• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avalanche: "Microtransactions and subscriptions will be the next-gen of games"

You're going to like it damn it.

a3CigKk.png

Microtransactions and subscriptions will define the next generation of gaming, Just Cause developer Avalanche Studios founder and creative director Christofer Sundberg has said.

"Micro-transactions, subscriptions, and other biz models will be the next generation of games. It is that simple," Sundberg said on Twitter recently.

Responding to a question from Eurogamer, Sundberg explained that the "free-to-play" moniker has "become a label for low quality, unfortunately."

"But basically that's where we're heading. There will be f-ups for sure," he added." Hopefully we can lower the initial price point and build the game with the community instead."
Via Gamespot

Brashnir

So I guess I'm not buying Just Cause 3. Thanks for letting me know not to buy before I bothered getting interested in the title.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That's what Microsoft said about always online and digital until the consumers loudly rejected it.

Dahaka

Smart people will wait for cheap GOTYs in that case. There's plenty to play anyway so nobody with a passion for this hobby will run out of other games ever.

I can see this happening unfortunately. Perhaps in 2 generations when the Internet infrastructure improves. Being stuck with 150GB per month cap turns me away from Digital only.

Except on Nintendo.

But people will support the microtransactions and subscriptions even while complaining about them rather than buy Nintendo

RPGCrazied

Not for me its not. Even if the game has it in the game I won't buy it. DLC is one thing, but microtransactions can fuck off. That should be in F2P games only.

Nymphae

Banned
I'm fine with this as long as the microtransactions remain unessential. If the games start getting leaner so they can try and get me to do more microtransactioning, or buy into a subscription, they can fuck right off and I won't buy the game. If I had an Xbox One and was into Forza, I would be skipping this latest instalment.

I was gonna wait to jump into next-gen till more games I'm interested in are released anyway, considering this trend I have another reason to wait and see how things pan out. Maybe that money would be better invested in a new gaming pc.

Grieves

I'm not interested in microtransactions, and won't be buying any games where microtransactions are required to complete it.

noobasuar

Banned
What did people expect? Increase development costs and sell to a small userbase?

Naw better to try and get $500 from anyone willing to buy your shit game.

Stuff like this is why next-gen is destined to fail hard.

Petrae

I look at my older consoles and games and am happy to have jumped ship before this happened. No way would I spend hundreds of dollars on new console hardware to even indirectly embrace this movement.

I'll stick with my non-connected stuff, thanks.

Fistwell

Hopefully we can lower the initial price point
Well that's not exactly what's been happening so far now has it? Not to mention that some of these microtransactions are only micro in name. How much to unlock that F1 car in Forza? $100+? That's more expensive than the game itself, how is that micro-anything?

Falling sales will be the next gen of games. And then they'll blame the consumers/console market for their shitty sales, not their shitty business model.

Andrax

Banned
I won't buy games with this kind of crap, I just won't.

Everyone else feels the same right so the companies will learn right?

Not a chance! You know they'll sell just as well.

Dahaka

I was gonna wait to jump into next-gen till more games I'm interested in are released anyway, considering this trend I have another reason to wait and see how things pan out. Maybe that money would be better invested in a new gaming pc.

You really think this practice stops at PCs and is a next-gen console exclusive? Good luck with multiplats.

I'm fine with this as long as the microtransactions remain unessential. If the games start getting leaner so they can try and get me to do more microtransactioning, or buy into a subscription, they can fuck right off and I won't buy the game. If I had an Xbox One and was into Forza, I would be skipping this latest instalment.

This just isn't in the latest Forza, It's becoming a wide spread practice across all genres.

Look at Dead Space 3: A game ruined by the micro-transactions

That's what Microsoft said about always online and digital until the consumers loudly rejected it.

Boom.

This.

Well then fuck this gen

Thissssss.

Smart people will wait for cheap GOTYs in that case. There's plenty to play anyway so nobody with a passion for this hobby will run out of other games ever.

Yissssssss.

Count me 100% out of this depressing practice. I have enough of a backlog to occupy me an entire generation if need be.

marrec

Banned
Hmm, I've been having no problem avoiding shitty practices in my games up to this point.

Don't see any reason why the next 7 years are going to change that for me.

I guess I'll just avoid AAA games from shady publishers.

Top Bottom