• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 surpasses 6 million units sold as of March 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethomaz

Banned
Why is PS2 still there? I thought it was discountinued
There is an asterisk.... it is because the FY2012 numbers had PS2 sales yet so the comparison is FY2012 with PS2 vs FY2013 without PS2.

I guess in Q1 FY2014 they will drop the PS2 because the comparison with FY2013 will be without PS2.

Ploid 3.0

So it was an April Fools joke?

Most likely.

xyLirku.jpg

maneil99

Public interest should keep them going till e3. Hopefully they have a good e3 which brings in a second wave. Both companies are essentially selling their future ideas and catalogs. Sony needs to get as many title names out at e3 as they can.

bebop242

I really doubt the 8 million figure to be real, but I suppose we might see a bigger bump than we expect. Suppose Sony held back some units the past couple months to combat Titanfall/xbox one sales? Going for the jugular type thing? Who knows, can't wait for some figures to come out.

I really doubt the 8 million figure to be real, but I suppose we might see a bigger bump than we expect. Suppose Sony held back some units the past couple months to combat Titanfall/xbox one sales? Going for the jugular type thing? Who knows, can't wait for some figures to come out.

As Y2Kev said, the main reason it's hard to believe is because Sony is clearly struggling to make a lot of units. They had some in stock at Amazon Germany yesterday, but they're long gone. Amazon France doesn't have any either.

Hydrargyrus

Lol at fox news... Who the hell works there?

I don't see the 8 million, but I'm sure that they have surpassed the 7 millions by the end of March, and it wouldn't surprise me if infamous has surpassed the million units sold

bebop242

As Y2Kev said, the main reason it's hard to believe is because Sony is clearly struggling to make a lot of units. They had some in stock at Amazon Germany yesterday, but they're long gone. Amazon France doesn't have any either.

Outside the 2 week holiday shutdown has there been any reports of trouble with production output? Germany and France are frankly not Sony's priority atm. Its all about the US and maybe theUK, MS's strongest markets.
I would imagine it would be a coup for Sony to out perform Xbox during Xboxes most crucial point (titanfall) and it would make a pretty good fiscal year report.

Anyway its just speculation, not stating any facts.

dolemite

If they sold 2 million units in March then they would all have to show up in the US sales. It's certainly not in Japan, nor is it in Germany or mainland Europe. The UK sales are up but not enough to account for the 2 million units rise.
EDIT: Damn, I missed New Zealand. Then 2 million units sold totally makes sense.

Skeff

8m shipped would sound about right for 31st of March with around 7m sold. So if it was from an end of Financial year report it would likely be shipped and likely correct.

It'd make sense if it was shipped. As in, 7 million sold through March and another 1 million in transit for April. I think 10 million by E3 is completely doable.

And where are the productions issues speculation coming from? Aren't they selling about a million units a month? I don't think production is an issue, it's just that demand is still high.

Jamix012

8m shipped would sound about right for 31st of March with around 7m sold. So if it was from an end of Financial year report it would likely be shipped and likely correct.

I don't think people realise how nuts 7m sold by the end of march would be. Consider the fact they're unlikely to have broken 400k for the March NPD (which in itself would be a pretty sizeable increase.) And Japan's Sales at less than 160k for the same period. That means "rest of the world" would have to be 440k? Extremely doubtful. This also assumes that PS4 even reaches 400k in the US this month.

ethomaz

Banned
I don't think people realise how nuts 7m sold by the end of march would be. Consider the fact they're unlikely to have broken 400k for the March NPD (which in itself would be a pretty sizeable increase.) And Japan's Sales at less than 160k for the same period. That means "rest of the world" would have to be 440k? Extremely doubtful. This also assumes that PS4 even reaches 400k in the US this month.
7 million sales is highly possible... to be fair I will be surprised if they didn't reach 7 million in sales at the end of March.

8 million is discussable but possible if shipment.

Why are those numbers implausible? Infamous moved a lot of units, especially with bundles in the UK.

I think the actual WW number is likely 6.7M to 6.8M end of March, so 7M isn't impossible.

dolemite

7 million shipped/7 million sold PS4s so far. I don't see the reason why Sony would "fudge" the numbers by moving the April stock into March. MSFT on the other hand....

ethomaz

Banned
7 million shipped/7 million sold PS4s so far. I don't see the reason why Sony would "fudge" the numbers by moving the April stock into March. MSFT on the other hand....
Shipment needs to be always bigger than sales... Amazon had units to sell in late March... so just it put the shipment ahead sales.

The doc of the source saying 8 million was the Financial Release that means shipment and not sales to consumers.

ethomaz

Banned
It's crazy how without stock on Amazon.de PS4 was always on best sellers list.
Not a single XBO bundle on top 100.
Well it never had no stock at all... I checked two days ago and it had 40 units in stock being sold by a third company a little overpriced.

Edit - Sorry I did two post again :(

PS4 sells 4.2 million WW as of Dec. 28th

PS4 sells 5.3 million WW as of Feb. 8th

PS4 sells 6 million WW as of March 2nd

January 2014 NPD - PS4 sells ~271K

February 2014 NPD - PS4 sells ~ 269K

Adjusting for 4 weeks instead of 5, we get approximately 880K untis sold WW between Dec. 28th and Feb. 8th, with ~271K units sold in the US in that timeframe, the US only accounted for approximately 31% of WW sales during that period

Between Feb. 8th and March 2nd, approximately 700K units were sold WW with approximately 202K units sold in the US [adjusted to 3 weeks instead of 4] which again puts the US at approximately 29% of WW PS4 sales

For the holiday season of 2013, PS4 sold 1138K [Nov.] + 865K [Dec.] which is 2003K out of 4200K WW at that time. Thus for the period of launch on Nov. 15 to Dec. 28th PS4 sold approximately 48% of its WW sales in the US

Using US LTD versus WW LTD as of March 2nd, we have 2543K out of 6000K which shows that 42.4% of PS4 sales are in US.

---------------------------

Using the highest US ratio [48%], if PS4 sells 400K in the US in March we can expect 833K sales WW in the same time frame. It should be noted that this wouldn't account for Japan demand/sales or any other region added since Dec. 28th

Using the lowest US ratio [29%] we get 1379K sales WW for the March time period.

Using the US LTD versus WW LTD ratio [42.4%], we get 943K sold WW in that time frame although this would heavily favor the holiday months due to the unit sales

Using an average of the 3 separate time periods [36% = (29%+31%+48%)/3] US ratio we get 1111K PS4's sold WW in that time period

If PS4 sells 400K+ on March NPD I will be shocked if they don't reach 7M WW in that timeframe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom