• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets talk about xboxone sticks.

madmackem

Ok ill start by saying i noticed right off the bat that these sticks were very very loose of the bat, but i adjusted to them playing it for a week. Fastforward to now, ive just come off a solid week of gaming on the ps4 and decided to turn my xboxone back on for the first time to play a game because peggle came out. While downloading i decided to jump back in to dead rising, and mother of god them sticks man, its like last gen when i had been on 360 for a while then booted up my ps3. I found it hard to control the sticks are just insanely loose, akin to the ds3.

Why did ms change them, 360 had the best sticks in gaming ever, if i dont keep up playing xboxone regular im going to have real bad issues returning.

Anyone else finding these troubles?.

Acheteedo

I don't get this complaint, they feel great to me, I prefer them to the DS4's even though I prefer the DS4 overall.

Yeah I noticed it right off the bat, and I'm not sure why they made the design change. Like you said I think you'd adopt to it given enough time - but like you I swap between systems, so that may prove interesting at times. I think the true test is first person shooters - and I don't have any to test on the xbone, as I am more of a PC gamer and only have consoles for exclusives. I WOULD normally get BF4 or stoop as low to get COD to play with friends, but the resolution issue bugs me.

I've not had any proper playtime with them except fiddling around with a controller at GAME, and they definitely felt looser. I quite liked the really wide triggers though.

Noticed they were loose but have gotten used to them and prefer them to 360, probably cause i play everything at 10 sensitivity I prefer the looseness.

The sticks are awesome. Work on your fine motor skills. How anyone can use them for a couple of weeks then pine for the 360 design is beyond me.

StratJ

Banned
I love the sticks, the smaller size of them and the grip around the side really make them comfortable and precise. All my friends have had the same views.

Satchel

Banned
Are people making this up? They feel almost 100% identical. I've literally got both controllers next to me,and I'm moving the sticks. They're almost the same.

They're a touch looser and you'd only notice in this situation. Having both with you at the same time.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Are people making this up? They fell almost 100% identical. I'm literally got both controllers next to me,and I'm moving the sticks. They're the same.

Is it an older 360 controller? The sticks eventually loosen a lot.

I have a new one and there is a noticable difference, the xbox one has a lot less resistance. But it's not DS3 levels either.

Jack cw

Too small and too loose for my taste. I dont know they got rid of the 360 controller, that was perfect. Also dont like the clicking bumbers.

Hammer24

Banned
OP, go to a store and compare the sticks to a standalone X1 controller. It seems like some controllers in the Day One bundles are from an alpha production run and not of the same quality as later ones and especially the separately sold ones.

Satchel

Banned
Is it an older 360 controller? The sticks eventually loosen a lot.

I have a new one and there is a noticable difference, the xbox one has a lot less resistance. But it's not DS3 levels either.

All my 360 controllers feel the same. I've been using the silver LE one with the grey buttons. Resistance feels the same as my less used ones.

The One sticks feel a TOUCH looser. I only noticed when wiggling the sticks at once. Even then the difference was less than minimal.

I don't notice any practicle difference with moving the sticks but I did find that, at first, the grips did leave me with a weird feeling on my thumb after a couple hours of play.

Guess I was pressing down on the sticks more than I should have, went away after I lightened my grip on the controller.

Thoraxes

I was okay with the sticks.

What's now weird is how narrow the top of the controller is. My hands can't even rest against the contour of the controller anymore so it feels like i'm moving the sticks without having a proper grip of the controller.

CDV13

I noticed it as well. I think it is more about the PS4 sticks being tighter though....not that they are much different than the 360 ones. Just my opinion.

Yards

Banned
They're better, much more precise and no dead zones to speak off.

They botched them up but nothing they can do now. People will just have to adjust.

Do you even own an XB1, because your post history indicates otherwise, so this seems more than just a little disingenuous on your part. I'm just saying, having lurked on GAF for a while I've noticed you constantly try to shit on everything Microsoft related.

"Insanely loose"?

Hmmm.....I disagree. Completely.

They aren't as stiff for sure, but the difference isn't huge by a long shot.

As with anything, if you spend a long time using one controller, then pick up controller you haven't used the entire duration you've been using the other controller..

Its going to require you to adjust to them.

Especially if you seemingly haven't actually spent much time using it in the first place.

Different things don't feel the same.

