• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OG Xbox Appreciation and Lack of Emulation Thread of the big black box of doom

lADwRTh.jpg

My god, that is...you command my respect sir!

stn

@Borman

I take it you like the XBox, lol. Wicked collection, man. What's the orange XBox? Never knew it existed.

Anyway, new (crappy) panorama picture.

Nice PJ Berri plush!

Oh, yeah, and the collection is cool, too. Haha.

(I also like that there's a GameCube and a Rock Band 3 keyboard controller in there. And Jabba the Hutt and Salacious B. Crumb plushes. And are those legos there, too? Awesome.)

Borman

Nice PJ Berri plush!

Oh, yeah, and the collection is cool, too. Haha.

(I also like that there's a GameCube and a Rock Band 3 keyboard controller in there. And Jabba the Hutt and Salacious B. Crumb plushes. And are those legos there, too? Awesome.)

The Gamecube is a TDEV unit. There is a PS2 TEST hiding next to it as well. The Star Wars items are from Star Wars Weekends the past two years. And yep, some LEGO up there, most in the other room, but I needed to protect these from the cats. The Steel Battalion controller is hiding up there as well, along with a Chip and Dale topper from a Playchoice 10 cabinet :p It's not like I dont have other consoles too hah

Borman

The hardest thing is getting in contact with former employees. Prototypes dont often come from former MS employees, but a lot of them were given little gifts throughout the life of the Xbox, things that I would really like *hint hint*. All of it is leading to an eventual launch of an Xbox site that I slowly pick away at.

Xboxsegafan187

Neo Member
Nice Pic just need 860ish games to complete the US Black Label, Xbox Platinum Hits set, "Best of" Xbox platinum hits set, Cover Variants, Special Editions, Free Movie Tickets, Bonus Soundtrack, DVD, which comes out to roughly 1125 Retail Xbox games released in the US. Not counting PAL, Japan only exclusives and a few Canadian only Variants.

My gift to the GAF and OG Xbox collectors alike will be the Xbox Masterlist 3.0 sans the Xbox Magazine Demos will include everything I mentioned and with Collection Pic to highlight the Various Rare Xbox Variants known and unknown. About 50% done making the revisions.......Until then Borman is the Xbox Collecting Guru :). For a small preview of my collection my avatar with a bed covered with Xbox games should vouch for me ;).

Borman

Nice Pic just need 860ish games to complete the US Black Label, Xbox Platinum Hits set, "Best of" Xbox platinum hits set, Cover Variants, Special Editions, Free Movie Tickets, Bonus Soundtrack, DVD, which comes out to roughly 1125 Retail Xbox games released in the US. Not counting PAL, Japan only exclusives and a few Canadian only Variants.

My gift to the GAF and OG Xbox collectors alike will be the Xbox Masterlist 3.0 sans the Xbox Magazine Demos will include everything I mentioned and with Collection Pic to highlight the Various Rare Xbox Variants known and unknown. About 50% done making the revisions.......Until then Borman is the Xbox Collecting Guru :). For a small preview of my collection my avatar with a bed covered with Xbox games should vouch for me ;).

Haha we all cant be you :p My speciality isn't the games anyway, you know that in our other discussions. I'll catch up on your game collection soon enough, seeing as though I really only just started to collect all of those. I look forward to the list though, it'll be a great help :)

And just so people know, not every Xbox outputs the same quality video. This first set of screens is the same Xbox, 480i versus 480p, same cables and everything. Look at the heavy banding on the 480i side.

ERukx6O.jpg

Now, you may be saying, sure, that is 480i. But here are the exact same cables, taken just minutes later, on another Xbox, at 480i. Much better.

lL7RRnw.jpg

Not sure what the cause is yet, no leaking caps or anything, but its a strange one (and it isn't a 1.6 issue, since neither are 1.6 boxes :p)

televator

Weird... why are there 2 different component cables? I picked up one at a goodwill that looks mostly like any other component cable. Looking online though, it seens there's one with a box at the end. Is there a difference?

On a side note I also found a VGA cable though I can't figure what I'd use it for right now.

Borman

Weird... why are there 2 different component cables? I picked up one at a goodwill that looks mostly like any other component cable. Looking online though, it seens there's one with a box at the end. Is there a difference?

On a side note I also found a VGA cable though I can't figure what I'd use it for right now.

I believe the HD Pack (with the box) was earlier, with the HD Cable being later on. I would imagine it saved costs and made it less complicated.

televator

Thanks for answering my questions guys. I'm a noobler to the XBOX.

One other question. I was about to decide on a stock XBOX, but then I remembered that people left and right love modding these. I found one on CL modded with an Xecutor chip and a 180 GB HDD for $150. Seems a little steep to me, but what the hell do I know about this console? Anyway, do you guys think its worth it?

