• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 2 First Impressions of the Full Game

slash3584

I'm worried about the fast travel mechanic.

While now it's a must to go back to the hub, one of the things I loved the most in the first game was discovering a shorcut between areas

Soriku

Where the Master Key at?

Actually with how they said people could play from the half point game if they're skilled, maybe things are more open and there won't be as many barred doors like in Dark Souls 1.

In that case, what to pick? If the Ascetic is a one time only use, the petrified item might be the one to choose if it has some significance later, or maybe the seed. Of the ones we know now though.

I'm worried about the fast travel mechanic.

While now it's a must to go back to the hub, one of the things I loved the most in the first game was discovering a shorcut between areas

Oh, I don't think you have to worry about that. When they say hub, I don't believe they mean one place that leads to all places, but more like a camp where NPCs will gather and perhaps other events will take place. You will most assuredly be discovering shortcuts between areas, just like Dark Souls.

The_Monk

Thank you for posting this fellow GAFfer.

It's like Dark Souls (the first) pre-release all over again for me regarding the hype. Can't wait to have this. I try to avoid these videos but I can't, I need to at least take a tiny look!

I'm liking some Demon's Souls vibe and I can't wait to get this game, it's one of those that I'm able to squeeze every penny I pay for it and it's worth to get it Day One. Also, I always enjoy some good old GAF-Hype with you all, amazing people. ;)

feel

I don't know if I should watch. Does he mention any last minute miracle in the walking animations front?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I just came back from a 54 hour long Demon's Souls session (NG+++++). My body is ready!

Steez

dsoulsnaeyn.jpg

Dark Souls 2 event in Paris, probably able to play the game for a few hours + interview with From dev.

Is this the only event in Europe or are there more coming up?

Visceir

Is this the only event in Europe or are there more coming up?

There was one in London already. I sure hope some frenchman will sneak out some video footage/pictures out of this, would love to see what all the starter classes look like and what they start out with.

Dunno why people worry about these spoilers anyway -- you'd find out all about it during the first hour of the game anyway....or you wouldn't and miss out on it. I think it's good to have a good overview of all the mechanics and what stats/controls do.

Stuff like (mechanics spoiler)
headshots with bows causing enemies to stagger and fall just like when parrying and thus allowing you to run up and riposte or use it as a form of crowd control

Shengar

dsoulsnaeyn.jpg

Dark Souls 2 event in Paris, probably able to play the game for a few hours + interview with From dev.

I wish I live in Paris and understand French ;__;
While Miyazaki (probably) not there, still I would like to meet with some FROM devs.

I don't know if I should watch. Does he mention any last minute miracle in the walking animations front?

From what I have heard from a couple other Youtubers that got to play the first hour, the animations have been improved from the sloppy beta animations. Which im excited about big time.

Robot Pants

From what I have heard from a couple other Youtubers that got to play the first hour, the animations have been improved from the sloppy beta animations. Which im excited about big time.
Fuck yes!
If that's true then I have absolutely no worries left for this game. Bring it, FROM!

Gorillaz

I'm really happy to hit the ground running with everyone this time around. Got into Dark Souls so late so everything was already known, all secrets figured out.

But being there from the start will be hype as FUCK

Moongazer

Makes me happy that some more elements from Demon's Souls are being incorporated into Dark Souls 2.

Another Soul's veteran praising the game is also making me less worried on how it'll turn out, can't wait!

Robot Pants

I'm really happy to hit the ground running with everyone this time around. Got into Dark Souls so late so everything was already known, all secrets figured out.

But being there from the start will be hype as FUCK
Yea I was a year late to Dark Souls also. This time will be different and I'm pumped

Definitely double dipping the 360 and pc versions, does anyone know if amazon will have this with release day shipping for the 360 version?

MLH

Made it 2 minutes in and then I felt like I was spoiling it too much.

This is the first game I've really been honestly excited for in years, I can't stand to hype myself for it any more than I already am.

Yep, way too much information for me, I want to go in blind. Not sure what I expected from the video though. Anyway, from what I've seen and heard I'm really excited. My most anticipated games of 2014 so far. Going to need a concrete PC date.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Also present at the Paris event tomorrow, can't wait to play this. Of course I'll be posting my impressions + itv with FROM dev here

Very spoilerish review but even the toutorialesque part doesnt sound generic

Oh, ok there is a fully tutorial part, its not obligatory but...why?

ElFly

Based on your old Dark Souls assumptions.... Though I'm sure you'll be happy to eat your words =P

;)

I replayed Demon just last week and I truly do not appreciate the loong loooong looooooong load times whenever going back and forth to the nexus.

ElFly

Convenience is not necessarily good game design either.

You can teleport from the bonfires from beginning, meaning that you still level up at every bonfire.

Except this time there is an extra teleport, load time, walk up to level up lady, another menu, walk back to bonfire and teleport back and second load time, but in the end, mechanically it's the same as in Dark.

They just put the level up menu behind a lot of annoyance.

i feel so left out. kinda wish i hadn't sold my ps3 specifically for this title.

guess i can't hope for this on playstation now or a future port.

Not sure if I want to watch that video or not... I'd kind of like to go in without many spoilers (besides what I've already seen in other trailers/footage). Some of the stuff they changed does sound kind of annoying (
having to return to that npc to level up instead of doing it at a bonfire
). It's not a huge deal, but it's just more loading times basically for no reason.

I replayed Demon just last week and I truly do not appreciate the loong loooong looooooong load times whenever going back and forth to the nexus.

I guess that's true in Demon's Souls.

But we're talking about a new Souls game from devs that have made Dark Souls..they've learned lots about design over the course of their first 2 games. And besides these are impressions from a very limited part of the game. The fact that warping is open from the start is a negative for some people. As I've said before, there's probably a good reason why you need to go to 'her' in the early parts of the game, and I'm even MORE sure there's an item that will let you lvl up at any bonfire.

eot

Banned
I don't want to watch it and get the details spoiled. Did he say what he thought of it (positive/worried etc.)?

Top Bottom