• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vita deployment for Unity is here

Glass Rebel

From the Unity Blog via GamaSutra (thanks marrec)

Back in March 2013, we announced a partnership with Sony based on support for every single one of SCE’s PlayStation platforms, in addition to Unity for PlayStation®3. Today, we’re thrilled to announce that with Unity 4.3 we’re releasing Unity for PlayStation®Vita to the public.

Developers with a licensed developer agreement from SCE for PS Vita will now be able to deploy their game to PS Vita via the Unity engine and make use of platform-specific functionality including:

• Motion sensors
  • Front and rear cameras
  • Dual analog sticks
  • Rear Touch pad
  • Furthermore, Unity for PS Vita will enable you to integrate the full suite of PSN features into your game, including Trophies, Friends and Matching functionality into your game.
As with all the other platforms we support, Unity for PS Vita allows you to develop your game once, without rewriting the code from scratch; simply build and run it on your PS Vita devkit. Not only that, you can now create both 2D and 3D games with Unity 4.3, animate almost anything with the native animation system Mecanim, and implement very cool graphics. And all of it can be run directly on your PS Vita devkit for quick iteration! Why don’t you head over to the release notes and take a look?

Zoink! has just released their new game “Stick It To The Man” developed in Unity for both PS3 and PS Vita. The game has already been very well received. Check out their game at their website http://www.stickitgame.com/ to see what it is all about!

We are proud to have reached this platform milestone and we are very eager to see what exciting games you will create for PS Vita!

To become a licensed developer for PS Vita please visit the SCE company registration site (https://www.companyregistration.playstation.com).

Hasney

That's excelent news.

They don't pay for the license though (am I right on this), or else it would be perfect.

Not yet, but they might. As it only came out today, I don't think Sony would be in a position to announce anything like that yet.

BibiMaghoo

But what do Unity want in fee's? I have always wondered this for all the consoles they support, I can find no public info about this at all.

marrec

Banned
But what do Unity want in fee's? I have always wondered this for all the consoles they support, I can find no public info about this at all.

1,500 for Unity Pro with some additional fees depending on the platform. Vita platform doesn't have a separate package so I imagine it would be 1,500.

Imagine: Superhot on Vita

I'm thinking more along the lines of Might and Magic X on the Vita.

I'd probably die from happiness.

RalchAC

Is this enough for you?

It look there isn't an option to buy the license for consoles (you may have to sign a contract with Sony/MS/Nintendo) but they are probably the same prices as the one mentioned: 1500$

marrec

Banned
lGbO1K6.jpg

DAMNIT SHAHID.

:p

BibiMaghoo

1,500 for Unity Pro with some additional fees depending on the platform. Vita platform doesn't have a separate package so I imagine it would be 1,500.

I'm thinking more along the lines of Might and Magic X on the Vita.

I'd probably die from happiness.

I know the Unity pro fee, but this does not cover additional platforms, for example I believe it's £400 a piece for both iOS and Android individually. The prices for consoles seem to be hidden from public, but I am 100% certain they exist. I just want to know what they actually are.

Is this enough for you?

It look there isn't an option to buy the license for consoles (you may have to sign a contract with Sony/MS/Nintendo) but they are probably the same prices as the one mentioned: 1500$

As above, I want the actual console fees. But as you say it likely requires a contract of some sort, it just seems a bit underhanded that they publicise fee's for everything but consoles, which they are loud about supporting. If I make a game for PC on the basis that I can port to consoles, I need to know sooner rather than later if it's going to cost £10k to do it in fees.

Tunin

Finally. This might be the push some developers needed to port their games to Vita.

Can't wait to see more indie games being ported to the device, great time to be a Vita owner.

Paz

Yay for (first) final release :D Sony are really on track with their Unity support. I must say it's pretty rad to see a Unity PC game running on a Vita, one of my happier and more memorable moments :)

fijim

Banned
Yay iOS ports!

This isn't sarcasm, there are some really great iOS games that would do well on Vita (Deus Ex: The Fall for example).

as much as i love titles from bigger studios, having Vita as this little indie beast is so good

I'm starting to come around to this view too. I find I enjoy smaller indie titles more on my Vita given the time/place I play it.

If I really want to play a big AAA title, it is best done on a console with a nice TV and time to sit and play. I don't usually have time for that though.

marrec

Banned
Yay for (first) final release :D Sony are really on track with their Unity support. I must say it's pretty rad to see a Unity PC game running on a Vita, one of my happier and more memorable moments :)

Well... which Unity PC game are we talking about?

*puppy dog eyes*

DedValve

Banned
Shahid you have 1 job. Make Vita my portable indie gogo girl.

Sony you have another job. Make sales. Lots of them.

Wallet you too have a job. Don't go empty on me dammit.

FUCK. YES. I was really resistant at first but I am embracing indie-vita. I blame Spelunky and Hotline Miami for making train trips to manhatten such a joy.

