• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 2 First Impressions of the Full Game

VaatiVidya
These are my first impressions of Dark Souls 2 (full game). Spoilers are actually fairly limited, and I left out key details.

Lots of new details and I think new gameplay. He sounds very happy with what he played.

Some details.
There was more than that.

Your flask only starts with one charge.
You find Estus shards to upgrade how many charges it holds.
The kindling change you mentioned.
You don't level up at bonfires anymore. Now you level up at the women in the green cloak, which means repeatedly going back to that place like the Nexus in Demon's Souls.

He also goes over some starting gifts.

Petrified Something (actual name) - its description implied you could un-petrify it later on.
Seed of a Tree of Giant's - Confusing description that only really said it was inedible.
Bonfire Ascetic - can burn in bonfires to make the enemies that spawn around that bonfire harder.
He also mentioned a ring that increases your max HP slightly.

Forest Of fallen Giants

Scythe Wielder

Casting

NPC

Foaloal

Made it 2 minutes in and then I felt like I was spoiling it too much.

This is the first game I've really been honestly excited for in years, I can't stand to hype myself for it any more than I already am.

Skab

I just posted about this in the preview thread too.

Good shit though. Hype levels at maximum!

On a side note, I was way late to the party with the first Dark Souls, and I'm rather looking forward to diving in day one with people.

takriel

Made it 2 minutes in and then I felt like I was spoiling it too much.

This is the first game I've really been honestly excited for in years, I can't stand to hype myself for it any more than I already am.

So, so true. I haven't been that excited for a game in such a long time. I painfully try to stay away from spoilers such as these impressions, but it's so hard!

But in the end, it will be fucking worth it. The sense of discovery and immersion is unmatched in these games imo.

Akito

Won't click on that but I'm happy about another favorable opinion on the game, can't friggin wait.

Can you write up some non spoilery stuff like mechanics and gameplay? Better than dark souls 1?

He mostly gets into the world and how the story starts out. He said he will make another video covering mechanics soon. He mentioned voice and PvP stuff for the next video. Only real gameplay detail he gets into is
how kindling bonfires doesn't give you more estus flasks but makes them heal for a greater amount

He mostly gets into the world and how the story starts out. He said he will make another video covering mechanics soon. He mentioned voice and PvP stuff for the next video. Only real gameplay detail he gets into is
how kindling bonfires doesn't give you more estus flasks but makes them heal for a greater amount
Interesting. Thanks

4920194+_319efab1548c8e5db6f1ff388ddf02c0.gif

Skab

You don't level up at bonfires anymore. Now you level up at the women in the green cloak, which means repeatedly going back to that place like the Nexus in Demon's Souls.

Petrified Something (actual name) - its description implied you could un-petrify it later on.
Seed of a Tree of Giant's - Confusing description that only really said it was inedible.
Bonfire Ascetic - can burn in bonfires to make the enemies that spawn around that bonfire harder.

You don't level up at bonfires anymore.

Thanks or the write up. I'm half asleep. Hope you don't mind me throwing it in the OP.

Can't wait for the game, but every impression I read/watched for the game is hinting that Dark Souls 2 is going to be better than the original Dark Souls, still I can't believe it. Hype is at maximum right now.

Mendrox

My hype for this game... I can't hold it. It is time for Dark Souls 2 to finally shine upon our prayers. I will take work off for that game.

Serious? That's annoying and tedious. I didnt like that in demon's

Ferr986

I dont like that
we have to go back to the hub to level up. I dont get the purpose of it, seems like an unnecesary annoyance, seeing as how we can warp from the beginning
Still hyped as fuck.

Serious? That's annoying and tedious. I didnt like that in demon's

I played Demon's Souls when it came out and I LOVED the Nexus for just how cool it was and how many cool things could happen there if certain events happened. I remember feeling disappointed at first in Dark Souls that there was no Nexus and I felt that Firelink Shrine wasn't as cool as the Nexus was. Firelink Shrine is awesome in it's own way though, but I think having a central 'hub' area is awesome if it's well designed and if it evolves throughout the game. And the fact that a 'Maiden in Black' type character exists in DS2 is awesome.

This game truly does seem to combine the best of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. I can't wait!!

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
This is a really good video, plenty of stuff that you want to know about but extremely careful not to spoil anything too important.

Main takeaway for me was that it seems as influenced by Demon's Souls as much as Dark, which is a very good thing imho.

I dont like that
we have to go back to the hub to level up. I dont get the purpose of it, seems like an unnecesary annoyance, seeing as how we can warp from the beginning
Still hyped as fuck.

I think that it's because the area is extremely important to the story. Remember the reason why the Maiden in Black was the one to level you up? I'm sure there's similar story reasons why the Emerald Herald has some reason why we must go to her to level up.

I also love the fact that you must collect shards to increase estus charges instead of kindling bondfires.. It makes more sense that the kindling increases amount of HP restored instead imo.

I dont like that
Still hyped as fuck.
Yeah I agree. It didnt add anything, it was just tedious and slowed things down for no good reason

I dont like that
Still hyped as fuck.

