• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

KageMaru

They are busy looking for new CEO and fixing Xbox One, please understand.

IdAqOt8.jpg

Well they really need to stop dropping the ball by missing these critical opportunities. It's bad enough that we need to wait until possibly next summer before 8.1 hits.

It's odd really. It looks like WP8 is more successful than Windows RT, but we see RT8.1 before WP8.1.

No fun allowed, Van. No fun allowed. My Windows Phone 7 OT and OT2 both didn't have a subtitle and they were good. Hell, I'd say they were even better without it. It was so good, even the guys in the Android ghetto copied it for their previous OT (and Andrex had to ruin it with the new OT, of course). The problem is that those subtitles are usually stupid inside jokes and they wear out very quickly, but they have to last for 20.000 posts. It's stupid.

You could argue that the GS3 needs the additional RAM, whereas the Ativ S doesn't. ;-) And yes, a 2012 phone should be less than $50 with a contract. Like I said in the OT, if you're on Sprint, don't get a Windows Phone.
that's also what i said in the post you replied to! maybe they'll get an ATIV S 2 soon...

If anyone wants in on the beta for lifelogger, shoot me an pm. This time it's near release, so you will be uncovering some bugs that I simply can't find (integration with social networks...I can't test other people's accounts :) )

I'm going to try to submit a beta this weekend or maybe Monday/Tuesday.

Doffen

Surface Phone 2 fan design:

I doubt they could get it down to that size, but it's still kinda gorgeous.

This is what I want, but I would gladly sacrifice the slimness for better battery and camera.
I also wouldn't hate physical buttons, the capacitive gets really annoying sometimes.

maeh2k

Looking for a cheap wireless charger for my mother for Christmas.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these?
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Qi-Wireless-Charger-Senderanlage-Pad-fur-Nokia-Lumia920-HTC-EU-Stecker-schwarz-/380718579827 (Brot, was that the one you got?)
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Pure-Qi-Induktiv-Ladegerat-Wireless-Charger-Ladematte-weis-Nokia-Lumia-920-925-/281206482285

Is anyone using their wireless charger together with a flip case for the phone? My mother is using one of those flip cases with like half a cm of leather and plastic at the back of the phone. Would that be an issue?

Edit: Has anyone tried the Nokia DT-601? With its size it seems like placing the 920 might be a hassle. The DT-900 is still over-priced here.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Qi-Wireless-Charger-Senderanlage-Pad-fur-Nokia-Lumia920-HTC-EU-Stecker-schwarz-/380718579827 (Brot, was that the one you got?)
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Pure-Qi-Induktiv-Ladegerat-Wireless-Charger-Ladematte-weis-Nokia-Lumia-920-925-/281206482285

Is anyone using their wireless charger together with a flip case for the phone? My mother is using one of those flip cases with like half a cm of leather and plastic at the back of the phone. Would that be an issue?

Edit: Has anyone tried the Nokia DT-601? With its size it seems like placing the 920 might be a hassle. The DT-900 is still over-priced here.

I have the first one and it works well. The beep when you put the phone on the plate is slightly annoying, but that's it.

maeh2k

I have the first one and it works well. The beep when you put the phone on the plate is slightly annoying, but that's it.

Have you used it with a case or could you try putting something between the plate and the phone to see if it'll still work?

If there are any issues with the flip case, having to remove the case to charge the phone would kill the convenience of the charger and thus the whole point of wireless charging.

Edit: allegedly these things should work with non-metallic cases:
ViewImage.aspx

Win from inner to appearance!

Have you used it with a case or could you try putting something between the plate and the phone to see if it'll still work?

If there are any issues with the flip case, having to remove the case to charge the phone would kill the convenience of the charger and thus the whole point of wireless charging.

I have the official silicon gel case and it works with the charger. It might be slower, but I charge the phone over night, so I wouldn't really notice it. Can't comment on the leather flip cases. My mother got one for the 520, but neither does it come with wireless charging, nor would my 920 fit into it.

maeh2k

I have the official silicon gel case and it works with the charger. It might be slower, but I charge the phone over night, so I wouldn't really notice it. Can't comment on the leather flip cases. My mother got one for the 520, but neither does it come with wireless charging, nor would my 920 fit into it.

Just ordered it. Hope it works well. Thanks for you input.

They all have to start from somewhere.

