• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hiroki Kato (Vanquish/God Hand lead designer, RE:CV director) has become a farmer

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I know these games are popular here so I thought people would like to know.

Polygon said:
After wrapping his second interview for this story, Mikami checks his phone and sees an email from a former protege, Hiroki Kato, who Mikami appointed to direct Resident Evil Code: Veronica in the late '90s. Despite Code: Veronica's critical success, Kato never struck it big as a director, and instead went on to work as a designer on games such as the beat-'em-up God Hand and Vanquish.

Following Vanquish, he left the world of game development. And he emailed Mikami to let him know he had decided to become a farmer. Mikami reads the message and laughs, then shares the news with Kimura and others at the restaurant like a proud father.
Source: http://www.polygon.com/features/2014/2/20/5425802/shinji-mikami-the-evil-within

Ein Bear

This feels like the start of an action movie.

Ten years from now, when all that remains are mobile F2P games...
"I gave up that life a long time ago."
"Mr. Kato, gaming needs you.

Then God Hand 2 comes out.

Kade

Not sure why but the first thing that popped into my head reading this was J.E. Sawyer's "The Importance of Real World Knowledge for Game Design" video.

He could be researching...

farmer3g9y6e.gif

Weird career move, but wish him the best, hope he was still making games though.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Will he combo punch the shit out of those seeds?

Tunin

That's my boy. Sometimes you gotta step out of your game to keep sanity.

One day or another he'll return, creativity never stops.

h#shdem0n

Nice, that's a big change but I'm sure he'll make a ton more money being a farmer. Glad he's doing alright, though.

You don't get into farming for the money. It's a good insurance policy for the dissolution of society, and not much else unless you have a high position in an agricorp company.

Why do I get the feeling we are going to get the most craziest Harvest Moon action game ever? Juggling dirt and mid combo tool switching to rake leaves and come down milking a cow.
somebody make this!

Clov

As much as I'd love for him to keep making games, he's earned this. I hope he enjoys his work as a farmer.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
The guy is going to grow the most badass produce.

Too bad for gaming but I hope it's what makes him happy.

Korigama

I never knew that the director Code: Veronica, which I didn't care for, was also lead designer on Vanquish and God Hand, which are two of my all-time favorites. Unconventional change in career, but best of luck to him.

Being a farmer is probably the less amount of pressure he's felt in years.

I'd bet he's much more relaxed and respected than he would be in the viper pit that is the games industry. I am a bit sad but also happy that he's doing something he likes. Farmers in Japan must be relatively well off.

Top Bottom