• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 2 First Impressions of the Full Game

I don't want to watch it and get the details spoiled. Did he say what he thought of it (positive/worried etc.)?

He says it's incredible.

All of the youtubers and Dark Souls content creators that dearly love the franchise that have played it have said it's incredible and that they like it (or see it being) better than Dark Souls. Sure some of these people are surely biased as we all are, but some of these people would also be extremely disappointed if it was somehow worse than what they were hoping for.

Thankfully they've been overwhelmingly positive.

"Not watching this because I don't want spoiled" - why click the thread in the first place then? I understand avoiding spoilers but nothing in this video made me so upset that I feel like I was robbed of an experience. Mostly because I'm still not sure how the game will turn out, so I like to hear impressions. Helps me decide if I'll buy it. Because I'm sure as hell not pre-ordering or going in blind.

I don't want to watch it and get the details spoiled. Did he say what he thought of it (positive/worried etc.)?

He seems to be loving it. Almost nothing but praise. Seems like he'll be continuing his Dark Souls content with this one, which makes me happy. He makes great videos.

Mupod

oh man there's no way I'd ever be able to wait for the PC version. There's going to be so much crazy experimenting and speculation about the more mysterious starting gifts, and this time japan/importers won't have a huge head start. So it's going to be the wild west of rumors and bullshit, it'll make the pendant look small time.

You can teleport from the bonfires from beginning, meaning that you still level up at every bonfire.

Except this time there is an extra teleport, load time, walk up to level up lady, another menu, walk back to bonfire and teleport back and second load time, but in the end, mechanically it's the same as in Dark.

They just put the level up menu behind a lot of annoyance.

Which is my problem. They're needlessly putting it behind tedium. One of my biggest issues with Demon's Souls was how you were sent back to the hub every time you wanted to level, learn new things, store items or even just reset the enemy spawns of a level.

Bowler

Namco just deleted my tweet off of there feed... All I said was that I cancelled my pre order, and that I will praise the sun everyday until a ps4/xb1 port.

apparently they were not enthused.

Cetra

Not sure if I want to watch that video or not... I'd kind of like to go in without many spoilers (besides what I've already seen in other trailers/footage). Some of the stuff they changed does sound kind of annoying (
having to return to that npc to level up instead of doing it at a bonfire
). It's not a huge deal, but it's just more loading times basically for no reason.

I think the reason is not about wasting time and more about making your choice to farm the level for souls or to just challenge the area boss at your current level have more weight.

If you see going all the way back to an NPC to level up as a chore, you're more likely to carry on through the game rather than try to "over level" a boss through soul farming for stats or equipment upgrades.

I think it's a good change.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Namco just deleted my tweet off of there feed... All I said was that I cancelled my pre order, and that I will praise the sun everyday until a ps4/xb1 port.

Well of course they are not gonna like it. You are cancelling one of the existing versions when they haven't confirmed anything about a Ps4/XBOne versions and it sounds like they are somewhat losing money over something they have not announced yet.

I just posted about this in the preview thread too.

Good shit though. Hype levels at maximum!

On a side note, I was way late to the party with the first Dark Souls, and I'm rather looking forward to diving in day one with people.

Same here. I was day one for Demon's Souls but didn't have internet at the time so I didn't get to participate in the online. I was a couple years LTTP for Dark Souls and look forward to seeing the community change from the ground up. Can't wait to see all the unbalanced spells and gear before they get patched.

Well off course they are not gonna like it. You are cancelling one of the existing versions when they haven't confirmed anything about a Ps4/XBOne versions and it sounds like they are somewhat losing money over something they have not announced yet.

Yeah. Besides, any self respecting Dark Souls player would simply buy the game twice or at least buy the PS3/360 version and then trade it in for a PS4/XO version when or if the time comes.

Well, I may be disappointed by Thief, but at least this is a guaranteed winner! I absolutely cannot wait. Let's just hope the PC version is up to snuff, because that seems to be the one thing Thief currently has going for it.

I'm also looking forward to speedruns of this. Dark Souls was a great game to run and I'm expecting no less here.

Randam

I heard there is something called soul history.
It counts every soul you collected and serfs as some kind of skill level.
So your level doesn't count it is your soul history/experience with that character.

Odrion

Banned

From what they said, they haven't even decided whether or not to port it. So even if they do, it'll be a while.

Grief.exe

Waiting a couple weeks for the PC version is going to be difficult.

At least I have Resident Evil 4, South Park, and Titanfall all releasing around that time.

Will make when I actually sit down with Dark Souls 2 all the sweeter.