That's true. I'm just a bit bitter and envy the guy for having that job. I'd love to do that. Still, explains some of the bullshit on WMPU. Surur is probably around that age, too. Can't explain his post about telling a guy to kill himself otherwise.

Jesus :lol

He looks 25~30 from his little avatar.

Oh, I'm sure he is over 20, but mentally, that guy can't be over 15, just like most batshit insane fanboy man-children on the internet.

Again:

"Brian S Hall from the RRW for example writes that “The real reason why Windows Phone has failed because there is no good reason for it to exist,” saying it does not offer a superior user experience in social networks, browsing, email, playing games and listening to music – the main uses of a smartphone these days.

Brian, I have news for you. There is no real reason for your existence either. You lack insight, there are millions of other bloggers who could do your job better, and I suggest therefore you should go kill yourself."

MCD

Oh, I'm sure he is over 20, but mentally, that guy can't be over 15, just like most batshit insane fanboy man-children on the internet.

Again:

"Brian S Hall from the RRW for example writes that “The real reason why Windows Phone has failed because there is no good reason for it to exist,” saying it does not offer a superior user experience in social networks, browsing, email, playing games and listening to music – the main uses of a smartphone these days.

Brian, I have news for you. There is no real reason for your existence either. You lack insight, there are millions of other bloggers who could do your job better, and I suggest therefore you should go kill yourself."

vi8L4nC.png

hwalker84

Guys... Just played with the 1520 I kinda love it!!! The screen looks absurdly good. Looks like its a sticker on top of the phone. 3 rows isn't that bad. Almost bought it. The 2520 is super sexy.

Tomcat

thinking of ordering this. pretty cheap I hope I wont get screwed lol

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400562962886?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Tomcat

Pretty cheap. One difference I see to the first one I linked, is that this one lists a charging distance of 5mm whereas the one I linked lists a distance of 10mm. Maybe the more expensive ones do have a bit more range (which might be a concern with some thicker cases).

yes probably that's true.
I don't see any charger too. can we use a typical mobile charger with that?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
What does the little encircled dot on the top right of the status bar mean (left of battery status)?

Somewhat off-topic but the Lumia thread is quiet so I'm going to crosspost here.

When Windows RT inevitably gets killed off is there any chance the Lumia 2520 could get moved to real Windows or whatever comes next? Really tempted to grab one but it'd be a shame to do so and end up stuck with the dead OS.

PG2G

Somewhat off-topic but the Lumia thread is quiet so I'm going to crosspost here.

When Windows RT inevitably gets killed off is there any chance the Lumia 2520 could get moved to real Windows or whatever comes next? Really tempted to grab one but it'd be a shame to do so and end up stuck with the dead OS.

I don't expect Windows RT to go away anytime soon. It is part of Windows 8 and it sounds like they will be working on aligning it with Windows Phone 8. If you're fine running non-Desktop apps you should be okay.

RT isn't getting killed off. RT and Windows Phone will morph into one.

joshschw

You have no idea what any of that means.

You have no idea what any of that means.

As I mentioned elsewhere I was confusing the Pro 2's specs with the Surface 2(ARM) for some bizarre reason. Exams and lack sleep get to you :p No need to be rude in any case, or if you're going to be rude at least bother to sarcastically reveal the great knowledge you process.

And given there barely any RT devices on the market it doesn't seem like it will be around for much longer as is. I was just asking if the 2520 would get upgraded to their next tablet OS, aren't they supposed to combine the Windows Phone/Metro App stores? And if they do that would no longer be RT as it stands which is all I meant.

Alright:

Here's some more screenshots for lifeLogger:

http://imgur.com/a/V6c4h

It's a digital journal that is meant passively collect your digital footprint through life. Through Facebook, Twitter, SkyDrive, (soon Flickr and Google services...), it will attempt to unify your social moments to make a digital dictionary that is tailored for you.

You can create collections of photos and notes and pin them to your start screen. Light and Dark theme. It takes photos from your camera roll, or has a built-in camera if you'd prefer. You can also write private notes from within the app, or use it as a very light twitter client. I hope to in the future create a webservice that will allow you to share your custom journals with others, or through the use of NFC.

Some photographs

Calling for anyone and everyone who'd like to login with facebook or twitter and make sure I'm not busted before final release post Christmas break. Shoot me a pm with your Microsoft email and I'd be grateful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom