• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why you need to buy 3D Classics Galaxy Force II (3DS): It's the PS2 SEGA AGES ver.!

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/12/12/3d-galaxy-force-ii-going-run/

MY GOD! o_O My mind is blown, they went the extra mile to bring over the PS2 assets which were 4X the resolution of the original arcade version, AND you can unlock the original Arcade version by clearing the game! AND it supports Circle Pad Pro!

Hardcore Gaming 101 has comparison shots:

Arcade:

galaxyforce-arcade2.png

PS2:

galaxyforce-ps22.png

Edit: 3DS:

zlCfzRPEtFEGymE6oZ

Genesis:

galaxyforce-genesis2.png

Wow, it's like gens apart the three of them, what the crap?

Here's a trailer of the 3DS version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtCJgY1DwRg

You can see the fire level in the video, and the same fire wave as the PS2 version which stands out the most between the Arcade and PS2 versions.

I said god damn. o_O Can't wait to see what else they bring to the table! Anyone know if Afterburner II (the next game) got a PS2 SEGA AGES version?

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
I said god damn. o_O Can't wait to see what else they bring to the table! Anyone know if Afterburner II (the next game) got a PS2 SEGA AGES version?

There was a Sega Ages release but it was one of the early ones in the line, when they were remaking old games using really low budget 3D graphics.

For the 3DS port of After Burner II, they are adding widescreen (like Super Hang On and Space Harrier) as well as translucent effects for the missile trail smoke (like Galaxy Force II) though I don't believe there are any upgraded assets.

There was a Sega Ages release but it was one of the early ones in the line, when they were remaking old games using really low budget 3D graphics.

For the 3DS port of After Burner II, they are adding widescreen (like Super Hang On and Space Harrier) as well as translucent effects for the missile trail smoke (like Galaxy Force II) though I don't believe there are any upgraded assets.

That would've been by Sims who did the first 13 I believe, then M2 took over.

I always find it real neat to read about programmers trying to optimize the heck out of a game to squeeze as much performance out as possible.

Will give the game a look later.

Haha, so many multiple threads. Still: approve of another!

Just had to, because I just assumed it was a "straight" port of the arcade version. Because I got the idea that they go "this will be based on the Genesis version, now this will be based on the Arcade version", boy I was wrong, they went with the PS2 version. o_O

*bow* M2 *bow* indeed. It is now bought and downloaded, so excited.

CLEEK

yeah. Never played GFII before today, and I'm loving every second of it. Looks absolutely incredible, with one of the best implementations of 3D you can get on the 3DS.

My Pokemon play time has taken a huge nose dive since the 3D Classics range came out over here.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Speaking of the 3DS AGES releases, some indie devs were telling me I really have to pick up the Shinobi 3 release. I really need to do that...

AmyS

Something I posted in the SEGA 3D Classics thread:

back in 1991-'92 I'd go to Galaxy Game Center located in suburban Palatine, IL. on Rand Rd. and Dundee.

On Sunday mornings they had a free play thing going on for around 3 or 3 1/2 hours until 12:30pm, for a $4 entry fee. Every arcade game they had was set to free play for that time with the exception of their Super Deluxe moving Galaxy Force (or GFII) machine, complete with the ropes to keep people away from the full-motion hydraulic cabinet. That one was always 75 cents, even when the rest of the games were set for freeplay.

I think that was the only Galaxy Force I / II cab I ever saw & played in the Chicago area, or anywhere else for that matter.

The roped-off Super Deluxe Type Galaxy Force II (or GFI ?) at Galaxy Game Center in Palatine was exactly like the one(s?) pictured below:

ud6AuoN.jpg

q16DL1M.jpg

Also here is an old web page dedicated to Galaxy Force II

If anyone has definitive information about the differences between arcade Galaxy Force and Galaxy Force II, as well as what cabinet types Sega made for both I & II, I'd really like to know.

Another thing, I really ought to somehow find find PlayStation2 Sega Ages 2500 vol. 30: Galaxy Force II, one way or another to play it on PCSX2 on the laptop hooked up to the 40 inch HDTV via HDMI and play it with the generic GameStop Xbox 360-like pad or whatever it is I have.

Yes Boss!

Love.

I buy this game for all my 3DS systems...J-XL, NA XL, 2DS. Gotta support these initiatives. God bless SEGA.

I also got a seperate 2DS that is just solely dedicated to these M2 ports...only thing that goes on them. And, yes, Altered Beast is on all of them.

D1D3B206-9950-4082-BAD2-64F2E693316B.jpg

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

Another thing, I really ought to somehow find find PlayStation2 Sega Ages 2500 vol. 30: Galaxy Force II, one way or another to play it on PCSX2 on the laptop hooked up to the 40 inch HDTV via HDMI and play it with the generic GameStop Xbox 360-like pad or whatever it is I have.
regarding the bolded section, I believe I read in the interview that was posted today with M2 that GF2 added bug fixes and stage select.

I think GF1, like Afterburner1, was never actually put into production, it's just what they called the loketest version and fixed a bunch of stuff, so they internally called it a sequel

beaten!!

AmyS

http://blogs.sega.com/2013/12/12/sega-3d-classics-–-galaxy-force-ii-interview-with-developer-m2/
The originalGalaxy Force ended after only four stages, but a sequel was released about two months later asGalaxy Force II which fixed a number of issues with the game, added two more stages, and allowed you to select your starting stage. Effectively all machines in operation were converted to II, so unmodified originals became rare.

Thanks!

Found this vid of the one of the Super Deluxe arcade cabs in Japan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9spzvHhnJso#t=30

I guess this must have been on the PS2 disc..

TDLink

This is definitely the best home system version of the game ever. Simply a great game. Definitely the best of the first Sega 3D Classics series too.

Platy

The Circle Pad pro is new to me ...

I never played the game before, but this is looking like an awesome game!

How StarFoxish is it ?

I also got a seperate 2DS that is just solely dedicated to these M2 ports...only thing that goes on them. And, yes, Altered Beast is on all of them.

D1D3B206-9950-4082-BAD2-64F2E693316B.jpg

...but they are 3D classics !

How StarFoxish is it ?
No OutRun-like stage progression and bombs aside, Galaxy Force might very well have influenced the original Star Fox team. The space setting, sense of non-linearity both in structure and within stages (different ways to score-attack), and grand glut of targets certainly applies to both games. GFII doesn't have bosses, though, instead opting for straightforward rides through enemy territory towards an end-level gimme. It's generally more challenging than Star Fox due to the energy counter mechanic pressuring players to combo as many groups of enemies as possible—the game's very beatable once you get the hang of this.

stuminus3

Protip: the 3DS version lets you set the throttle to max by default so you don't have to hold a button down. It's a good option.

M2 are the best. I'm loving all the interviews with them throughout this series, they're so passionate about what they do. It's contagious.

How StarFoxish is it ?
Imagine Star Fox but with the speed cranked up to 11 and without all the bullshit. Actually just imagine Star Fox if Sega made it.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Huh, pretty awesome. I thought for sure a 3D Classics conversion of Fantasy Zone II DX was a pipe dream, but M2 being willing to dip into their SEGA AGES work for these conversions gives some pretty strong precedent.

AmyS

I remember not being happy with the 1998 Sega Ages Galaxy Force II on Saturn that I imported for my U.S. Saturn in 2002 along with an ST-Key so I could play Japanese games.

qOKs7LE.jpg

VaCzo8S.jpg

So even though the graphics were very detailed like the arcade and there was all scaling & rotation going on, it moved at 30fps and sometimes less. Not only that but it looked more pixelated than the coin-op arcade for some reason, even though the arcade's resolution was only 320 x 224, as was the resolution of all the Super-Scalar boards and the "lower-end" (lower-end by Sega standards) workhorse System 16 A/B boards that did not have the Super-Scalar tech.

Appaloosa Interactive handled the Saturn version of Galaxy Force II, and probably Power Drift also, unlike the outstanding Saturn versions of Space Harrier, Outrun and After Burner II that were done by Rutubo Games (who also did SH & After Burner Complete on 32X).

Rutubo Games was formed in part by former staff from Dempa according to their Wikipedia entry.

That makes a great deal of sense because Dempa developed most of the Sega arcade ports & translations for the Sharp X68000 computer (Japan's equivalent of Amiga) in the late 80s and early 90s.

Dempa did a respectable version of After Burner II for X68000 in 1989. then that version was used and down ported a bit more to MegaDrive / Genesis in 1990.
So yeah, Genesis After Burner II from 1990 is based on the 1989 X68000 version.

Dempa also did a decent version of Space Harrier for X68000 and what seemed to be pixel exact ports of Alien Syndrome and Fantasy Zone.

Speaking of Fantasy Zone and M2, what I wouldn't give for a 3D version of Fantasy Zone II DX on 3DS.

M2's 16-bit System 16 arcade remake of Fantasy Zone II for PlayStation2, and a few actual arcade units in Japan (originally an 8-bit System E arcade game that was downported to the Master System as Fantasy Zone II: The Tears of Opa-Opa) was made on the System 16 Board with extended RAM, a "System 16C", as defined by M2's Mr. Hori in Fantasy Zone Complete Collection's PS2 manual. System 16C apparently had more work RAM than the System 16B board. http://www.smspower.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11207

sj4U4IH.jpg

3MKev2D.jpg

E05Shn8.jpg

(back of PS2 FZ:CC box)
SMwJuzs.jpg

I have played the Japanese Windows trial version of Fantasy Zone II DX as well as the full bootleg that exists for MAME. Talk about emulation of an emulation, of an emulation? LOL.

I'd sure be willing to buy a legit stereoscopic 3D version for 3DS.

M2,

iQ3l3cZ.jpg

Huh, pretty awesome. I thought for sure a 3D Classics conversion of Fantasy Zone II DX was a pipe dream, but M2 being willing to dip into their SEGA AGES work for these conversions gives some pretty strong precedent.
No way they'd do any Fantasy Zone as part of their 3D Classics project, since they're focusing on games that definitely benefit from the move to 3D (e.x. Power Drift, Dark Edge). But I too want to see it come over here, however that happens.

Loving the deets, AmyS.

Cody_D165

Banned
Holy shit M2.

I'll fully admit I disliked the Genesis version of this game but that trailer makes me want to buy this so much.

Tizoc

Well guess I'm adding yet another 20 Pounds to my 3DS account.

Grabbing this and Space Harrier along with Spaceship Damrey.

Would love to see more impressions of the 3DS version in here.

You can find more impressions here: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=706669&page=100000

Arcade perfect port with the enhanced graphics and transparency from the PS2 "Neo Classic" mode, running at 60FPS in stereoscopic 3D with the Arcade cabinet mode! There are no words for how much I appreciate this, and I've never played or even heard of the game until last week, but such dedication and technical mastery gives me a boner.

People said the 3D was amazing in this game...but GOD DAMN! I wasn't ready. This absolutely floored me. I am getting that bug-eyed gaze of awe that I rarely get anymore. Never played this before outside of a few miserable moments with the Genesis version, but this sure is a lot better.

Don't forget the 20% off eShop cards sale at Best Buy. It really sweetens the deal if you pick up several SEGA 3D Classics (and you should).

At $5.99 a pop, these God-tier remakes are incredible value compared to the "Rom dumps" of already watered down home versions of most virtual console releases.

M2 are the best. I'm loving all the interviews with them throughout this series, they're so passionate about what they do. It's contagious.

It´s amazing how much love and hard work they put into those small 3DS games.

In a world of Silent Hill and Zone of the Enders HD-collections, thats great !

Top Bottom