• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Closing Retail Stores in US, Major Layoffs

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Sony to close retail stores in U.S.
Feb 26 2014, 14:16 ET
Sony (SNE +0.5%) plans to close 20 retail stores in the U.S. and eliminate a thousand associated jobs.The jobs cuts are part of a previously-announced plan to reduce the company's global workforce by 5K.

http://www.twice.com/articletype/news/sony-us-restructures-will-close-20-stores/110107

Sony Electronics confirmed in a statement a total staff reduction of one-third by the end of the calendar year, affecting approximately 1,000 employees across all sites. “In addition, in an effort to further streamline costs and continue focus on existing partner relations, Sony announced the closure of 20 U.S. Sony Stores,” the company said.

Twenty stores in the U.S. are closing: Tysons, Va.; University Village, Wash.; Galleria Dallas, Texas; Forum Shops, Nev.; Pentagon, Va.; Boca Raton, Fla.; Menlo Park, N.J.; Las Americas, Calif.; Camarillo, Calif.; Aurora, Ill.; Gilroy, Calif.; Central Valley, N.Y.; Wrentham, Mass.; Pleasant Prairie, Wis.; San Marcos, Texas; Cherry Creek, Colo.; Dolphin, Fla.; Century City, Calif.; Valley Fair, Calif.; and Comcast, Pa.

Eleven stores remain open, including its New York City flagship store and its SPE store at the Culver City, Calif., studios.

Sony operated 44 retail stores at the chain’s peak in 2008, excluding outlets, and was the 20th largest CE retailer in 2012, according to TWICE’s Top 100 rankings. Sales totaled $829 million, down 7 percent from the prior year, as the company began closing locations

Lock if old.

Sendou

What are Sony stores like in the US? In any case looks like that Santa Monica thing was part of something bigger.

Blablurn

They are not kidding around with their restructuring. but as someone already said: best of luck for the people who lost their jobs.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
We knew this was coming from the sony earnings call... but damn.

rightsizing sucks. I would hope like Santa Monica Studios that there is severance and outplacement being provided.

I called a store close to me yesterday and was like "When are you guys getting the camera in stock?" "Never" "Your not getting any more accessories for ps4?" "What we have is all were getting, no more new stock."

I was so confused...now this totally makes sense.

Krakn3Dfx

Wonder if they're close the one at Cherry Creek Mall here in Denver.

Never actually been there, but almost went to check out the PS4 demo unit last year at one point.

Pour one out for those displaced from employment.

jet1911

What are Sony stores like in the US? In any case looks like that Santa Monica thing was part of something bigger.

The nearest one look a bit like that

sony1-500x321.jpg

kingocfs

The only one within a respectable distance of me closed a while ago. It was pretty much just a TV showroom, though.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
We knew this was coming from the sony earnings call... but damn.

rightsizing sucks. I would hope like Santa Monica Studios that there is severance and outplacement being provided.

If that means what I think it means it pretty offensive.

Good luck to the staff getting someone else. I know exactly how they feel.

madmackem

Damn shame to those losing there jobs, but with sony spinning off tvs and selling the pc bit there was little reason to keep shops.

Sony still maintains it's own stores? I thought most of them had already been closed. We lost the sony style store here in Austin some time back.

Prestige Capo

Neo Member
Wonder if they're close the one at Cherry Creek Mall here in Denver.

Never actually been there, but almost went to check out the PS4 demo unit last year at one point.

Pour one out for those displaced from employment.

Of all the times I've been in the Cherry Creek Mall, I just recently discovered that store even exists. But still it'd be a shame if it closes.

Occam

Sorry for those who lose their jobs, but as opposed to letting go developers from their studios, these layoffs actually make sense.

Timeaisis

In any case looks like that Santa Monica thing was part of something bigger.

Yeah, doubt it had anything to do with Santa Monica. They're just cutting everywhere. Really sucks. I wonder what this means for Sony as a whole...major layoffs throughout?

Hope people can find work.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Of all the times I've been in the Cherry Creek Mall, I just recently discovered that store even exists. But still it'd be a shame if it closes.

It's on the list for closure.

Also hi fellow Colorado peeps!

Mobius 1

I only visited the San Marcos store, but left disappointed. Poorly organized, and did not have the latest Sony products on display or available for purchase. Felt like an afterthought

npa189

That is actually a huge bummer, as the staff at U village in washington was extremely helpful in replace my first PS4 that had a bad Blu-ray drive. Retail for one brand, especially one flagging like Sony has to be a huge cash drain. I wish all those guys good luck in finding new jobs.

Dynedom

i don't even think their shops here in Dubai do all that well either (and this place loves its overpriced shit).

I have to thank the Sony Store here for making me aware that a 46" version of the W900A existed though. Immediately bought it on installment from another Best Buy-esque store with 0% interest.

Abounder

Banned
Sales down despite the PS4's record breaking sales.

Godspeed to those who lost jobs. Retail job market sounds tough.

Sony needs to reorganize from the top down.

Chindogg

If that means what I think it means it pretty offensive.

Good luck to the staff getting someone else. I know exactly how they feel.

Basically they're constantly watching numbers and cutting people to maximize their efficiency. It's basically downsizing as an assessment happens rather than a massive cut in one stroke.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Probably inevitable. Such retail stores only work if your brand has the sex appeal to pull people in. If you're not Apple, it's hard to pull off and sustain.

B.O.O.M

The one store I have been to was actually pretty cool..I think I tried the move controller for the first time there. But it was not crowded or anything so from a business pov this probably makes sense

I hope those affected will find employment soon enough

RE_Player

Heart goes out to all those who lost their jobs but this should have happened years ago. Never once have I seen a Sony store full of customers.

fernoca

Good store and nice employees. Too bad.

Though...
Twenty stores in the U.S. are closing:
Las Americas
Puerto Rico!!

And yet, they don't allow me to redeem rewards on the Sony Rewards site..because "PR is not part of the US". Even using a shipping address in the US...for digital rewards. :p

Top Bottom