• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Putty Squad conspiracy

Xater

So I don't know the original game and I wasn't a Amiga player back in the day either. So I was certainly never looking forward to this game. This game does have some weird things going for it though, from being reviewed in Amiga magazines despite never being finished, to being part of next-gen launch bundles.

So I wanted to share this blog post which I enjoy very much about the conspiracy surrounding this game:

Remember Putty Squad, “one of the most critically acclaimed platformers of the 16bit-era”? No? Strangely enough, most people seem to have missed the adventures of what the Daily Mail calls “gaming’s best loved characters”. This surprisingly praise for an obscure early-nineties SNES-title struck me as odd, and lead me to dig deeper in the history of “the best game of its time”. What I uncovered can only be described as the weirdest conspiracy in gaming since the great Polybius scandal. Sit tight as this shocking intrigue unravels before your eyes.

Link: http://citizen-cube.tumblr.com/post...squad-conspiracy-or-how-i-learned-to-love-the

BTW the game looks like this and comes out for every system under the sun and even has a physical release.

Putty-Squad-Zone05F-800x453.jpg

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Funnily enough I saw this today in GAME among the PS4 releases, as a physical copy. Which was odd! I thought the original game was fairly good fun, but certainly not "the greatest game of its time". I did notice how all the box quotes came from the same source too. I'll enjoy reading about this conspiracy when I get home.

I heard about this on twitter a few days ago. There definitely seems to be a story behind it.

If find it especially baffling that it's a PS4 launch game and is featured relatively frequently in the (EU) games press. I have no idea why anybody would care about this at all.

Spazznid

So I don't know the original game and I wasn't a Amiga player back in the day either. So I was certainly never looking forward to this game. This game does have some weird things going for it though, from being reviewed in Amiga magazines despite never being finished, to being part of next-gen launch bundles.

So I wanted to share this blog post which I enjoy very much about the conspiracy surrounding this game:

Link: http://citizen-cube.tumblr.com/post...squad-conspiracy-or-how-i-learned-to-love-the

BTW the game looks like this and comes out for every system under the sun and even has a physical release.

Putty-Squad-Zone05F-800x453.jpg

You reminded me we don't have a Next Gen Clay Fighter... boo.

Game looks neat though.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I have the original Putty disk for my Amiga sitting back at my parents house, I remember enjoying it.

I did think it was a bit weird there being a remake of this game. As I never knew a sequel existed!

RoadDogg

I saw a trailer or something for this the other day and thought it was a spiritual sequel to Smart Ball on the SNES, I had no idea there was another game it was following up. I will skip it for sure now knowing it isn't related to Smart Ball.

mclem

I certainly remember lots of reporting of Putty way back when, although I don't believe I've ever played it. This might just be a quirk of the UK gaming bubble.

Xater

Used to play this on the SNES.

Amazed that no one knows it ever existed for it.

Blog mentions that the SNES version existed, but all other versions were canceled. Despite that Amiga and even mega Drive reviews exist that nothing but praise the game. Also the new game is getting praise from the Daily Mail.

Xater

I certainly remember lots of reporting of Putty way back when, although I don't believe I've ever played it. This might just be a quirk of the UK gaming bubble.

This is the remake of the sequel that only got released for the SNES in PAL territories.

mclem

Blog mentions that the SNES version existed, but all other versions were canceled. Despite that Amiga and even mega Drive reviews exist that nothing but praise the game. Also the new game is getting praise from the Daily Mail.

I suspect at least part of that is people conflating Putty with Putty Squad. It's an easy mistake to make; you hear about Putty Squad, you think back to the game you played on the Amiga named Putty, and make the link; not necessarily being precise enough to distinguish between the released Putty and the unreleased Putty Squad.

Kelthink

Used to play this on the SNES.

Amazed that no one knows it ever existed for it.

Yeah, same here (on the SNES, obviously). Had no idea it was rare either, I played it loads.