Twinduct

Weird question but when AAC was announced for Vita, was this based on the promise of the Unity vita deployment?

Not that it really matters but does make sense when so many games was announced for PS4/ PSV.

GulAtiCa

I look forward to potentially toolling around with this at a future date. Just wish Sony would wave the Unity fee like Nintendo does. Either way, this opens a new door for me. :)

RalchAC

Yay iOS ports!

This isn't sarcasm, there are some really great iOS games that would do well on Vita (Deus Ex: The Fall for example).

Is Deus Ex built with Unity? It doesn't appear on that list.

In case anyone is wondering, here's a list of games that have been or are being developed via Unity:

http://unity3d.com/gallery/made-with-unity/game-list

Lots of potential there.

Wow, there is a lot of amazing stuff there. It'll be cool if we got some of those good iOS F2P games for a decent prize without microtransactions.

As above, I want the actual console fees. But as you say it likely requires a contract of some sort, it just seems a bit underhanded that they publicise fee's for everything but consoles, which they are loud about supporting. If I make a game for PC on the basis that I can port to consoles, I need to know sooner rather than later if it's going to cost £10k to do it in fees.

Maybe we could ask Shahid.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
If I really want to play a big AAA title, it is best done on a console with a nice TV and time to sit and play. I don't usually have time for that though.

FUCK. YES. I was really resistant at first but I am embracing indie-vita. I blame Spelunky and Hotline Miami for making train trips to manhatten such a joy.

When I got my PS4, I really came around to this idea too.

Paz

Well... which Unity PC game are we talking about?

*puppy dog eyes*

My own game. The process to get it 'running' was pretty simple too, as you would expect from Unity with its history of being a similar experience on every platform.

Really hope this news opens the floodgates on people bringing their games to Vita, it's one of my favorite systems ever and there are a ton of games that imo would work best in a portable form factor. Plus it has dual analogues and multiple touch screens so the only thing that wouldn't make sense is a heavy KB/Mouse designed game.

Weird question but when AAC was announced for Vita, was this based on the promise of the Unity vita deployment?

Not that it really matters but does make sense when so many games was announced for PS4/ PSV.

Yeah we talked with Sony/Nintendo/Unity before making any announcements, even though I know people who could help port it out to C++ it just doesn't make sense financially or time wise, unless you're a significantly popular game anyway.

marrec

Banned
IIRC Assault Android Cactus is a unity game.

Well ya, there are a few official Unity games already coming to Vita like Assault Android Cactus (yay)... I was just hoping for some other reveal. :lol

This COULD lead to a lot of really good games on Vita.

Yay iOS ports!

I'm starting to come around to this view too. I find I enjoy smaller indie titles more on my Vita given the time/place I play it.

[large amounts of sarcasm]
Yay no chance of Square Enix porting it to vita its not a mobile platform where they are lavishing all focus of their business

whats that but unity? ah ah ah no this is square enix, they only rustle our jimmies now

console yourself by buying ios products its where the future supposedly is

[/large amounts of sarcasm]

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
If Stick It To The Man is anything to go by... I hope there's a good amount of work dedicated to get Vita games at native-res and 60fps.

hookurs

What are the odds of The Simpsons Tapped Out coming to Vita??

I have so many friends telling me to start playing it, but I don't usually iOS game (there's too many Vita/PS3/PS4 games to play!)

That's excelent news.

They don't pay for the license though (am I right on this), or else it would be perfect.
Not on a blanket basis, no. But it's clear that they have people like Shahid out there offering various kinds of incentives to developers who impress them. Help covering the Unity license was one of the things the developer of Energy Hook suggested to Shahid would make him do a Vita port for example, and it looks like that worked out for him.

1,500 for Unity Pro with some additional fees depending on the platform. Vita platform doesn't have a separate package so I imagine it would be 1,500

Sadly nope. Last I heard it was much higher than that. Not sure if the license agreement changed since alpha stages though.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Not on a blanket basis, no. But it's clear that they have people like Shahid out there offering various kinds of incentives to developers who impress them. Help covering the Unity license was one of the things the developer of Energy Hook suggested to Shahid would make him do a Vita port for example, and it looks like that worked out for him.

shahid is seriously the best

marrec

Banned
Sadly nope. Last I heard it was much higher than that. Not sure if the license agreement changed since alpha stages though.

Looks like console specific license fees aren't publicly available.

I'm sure we can find out though. I would hope that SCE would provide support to certain impressive devs. (no offense to any dev who doesn't get support from SCE)

BibiMaghoo

This is my concern. By holding this info back, they are asking console developers to jump on board without the same transparency Unity have with other platforms. It could be a real financial issue, that doesn't come to light until agreements are being made, and that is bad for planning business. It may be the case that someone can just reach out and ask, but it is concerning.

Top Bottom