• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Wants to Start a Marvel Game Universe, lists Facebook game as example

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I will have no problems with this if they stop tying the games into the movies.

Silky

Banned
but but

mahvel

--

Seriously. This is a good thing. Marvel having some sort of creative control with their games? Would definitely prevent a lot of bad eggs.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Isn't this already sort of accomplished by the retelling of storylines from the comics?

Not only that, but this will only suck when they arbitrarily kill off someone and then people start bitching why x character isn't in MvC4. Which will make them even more livid when the justification is as dumb as this rather than for gameplay reasons.

Neoxon

but but

mahvel

--

Seriously. This is a good thing. Marvel having some sort of creative control with their games? Would definitely prevent a lot of bad eggs.
I'm not sure if this means that any chance of a MvC4 happening is dead, but if it were to happen, there'd have to be a canonical reason for the two universes to meet in terms of the MGU (Marvel Game Universe). Not to mention pinning a place in the timeline for the merging of the two worlds. This could also potentially limit the roster further than it already was in UMvC3 (Marvel chose the characters for their side of the roster for UMvC3, sans Shuma & Sentinel), depending on if anyone dies, retires, or has yet to become a hero/villain before the events of MvC4 on Marvel's side of the timeline.

If MvC4 happens, a ton of work will be put in the story of it, or at least its existence in the MGU.

On top of this, I anticipate that the MGU will be heavily inspired by the MCU. Basically, expect more emphasis on the Avengers & the Guardians of the Galaxy like Marvel's been doing recently.

gazele

Banned
As long as the games are good then that's great, not really sure why they need to connect? Or do they just mean more oversight, cause that'd be cool

I'm skeptical, but it has to be better than the alternative movie-licensed forgettable fodder we've been fed over the last few years.

Not really news; they've already been doing this with many of their mobile/social efforts. Avengers Alliance, Avengers Initiative, and Marvel Puzzle Quest are all in the same continuity. I doubt they plan on extending this to consoles given Disney's lack of interest in such, but who knows.

Iron Fist

The God Hand sequel we never had.

Should be made by Platinum Games, localized by 8-4, and include this boss fight:
scan0076.jpg

entremet

Good idea but do they think people are dumb to think MVC3 is some sort of canon.

Delisting UMVC3 was pretty stupid.

Isn't this already sort of accomplished by the retelling of storylines from the comics?

The idea is that, instead of Marvel games being standalone (or relatively so), regardless of whether or not the stories were inspired by or ripped from the comics, they would instead have a specific, shared, continuity: pretend as if Marvel Ultimate Alliance would share the same continuity as Amazing Spider Man would share the same continuity as Deadpool would share the same continuity as X-Men Origins Wolverine. They've done this really well with the "Cinematic Universe" stuff, and doing it with games would be really impressive, but actually pulling that off would be extremely difficult.

The closest thing I can think of that's actually doing what they'd have to do is the Assassin's Creed franchise, where Ubi publishes 1-2 AC games a year (including mobile stuff) that all share the same continuity/universe.

Drayco21

I've been asking for this since the MCU happened. My only worry is that Disney doesn't really value video games, so I'm not sure if they'll be able to pull the talent and get the funding they need to make this work. Hopeful though, I've been buying mediocre Marvel on day one all generation long, so I'd be happy for them to take a risk and maybe get some positive results.

Dysun

Hire some good studios for once. The licensing deals with sega and activison produced pretty much nothing noteworthy

Mesoian

Good idea, but they cant go cheap....I think they are going to go cheap

They're gonna go cheap.

At comic-con, I went to the Marvel Game's panel and the general consensus was "these mobile card games are making us assloads of money, and we don't really care about anything else right now, so fuck it." This might be a real dedicated attempt to go a different direction, but I doubt it. Even if Marvel handles behind the scenes creative like design and script, if they skimp with game design, which they almost assuredly will, they'll be no better off than they were with those terrible Sega Iron Man games.

I am not hopeful.

border

This seems like a pretty awful idea, particularly if they want to be able to farm their projects out to various developers and publishers. Licensed titles are already a dicey proposition -- why would you as a developer want to be saddled down by continuity established in a previous game (or games) you didn't even make?

Moreover though, what is there to be gained by having a unified game universe? It's not going to make any of the games a more attractive purchase. It's only going to make them less exciting since developers will not be able to make major changes to continuity.

How exactly would they manage to tie this all in to the Marvel Heroes game, which is a crossover of ridiculous and improbable proportions?