It's okay. It was nowt special but it was pretty entertaining. But it's being released for 30 English pounds on the Vita and that's...fucking incredible. I'd feel stretched to justify a tenner on it.

Either the creator of this is a great con artist or he has some amazing connections to get this into NEXT GEN LAUNCH bundles.

mclem

This is the remake of the sequel that only got released for the SNES in PAL territories.

Yes, but I'm wondering how many of the people getting 'nostalgic' for it are actually getting nostalgic for the original, without making the distinction of the slightly-different title?

This is the last paragraph:

Disclaimer: This article is based on speculation and does in no way claim to be accurate. It was mainly written for the purpose of satire. No member of System 3 is accused of fraudulent activities.
What am I missing here?

mclem

Actually, here's a thing. They point out a Eurogamer headline that they say lends credence to the conspiracy:

Eurogamer supports this acclaim with the following headline:

Witness the power of the PS4 with this Putty Squad remake

But misses the fact that the headline in question is sarcastic, and the very first paragraphs of the commentary below pretty much describe exactly that:

Do you remember Putty Squad? Funnily enough, I didn't - my dim recollection had it down as an Amiga game, but after checking Wikipedia (I'm a journalist, don't you know?) I discovered it never made it to that platform properly, and was only ever fully released on the SNES.

Well if you felt like you were left out last time out, rejoice - there's a remake coming to various platforms next year, and Ian Higton got himself a look at the PlayStation 4 version. It's not the most impressive looking game, but then you probably weren't expecting it to be. Still, it shapes up nicely enough when compared to the original, something Ian's done using some video wizardry below.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Huh, weird, I recall playing in my youth another Putty-themed game for the Genesis I believe.

I recall it being a red putty with no eyes that had one stretchable arm, and could transform into different animals.

You know, I looked this game up on YouTube to see if it was the one I remembered, and the video description had a weird PR description too about the new release.

BibiMaghoo

Ok, this is weird.

When I first heard about 'putty squad' coming to PS4, my first thought was, 'oh, that old amiga game from when I was a kid'. There was no question in my mind that the game existed...

So, this is quite confusing. I don't remember playing the game, but I didn't read mags or follow reviews back then, so chances are I saw it with my eyes.

And it would not have been the snes version of the game.

EDIT: I've just messaged my old man. He was the Amiga nut in the house, and if a copy existed, he may know about it. I'll post when he get's back to me.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Its release date should have been november 29 but there's no mention in the psblog...
Too bad because i would love some amiga vibe :(

RM8

It's a remake of a apparently decent, super obscure platformer that is getting a physical release. I was going to buy it regardless :p

EDIT: WAIT, is this an Europe-only thing? :(

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Putty Squad's claim to fame was that it was a heavily hyped (its predecessor scored highly) Amiga game that in the end was never released either officially or unofficially (emulator image) for that platform.

Its kind of the most famous "lost" title of its era in the UK. That's it.

King_Moc

Banned
The guys done so much research that he didn't even bother to read the Eurogamer article that he quoted the title of.

Kyzon

Never heard of that Putty Squad, but when I saw the thread title, I thought there was going to be a game starring the Putty Patrol.

tumblr_mgs8icDSZu1qczf6zo1_500.jpg

As a child of the Amiga days, I can tell you that this game was quite a big deal here in the UK. I remember playing the demo disc for hours.

The EU PlayStation Blog had a post about it. Apparantly it was finished, but didn't get published because retailers didn't want Amiga games any more:

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/11/27/putty-squad-is-reborn-on-ps4-this-week/

Sadly, the 16 bit era on home computers came to an end very quickly, just as we were finishing Putty Squad. We even had demos on cover mounted disks, with gamers playing over and over, setting high scores and sharing their stories of Putty’s adventures with their friends. What came next was a crushing blow – retailers weren’t taking Amiga games anymore, and we had this brilliant game ready to go. And so, it remained, locked away for decades.

Top Bottom