• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OG Xbox Appreciation and Lack of Emulation Thread of the big black box of doom

Borman

EySdnIF.jpg

Did you know that the original Xbox was to have a "Games" tab on the dashboard? Now go buy some games!
fAWxfM4.jpg

Elija2

Did you know that the original Xbox was to have a "Games" tab on the dashboard? Now go buy some games!

That's pretty cool. I wonder what it's purpose would have been.

And damn, a launch team Xbox signed by Bill Gates. Who would ever let that go?

Borman

Any particular reason behind the two copies of Halo? Different versions perhaps?

Two copies (one is hidden due to the angle) are the proper NFR version available at launch at the MS store (which is different than the NFR included in the Halo packs later on), while the other is a Rated T Not for Display case. Just happens to be bunched together like that.

That's pretty cool. I wonder what it's purpose would have been.

And damn, a launch team Xbox signed by Bill Gates. Who would ever let that go?

For installed games. You can find concept images of the tab with Starcraft installed.

And LT arent that uncommon really, just go for a bunch. Don't believe that 60 number that is out there, otherwise between my fellow collectors and I we would already have almost half hah

s9VwUA4.jpg

That is the concept art. The dashboard seen there is actually included in the disk from a month prior to this version that I got. March 2001

Two copies (one is hidden due to the angle) are the proper NFR version available at launch at the MS store (which is different than the NFR included in the Halo packs later on), while the other is a Rated T Not for Display case. Just happens to be bunched together like that.

For installed games. You can find concept images of the tab with Starcraft installed.

And LT arent that uncommon really, just go for a bunch. Don't believe that 60 number that is out there, otherwise between my fellow collectors and I we would already have almost half hah

s9VwUA4.jpg

That is the concept art. The dashboard seen there is actually included in the disk from a month prior to this version that I got. March 2001

The concept art is really neat. Like a middle point between blades (360) and what we got for the original xbox.

Jawmuncher

Dino Crisis 3 is worse than I remember.
I'll give you all a preview of my write up in the future for it.

THE CAMERA HOLY SHIT
Now I know why I tried to forget everything about it.

Are there any differences in the game or just packaging/art?

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Any idea why Ninja Gaiden Black's price dropped like a rock? Not that I'm complaining considering I got it for $3 but still. Or Disc Replay is just that awesome when it comes to prices.

Weiss

Banned
Just want to drop into this thread to remind everyone that Panzer Dragoon Orta is absolutely incredible and dirt cheap. Go play it. It's a must play for any fan of rail shooters.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Everyone and their momma already owns the game

Makes sense. Oh well at least I snagged it just in case it rises back to what I saw it for which was $15 or more. Of course that isn't much either. Though it must have been a case of "Hey this game is popular so let's give it a high price." Which kinda backfires when you have like 5 or more copies in stock and nobody is buying them.

Now if only I can find the Sega Xbox games I need in stores for cheap instead of resorting to online for them.

My memory is fuzzy is console mod talk kosher on gaf? Just asking since emulators are widely discussed and its essentially a requirement to get emulators on OG Xbox.

televator

My memory is fuzzy is console mod talk kosher on gaf? Just asking since emulators are widely discussed and its essentially a requirement to get emulators on OG Xbox.

Yeah. Dude, I've seen you post on other threads and we definitely talk a loooot about mods and hacks in there. lol

Yeah. Dude, I've seen you post on other threads and we definitely talk a loooot about mods and hacks in there. lol
Lol your right it was late when I posted this (early as hell actually) must have slipped my mind, hell I even remeber talkng about mods in other threads.

So long as you aren't talking about piracy, it's pretty open around here.

Just wanted to make sure haha thanks guys.

Now moving on, I went ahead and softmodded my Xbox to make it region free a few days ago, UnleashedX works like a charm! Already installed a few emulators too but I only have a stock 8gb HDD so there's not much space for anything really.

First Import:

castlenoshikigami_zps1db23f5c.jpg

Shikigami No Shiro: EVOLUTION (RED EDITION)

Gotta love those shmups!

Gunsmithx

Now moving on, I went ahead and softmodded my Xbox to make it region free a few days ago, UnleashedX works like a charm! Already installed a few emulators too but I only have a stock 8gb HDD so there's not much space for anything really.