Borman

One other question. I was about to decide on a stock XBOX, but then I remembered that people left and right love modding these. I found one on CL modded with an Xecutor chip and a 180 GB HDD for $150. Seems a little steep to me, but what the hell do I know about this console? Anyway, do you guys think its worth it?

I wouldnt pay that much.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member

No, I don't think it's worth that much. I've bought mine last year at £15 chipped and soft-modded with a 80GB HDD (but £15 was probably a mistake, thinking back and it was from a retro gaming store).
I would recommend it if you can find it for $50-60 ($60 pushing it, really).
Probably you can mod it yourself for even cheaper.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So I just got an OG Xbox for the first time. I want component on this thing. What are my options? I've heard a lot of third party cables can be kinda bad.

Borman

So I just got an OG Xbox for the first time. I want component on this thing. What are my options? I've heard a lot of third party cables can be kinda bad.

Just buy the official set, they arent terribly expensive, or buy one that looks quality. There are two different official versions, the HD AV pack, which has a box that you plug standard RCA cables into, then a more traditional cable.

Borman

One of the items I am most excited to finally have in my collection, the Xbox Live Orange Controller S. I know this picture is a bit low quality (but hey, I can handle my cell phone better than most), but Ive got some family things going on that dont allow me to take my usual. Look for those next week.

CCQ5qTV.jpg

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It's kinda weird. I moved last week, and my stuff won't be here for another week or so...
But the thing I'm most excited to get access to again is my Xbox. I wanna play some damn Tony Hawk.

I dunno if it's nostalgia or what, but no matter what I play, the Xbox just feels like comfort food to me.

Elija2

One of the items I am most excited to finally have in my collection, the Xbox Live Orange Controller S. I know this picture is a bit low quality (but hey, I can handle my cell phone better than most), but Ive got some family things going on that dont allow me to take my usual. Look for those next week.

CCQ5qTV.jpg

Dang, that looks really nice. Did those come in Xbox Live Starter Kits or something? And is that an orange memory card?

zonipoi

Could anyone link me to decent cables that also ship to Europe? I'm absolute useless with these and Microsoft's naming policy isn't really helping.

Got my softmodded console today which has a 120G hard drive. Had real trouble using it first and actually thought I had bricked it already. Finally got the hang of it and been ripping games to the HDD all night. Games look horrible through composite so really need to find decent component cable from somewhere.

Borman

Dang, that looks really nice. Did those come in Xbox Live Starter Kits or something? And is that an orange memory card?

No, only about a 6 are known to be in collectors hands right now (though there are undoubtedly more). They were given to Xbox Live Launch Team members, those who helped make XBL possible. A lot of employees didnt really care, and it isn't clear how many actually survive. So yeah, very rare.

The orange memory cards were given to Xbox Live beta testers, and I have two in this controller now, plus three more elsewhere :p

ZealousD

So I recently got an OG Xbox and I bought one of the HD AV packs in order to do component on it. Problem. The Pb signal doesn't work! All I get is Y and PR so the colors aren't right.

Is that definitively an issue with the AV pack or could that be an issue with my xbox itself? It's not an issue with the component cable because I've tried two different component cables with the same results.

Borman

So I recently got an OG Xbox and I bought one of the HD AV packs in order to do component on it. Problem. The Pb signal doesn't work! All I get is Y and PR so the colors aren't right.

Is that definitively an issue with the AV pack or could that be an issue with my xbox itself? It's not an issue with the component cable because I've tried two different component cables with the same results.

Im assuming that the TV works as it should? It is possible that the connection has come loose of course. People weren't always kind with them :p Open it up and look for any broken points.

ZealousD

Im assuming that the TV works as it should? It is possible that the connection has come loose of course. People weren't always kind with them :p Open it up and look for any broken points.

Yeah, I had a Wii hooked up via component as well and it looked just fine.

I'm a little wary of opening it up as I bought it through eBay. I'll probably just return it to the seller.

DJ Gunner

Haha we all cant be you :p My speciality isn't the games anyway, you know that in our other discussions. I'll catch up on your game collection soon enough, seeing as though I really only just started to collect all of those. I look forward to the list though, it'll be a great help :)

And just so people know, not every Xbox outputs the same quality video. This first set of screens is the same Xbox, 480i versus 480p, same cables and everything. Look at the heavy banding on the 480i side.

ERukx6O.jpg

Now, you may be saying, sure, that is 480i. But here are the exact same cables, taken just minutes later, on another Xbox, at 480i. Much better.

lL7RRnw.jpg

Not sure what the cause is yet, no leaking caps or anything, but its a strange one (and it isn't a 1.6 issue, since neither are 1.6 boxes :p)

I'm confused. My two Xboxes, even when set to 480p output, do not output 480p when on the dashboard- only when in game. I'm guessing this is also a version thing?

Top Bottom