• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inazuma Eleven confirmed for NA eShop release -- today!

eojoko

Purchased and played about 30 minutes. Very charming game so far, beautiful music. Menus and characters look sharp.

Reveirg

So happy about this! I love Level-5 (and Mitsuda!) but never played an Inazuma game before. Would've liked a physical release but we'll take what we can get... Downloading it right now!

sohois

Dammit, I've already played 1 & 2. I'm starting to wish I had opted for the European 3DS instead of the American. SMTIV better be fucking worth it.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I...I'm kind of overwhelmed by this game, a lot of stuff going on at the beginning and I'm a bit confused how to play really. Had a lot of trouble during the practice segment.

Didn't expect a sports game to have an "Unwinnable" fight right at the beginning either, but I guess I need to treat this as an RPG, correct?

I hate soccer, I hate touch controls, and I hated middle school

... and I can't wait to play this :p Looks bizarre and awesome. I'm probably going to watch the anime on the eshop the next time I get drunk.

Still, I need to read some more impressions! A review or two wouldn't be so bad either. $20 seems kind of steep for an old-ass port of a DS game (even with the apparently updated VA... which is something I don't care about because I don't have any frame of reference to compare it to the original)

squall23

I hate soccer, I hate touch controls, and I hated middle school

... and I can't wait to play this :p Looks bizarre and awesome. I'm probably going to watch the anime on the eshop the next time I get drunk.

Still, I need to read some more impressions! A review or two wouldn't be so bad either. $20 seems kind of steep for an old-ass port of a DS game (even with the apparently updated VA... which is something I don't care about because I don't have any frame of reference to compare it to the original)
Pros:

- Wacky insane storyline but keeps itself in check (can also be a con to some people)
- Flashy moves
- Characters are pretty cool
- Series is very reminiscent of Captain Tsubasa in general and its' SNES games
- Gameplay is great

Cons:

- Character recruiting is ultimately useless in this game with the exception of 1 or 2 characters due to everybody else having mediocre stats in the translated version for some reason. In short, everybody but those 1 or 2 characters got nerfed.
- Post-game content is somewhat lacking

Both the cons are fixed in IE2.

Watch Da Birdie

I'm kind of nervous about the fact, according to the manual, eventually I'll have to pick and choose between who I want as friends. :0

Draconian

I...I'm kind of overwhelmed by this game, a lot of stuff going on at the beginning and I'm a bit confused how to play really. Had a lot of trouble during the practice segment.

Didn't expect a sports game to have an "Unwinnable" fight right at the beginning either, but I guess I need to treat this as an RPG, correct?

I feel the same way. I was proud that I scored a goal during one of the two practice sessions I did, but I was awful trying to hit the locker in the time limit. I also had no idea that game was going to be like that, and I was starting to get really upset until I realized what was going on haha.

vareon

Maybe the stealth release means they're releasing 2 in April and 3 by the time world cup is held.

Hope. I want my Aliea academy dammit.

Always been curious about this series. I want to try this out but I'm now wondering if there's going to be some other way to get the game plus 2 and 3 or whatever. The whole release setup for these games and between EU and NA is confusing me.

Hasney

Bizarre that they took the time to re-dub it and then release it at a budget price. Hate the excuse they're giving about these accents meaning it's not on the UK eShop, mind you.

massoluk

Banned
I'm really not getting good at this game. Can't really execute any elaborate passes or strategies, if only the game is more generous with timestop. Hopefully I'll get better.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
For those who want a weird soccer / football RPG this is the game. Though you will most likely have to get around the fact that you will be using the stylus for the majority of the battles in the game.

Great series though.

sohois

Guys having trouble:

Abuse the pause mechanic. You're not going to be able to execute any kind of decent attack if you're trying to control your players in real time.

Save often. Losing the 11v11 matches or the 'locker' match early on is a game over. Random encounters can be lost but you'll lose your progress otherwise - also note that draws count as losses for some reason in the 11v11s (which makes your first tournament match a giant pain in the arse)

Lots of matches will have scripted events where it seems impossible for you to do anything, you just have to wait it out normally until half time

A simple tactic. In the 3v3s, You'll start off like this:

P P(ball) P

Send one player forward and one back, and pass it to player behind. so you look like this

-------P
---P
P(ball)

Then send the middle guy forward, so you end up in a kind of triangle

P--------P

-----P(ball)

2 of the defenders will close in on the ball, so pass sit to one of the forward players to get a 2 v 1. Like so:

P---D-----P(ball)
---D---D
------P

Now all you need to do is cross to the other forward guy to get a free shot at goal.