Nice, I've been meaning to get to this as well, have they come up with a better way or do you still need to get an action replay pro to transfer saves?

baphomet

Nice, I've been meaning to get to this as well, have they come up with a better way or do you still need to get an action replay pro to transfer saves?

You can probably hack a controller cable to use a USB flash drive. I could be wrong about that, but I swear I've heard it before.

My question is what is the best way to get VGA out of an of xbox. I need to be able to run it into my super emotia to force 240p for a bunch of the arcade compilation discs and don't know the best way to go about it. I'd like to find one of those neoya x2vga boxes, but they seem hard to come by.

Any suggestions?

Borman

You can use a USB drive. Works best 512mb or smaller though, bigger tend to be not compatible.

You can modify your Xbox for VGA output, then load a special bios onto it.

How does Evolution differ from the vanilla release?

As per Hardcore gaming 101: "The Xbox version, published by Media Quest, is dubbed Shikigami no Shiro Evolution and was released in two separate versions. The Red version included an art gallery while the Blue version contained developer interviews. There's also a new Evolution mode which revises some of the game elements. There are also Windows versions of all three Shikigami games. The original release includes an anime intro not in any version. The EX version lacks this intro but adds a few small upgrades."

So not much specifics lol, here's some more details from the shikigami no shiro wiki: "It contained improved enemy AI, two new characters, and an entirely new mode entitled "Evo.Mode"."

You can probably hack a controller cable to use a USB flash drive. I could be wrong about that, but I swear I've heard it before.

Here's what I did/you need:

1. Bought USB to XBOX Adapter Controller Cable Female Socket
2. Bought Splinter Cell
3. Downloaded Softmod Installer Deluxe (most recent fw version)
4. Downloaded a program called Xplorer 360 which enables you to change any usb drive into the same format to be recognized as a Xbox memory card (Note: first you need to format the drive via plugging the cable above into the xbox BEFORE plugging it into your PC. DO NOT FORMAT DRIVE EVER WHEN PROMPTED BY PC)
5. Transfer SID to USB then plug usb (preferablly smaller like 512mb to 16 gb at highest; I use 4GB) into cable, then Xbox.
6. Use "game" (I used Splinter Cell) to boot up SID and install (see vid for specifics)
7. Enjoy
(or watch your console burn in agony from failed install, lol, jk but not really I froze my box a few times with incorrect directory listing, be careful about this and remember you can cold boot your game to access SID installer menu for repair/ file removal)

Watch this video if you need more guidance.

P.S. Using this method you also don't need to use FTP to transfer files, merely place files onto your selected USB drive and add emulators via Xplorer 360, MUCH easier than FTP.

Hope that helps!

Gunsmithx

That helps very much! Thanks a ton, just ordered up the cable and bishopcruz has splinter cell, and it seems swapping in a new hd isn't too bad, now I can finally play metal wolf choas!

As per Hardcore gaming 101: "The Xbox version, published by Media Quest, is dubbed Shikigami no Shiro Evolution and was released in two separate versions. The Red version included an art gallery while the Blue version contained developer interviews. There's also a new Evolution mode which revises some of the game elements. There are also Windows versions of all three Shikigami games. The original release includes an anime intro not in any version. The EX version lacks this intro but adds a few small upgrades."

So not much specifics lol, here's some more details from the shikigami no shiro wiki: "It contained improved enemy AI, two new characters, and an entirely new mode entitled "Evo.Mode"."

Thanks for the rundown, and thanks for the article. I really enjoy the Shikigami series, but I still don't have a non-butchered release of the first one. This will help me decide.

That helps very much! Thanks a ton, just ordered up the cable and bishopcruz has splinter cell, and it seems swapping in a new hd isn't too bad, now I can finally play metal wolf choas!

Your welcome! Yeah I'm looking into HDD swapping too but would have to dig an old pc up for hotswapping which is a little easier if you do it right but can get messy fast.

Thanks for the rundown, and thanks for the article. I really enjoy the Shikigami series, but I still don't have a non-butchered release of the first one. This will help me decide.

Yeah, No problem, Mobile Light Force 2 ftw
lol

I'm debating whether to import the sequel for Xbox or just buy the shoddily localized Castle 2 on ps2 with the terrible dub, merely to experience how legendarily awful it is. And the Dreamcast version is exorbitantly priced but I would have bought that.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
I'm debating whether to import the sequel for Xbox or just buy the shoddily localized Castle 2 on ps2 with the terrible dub, merely to experience how legendarily awful it is. And the Dreamcast version is exorbitantly priced but I would have bought that.

Man, that localised version has the most stupid-ass cover I've ever seen.
It's like a cheap clone of Charlie's Angels!
Got both first and second on PS1 and PS2.
I'd get it on Xbox though!

Shaneus

Are you able to post how you did the 720P mod for PGR2, Borman? I'd be using it with an Australian (which I guess is EU) copy. Or if a resolution hack is possible, could there be one to unlock framerate maybe?

Only just hooked up the ol' Xbox recently and found that disc was already in the drive. Lucky me :D

Edit: Wait, probably needs the 128MB debug RAM in it, huh? Nevermind, then!

Borman

Are you able to post how you did the 720P mod for PGR2, Borman? I'd be using it with an Australian (which I guess is EU) copy.

Only just hooked up the ol' Xbox recently and found that disc was already in the drive. Lucky me :D

Just google 720p pgr2 or something like that. The site that has it also has full, pirate games so Id rather not link.

Just picked up one this week along with a handful of games! Main reason though was so I could play JSRF again without lag. Such a wonderful game.

Shaneus

I think I'm gonna start getting back into playing this thing again, full-time(ish). Obviously I have an extensive collection of games/experience but if anyone has anything that immediately springs to mind that I might've missed out on, let me know.

Some kind of definitive list might not go astray either. When I say "definitive", I mean gargantuan for those of us *not* just getting into it now (apologies NintendoRev ;) ).

Just google 720p pgr2 or something like that. The site that has it also has full, pirate games so Id rather not link.
Thanks for this BTW, know exactly what you mean with it being a shifty website! As far as betas and unreleased games go, are you aware of legal ramifications for distribution of them? I'm assuming for all cases they're just "NOPE!".

Borman

I think I'm gonna start getting back into playing this thing again, full-time(ish). Obviously I have an extensive collection of games/experience but if anyone has anything that immediately springs to mind that I might've missed out on, let me know.

Some kind of definitive list might not go astray either. When I say "definitive", I mean gargantuan for those of us *not* just getting into it now (apologies NintendoRev ;) ).

Thanks for this BTW, know exactly what you mean with it being a shifty website! As far as betas and unreleased games go, are you aware of legal ramifications for distribution of them? I'm assuming for all cases they're just "NOPE!".

Some companies care more than others. Easier when the companies are gone. Microsoft's lawyers aren't the biggest fans of my work, but most developers actually cooperate quite a bit. I'm lining up a few phone calls as of late.

SparkTR

I just bought one of these today and I'm wondering what are some good action games/shooters for it that aren't on PC? Console multiplatform stuff is fine. So far I've got Everything or Nothing, Black, MechAssault games and maybe Breakdown.

Is Voodoo Vince and Brute Force any good?

Elija2

I just bought one of these today and I'm wondering what are some good action games/shooters for it that aren't on PC? Console multiplatform stuff is fine. So far I've got Everything or Nothing, Black, MechAssault games and maybe Breakdown.

Is Voodoo Vince and Brute Force any good?

You might like Gunvalkyrie, but it's kind of a love-it-or-hate-it game.

And if you're gonna get Everything or Nothing you might as well get From Russia with Love.

Don't know much about Voodoo Vince but Brute Force is mediocre. I don't recommend it.

SparkTR

You might like Gunvalkyrie, but it's kind of a love-it-or-hate-it game.

And if you're gonna get Everything or Nothing you might as well get From Russia with Love.

Don't know much about Voodoo Vince but Brute Force is mediocre. I don't recommend it.

Well, I just ordered Brute Force so hopefully I find some value in it. It was made by the same people who made Freelancer so how bad can it be? I'm definitely checking out From Russia With Love, and maybe GunValkyrie though I did hear it was incredibly frustrating. Anyway I should be set for now, thanks for the reply.

Borman

Brute Force is...pretty not good. Not terrible like some people say, but disappointing.

Voodoo Vince certainly has a crowd that enjoys the game though.

On a side note, I ordered a Mountain Dew xbox. Sadly, it took some damage in shipping :( Getting a partial refund, but still frustrating.

Silly question but like any other system I'm not going out on a limb that all region models of the xbox support SCART cables/RGB right? Want to test somethings...

Top Bottom