• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

hadareud

The Translator
heh

You seem a bit down lastflowers. Must be frustrating to have things like that leak, to be fair. The problem with leaks is that they instantly make the new features things of the past.

When they are actually announced nobody gives a fuck about them anymore and only cares about "new" new features and if there are none, everything will be shit.

The delays are frustrating though. I didn't really expect 8.1 to be out in time for the end of the year with the kernel change and all the catching up that had to be done with the GDR updates, but early 2014 should have been expected. If it's a case of an announcement and immediate release in April it's still fine too - but if it's an announcement for a release in the (late) summer, that's really not very good at all. Not good enough.

It would also mean that the initial wave of WP8 devices will have been out for longer than 18 months, which begs the question of whether Microsoft will actually update them. If they don't, the shit-storm will deservedly be enormous.

edit: here's the 18 month deadlines

920 April 2014
820 April 2014
822 April 2014
810 March 2014
620 June 2014
928 November 2014
720 October 2014
520 October 2014
521 October 2014
925 December 2014
1020 January 2015
625 March 2015

PG2G

I vaguely remember reading that they pushed the support beyond 18 months but I can't find anything to back that up atm.

hadareud

The Translator
I'm pretty certain that they will release the update for all phones, but I would be surprised if there wouldn't quite a bit of advance moaning and fud before there's a firm confirmation that they will.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
That reminds me that there was no 920-level device from Nokia this year, and that's sad. The 920 brought features like super sensitive screens, wireless charging, and optical image stabilization to the mainstream. Just about every phone is expected to have some or all of those features now, but that wasn't the case when the 920 was announced. Not to mention the high refresh rate screens, every key feature was useful, no gimmicks. Nokia branded it as the world's most innovative smartphone, and they were right.

The 1020 pushed the envelope on optics only, and no other phone has followed suit. I hope Nokia/Microsoft has something special hardware wise next year, that off screen touch thing sounds gimmicky.

Milchjon

That reminds me, didn't Samsung put their camera and mobile phone departments together recently?

Looks like they're trying to catch up there.

KageMaru

I can totally see it launching in June. Why so slow, WP team?

I wonder if the need to get the Xbox one out the door plus the Windows 8.1/RT8.1 updates pulled resources from WP8.1. If so, they probably thought GDR3 was good enough for this year.

It's kind of sad that Ballmer previously expressed regret on investing more man power on Vista at the expense of Windows mobile, but it appears to be happening all over again.

hwalker84

I wonder if the need to get the Xbox one out the door plus the Windows 8.1/RT8.1 updates pulled resources from WP8.1. If so, they probably thought GDR3 was good enough for this year.

It's kind of sad that Ballmer previously expressed regret on investing more man power on Vista at the expense of Windows mobile, but it appears to be happening all over again.

As far as I'm concerned Lastflowers is the only member on the team. All I see in my head is him in a dark room coding with Joe Belfiore cracking a whip every time we complain about Microsoft being slow to catch up.

hadareud

The Translator
heh

Would be interesting to know what the resources and the staffing of the WP team look like in comparison to Apple and Google.

For me, this is the first delay of WP8.1. Like I said, it releasing alongside W8.1 was never going to happen considering the kernel change and the resulting catch-up releases.

The release now being pushed back to April at the earliest stings a bit, I have to say. Especially since it very likely won't be released in April, but a few months down the line.

It's less than ideal just now when WP is starting to gain traction in the market. To release in early 2014 would have been ideal coming off several quarters of decent growth. Release in Q3 2014 and who knows how another half year of no new flagship phones and associated features will impact on their sales numbers. Not positively, I would think.

PG2G

In June for brand new devices is still too late but probably true. AT&T probably won't even allow the current crop to get 8.1 or will finally sign off on it 4Q 2014.

I know we like to give AT&T crap, but the one major update Windows Phone has had, they were one of the first to give it out. Them not caring about minor updates doesn't necessarily mean they'll sit on their ass for the larger platform updates.

Edit: I will be hopping on whatever dev or beta version comes out though!