The first time I heard about it, I didn't like it too. But thinking about it design wise, it's will force people to go back to the hub and see what has changed ( example: people you have saved who could teach you new tricks, new side quests). I think many gamers who played the original game missed a lot of features during their playthrough. One of my friends who finished the original Dark Souls didn't know that he can cast spells (he didn't know about pyromancy or faith spells), maybe because he didn't visit firelink shrine too often.

Steez

I think that it's because the area is extremely important to the story. Remember the reason why the Maiden in Black was the one to level you up? I'm sure there's similar story reasons why the Emerald Herald has some reason why we must go to her to level up.

Yup, that's what I'm guessing as well. They'll probably trying to create a Nexus-like area that will change over the course of the games.

Or we'll unlock the ability to level up at Bonfires later on.

Must. Not. Read. Must. Not. Read. Must. Not. Read. Must. Not. Read. Must. Not. Read.

I've promised myself by first playthrough is going to be blind, solo and offline so nothing is spoiled for me - I just need to make it through the next 6 or so weeks. Sigh.

Ferr986

I also love the fact that you must collect shards to increase estus charges instead of kindling bondfires.. It makes more sense that the kindling increases amount of HP restored instead imo.

Sadly, I didnt play Demon Souls (360 user).
Anyways, in Demons it makes more sense, because The Nexus servers as a hub, and its not an open world game like Dark Souls, so you have to go back to there no matter what.

The first time I heard about it, I didn't like it too. But thinking about it design wise, it's will force people to go back to the hub and see what has changed ( example: people you have saved who could teach you new tricks, new side quests). I think many gamers who played the original game missed a lot of features during their playthrough. One of my friends who finished the original Dark Souls didn't know that he can cast spells (he didn't know about pyromancy or faith spells), maybe because he didn't visit firelink shrine too often.

Well, that would be a point. I still disagree in forcing it though, let the people discover it for themselves. They could just make the NPCs to tell you that they'll go back to the hub if you need them after rescuing them, or something like that.

Grassy

I'm almost through Blighttown on my first play-through of Dark Souls. Had my arse handed to me repeatedly but I keep coming back for more. I'm pretty much in love with it at this stage.

Can't motherfucking wait for the sequel. If it's half as good as Dark Souls it will be fucking amazing.

Seems like a bunch of Youtube/Twitch guys got to play it. Here is Brandon's impressions of the first hour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_iJXztTYUc
Some big news regarding communication in this one.

Voice chat ring that when equipped by you and a partner allos you to tslk to each other.

Another ring that lets one engrave a certain god or something into it that a freind can also engrave making it a bit easier to play with friends?

These are kinda huge.

Sadly, I didnt play Demon Souls (360 user).
Anyways, in Demons it makes more sense, because The Nexus servers as a hub, and its not an open world game like Dark Souls, so you have to go back to there no matter what.

Well, in an open world game where you can warp between areas, it's obvious they are giving you a reason to have to go back to this certain area over and over again.

Who knows, maybe after a point the Emerald Herald appears in another location? Or maybe similar to warping in Dark Souls we will get an item that let's us level up at Bonfires later in the game so that we don't always have to go back.

All I'm saying is that I'm sure there's a good reason for this decision. I don't think you will find leveling up as tedious as going back to the Nexus was in Demon's Souls because in Demon's Souls you had to go back to the Nexus for many things. Changing levels, Blacksmith and Storage, and leveling up...also to kill yourself to make yourself hollow so that world tendency wouldn't change if you died.

It wont be as tedious I'm sure ;)

Altazor

wow.

so hype.

much praising.

very dark.

honestly, I'm really hyped. I wish I could play this ASAP... but I think I'll have to wait first for the PC version to be released and then I'll to wait until I have money to buy it.

Until then, I'll keep praising the Sun.

EDIT:

I'm almost through Blighttown on my first play-through of Dark Souls. Had my arse handed to me repeatedly but I keep coming back for more. I'm pretty much in love with it at this stage.

Can't motherfucking wait for the sequel. If it's half as good as Dark Souls it will be fucking amazing.

oh man, you ain't seen nothing yet! The best is still to come :D

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Oh hell yes I'm watching/reading all of this shit.

deeTyrant

His comments about level design in the video are actually some of the most reassuring news about this game so far.

Regarding the brief narrative context he gave at the beginning
the primary motivation for your character seems to be one of self-interest, coming to a land with an abundance of souls to prolong the time until you go hollow, which sounds like an interesting setup.

I dont like that
Still hyped as fuck.

Like a lot of people seem to be saying it seems like a way to have both the open world environments of Dark, while still having that Hub environment people liked from Demons. However I agree its bizarre to lock such a core mechanic behind it in this way to make it anything other than tedious, I feel like there might have been a more elegant way to make that area a place you'd want to return to often enough, while still allowing you to level at other locations. I'm gonna wait till I actually play it before I make up my mind about it, it might turn out to be a total non-issue.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Title is kinda misleading. I thought it meant that he finished the game, but it seems like he just got to play what the journos did last week.

Top Bottom