• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets talk about xboxone sticks.

I got to try the X1 at my local GAME on Forza 5. Im a long time Forza player so when I held the controller there was lots of things that hit me straight away.

The pad is comfier to hold than the DS4 for me.

The Analogue Sticks feel lovely to grip, the texture is great.
They are too tall and loose, i had less precision while steering than with a 360 pad.

The Trigger rumble is cool, but i was overwhelmed with information, this might just need getting used too. I couldnt tell from the rumble what the car was doing anymore. Im not sure if ABS was enabled, a kid kept pressing buttons on the 2nd remote... Why is the 2nd remote active in this game when in single player.....
The trigger rumble made me lose sight of the pad rumble.

The triggers are really comfy, but again they are insanely loose. How are you meant to get precise throttle and brake action with these triggers?

I didnt get to try the bumpers. Didnt notice a difference on the ABXY buttons.

Sad day for racers. Maybe similar effect on FPS as aiming is more difficult i guess.

Forza 5s physics have a learning curve, and so do the rumble triggers.

If its not something you've ever experienced before, you're obviously not going to know what everything is/means right off the bat.

I can pretty much guarantee that if you spent at least a day with the game instead of just trying it in a shop you'd never even think to say things like "how are you meant to get precise throttle/brake action with these triggers".

Forza 5 is not an easy pick and play game with assists turned off. If you don't put in a good amount of practice, you'll be amazed at how you can't even take the first corner in a rear wheel drive car without spinning out. Its happened in every "first look" video I've watched.

If you've only got a short amount of time to play in a store without being able to get a proper feel for both a controller that you've never used before, new rumble feedback that you've never felt before and the physics in the game, I can see how person could come to the conclusion that something is just "off".

That said, did you check what assists were on? There are turning, brake and acceleration (traction control) assists that can easily make you feel like someone else is doing something with the game. I've never check to see if a second pad could be used to control the other players car (ridiculous if true, but I don't think it is), but if you feel like you're not fully in control it sounds like you had lots of assists turned on.

legacyzero

Banned
I've yet to try the Xbone controller yet. But this confirms my suspicion. Xbox 360 sticks were like this as well. Loose, dead zone, and it gets horribly worse over time to where I was buying a new controller every 6 months or so.

My DS4, however... hasnt moved at all. No wiggle whatsoever. Damn good.

Yards

Banned
I've played a good few hours at my friends house.
We even used the kinect a couple of times.
The reason I shit on Microsoft so much is because it seems the majority of information that I learn about the xbone is pretty bad. I'm not going to hold back just because it may hurt someone else's feelings.

I'd like you to look over your post history and adopt the perspective of someone other than yourself. What does it tell you? I know what it tells me.

Plasma

Banned
I noticed this when I popped DR3 in on launch day. I kept the sensitivity at default and got used to it after a couple of hours though.

Cynn

Sony went for sticks more like the 360 with the DS4 and MS went with sticks more like the DS3 with the X1.

Grass is always greener?

blazeuk

Mine are definitely looser and they're worse than the 360 ones for me, I imagine it's something you won't notice too much after you've used it a lot though (it's not like it's DS3 bad). There's quite a few problems with the new controller though, the bumpers are awful and I'm not convinced by the new stick grips either. I can see why a lot of people were praising the new DS4 and saying it was better, I can't believe how much it's improved given how terrible I found the DS3, it's the better of the 2 IMO.

G_Berry

Banned
Sony went for sticks more like the 360 with the DS4 and MS went with sticks more like the DS3 with the X1.

Grass is always greener?
The xbox one sticks are nothing like the PS3's.

The DS had the WORST dead zone and the sticks were super loose aswell.

Anion

I'd like you to look over your post history and adopt the perspective of someone other than yourself. What does it tell you? I know what it tells me.
Arg, bro don't feed him. I know it's tempting and easy, but it will make him come back more!

Edit:
He's back lol

LuchaShaq

Banned
Not a fan if the loose sticks. They took my biggest beef from the ds3 and fucked up the 360 pad with this nonsense.

Considering their decision making as a whole we are luck ms doesn't have rusty nails in place of thumb sticks.

madmackem

Wow. I'm surprised you even have the console. You've been complaining incessantly about MS and the XBO months before it released. Then you bought it and you've been complaining about it ever since. Weird.

I have? Am i not allowed to bring it up, or should i run my post by you before i do?.

GavinGT

Banned
I'm loving them for DR3, but I am a bit apprehensive about how I'll perform in competitive shooters. And it'll probably affect me more than most since I have a pretty shaky body as it is.

Luckily I'll probably spend my winter break working at my buddy's controller modding shop, so I'll just have them address all my controller grievances while I'm there.

I was shocked at how loose they were. I am playing on the DS4, went back to DS3, and just could not handle the sticks. Just 2 months ago, I'd have had no issue. And I'm sure I can adjust. But tighter sticks just feel better.

Top Bottom