile why Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are among two of the greatest games ever made

edit: Yoshida certainly is mentioning these games a lot lately. Demon Soul's 2 announcement already jerk :p

when all the dust has settled I'm pretty sure I'm going to call those two the two greatest games of the gen.

Trevelyon

. It's quite apparent that the director of the first two games is absent.

wanna say, GAF'er Verendus has been hinting hardest at this with some Pete Dodd and Demon Nite side teases. Though, I hope they haven't got their wires crossed with something like Deep Down, which Sony seems to be in deep with.

So is Demon's Souls/Dark Souls the go-to PR game to somehow signify "LOOK AT US GAMERS! WE ARE HARDCORE LIKE YOU! LIKE US" for everyone now?

Wow this is like the Dark Souls of downer comments on a happy thread.

Let's hope for a Demon's Souls 2. The more Souls games, the better.

I've always wondered why Demon's Souls was an exclusive if Sony didn't publish it.

they not only published it, SCEJ provided development assistance and a producer (Takeshi Kajii). However, they only published in japan/china/korea, as it was not thought to be interesting to the western audience. Despite this, the chinese version has full english text and v.o. and due that fact and positive to word of mouth it was imported heavily. Atlus took notice and obtained the license to publish in NA., Namco-Bandai picked up the PAL license a few months later.

AFAIK Sony did not elect to produce a sequel even after all the positive reception in the west, and Namco-Bandai obviously did. The name change to Dark Souls is because Sony retains the Demon's Souls IP.

The more subtle Demon's Souls references in a post, the more I like someone. What jolly traveling companions are we?

Seriously though, this game was massively influential. You could (and can) see it's influence rippling out into other games design choices almost immediately.
I'm convinced they are the reason for the new direction of Zelda

yeah, he already talked about this after the PS4 announcement. How he was addicted to DS, but due to time constraints had to look up vids about parts he got stuck, liked others watching play, etc

KORNdoggy

Just announce DS2 for gods sake. I don't want this to be a thing that pops up ever year before E3/tgs/gamescom/vga's etc. where people are claiming it's going to be announced and then it isn't. Like syphon filter, or last guardian etc. i don't want that. I want to KNOW it's coming. Even if it's to say it's coming in 2016.

VXLbeast

Yoshida, why didn't you publish Demon's Souls outside of Japan?!
That was a major blunder.

There are interviews where he explains why. It's interesting to read, and he admits it was a mistake. Already been linked to once in this thread. Check it out.

Top Bottom