• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OG Xbox Appreciation and Lack of Emulation Thread of the big black box of doom

Lorul2

It'll be shitty anyway.

If you want to play Xbox, buy an Xbox.

I have an Xbox, and I still play it; I have a 360 too, I still play that too. I even play Original Xbox games on the 360, and they are not "shitty".

As an Xbox fan Microsoft could do themselves a favor and make the Xbox One back compat with the original Xbox. Another reason to buy the Xbox One couldn't hurt, and this could be Microsoft's best response to PS now.

SFenton

See, the thing about OG Xbox being on XB1, I thought, was that Microsoft would have to start paying roylaties to (Nvidia?) the graphics card manufacturer again. Don't they want to avoid that?

But, otherwise, hell yeah, I'd love OG Xbox emu on XB1. Technically feasible, especially if 360 could do it, and the switch back to the OG architecture certainly can't hurt.

Fox Mulder

I just think BC support for consoles is dead given how they can sell shiny new HD remakes. Two of MS's huge E3 reveals fall into this category. Even Sony has a service to sell for their BC now. The wiiu should be able to play three generations of Nintendo releases, but they stripped it out of later wiis and it isn't present on the wiiu.

The 0451

Neo Member
My favourite Xbox games were:

Halo: Combat Evolved
Halo 2
Jet Set Radio Future
Midtown Madness 3
Rainbow Six 3
Star Wars Battlefront 1 & 2
Destroy All Humans
Burnout 3: Takedown
Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis

Mzo

Is the Destroy All Humans series worth playing? I've always steered clear.

Should try the first one, at least.

flux1

Glad to see this topic. The original Xbox was the system that got me back into console gaming.

My original is still going, after replacing the hard drive a few years ago. Thankfully I had the keys from a softmod to fix up the new drive for it. I bought a second not long ago to keep in case my original fully dies.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm feeling withdrawal here... I'm tempted to go back to Tony Hawk 2x and and finish it with everyone. What I can say for sure is that THPS 2 has a superior soundtrack to 3. Seriously.

Well, I did it again. I played through Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 with every character back in 2001 when it hit the PS2. That took a while. Well, after buying the Xbox version earlier this year, I ended up doing that again. Which is to say, I played through the game 24 times. I think that means I still like it.

I used to create a lot of new characters just to give me an excuse to play through it again and again. I've lost count of just how many times I've played through it. Hah.

I'm feeling withdrawal here... I'm tempted to go back to Tony Hawk 2x and and finish it with everyone. What I can say for sure is that THPS 2 has a superior soundtrack to 3. Seriously.

While I love both soundtracks a lot...yes, you're right. I just wish that Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2X also included the soundtrack of the first game, and not just the levels. That would have made it perfect.

Danny Dudekisser

While I love both soundtracks a lot...yes, you're right. I just wish that Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2X also included the soundtrack of the first game, and not just the levels. That would have made it perfect.

I'm with ya there. It's kinda weird how, despite how good THPS1 was at the time, the sequel made it utterly obsolete. I don't even really like playing the THPS1 courses in 2x. I have some nostalgia for the Chicago level, because that was the level that was on the Official Playstation Magazine demo disc back before THPS1 came out... but apart from that? Useless. The music would've been a much more substantial inclusion than the actual levels.

Maybe I should just rip Goldfinger's Superman to my Xbox and call it a day.

Lorul2

See, the thing about OG Xbox being on XB1, I thought, was that Microsoft would have to start paying roylaties to (Nvidia?) the graphics card manufacturer again. Don't they want to avoid that?

But, otherwise, hell yeah, I'd love OG Xbox emu on XB1. Technically feasible, especially if 360 could do it, and the switch back to the OG architecture certainly can't hurt.

I'm sure I read they did that when they made the 360 run original Xbox games?

Borman

Picked up these today:
The Godfather LE
King of Fighters 2002 / 2003 Combo
Need for Speed Underground 2
Worms Forts Under Siege

Two more titles should be here on Monday since I missed the delivery yesterday :)

baphomet

So I've been picking up games for ps2 and Xbox lately that I enjoyed back in the day. I got a copy of ninja gaiden black and nanobreaker earlier and unfortunately black wouldn't boot on any of my xboxes. So I'll eventually get back to swap it out, but me being me, I went to another game store and bought another copy of black (and oddly enough an adapter for 3do to use SNES controllers). Looking forward to checking out how it will look through my xrgb mini. I'll probably post a quick video here in a bit.

Looking for some good Xbox exclusive recommendations for something I'm working on.

Danny Dudekisser

Alright, I want to figure this shit out:

Which Tony Hawk games are worth buying? I have 2x and 3, and apart from the initial 3 games, I've never played any of the other games. I'll pick up 4, because it sounds like, while it's a departure, the gameplay is largely the same... but I know there's a point where the series goes off the rails. So, which games should I buy and which ones should I skip?

Rich!

Which Tony Hawk games are worth buying? I have 2x and 3, and apart from the initial 3 games, I've never played any of the other games. I'll pick up 4, because it sounds like, while it's a departure, the gameplay is largely the same... but I know there's a point where the series goes off the rails. So, which games should I buy and which ones should I skip?

3 is the greatest game of all time

Best maps
Best characters (darth maul!)
Best music (motorhead!)
Best secrets
best goddamn everything

I'd recommend 4 and Underground 2. Those are the only ones after 3 that I find myself still coming back to after all these years.

Well, I also play Project 8 on Xbox 360 sometimes, but that one feels very different to play (you feel way heavier in that one), so it might put some people off. Plus some goals are damn near impossible.