TheZink

OP, go to a store and compare the sticks to a standalone X1 controller. It seems like some controllers in the Day One bundles are from an alpha production run and not of the same quality as later ones and especially the separately sold ones.
I agree with this. I have one of each. My non day one edition is much better. Sticks feel better and feels more solid.

SHADES

I have both the XBone & PS4 and have to say the sticks on the XBone are shocking, they feel really small compared to their next gen counterpart & the rough outer edge just feels off, I get what they were going for & if the sticks were a bigger diameter it would probably work well (anti-slip etc) but IMO the sticks feel way to small & as such I find myself rarely using the XBone, just doesn't feel as comfortable as the DS4.

I can't believe that they had such a winning formula with 360 pad, chucked a $100m a it & came back with this? I honestly can find no improvement over the glorious 360 pad.

GoDLiKe

I don't have any problems with the One except for LB/RB buttons - but even them are not THAT bad. The analog sticks are pretty much perfect for me.

JimiNutz

Banned
I noticed they were loose right away but surprisingly they have not impacted my performance with the controller.

Haven't used a DS4 for any sustained period of time so can't compare to that, but Xbone controller is best controller I've ever used.

Wizman23

Banned
The sticks are godlike. I am so better at COD and BF4 then I was on the 360. Can't wait to play Titanfall, Halo, and Destiny with this gem of a controller

Prine

Banned
I cant hold the 360 pad without cursing it (Im trying to play through GTA5).

Loose sticks are more precise with enough resistance. Nothing like DS3. Xbox One pad is the best ive held too.

They feel fine to me. Perhaps slightly looser than the 360 sticks but I don't see that as a bad thing. I haven't played an FPS with it yet though so I guess that's the true test.

The new triggers are excellent and I also find the bumpers to be perfect for the way I hold and use the controller.

Overall I consider the new pad an improvement over it's predecessor.

The whole controller feels cheap and plasticky to me. Certainly nothing "next gen" about it. If anything it's taken some steps back. Firstly the back of it feels cheap and "clicks" in from just holding the damn thing as if you actually hear the backside of the plastic pressing against the rest of the controller resulting in cheap sounding click like noises. Like it's not held together well.

The dpad is a minor improvement but hardly in the leagues of ps4/ps3/SNES dpads. It only seems good because the 360s was so bad. It's still shit in comparision to every other dpad out there. The fact I got thumb ache from playing KI after 5 min using dpad shows there's still a problem with them. They feel too rough on your thumb for fighting games.

Also I have a issue with the sticks. Don't they feel rough and a bit gritty around the edges when pushed all the way to the end? When you're doing precise movements while moving a character you really notice it. It feels like the edges on the circle are interfering and rubbing against the rubber stick resulting in this rough movement on the stick. It doesn't feel smooth like the 360 or any other controller. It's as if the rubber is cheap on them and it's rubbing against the controller. I tried two XB1 controllers and they both exhibit all these issues.

After having spent £100 million developing this controller I really don't see where the money went. This is coming from someone who gamed last 7 years on 360 controllers.

Duxxy3

They are too loose, but I like the shape. The material also feels like it isn't going to wear out in a week.

Synth

I agree with this. I have one of each. My non day one edition is much better. Sticks feel better and feels more solid.

The hell? I'm not liking the sound of this!

I definitely feel that the stick is too loose. I find myself overcompensating on Forza often when attempting to bring the car back. And don't get me started on the bumpers... the fuck were they thinking?

Cutting back on deadzone in these X1 sticks makes them 100x better than those horrible 360 sticks.

The hell? I'm not liking the sound of this!

I definitely feel that the stick is too loose. I find myself overcompensating on Forza often when attempting to bring the car back. And don't get me started on the bumpers... the fuck were they thinking?

Yep my Day One sticks were loose as well. I could pull it up and what not. Sticks on my replacement are solid and a lot tighter.

jsip

Banned
They feel shorter to me. Less lock to lock travel means less precision. Not a fan of XO or PS4 sticks, TBH. Give a few more mm in height, damn. Offset/symmetrical in don't have a problem with either. I just need a taller stick. Will probably buy replacement sticks.

Edit: as for the looseness I prefer my DS4 and 360 analogs over the DS3 and XO.

Anion

The sticks are not the problem for me. The bumper was the issue until I learned that it was made for you to rest your index finger between the trigger and bumper. Then you realize where the 200 mill was spent

Also, calling them insanely loose is pretty misleading. I would say they are like ~20% looser than the x360s. (They still are a heck lot tighter than the PS3s)

However, one of my friends says it is an issue for him to press down on the sticks (like to run). He does have shorter fingers, so that could be the issue since the sticks are more protruding.

shandy706

They botched them up but nothing they can do now. People will just have to adjust.