Waiting a couple weeks for the PC version is going to be difficult.

Did they even nail down a PC release date yet? Probably going to roll PS3 just to complete the set but still might double dip if it pulls me in enough.

Either way, going into "content blackout mode" like I did for demon's and dark souls before their day one :p Can't wait.

Grief.exe

Did they even nail down a PC release date yet? Probably going to roll PS3 just to complete the set but still might double dip if it pulls me in enough.

Either way, going into "content blackout mode" like I did for demon's and dark souls before their day one :p Can't wait.

The only official information we have is From saying 2-3 weeks.

I have a feeling we will get a more concrete date after the console version goes gold and From can focus solely on the PC port.

Tex117

Banned
Not watching the video, just wanted to hear some impressions.

Seems like we are in for an unedited Souls experience.

Just...put it in my veins.

Lucent

Did they bring back the foot noise and stuff when moving since the beta? Movement seemed kind of weird in the beta compared to the other games. Didn't feel quite as weighty and having no sound to your steps was a little weird. Something just felt off.

Still looking forward to this.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I watched the video... Basically both ENB and Vaati are pretty firm in claiming that this is a better game than DkS. Wait and see, but the hype is definitely there now.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I watched the video... Basically both ENB and Vaati are pretty firm in claiming that this is a better game than DkS. Wait and see, but the hype is definitely there now.

Vaati was more important for me than ENB tbh so the hype is batshit crazy atm.

elfinke

The level up change is stupid.

Inconvenience is not good game design.

I never saw it as an inconvenience. Having to go back to the Nexus was a deliberate decision made to tie into the overarching risk/reward system of DeSo. If you have watched any Let's Plays (or more recently, a Breaking Brad from Giantbomb), you can observe how it works perfectly.

For the most part, x-1 parts of each world are the largest. As a result, you end up with a large amount of souls before you find the boss and open up x-2. For new players, this often means they play through x-1 a bunch of times, die in a similar area, compound their soul amount until suddenly they are carrying what seems to be a huge amount, and now they have to balance whether to return to the Nexus to level up, but lose all and any progress they've made to that point (4-1 and 5-1 are both excellent examples of this. Damn, even 5-2 is), versus ploughing in, and risking the souls they're carrying.

In the case of Breaking Brad above, Brad repeatedly questioned the merits of pressing on versus returning during his 4-1 session, during which Vinny (his co-pilot) said that he couldn't wait for Brad to die and lose his souls, and become unburdened by them.

Admittedly, this only works relatively early on, and during first play throughs, while the player hasn't completely grasped or reconciled the inconsequence of losing souls. Once a player has determined that 10,000 souls isn't a large amount, or they are on NG+, it simply doesn't matter and for sure, (but then, I'd argue that neither does levelling up at that point) - and it can become a nuisance then.

In no way is the Nexus a perfect solution (and of course, the use of bonfires in DaSo was not dissimilar to this either - you still had to backtrack to a bonfire there and give up your progress. I'd argue that this really only mattered in Sen's Fortress, however, due its length and lack of bonfires relative to all other areas).

Also, the Nexus is a modern day version of a traditional Resident Evil save room, music and all!

Not true. You got to hear the maiden's awesome voice every time: "So the world can be mended..."

This, too!

All these impressions sound fabulous. Seems like they've nailed down some of the inconsistencies in DaSo and consolidated the best things of both previous games into this one. Yet, from the videos I've watched, it certainly has its own identity (partly due to the lack of flip-flopping ragdoll corpses :( ...)

Can't wait!

I caved and watched the video. It wasn't really that spoilerific considering it was just about the very start and really no story stuff. It all sounds really great as far I am concerned, it sounds like a mix of Dark and Demon's and that sounds pretty fucking fantastic to me.

Oh Umbasa!

Lucent

but that sick Black Armor Edition cover =p

Yep! Can't beat a free upgrade! =D

I got the free upgrade for the first Dark Souls and it was pretty nice. But it was more like a tin can to keep your stuff in. This looks to be an actual steelbook.

E92 M3

I hold Dark Souls in such high regard, but I'm worried about overhyping this. Man, I really hope this game still has that magical feel. Hard to describe, but everything on DaS just meshed perfectly.

Also, I'm not watching videos; what does it borrow from Demon's?

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
the month has just started and the wait is killing me. Trying so hard not spoil anything for myself outside of positive and negative reaction from reviewers. glad to hear most of the fans that have played seem happy so far.

