• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OG Xbox Appreciation and Lack of Emulation Thread of the big black box of doom

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Even though it isn't perfect, 360 emulating the OG Xbox makes me sad that the XBO won't be offering any sort of backwards compatibility. I have been picking up excellent old games for my 4.5 year old to play for 2 and 3 dollars. The graphics on a lot still hold up today... Certainly better than the PS2,for sure!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
One other question. I was about to decide on a stock XBOX, but then I remembered that people left and right love modding these. I found one on CL modded with an Xecutor chip and a 180 GB HDD for $150. Seems a little steep to me, but what the hell do I know about this console? Anyway, do you guys think its worth it?

Chips worth it so you don't have to worry about Softmod issues (my x-box has the clock dying/hard to boot up after hours without power issue, dunno if there's a soft mod to fix that) and hard-drive upgrading is a bit easier (IIRC?) than softmodding.

But the price is a little expensive. But if you factor in that in 2002-2005 an X-box was like $100-150 or so, that's around the price ten years ago... so...

Timu

Click both sticks and pull both triggers
I think I forgot about that.

Even though it isn't perfect, 360 emulating the OG Xbox makes me sad that the XBO won't be offering any sort of backwards compatibility. I have been picking up excellent old games for my 4.5 year old to play for 2 and 3 dollars. The graphics on a lot still hold up today... Certainly better than the PS2,for sure!
After the screens I took of PS2 games recently I have to agree, no offense, I still love my PS2 though.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I think I forgot about that.

After the screens I took of PS2 games recently I have to agree, no offense, I still love my PS2 though.

Of course the PS2 was capable of outputting some excellent looking games, but bump mapping, filtering, and higher polygon counts made Xbox look like a mid-gen console than a direct competitor to the PS2.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
After returning for a very satisfying weekend (only thing that could've ruined it was a minor accident to the car)
I come back to the office, and found with this beauty on my desk:

My colleague stopped this from being given to a charity shop by one of hid friends and gave the whole load to me.
I was looking for the crystal version for a while and literally jumped and hugged him first thing.
Got leads and everything, needs a bit of dusting off, I think it will work. The games aren't in the greatest conditions but have all of them apart from the DooMs.
Still, it's an awesome giveaway!

Is there any kind of hex edit you can do to a game's .xbe file to change the resolution? I've seen that PGR 2 can be rendered in 720p if you change certain values in its executable, I was wondering if this was common throughout the Xbox's games. I'd love to run RSC 2 at 720p regardless of how slow it'd be.

Borman

Is there any kind of hex edit you can do to a game's .xbe file to change the resolution? I've seen that PGR 2 can be rendered in 720p if you change certain values in its executable, I was wondering if this was common throughout the Xbox's games. I'd love to run RSC 2 at 720p regardless of how slow it'd be.

Forcing 480p is fairly easy. I havent seen anyone post the proper 720p hex edit, Id love to try on a development console.

Edit: Found it :p

Borman

If not for the HUD issues, PGR2 would look great. Not quite a smooth framerate on my development kit, but really playable.

7XMK4pH.jpg

Posted a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt-LMWSJ9kI

I'm nearing the point to where I'm satisfied with my Xbox collection, only a few titles left I'm actually interested in acquiring, going to softmod my box for the 5 imports worthy/interested in getting lol. I love how easy and really dirt cheap OG Xbox scene is currently, wonder when others will catch on, I know as someone who owned a PS2/GC back in the day I'm really coming to love and prefer any multiplat available title on the xbox, just a really solid console, you can feel the ambition and vision the MS original team of engineer's had.

Anywho have quite a few games I got in a lot that should be arriving anytime, will post pics when I can.

sniperpon

I loved the Xbox; bought one at launch. I had just turned 20, wound up being my platform of choice through the remainder of college. Bought it with Halo and Dead or Alive 3, both of which were fantastic. Played about 200 hours of Morrowind on it, got that game on day 1. Also played just about every other game in the original post. I also remember when the original Splinter Cell came out, had a great time playing that.

I used to sit in the BGM test and listen to this song over and over, anticipating how freaking cool Ninja Gaiden was going to be. Interestingly, the game lived up to my hype, it was that good. Fable as well, great memories of that one.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm nearing the point to where I'm satisfied with my Xbox collection, only a few titles left I'm actually interested in acquiring, going to softmod my box for the 5 imports worthy/interested in getting lol. I love how easy and really dirt cheap OG Xbox scene is currently, wonder when others will catch on, I know as someone who owned a PS2/GC back in the day I'm really coming to love and prefer any multiplat available title on the xbox, just a really solid console, you can feel the ambition and vision the MS original team of engineer's had.

Anywho have quite a few games I got in a lot that should be arriving anytime, will post pics when I can.

Yeah, cheap games are a great thing. But, as we've learned with plenty of other systems, that shit never lasts. But for the time being, it's awesome when you discover a game you think might be interesting, and can buy it with pocket change.

ie: I think I want to buy Rallisport Challenge 2, and have no idea why I never bothered back in the day.