Hopefully you can understand that. In any case, after a while you'll begin to unlock dribble skills and shot skills so you won't need to rely too much on intricate movements and attacks. It is an RPG after all

Rootbeer

Banned
scared that i will buy this and they'll release a cartridge that contains all 3 games for $30 or $40 later this year, they wouldn't do that to us would they? D:

Bladenic

Yeah they should've just released the 1/2/3 collection instead. Can't believe we got 1 though, even so late. Wonder if we'll get the GO series on the 4DS haha.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
Yeah they should've just released the 1/2/3 collection instead. Can't believe we got 1 though, even so late. Wonder if we'll get the GO series on the 4DS haha.

The trilogy collection wasn't released outside of Japan and has modified content so it would have been hard to do so without a full new porting. At least this shows that Nintendo is willing to release old DS games on the 3DS eShop.

Are the drug shops still censored in this version? (in the Japanese version you ca buy steroids to use on your players...was removed in a similar fashion to the Game Corner in Poke Platinum)

The trilogy collection wasn't released outside of Japan and has modified content so it would have been hard to do so. At least this shows that Nintendo is willing to release old DS games on the 3DS eShop.
Modified content? Tell me more. If it is IE1 using the IE2 engine. Sorry that is how the EU release of IE1 was.

As for old DS games. Wasn't the trilogy on 3DS in the first place and given the engine of 3 has been ported to 3DS...

The truth is a simple they have not released the games on their own yet so are not going to destroy their value by having the trilogy come out.

Jamie OD

Modified content? Tell me more. If it is IE1 using the IE2 engine. Sorry that is how the EU release of IE1 was.

As for old DS games. Wasn't the trilogy on 3DS in the first place and given the engine of 3 has been ported to 3DS...

The truth is a simple they have not released the games on their own yet so are not going to destroy their value by having the trilogy come out.

The 2nd and 3rd games were like Pokemon, split into two versions each with exclusive characters. I think the 3DS trilogy combines both Red & Blue equivalents together into a single game.

I definitely agree with you on the last point. No way are Nintendo going to release a Trilogy game if the last game hasn't been released yet over here. Also I imagine memory handling would be a nightmare after you added translations and voicework for the extra languages. We got only half of a One Piece game released on 3DS because of that.

Tom_Cody

Seems they put up 3 episodes of the anime on the eShop too. Level-5, why you doing this to me? Why? They completely sent the series out to die. They could have at least tried to drum up some excitement for the game beforehand. Especially with all the work they put in. I know the games were gonna have it tough in the Americas either way, but they took the only fighting chance the game had and smashed it into pieces. This is really bumming me out.
I disagree. I think they intentionally went the Beyonce rout as an experiment. IMO they fully hope that this route will secure the best result.
This was probably my highlight from the Direct today. I've wanted to play this series and 19.99 is a good price.

With this, golf, and baseball, finally some good sports games popping up on 3DS.
I had no idea this was even coming to the US and I've been curious about this series for years. I will look forward to reading more about this today to see it it's actually worth diving into the series. If I weren't in the middle of three separate games right now I probably would have bought this on impulse last night.

I'm actually oddly excited about the other sports games as well.

scared that i will buy this and they'll release a cartridge that contains all 3 games for $30 or $40 later this year, they wouldn't do that to us would they? D:
Level-5 has never published a retail game in the US (citation needed).

It's digital only for a reason.

Watch Da Birdie

Any more tips?

I'm struggling against all the early random encounters, and barely won the match against the little kids. :(

I kept getting "offsides", and I can't really seem to just score a goal.

evanmisha

Any more tips?

I'm struggling against all the early random encounters, and barely won the match against the little kids. :(

I kept getting "offsides", and I can't really seem to just score a goal.

Offsides are when you pass to someone closer to the opposing team's goal than any of their defenders.

My advice is to experiment with the formations. Neither the default match nor default battle formations are doable for me, but after spending enough time with the game to build my own playstyle, I can end up with scores like this:

zlCfzRgE8K4Q394Qq_

Just keep at it. I was really terrible when I first played, too. Lost a bunch of the story matches, etc. Just watch some games on YouTube, experiment a bit, don't ignore the equipment/learnable moves... You'll get it.

EDIT: Also, before you get shoot skills, HEADERS ARE YOUR FRIEND. Just pass to someone close to the goal, and before the ball even gets to them, click the goal, and the passed-to player will have the choice of using a volley or a header. If you've got a type advantage or decent enough stats, 2/4 strength headers will do, but 4/4 will get past most goalkeepers so long as they don't use a keeper skill.