Jarsonot

Yep! Can't beat a free upgrade! =D

I got the free upgrade for the first Dark Souls and it was pretty nice. But it was more like a tin can to keep your stuff in. This looks to be an actual steelbook.

Oh. I did not realize this was basically a free steel book, and now I must have it. =)

Orayn

Everything sounds great so far. The only thing that are still question marks in my mind are
respecs (I hope there's a fairly stiff cost associated with them)
and the PC release date.

sublimit

Banned
I haven't watched any recent footage (except for a few screens) and i'm definitely not reading any impressions.I want to get a completely fresh experience on day one.My only problem was that the quality of the animations was very bad in the online beta test but From said that they listened and that they improved them so i trust them.

Actually From is probably the only developer right now that i have blind faith on them so i hope they don't betray my trust.

joe2187

Banned
I cant watch these videos because everybody that plays is fucking terrible.

Your character has a shield - I WONDER WHAT IT'S FOR!?

Your character has a magic staff that shoots magic arrows - CLOSE RANGE BRAWLER

Your character can parry and dodge roll - STAND AND GET HIT REPEATEDLY WHILE NOT USING SHIELD AS WELL.

Shengar

The waiting for the release time isn't terrible, I have Toukiden and Bravely Default until that. But waiting for it to be shipped to my home while everyone else playing it, that'll be different.
I cant watch these videos because everybody that plays is fucking terrible.

Your character has a shield - I WONDER WHAT IT'S FOR!?

Your character has a magic staff that shoots magic arrows - CLOSE RANGE BRAWLER

Your character can parry and dodge roll - STAND AND GET HIT REPEATEDLY WHILE NOT USING SHIELD AS WELL.

They can't show how "hard" it is if they hire speedrunner to play it :p

ElFly

I never saw it as an inconvenience. Having to go back to the Nexus was a deliberate decision made to tie into the overarching risk/reward system of DeSo. If you have watched any Let's Plays (or more recently, a Breaking Brad from Giantbomb), you can observe how it works perfectly.

For the most part, x-1 parts of each world are the largest. As a result, you end up with a large amount of souls before you find the boss and open up x-2. For new players, this often means they play through x-1 a bunch of times, die in a similar area, compound their soul amount until suddenly they are carrying what seems to be a huge amount, and now they have to balance whether to return to the Nexus to level up, but lose all and any progress they've made to that point (4-1 and 5-1 are both excellent examples of this. Damn, even 5-2 is), versus ploughing in, and risking the souls they're carrying.

In the case of Breaking Brad above, Brad repeatedly questioned the merits of pressing on versus returning during his 4-1 session, during which Vinny (his co-pilot) said that he couldn't wait for Brad to die and lose his souls, and become unburdened by them.

Admittedly, this only works relatively early on, and during first play throughs, while the player hasn't completely grasped or reconciled the inconsequence of losing souls. Once a player has determined that 10,000 souls isn't a large amount, or they are on NG+, it simply doesn't matter and for sure, (but then, I'd argue that neither does levelling up at that point) - and it can become a nuisance then.

In no way is the Nexus a perfect solution (and of course, the use of bonfires in DaSo was not dissimilar to this either - you still had to backtrack to a bonfire there and give up your progress. I'd argue that this really only mattered in Sen's Fortress, however, due its length and lack of bonfires relative to all other areas).

Also, the Nexus is a modern day version of a traditional Resident Evil save room, music and all!
Don't need to watch Let's Play cause I've beaten the game. Twice.

There are way more reasons to go back to the Nexus than just leveling up, tho, and the maiden is wasted because she never has anything interesting to say when you talk to her, other than the whole "I care for the candles..." speech. She is only interesting at certain parts of the story, not when randomly talking to her.

Certainly players weighting whether to go back to the Nexus for leveling up versus all the load times is just an annoyance. There is no risk/reward, no resource wasted other than the player watching a looooong loading screen. Twice.

Also, other than in Boletarian palace, the x-2 area is always the biggest. It's true for Latria, the mines, the storm and certainly for the valley.

Maybe you need to actually play the game instead of watching people playing it.

elfinke

Don't need to watch Let's Play cause I've beaten the game. Twice.

Well, that's less times than I've completed it, but good for you! If you remember playing it for the first time (particularly if you were unaided at the time), you must understand the point I was driving at?

There are way more reasons to go back to the Nexus than just leveling up, tho, and the maiden is wasted because she never has anything interesting to say when you talk to her, other than the whole "I care for the candles..." speech. She is only interesting at certain parts of the story, not when randomly talking to her.