I don't own American Wasteland outside of the DS Sk8land version, but I did play it, and it's incredibly...easy, from what I remember.

Underground 1 is fine, but I haven't bothered to play that in ages. I go back to the rest far more often.

3 is the greatest game of all time

Best maps
Best characters (darth maul!)
Best music (motorhead!)
Best secrets
best goddamn everything

This is pretty much true, though.

Elija2

The only one I think you should definitely skip is American Wasteland. THUG1 and THUG2 are still good fun, and THUG2 has Classic Mode so even if you hate the silly story mode you can always have fun with that. You should be able to find them pretty cheap nowadays so there's really no reason to skip them even if you don't like them.

I've never played Project 8 so I can't tell you what it's like.

Borman

Two new and sealed games :)
ZkKCozF.jpg

Tain

Honestly, the series just nonstop piles mechanics on up until maybe Project 8. I think the distaste for THUG, THUG2, and American Wasteland are fatigue more than anything, but some might argue that those three games have too many ways to extend combos and it messes up the pace. I remember being put off by Project 8 and never played Proving Grounds.

Danny Dudekisser

Honestly, the series just nonstop piles mechanics on up until maybe Project 8. I think the distaste for THUG, THUG2, and American Wasteland are fatigue more than anything, but some might argue that those three games have too many ways to extend combos and it messes up the pace. I remember being put off by Project 8 and never played Proving Grounds.

The more I'm reading about it, the more it sounds like 4 kinda filled out the mechanics as much as possible without breaking the thing. It's kind of funny how they just dumped new systems into the game every year.. though I suppose we'd kill for that kinda innovation today.

Borman

The more I'm reading about it, the more it sounds like 4 kinda filled out the mechanics as much as possible without breaking the thing. It's kind of funny how they just dumped new systems into the game every year.. though I suppose we'd kill for that kinda innovation today.

I tend to agree with that.

How can you have an OG xbox thread without mentioning doa:u or more importantly chaos theory. Shame on you OP

Hulk ultimate destruction is another great game. Not exclusive but I played all 3 versions and the iq on the xbox version was insane. Its by far my fav superhero game and that includes titles like infamous, crackdown, and arkham city as well

I cant believe i forgot to mention my fsvorite exvlusive.... unreal championship 2

QUOTE=sixteen-bit;115271440]I played the demo ages ago hoping for a Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance clone but it didn't do anything for me. If you want a nice multiplayer Gauntlet-like clone try the BG:DA games instead.[/QUOTE]
+1 for bg:da
Also try the dnd game too. I enjoyed the mp a lot

Fox Mulder

Oh that's cheap, but I've got mine in the UK, still NTSC. I think it was about £10, and the only eBay insertion is a Japanese import for about £40.
Weird that it's hard to find it in the UK eBay at the moment.

it's hard to find now after E3. there's like 6 on the US eBay and is going over $40 on auctions. It's a horrible time to buy it now, although great for the game to finally get its due.

MS punted the game after self developing it, and Majesco sold it for $20, which makes people think it was shit. Majesco also fucked publishing psychonauts too.

it's hard to find now, there's like 6 on the US eBay and is going over $40 on auctions. It's a horrible time to buy it now, although great for the game to finally get its due.

MS punted the game after self developing it, and Majesco sold it for $20, which makes people think it was shit. Majesco also fucked publishing psychonauts too.

These financial failures also shied Majesco away from publishing risky larger games. After this experiment with Psychonauts and Phantom Dust, they went full shovelware.

Borman

My latest pickup, he NFR version of Azurik, still sealed. It is hard enough to find the NFR version, so having it sealed is nice.
P0Qarxk.jpg

Borman

Anyway, new (crappy) panorama picture. Managed to pick up 4 extra shelves, despite Ikea having none in stock. They ended up having a whole shelving unit in their 50% off section. Couldnt fit the entire cabinet, but the shelves ended up being cheaper this way. Left the cabinet itself in the parking lot hah. Wanted more than 4, but 4 was better than none. Have yet to run the wires, the lights are all attached from the first, and only time, I actually did them.

When I do eventually move, hopefully I can pick up a few more cabinets to better arrange things and even out the shelves, since I know someone's OCD will dislike the setup now :p

Still more stuff to arrange, and it doesn't include all the games or Xboxes for that matter since I actually use some of them, but the gist is that one shelf is mostly development, one shelf is mostly retail or retail related (bar the prototypes on the shelf...), and one is all games. Lots of common retail units left to fill out the collection too hah. It's getting there anyway.

lADwRTh.jpg

Borman

Wow! The orange one is sexy as hell.

Hah that one is my old painted box. It is more beat up then the picture shows. It had a black jewel which has since disappeared. It was my regular driver for years, took many trips around the country with me. Needs a new power supply at the very least.

Borman

Mountain_Dew_Xbox_Console.jpg

There's no dew box but he has quite a few much rarer ones

Yeah, there are quite a few variations missing, some of which I have put off so that I can find the perfect example hah. There is the mountain dew missing, the crystal missing, a Halo 1 and 2 missing with all sorts of variations, all of those are easy to find but again, just biding my time on those. On the more rare front, the Panzer Dragoon Orta box is incredibly hard to get in good condition, same with the Hulk box and the White anniversary ones. There is also the launch team box, in which I have the controllers and games for, but they have been going for crazy prices for some reason. Plus the Partner box.

Up until recently, my collection has mostly been focused on the development side, since that is where my interest lies.

Edit: I should probably add that I have a kiosk unit, minus the TV and console (not that it is an issue) sitting at my parents.

Top Bottom