EDIT 2: And don't forget to fire up once per game, activated by holding L or R. It increases form for your entire team and splits skill costs by half. It lasts about 10 minutes in-game time. I tend to finish out the second half with it, or use it in response to the other team using it.

Eusis

Level-5 has never published a retail game in the US (citation needed).

It's digital only for a reason.
On the other hand there is precedent for collecting a digital series (or even just a bunch of digital games) for retail release, so I think if this happens it depends entirely on how well the game does on the eShop as it is.

... And if Nintendo releases it, because as you noted Level-5 never published retail in the US so someone's gotta partner up with them for it.

Watch Da Birdie

Thanks for the tips, I'm actually winning the random battles!

Lost to the Occult Team, but now I see that I have to sort of "follow the script" and keep using the Dragon attack till the dude learns the co-op version, even though I'm more of an RPG dude than sports fan, it's the RPG elements I keep forgetting about.

One thing I will say, this game really makes me wanna check out the anime.

evanmisha

Lost to the Occult Team, but now I see that I have to sort of "follow the script" and keep using the Dragon attack till the dude learns the co-op version, even though I'm more of an RPG dude than sports fan, it's the RPG elements I keep forgetting about.

No problem! Yeah, some of the early matches, especially in IE1, are annoying if only for how you have to do things a certain way. It can be quite challenging for someone without a real grasp on the mechanics, which at that point is still most new players.

The anime is pretty decent, though the dub can border on wretched. My friend Splash over at Ryuu-Rogue has been fansubbing the show for years now, though, if that's more to your liking.

Watch Da Birdie

No problem! Yeah, some of the early matches, especially in IE1, are annoying if only for how you have to do things a certain way. It can be quite challenging for someone without a real grasp on the mechanics, which at that point is still most new players.

The anime is pretty decent, though the dub can border on wretched. My friend Splash over at Ryuu-Rogue has been fansubbing the show for years now, though, if that's more to your liking.

I feel the game doesn't really do a good job with the tutorials, they sort of leave out the basics of soccer (like the positions, offsides, fouls), and sort of focus on the menu aspects a bit too much. The manual doesn't seem to be any better.

And yeah, I discovered those subs actually. Glad to see a good group's translated it as I can't really stomach dubs anymore with few exceptions.

an't really find video of the 3DS port online. How's the out of battle graphics? I always thought they gave me a Earthbound vibe.
Very simple, but clean. Reminds me of the ones used for the DS Dragon Quest remakes.

Effect

Been wanting to play this for a long time. So to make things clear it's a 3DS port of the very first game correct? Were there any significant improvements over the DS version outside of maybe 3D? Or does it even have that?

Going to be picking this up regardless though as I've been to try this game for some time now.

evanmisha

Been wanting to play this for a long time. So to make things clear it's a 3DS port of the very first game correct? Were there any significant improvements over the DS version outside of maybe 3D? Or does it even have that?

Going to be picking this up regardless though as I've been to try this game for some time now.

This is indeed Inazuma Eleven 1 ripped out of the Japanese 1-2-3 3DS collection. Most of the bulk of the game takes place on the bottom screen, though all special skills take place on the top screen with a wider aspect ratio and a 3D effect that is actually quite nice. Also, any framerate issues of the DS original are long gone.

It's got a brand new redub, and a script that is only slightly changed from the PAL DS release (occasional British slang and all). With that said, the PAL DS release shoehorned in some features of later Inazuma Eleven games, which this port is unfortunately lacking (though there are one or two slight improvements that almost make up for it).

The English fanbase has been virtually silent on any changes made to 1-2-3, though, so there may be a few bonuses hiding around in the postgame that we've yet to find. For example, there's no access to the DLC menu from the DS original, so how to get items like the Gym Storeroom Key and the bonus characters is anyone's guess. I'm already at chapter 8 though, so I'll be sure to post here before long if I find anything new.

As much as people may have wanted the full compilation, for a $19.99 pricepoint, you're really getting a great value. Hopefully this sells well enough that the party rages on, because the series only ever gets better.

EDIT: Oh, and as far as I can tell, the Streetpass features introduced in GO are absent.

EDIT 2: So, I just finished the story mode.
DLC items are then sold at the school store alongside Fallen Zeus being available to challenge.

English dub credits!

zlCfzRgeE6woqDZmsU

Watch Da Birdie

So, am I right in assuming the Anime serves as sort of a "walk-through" when it comes to hinting at flags for some of the bigger matches? I watched the Otaku Match and I noticed it more or less lined up with what you're supposed to do in the game according to FAQs.

evanmisha

So, am I right in assuming the Anime serves as sort of a "walk-through" when it comes to hinting at flags for some of the bigger matches? I watched the Otaku Match and I noticed it more or less lined up with what you're supposed to do in the game according to FAQs.