Have you ever even seen, let alone touched, a Xbox One controller in person?

I've found the sticks to be much more accurate. Playing something like Forza 5 and then going back to Forza 4, while not difficult, certainly feels less accurate. There's not a big difference between them.

I'd say the X1 controller is the closest (most in control) device I've ever used in a racing game compared to my wheel setup.

I've yet to play a first person shooter with it.

The whole controller feels cheap and plasticky to me. Certainly nothing "next gen" about it. If anything it's taken some steps back. Firstly the back of it feels cheap and "clicks" in from just holding the damn thing as if you actually hear the backside of the plastic pressing against the rest of the controller resulting in cheap sounding click like noises. Like it's not held together well.

So plastic feels like plastic? Kay.

I guess the 360 pads plastic felt like leather? Bricks? Stone? I don't know.

It "clicks" in just from holding it? What?

Also I have a issue with the sticks. Don't they feel rough and a bit gritty around the edges when pushed all the way to the end? When you're doing precise movements while moving a character you really notice it. It feels like the edges on the circle are interfering and rubbing against the rubber stick resulting in this rough movement on the stick. It doesn't feel smooth like the 360 or any other controller. It's as if the rubber is cheap on them and it's rubbing against the controller.

The only parts that are rubber on the stick are parts that never touch any other part of the controller.....I'm not sure what you mean.

I tried two XB1 controllers and they both exhibit all these issues.

Do you own an Xbox One? Do you have your own controller?

Sounds to me like you just tried two busted controllers.

gkryhewy

I haven't had any issues adjusting from the 360 sticks, including with DR3 and COD... though im not very good at COD anyway. Love the controller.

Ok ill start by saying i noticed right off the bat that these sticks were very very loose of the bat, but i adjusted to them playing it for a week. Fastforward to now, ive just come off a solid week of gaming on the ps4 and decided to turn my xboxone back on for the first time to play a game because peggle came out. While downloading i decided to jump back in to dead rising, and mother of god them sticks man, its like last gen when i had been on 360 for a while then booted up my ps3. I found it hard to control the sticks are just insanely loose, akin to the ds3.

Why did ms change them, 360 had the best sticks in gaming ever, if i dont keep up playing xboxone regular im going to have real bad issues returning.

Anyone else finding these troubles?.

Wow. I'm surprised you even have the console. You've been complaining incessantly about MS and the XBO months before it released. Then you bought it and you've been complaining about it ever since. Weird.

ElementJJ

Banned
I got to try the X1 at my local GAME on Forza 5. Im a long time Forza player so when I held the controller there was lots of things that hit me straight away.

The pad is comfier to hold than the DS4 for me.

The Analogue Sticks feel lovely to grip, the texture is great.
They are too tall and loose, i had less precision while steering than with a 360 pad.

The Trigger rumble is cool, but i was overwhelmed with information, this might just need getting used too. I couldnt tell from the rumble what the car was doing anymore. Im not sure if ABS was enabled, a kid kept pressing buttons on the 2nd remote... Why is the 2nd remote active in this game when in single player.....
The trigger rumble made me lose sight of the pad rumble.

The triggers are really comfy, but again they are insanely loose. How are you meant to get precise throttle and brake action with these triggers?

I didnt get to try the bumpers. Didnt notice a difference on the ABXY buttons.

Sad day for racers. Maybe similar effect on FPS as aiming is more difficult i guess.

level44

They're better, much more precise and no dead zones to speak off.

Do you even own an XB1, because your post history indicates otherwise, so this seems more than just a little disingenuous on your part. I'm just saying, having lurked on GAF for a while I've noticed you constantly try to shit on everything Microsoft related.

Have you ever even seen, let alone touched, a Xbox One controller in person?

I've played a good few hours at my friends house.
We even used the kinect a couple of times.
The reason I shit on Microsoft so much is because it seems the majority of information that I learn about the xbone is pretty bad. I'm not going to hold back just because it may hurt someone else's feelings.

Anion

I know, that's why I said it. I don't believe he's ever even seen or touched one in the flesh.

Haha, okay.

I agree with you though, I think the sticks make it feel more accurate. I've noticed it in the livery editor where I can actually use the sticks to make fine adjustments.

Top Bottom