Sure, that's a shortcoming, absolutely. Firelink shrine didn't expand much on this either, but was an improvement atleast (Frampt and the additional NPC's you collect especially).

Certainly players weighting whether to go back to the Nexus for leveling up versus all the load times is just an annoyance. There is no risk/reward, no resource wasted other than the player watching a looooong loading screen. Twice.

Well now you've added 'load times' to your argument. There is no disagreement there, the loadtimes are an absolute bummer. But that wasn't your initial point.

Also, other than in Boletarian palace, the x-2 area is always the biggest. It's true for Latria, the mines, the storm and certainly for the valley.

Well this is a miss-description, on my part. I did indeed mean the area between the first and second boss of each area, which is explored via x-2 portals. But you still understood what I was getting at - the huge space between portals which weighs heavily on a new players' mind, especially when they're carrying a large bank of souls, unaware of their relative unimportance.

Maybe you need to actually play the game instead of watching people playing it.

No no, you misunderstand. I used Let's Plays as easy to share, specific examples of my point. There is plenty of risk/reward, as I described (risk of losing souls vs cashing them in but giving up progression). In the Let's Plays I mentioned, you hear the new player openly discuss with their audience (or sometimes themselves), the pros and cons of what to do, how to manage their soul account, versus just pushing on.

That's the matrix I was describing. It's not perfect, but it exists.

ElFly

Well, that's less times than I've completed it, but good for you! If you remember playing it for the first time (particularly if you were unaided at the time), you must understand the point I was driving at?

When I first played it I lost souls all the time before getting to the next archstone. I rarely went back to the initial archstone after hoarding a good amount of souls.

But everytime I got to the end of the area I would go back to the Nexus. It was annoying, but I am obsessive about not losing progress in dumb ways.

Well now you've added 'load times' to your argument. There is no disagreement there, the loadtimes are an absolute bummer. But that wasn't your initial point.

Load times were part of my original argument. Don't remember what you quoted initially but putting a lot of load times between the bonfires and the level up menu is annoying.

Well this is a miss-description, on my part. I did indeed mean the area between the first and second boss of each area, which is explored via x-2 portals. But you still understood what I was getting at - the huge space between portals which weighs heavily on a new players' mind, especially when they're carrying a large bank of souls, unaware of their relative unimportance.

Demon has way longer areas between bonfire/archstone than Dark 1, sure. I still feel that, outside of the Pure Black Tendency phantoms, Demon is easier. At least for the guy who has completed both games. For the newcomer, Demon is prolly harder. And yeah, it may be because of newcomers not wanting to go back to the Nexus immediately after beating an area, but that's just people not playing cautiously, and that is only because the game makes leveling up inconvenient instead of a real decision. Maybe if there was a real gameplay reason to not go back to the Nexus and level up (a silly example would be souls accruing interest, while a real example is Black Tendency, but people worried about BT are mostly experts and certainly not newcomers, so I feel they don't count as much. I certainly only did one BT world, Latria).

Thanks for the passive aggressive response, though :/

It may have come more aggressive than it should because it sounds like you base all your experience on the game from let's play, which annoys me.

Bowler

Well of course they are not gonna like it. You are cancelling one of the existing versions when they haven't confirmed anything about a Ps4/XBOne versions and it sounds like they are somewhat losing money over something they have not announced yet.

I get that, but after seeing durantes mod on PC with ds1 on a friends 7970 rig, I just don't want to go back to ps3.

Dark Souls II is gonna be the GLORIOUS official end to last gen for me. :D

Nothing comes even remotely close to my anticipation levels for this on any of the new gen stuff, that can all wait!

I get that, but after seeing durantes mod on PC with ds1 on a friends 7970 rig, I just don't want to go back to ps3.

Yea, it has that effect. That said though, if you have a decent PC, you should probably just get it on that, since chances are a PS4/XO wouldn't even be as good as the PC version will be (assuming Durante wants to or can mod it in a similar fashion to Dark Souls)

The HD texture packs for Dark Souls makes it look amazing on PC.

CHC

Why would they want that associated with them? It's a terrible attitude. They have one amazing looking game coming out and you're just clamoring for the next thing already.

You should hold out the few weeks for the PC version, they've said that it will be an improvement and the first game is already very playable on PC. That's next gen and every gen right there!

NewGame

Banned
I sort of don't want to spoil anything but at the same time I really want to know the best stat builds and get explanations for some of the weapons/armors. I don't want to throw points around willy nilly only to find I built a useless character. RESISTANCE AND FAITH? LOL

Top Bottom