PG2G

Looks like the first Instagram Beta update is out. Glad to see it being updated. Every time we get a new and unfinished app I have a fear its going to stay that way for a year lol

from wmpoweruser:

Instagram Beta V .2 update contains bug and crash fixes, UI improvements, and the following additional features:
- Tag people in photos
- Photo Maps

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
According to Tom Warren, the quick settings bar in WP8.1 will be customizable so you can put what you want in there. Nice!! That is something new.

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah, that does sound very good.

Not having settings that you don't need shoved down your throat and being able to add what you actually need is excellent.

PG2G

I hope they let apps put custom controls on the volume bar. It'd be nice if you could access the Pandora (or Nokia Music) like/dislike buttons without having to go into the actual apps.

Does Android or iOS do that?

According to Tom Warren, the quick settings bar in WP8.1 will be customizable so you can put what you want in there. Nice!! That is something new.
Yeah that's pretty great.

An obvious example is something like Bluetooth on/off on a quick settings menu, but I never use it, so customizing will be very nice to have.

Razdek

Banned
WP really has messed up up bluetooth support for devices. I have a bluetooth headset adapter can sync it to all my other machines (Surface, iPAD, Android tablet and phone) but for some reason it keeps getting disconnected on my Lumia 520. This is the device I bought it for to use with XBOX music and it doesn't work.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
WP really has messed up up bluetooth support for devices. I have a bluetooth headset adapter can sync it to all my other machines (Surface, iPAD, Android tablet and phone) but for some reason it keeps getting disconnected on my Lumia 520. This is the device I bought it for to use with XBOX music and it doesn't work.

Do you have GDR3 on it? Thought there was some Bluetooth fixes with GDR3

kharma45

The delays are frustrating though. I didn't really expect 8.1 to be out in time for the end of the year with the kernel change and all the catching up that had to be done with the GDR updates, but early 2014 should have been expected. If it's a case of an announcement and immediate release in April it's still fine too - but if it's an announcement for a release in the (late) summer, that's really not very good at all. Not good enough.

It would also mean that the initial wave of WP8 devices will have been out for longer than 18 months.

Yeah that's a concern for me. Even if the update is announced in April I can't see us actually getting anything before June or so.

As for the older devices getting 8.1, I can't see that not happening. Phones like the 520 have made WP (relatively) successful, it'd be a hugely cunty move to ignore them. Plus with the ability to save apps to SD it would seem that they're still very much in the main picture.

Some of it is new.

Quick settings, drag down, bing smart search etc.

None of that was rumoured before, right?

Quick settings wasn't new. Bing Smart Search is less than a leak and more of a nobrainer. And there were talks about all that before. Not sure if in public, though.

hadareud

The Translator
Us talking about what makes sense or not or what we expect to be added doesn't mean it's not new though.

The drag down to access notifications and quick settings was definitely new to my knowledge (we were speculating how the notification center would work all the time because we didn't expect them to copy the Android drag down that Apple had previously already stolen).

f0lken

Subway Surfers is out for WP8. First the Michelin App, now this. Brot should stop complaining.

Does anyone else just download everything just to show support? Lol I knew about Subway Surfer but don't really care about it and yet I just downloaded it to my phone

Us talking about what makes sense or not or what we expect to be added doesn't mean it's not new though.

The drag down to access notifications and quick settings was definitely new to my knowledge (we were speculating how the notification center would work all the time because we didn't expect them to copy the Android drag down that Apple had previously already stolen).

See, that's why I thought we already talked about this.

wp81_concept.png

And please, let's not lower the bar to Android level in here. Or are you telling me you're also getting excited about an IE sync leak next?

E: and I did it again. I killed my data for this month while updating apps and now I'm on a cap again, just because I forgot to turn on my Wifi at home. Where the hell are the location aware profiles, Joe?

Doffen

Does anyone else just download everything just to show support? Lol I knew about Subway Surfer but don't really care about it and yet I just downloaded it to my phone

Yeah, did the same with Instagram, Vine, iFruit, Temple Run and the disney games.