For IE1, mostly yes. If I recall correctly,
the anime has you recruit Erik waaay earlier than the game lets you,
minor stuff like recruiting Peabody isn't covered, and
Megane Crash isn't a thing until IE2.

Watch Da Birdie

Well, finally beat Occult, thanks for the advice!

One more thing though, how's the best way to handle making Friends? I assume you're pretty much good just keeping the default team and all the story important characters, but is there any reward if you want to recruit the other players just for completion? I hear you need to release some eventually, but does it keep track of which ones you've had prior?

Labrys

is this recommended for someone who knows jack shit about soccer?

it looks really cool but if it relies on a bunch of terms i don't know or whatever i dunno if i wanna spend my money on it

TraBuch

Banned
Bought this as soon as it hit the e-shop and I've gotta say..I absolutely despise the controls during the soccer matches. Doesn't help that I get hand cramps when I use the stylus for a while.

Watch Da Birdie

is this recommended for someone who knows jack shit about soccer?

it looks really cool but if it relies on a bunch of terms i don't know or whatever i dunno if i wanna spend my money on it

It's actually the opposite, I imagine people who are actually in soccer would probably find how it represents the game to be a bit shallow.

Like, it's pretty basic soccer stuff. It basically shows you which players go where, and you mainly need to treat it like an RPG with commands rather than an actual sports game, that's what tripped me up at first.

Draconian

There's a co-op version you need to learn? Really? Why doesn't the game tell you that? I failed against that team twice and I've frankly had enough of this game for the day. So far, it's a frustrating experience for me. I get loads of shots off at great angles, and it's annoying when the keeper's not even in proper position, yet makes the save comfortably anyway. It's like position doesn't even matter that much in this game, just the moves you use. I guess that makes sense because it's trying to be an RPG, but I won't lie and pretend like I'm not really annoyed right now.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
YES...no need to import anymore!

Now to get a eShop card, spent the last bit of funds I had on it for AA5.

Watch Da Birdie

There's a co-op version you need to learn? Really? Why doesn't the game tell you that? I failed against that team twice and I've frankly had enough of this game for the day. So far, it's a frustrating experience for me. I get loads of shots off at great angles, and it's annoying when the keeper's not even in proper position, yet makes the save comfortably anyway. It's like position doesn't even matter that much in this game, just the moves you use. I guess that makes sense because it's trying to be an RPG, but I won't lie and pretend like I'm not really annoyed right now.

It does tell you that through the dialouge, it's just kind of confusing because it makes you think you need to have Kevin pass it to Blaze and then aim for the goal. But instead you just need to shoot with Kevin, and the Co-Op move can be used instantly.

All you have to do basically to win is keep getting the ball to Kevin and using his Special (so get him the best equipment you've got and keep his stamina up by giving him healing items between halves), after the first two times, the next time you'll unlock the co-op Special and will use it automatically. Then you just need to guard your goal for the rest of the match and you're set.

The game seems to get better after that, though. Like you can replay teams, and I replayed the Occult Team...I scored three points, and the scripted elements are gone, so it's more fun.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

Its not trying to be an RPG, it IS an RPG.

squall23

It's actually the opposite, I imagine people who are actually in soccer would probably find how it represents the game to be a bit shallow.
You'd think that, but this IP is extremely popular in France, Italy, and Spain. ESPECIALLY Spain. For obvious reasons. It's so popular in Spain, they got their own special TV version of one of the movies with some different scenes in it.
Here's one of the best triple shots you will learn in the game:
emperor-penguin-no-2-o.gif

vareon

You'd think that, but this IP is extremely popular in France, Italy, and Spain. ESPECIALLY Spain. For obvious reasons. It's so popular in Spain, they got their own special TV version of one of the movies with some different scenes in it.

Here's one of the best triple shots you will learn in the game:
emperor-penguin-no-2-o.gif

I guess most of the best shots are shown in the anime?

I hope they get to IE 2. Season 2 (and Fubuki) remains my favorite. Compare that to the turd that is the recent episodes of Galaxy.

squall23

I guess most of the best shots are shown in the anime?
I believe all the strongest shots in this game are in the anime. Speaking of which, the only shot that you can't use is
God Knows
because
Aphodi
isn't recruitable which pissed me off to no end. Alongside that fact that you can miss
The Phoenix
entirely because
Ichinose
is optional and only he can use it.

Top Bottom