Xboxsegafan187

Neo Member
Figured been lurking long enough and Decided that this is a great thread to share some OG Xbox Collecting.

Sorry for not Posting sooner had a lot of projects at my Job and wasn’t able to post my OG xbox collection and back up my previous posts claim of being a serious Xbox collector. I was able to take an updated pic of my Original Xbox Collection which consists of a Complete Xbox Black Label Set, Complete Xbox Platinum Hits Set, and a Complete Xbox “Best of” Platinum Hits Set.

Also was able to take pics of my Xbox Variant Collection consisting of Special Editions Steelbooks, Bonus Soundtracks, DVD, Games, Collectible Cards, and Bonus Items. Unfortunately I'm missing 10 titles :( for a Complete variant set.

Breakdown of Collection

Total of all Retail US Xbox games including Black Labels, variants, and Platinum Hits=1183

Black Label Xbox Games Set =864 Titles
Grey Platinum Hits Xbox Set =130 Titles
Grey with Red Lettering stating “Best of” Platinum Hits Set =22 Titles
Xbox Variants including Special Editions, Bonus Items, etc. =167 Titles
Total=1183 Titles

First Up Pic of Black Label, Platinum Hits, and “Best of” Platinum Hits Titles aligned in a Row. 1016 Games

gE7s024.jpg

b8te8Yv.jpg

HtidZcA.jpg

Platinum Hits Stack Showing Titles
K6mZTNF.jpg

“Best of” Platinum Hits Set Showing all titles
giNRuIN.jpg

My Xbox Variant Collection Group Pic Showing 157 Titles Missing 10 Titles
btuAHnn.jpg

o8cvEbH.jpg

edCLuwV.jpg

As it stands 1173 out of 1183 not too shabby for a short time collecting.
Will Update when I acquire the 10 titles and post more in depth Original Xbox Game Variants for those into Collecting Original Xbox thanks :D……

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
I think the thread is over....

Man, that's an impressive collection. There are more games in there than in my whole room! (and that almost reaches 500 games for various platforms)

Shaneus

Sweet Jesus, that's one hell of a collection!

I suppose it's still out of the question, but emulation is still out of the question, isn't it? I want to play OG Outrun 2 in 720P :(

Shaneus

That's what I was afraid of :/ Thankfully my Xbox wasn't as much of a pain to setup as I originally thought, so bathed in the excessive bloom of Outrun 2 and pure awesomeness of PGR2 (complete with DLC!) last night. So good.

Jamix012

I might have my capcitor replaced.

I happen to be in the UK right now so I picked up a copy of Xbox Taito Legends 2. It's region free so I'm excited to give it a whirl when I get back.

Borman

Its something Ive been talking about for years. It was a big enough issue that Microsoft removed some of the capacitors in their prototypes.

Elija2

Its something Ive been talking about for years. It was a big enough issue that Microsoft removed some of the capacitors in their prototypes.

I was gonna say, are all of your Xboxes already taken care of? If not, I guess you've got something to do this weekend. :p

Borman

I was gonna say, are all of your Xboxes already taken care of? If not, I guess you've got something to do this weekend. :p

Its something I monitor closely already. The issue is something that collectors of rare consoles need to consider : Keep it closed up so no one can say it is altered but risk damage, or open them and fix them properly but potentially cost some money. The only consoles I really worry about are the unique ones or nearly unique.

wish i never sold mine. had hundred of hours of music saved on there and spent tons of hours making custom stadium music in NFL 2K5. that feature needs to comeback.

televator

So it turned out that the component cable I had was actually for a 360... d'oh!

So I decided id look on CL on the off chance someone was selling some. Well I found some... that came with an xbox... and original retail box... and 2 wireless controllers... and 11 games... for $25. Component cables are monster brand too.

It was a good grab I think.

televator

Thanks! 6 of the games were shit sports games. The other 5 are spy hunter, PGR, PGR2, Midway Arcade, and the double game Sega GT with JSRF. I already own JSRF though.

baphomet

Logitech is the best one available. Managed to snag two for free over the weekend, though one is missing the battery back.

Very nice. Those (and PS2 ones) are always something good to keep an eye out for. Know what the wireless adapters look like and you'll come across them plenty of places. I've got 3-4 for both Xbox and ps2. They're definitely my preferred controllers for the consoles.

Borman

Very nice. Those (and PS2 ones) are always something good to keep an eye out for. Know what the wireless adapters look like and you'll come across them plenty of places. I've got 3-4 for both Xbox and ps2. They're definitely my preferred controllers for the consoles.

Yep, one of the few wireless controllers I dont mind using. More rare stuff on the way, hopefully by the weekend :)

I have the newer/smaller PS2 logitech pad but I'm not a fan of the shoulder buttons and d-pad. Otherwise it's pretty solid. I assume the OG is better.

Top Bottom