And please, let's not lower the bar to Android level in here. Or are you telling me you're also getting excited about an IE sync leak next?

E: and I did it again. I killed my data for this month while updating apps and now I'm on a cap again, just because I forgot to turn on my Wifi at home. Where the hell are the location aware profiles, Joe?
Hey dont joke about IE sync. I was on my phone this morning, came across a really long read I wanted to check out on my laptop later and then I remembered no IE sync yet.

Wouldn't mind Location aware profiles either. Also blew through my cap by about a GB this month on accident..Luckily though rogers came out with a rewards program and gave us enough start up points for 2 extra GB applied to any month you want.

Ya caught me. I have so many apps I don't particularly care for if only to show support.

Milchjon

Does anyone else just download everything just to show support?

I download probably like 70% of the apps on WPCentral mainly to see if they're somehow for me.

Also, I don't quite understand the current discussion. Complaints about delays, sure, but "we've seen/heard/deduced this stuff before" doesn't really take away from its usefulness...

KageMaru

Yup, do the same. I download the game/app, play with it for a few minutes to see if its for me, and make sure to rate & review it before I uninstall it.

I download probably like 70% of the apps on WPCentral mainly to see if they're somehow for me.

Also, I don't quite understand the current discussion. Complaints about delays, sure, but "we've seen/heard/deduced this stuff before" doesn't really take away from its usefulness...

It doesn't take away from its usefulness but I don't see complaints against the usefulness of said features. Most of us are concerned the update may lack new and innovative features that would give people more of a reason to look at the platform.

flippedb

Banned
I'm running out of internal storage space on my 620 and, according to the Data Manager on Settings, my Temporary Files are occupying over 2.5 GB. I've tried to delete them several times now, but no luck, after 30 minutes of "Deleting Files" I decided to cancel the process. What's weird, is that, according to the Lumia Data Manager, my Temporary Files are under 100 MB.

Sucks.

Special C

Ok Folks, I'm finally ditching the garbage that is my iPhone 4 and want to pick up a Windows phone. I'm on Verizon and would PREFER to not buy one through the carrier and renew my contract (will lose my unlimited data). Can I get a good Windows phone without renewing for a decent price anywhere?

I'm guessing I should add that I use my phone as a media player (music only) quite often. So storage and a good media player matter,

Ok Folks, I'm finally ditching the garbage that is my iPhone 4 and want to pick up a Windows phone. I'm on Verizon and would PREFER to not buy one through the carrier and renew my contract (will lose my unlimited data). Can I get a good Windows phone without renewing for a decent price anywhere?

I'm guessing I should add that I use my phone as a media player (music only) quite often. So storage and a good media player matter,

Is the Lumia 520 (or a variant of it) on Verizon? If so go for that. I think the current price in the US for it is sub $100

PG2G

Is the Lumia 520 (or a variant of it) on Verizon? If so go for that. I think the current price in the US for it is sub $100

Nope, just Lumia 928 and Lumia 822 as far as I know. If you can wait til early January, the Lumia 929 will be announced and maybe released so you might see the price of the 928 drop.

Edit: Looks like there is the ATIV Odyssey which has only 8 gigs of memory so if you install lots of apps and games you might want to avoid it. It does support Micro SD unlike any of the Lumias though, which is useful for media.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Rubino tweeted that WP is getting a little better tonight, wonder what that means?

edit: big update for WhatsApp

Razdek

Banned
I'm running out of internal storage space on my 620 and, according to the Data Manager on Settings, my Temporary Files are occupying over 2.5 GB. I've tried to delete them several times now, but no luck, after 30 minutes of "Deleting Files" I decided to cancel the process. What's weird, is that, according to the Lumia Data Manager, my Temporary Files are under 100 MB.

Sucks.

I get that on my 520 and I know the feeling. The worst is when you upgrade and it tells you it has no room so you have to basically uninstall all your apps and reinstall them after. My other is at 2.3 GB so I hope this rumor of being able to store apps on the SD card is true for 8.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom