• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why you need to buy 3D Classics Galaxy Force II (3DS): It's the PS2 SEGA AGES ver.!

AmyS

Whoa.

I just beat a game of Galaxy Force for the first time in my life, what a feeling!

Never beat it on Master System, or on an Amiga, or in the arcades, or on Genesis, nor emulated in MAME, or even in the import Saturn version.

I feel like a Top Ace Commander now and that shit was like coming out of the screen ya know?

Holyfuck Sega & Nintendo should really do a system together?!

call it

Wee Scale With You Until Youuuu are 4D

Slermy

The Circle Pad pro is new to me ...

I never played the game before, but this is looking like an awesome game!

How StarFoxish is it ?

...but they are 3D classics !

Very!

So glad many more people are playing this. It's truly a classic and one of my all time favorites. This may have dethroned Fire Emblem: Awakening as my favorite 3DS title!

Yes Boss!

This is the one sole game of the first batch that suffers on the 2DS. Not just the lack of 3D but also the smaller screen.

To be played on the XL!

I'd love to see them use the PS2 version again for an HD version on Wii U, I feel they can really make the higher-res assets shine in an HD picture.

And M2-made HD Classics line for Wii U would be lovely, if feasible. :(

And get M2 on DC games on VC stat!

ghibli99

Bought and played a little bit over the past couple days. I find myself gravitating more towards Super Hang-On, but I think it's because I have fonder memories of that and Space Harrier. None of the arcades around where I lived had Galaxy Force, so my sessions with it were limited to Circus Circus in Vegas when my family would go. It still made a heck of an impression on me. I bought it later for the Saturn, which sucked, so I'm pretty thrilled to have this on 3DS. Gonna dive into it more this weekend!

Yes Boss!

Bought and played a little bit over the past couple days. I find myself gravitating more towards Super Hang-On, but I think it's because I have fonder memories of that and Space Harrier. None of the arcades around where I lived had Galaxy Force, so my sessions with it were limited to Circus Circus in Vegas when my family would go. It still made a heck of an impression on me. I bought it later for the Saturn, which sucked, so I'm pretty thrilled to have this on 3DS. Gonna dive into it more this weekend!

Jeeps, my memories of Circus Circus around the same time are of a run-down arcade and Moon Patrol. I don't remember ever seeing this game there :(

Camjo-Z

The fire level in this game feels similar to the first stage of Gradius II... but in 3D! Both were released in 1988, I wonder which came first.

ghibli99

So I just spent way more time than I should have reading those interviews. I badmouthed the Genesis games in another thread, but after reading the interviews and all the hard work and changes they implemented, I'm going to buy them all... even Altered Beast, a game I never did like all that much even back when it was new in arcades and on the Genesis.

Jeeps, my memories of Circus Circus around the same time are of a run-down arcade and Moon Patrol. I don't remember ever seeing this game there :(
I think it was the last time I went before they began putting in in metal detectors and all that crap because of the gang trouble that began occurring there. In the mid/late-'80s, it was like heaven to me, with tons of pinball machines and all the latest and greatest.

Yes Boss!

I think it was the last time I went before they began putting in in metal detectors and all that crap because of the gang trouble that began occurring there. In the mid/late-'80s, it was like heaven to me, with tons of pinball machines and all the latest and greatest.

The last time my family went to vegas was in the late eighties. It was still the old strip...they had just finished building Excalibur out in the middle of nowhere. I've never been back since. I just remember the arcades being rather poor compared to our spots in orange county. Kinda depressing, even to my teen self.

I really don 't remember if I've ever seen a Galaxy Force machine anywhere. I've certainly never played it till this release.

ghibli99

The last time my family went to vegas was in the late eighties. It was still the old strip...they had just finished building Excalibur out in the middle of nowhere. I've never been back since. I just remember the arcades being rather poor compared to our spots in orange county. Kinda depressing, even to my teen self.

I really don 't remember if I've ever seen a Galaxy Force machine anywhere. I've certainly never played it till this release.
Small world... I grew up in SoCal (if that's the Orange County you're talking about). Maybe my standards were low, or I was going to the wrong arcades back home. LOL

Yes Boss!

Small world... I grew up in SoCal (if that's the Orange County you're talking about). Maybe my standards were low, or I was going to the wrong arcades back home. LOL

I'm laguna niguel/dana point/laguna beach. We had pretty good arcades. Even when they collapsed we still had good ones that opened in irvine/costa mesa. Then it all went away at the turn of the century. We ended all playing at the Super K-Mart in aliso viejo (which had a pretty great 24-hour arcade towards the end).

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
This is perfect! My daughter is in love with the "Midnight" flying level in Halo 4, she replays it constantly. She wants more of just that sort of thing. I got her a 3DS for Xmas so the timing couldn't be better. Bonus: I get to play it too. Awwwww yeah, dat Xmas gaming!!

massoluk

Banned
My mini review.
zlCfzRPhugwUp3X1yR

zlCfzRPhugwUp3X1yR

AmyS

The fire level in this game feels similar to the first stage of Gradius II... but in 3D! Both were released in 1988, I wonder which came first.

I don't know what came first in 1988 but..

..I know Konami had some neat levels with solar flares in different versions of Life Force / Salamander and Gradius II. Some better than others.

Even Electronic Gaming Monthly took note of that when they mentioned those effects got better going from NES Life Force to Famicom Gradius II (thanks to the extra chip) way back in their 2nd full issue in mid 1989:

WWI42iU.jpg

(woulda' been nice if they'd showed pics of those levels but ah well)

I still think TAITO is the one who ripped off SEGA's 1988 Galaxy Force II with GALACTIC STORM in 1991-92. -- I mean, COME ON.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=93568193&postcount=63

AmyS

Play-through of FM Towns Galaxy Force II (1990)

This is mostly a recording test. This game runs in 31khz only, so I'm using the XVGA-1v scan converter to give me S-Video for the DVD recorder. The RGB output on this thing is just about perfect, but the S-Video is a bit dark, but when I recorded this I didn't realize the scan converter does have brightness control built in lol. Still here's a direct caputure directly off my FM Towns Fresh. :)

l8urQxT.jpg

cjgsgfK.jpg

Diehard GameFan's review of this version.

tvNC56b.jpg

qXNvyGQ.jpg

Last edited:

Celine

as technical feats go, it goes without saying that this is much more impressive than Mario 3.
Gosh, who would have ever guessed a high-end arcade board could have out performed an old home console :p

Sega was such a graphics whore back in the days.

Dark Edge (1992)
darkedge.png

Virtua Fighter (1993)
virtua-fighter1.jpg

Virtua Fighter 2 (1994)
vf2.png

Virtua Fighter 3 (1996)
12182011_VF3TB.jpg

AmyS

Gosh, who would have ever guessed a high-end arcade board could have out performed an old home console :p

Sega was such a graphics whore back in the days.

Indeed.

Meet SEGA's arcade Y-BOARD HARDWARE -The King of the Super-Scalar boards.

y4owUSW.jpg

HGphbRC.jpg

Main CPU : 3 x MC68000 @ 12.5 MHz
Sound CPU : Z80 @ 4 MHz
Sound chip : YM2151 @ 4 MHz & SegaPCM @ 15.625 MHz
Max Colours : 16384 (4bpp - 16 per sprite, which go through a 16->512 indirection table), then selects which 512 color bank to take from 4096. This is used to do colour rotations (the red-yellow rotation of the lava sprites from Galaxy force for instance) without changing the color palette, also allows it to have sprites that rotate colors and sprites that don't on the same screen, and to get different levels of luminosity as well
Sprite Structure : Uses a linked list of sprites (each sprite includes the number of the next one)
Video resoution : 320 x 224
Board composition : CPU board + Video board
Board Features : 3 68K, nicknamed M, X and Y.
You have a sky gradiant, a first sprite layer which plugs into a full-screen rotation (seen in the the power drift/galaxy force screen tilt), then a second sprite layer (outrun type) on top of them which has priority, and they have full sprite zooming and scaling on both sprite planes.
This hardware uses no tiles at all.

It is no wonder that even Sega's monster 2D/sprite pushing 32-Bit console, the Sega Saturn (with all those CPUs & VDPs) released in Nov. 1994 in Japan, could not handle 1988 Power Drift and Galaxy Force II without the developers (Phant and Appaloosa respectively) having to cut the framerate in half, to 30fps. in both 1998 Japanese SEGA AGES ports for Saturn. --And then there was *still* major slowdown on top of that in Galaxy Force II.

Both Saturn ports should have been handled by Rutubo Games, They would've at least given it their all

Videos of the 30 FPS slowdown-ridden Saturn Galaxy Force II and the 30 FPS Saturn Power Drift

Bonus: 60 FPS Dreamcast Power Drift from Yu Suzuki Game Works Vol 1.
(even tho YouTube does not display 60fps you can still tell Power Drift is much smoother on Dreamcast than it is on Saturn).

SEGA's Y-BOARD arcade hardware powered these games:

G-LOC Air Battle (1990)
Galaxy Force (1988)
Galaxy Force II (1988)
Power Drift (1988) Flier -1- -2- -3-
Power Drift Link (1988)
R-360: G-Loc (1990)
Rail Chase (1991)
Strike Fighter (1991)

Huge thanks and shout outs to both System 16 The Arcade Museum and The Arcade Flier Archive for all the information & images they have and preserve!

AmyS

system16 really is a bible for arcade boards. I don't understand much of their info but this is where I go to know more about games and find similar titles. Quite impressive website.

Same here.

I don't understand all of the info they have, some I do, some I don't, but System16 is my go-to site when I wanna know which games ran on what hardware.

AmyS

Not sure if already posted but NintendoLife's review was really good.

A sense of Super Scale

Galaxy Force II has something of a bad reputation with many players, purely because the domestic ports of the game which followed the arcade release way back in 1988 were, by and large, abysmal. Many fans base their opinion of this on-rails space shooter on the Mega Drive / Genesis version, which was downright unplayable. However, few realise that the reason for the poor quality of the home editions is because the hardware of the time simply couldn't hope to replicate the coin-op original faithfully; simply put, Galaxy Force II represented the cutting-edge of video game graphics at the time of its arcade release.

Like After Burner and After Burner II, Galaxy Force and its sequel are in fact the same game, with the second release being an updated version with gameplay tweaks and additional levels. Built around Sega's Super Scaler board, the arcade version was nestled inside an incredible rotating cabinet which moved in practically every direction imaginable, well and truly placing the player "in the game". Those lucky enough to have encountered this machine in its natural habitat will attest that it's the ultimate Sega coin-op experience, with only the R-360 providing a more immersive ride.

Astonishingly, the magicians at M2 have managed to cram this incredible coin-guzzling epic into the humble 3DS, complete with visual modes which do a surprisingly effective job at conveying what it feels like to step into this monster of an arcade machine. In purely technical terms, Galaxy Force II is M2's finest work to date on Nintendo's handheld; the game runs at 60 fps and features all the graphically trickery that was present in the original. If you want an indication of how well flat, 2D sprites can be used to portray a sense of three dimensional space, look no further — Galaxy Force II doesn't contain a single polygon, yet the impression of rushing through space, avoiding collisions with asteroids and dodging incoming enemy fire is so intense that it puts many modern 3D titles to shame.

Galaxy Force II is a game that was designed expressly to dazzle and amaze with its aesthetics. Each of its six levels is a visual tour de force, effortlessly surpassing what Sega had achieved in both After Burner and Space Harrier. The screen is often packed with detail and there are numerous stand-out moments which are certain to elicit a gasp of astonishment the first time you witness them. From level one's sweeping space battle-cruiser — which drifts ominously into view at the top of the screen — to the amazing interior base sections that are showcased in each stage, Galaxy Force II looks as impressive today as it did a quarter of a century ago. The 3DS-exclusive auto-stereoscopic effect only adds to the spectacle, making it easier to spot incoming threats and navigate the game's tight, twisting passageways.

Conclusion

Galaxy Force II is arguably the culmination of M2's 3D Classics range. Taking one of the most technically advanced coin-ops of its period and transferring it to Nintendo's handheld console — at 60 fps and in 3D, no less — is an achievement which warrants massive praise.
Despite the years that have passed and the rapid advancement of video game graphics, this game never feels like a relic from the past; instead, it's a tantalising glimpse into what interactive entertainment could have looked like had polygons never happened.

Here's the whole review

I still can't get over how pesky the fire serpent placement is on Ashtar. Not that I mind losing energy every now and then, but they break shields too easily! And the lava base graphics seem really saturated compared to other versions of the game. This makes it difficult to tell when I'm about to hit a spout of flame, even worse when I have to avoid a serpent at the same time.

Even the third planet's growing plants aren't as annoying.

R&D

Banned
So I bought Galaxy Force II. 5€ for 38 minutes. Not bad I guess.
Technically I find the game still impressive but the gameplay is really too basic and the aural feedback poor. You don't really have to aim at anything or know what exactly you are destroying. Anyway I'm not going to be harsh on a game from 1988. Cool to see the Star Wars influence and where Star Fox drew inspiration from.

So I bought Galaxy Force II. 5€ for 38 minutes. Not bad I guess.
Technically I find the game still a bit impressive but the gameplay is really too basic and the aural feedback poor. You don't really have to aim at anything or what exactly you are destroying. Anyway I'm not going to be harsh on a game from 1988. You can see the Star Wars influence and where Star Fox drew inspiration from.

After all, is just and old arcade game.

I really liked the game, because the mix of visuals, music and awesome 3D effect is one of the best you can find on 3DS. Is still a very competent shooter, but is really one of those games which has that "eye candy" effect that really stands out. I can say is one of these games that I just replay to enjoy the "trip".

You absolutely need to know what you're doing on arcade settings—this game's no walk in the park, and just getting to the next level is a challenge. There's no fun in credit-feeding (or, in this case, adding energy to the ticker) since the game' s not designed around that. I'd say there's a lot more content here than in other arcade games of the time, just that most of it's unique sprites and alien enemies that fly by quickly (which means spotting them's a pleasure in its own right).

AmyS

I thought about where to best post this, and after some thread searches I decided it would be best here. So yeah...

Some artwork found on PS2 disc. It seems that at least some of it was probably from the FM Towns version's manual. I tried the best I could using the zoom function, please excuse the PlayStation controller symbols over some of the art.

bYMqIgK.jpg

yaVXvnT.jpg

x2tURid.png

kML0T3X.jpg

zQTnZ7X.jpg

sDyAup7.png

The 5th piece is my favorite. It is of course from the first level and you can see the entrance to the fortress in the center of that moon-planet.

Also, I posted this in another thread, the arranged FM Towns soundtrack that's included in the PS2 version: https://youtu.be/tp1sEcrLdbI

Top Bottom