Dahbomb

Not only that, but this will only suck when they arbitrarily kill off someone and then people start bitching why x character isn't in MvC4. Which will make them even more livid when the justification is as dumb as this rather than for gameplay reasons.
Why would they kill off characters in games?

I mean its not like you defeat Dr Doom in Marvel Heroes and suddenly other Marvel games can't use that character any more.

In any case I do agree that this is not a good look for future MvC games. All the more reason Capcom should stay away from the IP and do their own thing with CAS.

Korigama

They'll need to start being more selective about who they have make said games, then, certainly more than what's typical of licensed games.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Marvel heroes compared to x-men legends is absolutely horrible for the record.

edit, I was thinking of marvel ultimate alliance, forgive me.

Neoxon

To pull this off, Marvel needs 2 things.

- Good Developers: Marvel needs to scope out the best talent, or search for up-&-coming talent that can do their characters justice. WB found potential in Rocksteady, and that potential paid off handsomely. Marvel needs to find their Rocksteady equivalent(s).
- A Good Ring-Leader of the MGU: For reference, Kevin Fiege is the main man behind the successful Marvel Cinematic Universe. His careful planning of each movie and how they connect to one another is nothing short of masterful. Some even say he's this generation's George Lucas. Finding his equal for video games will prove difficult, or even impossible, but Marvel needs someone similar to Fiege to get the job done.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DO NOT GET JEPH LOEB!!!!!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm not sure if this means that any chance of a MvC4 happening is dead, but if it were to happen, there'd have to be a canonical reason for the two universes to meet in terms of the MGU (Marvel Game Universe). Not to mention pinning a place in the timeline for the merging of the two worlds. This could also potentially limit the roster further than it already was in UMvC3 (Marvel chose the characters for their side of the roster for UMvC3, sans Shuma & Sentinel), depending on if anyone dies, retires, or has yet to become a hero/villain before the events of MvC4 on Marvel's side of the timeline.

If MvC4 happens, a ton of work will be put in the story of it, or at least its existence in the MGU.

On top of this, I anticipate that the MGU will be heavily inspired by the MCU. Basically, expect more emphasis on the Avengers & the Guardians of the Galaxy like Marvel's been doing recently.

No X-Men characters, Spider Man characters and Fantastic Four characters since they aren't in MCU if they decided to follow that pattern.

Neoxon

No X-Men characters, Spider Man characters and Fantastic Four characters since they aren't in MCU if they decided to follow that pattern.
I meant heavily inspired in the tone and who they put emphasis on. Although Spidey, the X-Men, & the F4 would be present, they won't be as prominent as the Avengers or the GotG (for marketing reasons).

Silky

Banned
To pull this off, Marvel needs 2 things.

- Good Developers: Marvel needs to scope out the best talent, or search for up-&-coming talent that can do their characters justice. WB found potential in Rocksteady, and that potential paid off handsomely. Marvel needs to find their Rocksteady equivalent(s).

Beenox and High Moon. Both show a profound respect for the franchises they worked on.

But you know; Activision

--

Also, yes, Marvel; bro back up with Capcom. Let them do more than fighting games.

Neoxon

Beenox and High Moon. Both show a profound respect for the franchises they worked on.

But you know; Activision
Both of those devs have the potential, and have proven that they can put out quality games when given the chance. They just need the development time, money, trust, and Marvel guidance to deliver something top-tier.

Mass Effect meets Guardians of the Galaxy. You know what you have to do, Marvel. Do it right, and I'll follow to hell and back. ;)

Pics_nao

All I want is an Ultimate Alliance 3 made by the same guys who made the first one. Goddamn that game is still my favorite Marvel game ever

- A Good Ring-Leader of the MGU: For reference, Kevin Fiege is the main man behind the successful Marvel Cinematic Universe. His careful planning of each movie and how they connect to one another is nothing short of masterful. Some even say he's this generation's George Lucas. Finding his equal for video games will prove difficult, or even impossible, but Marvel needs someone similar to Fiege to get the job done.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DO NOT GET JEPH LOEB!!!!!

Well, you pitch a hard bargain, but I'll do it.

Jagxyz

Dragon Age meets Avengers, pls marvel.

Need me some team building RPGs.

edit : Also Marvel Heroes is really good.

Prototype

Not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing. But if it means more Marvel Iron Man games, then I'm all for it.

Hopefully this would also push the quality up. I've been saying this for years, I would love to see a Marvel offering on the level of RockSteady's Arkham series. An Iron Man man that is highly polished, has fun mechanics, and a genuine focus on the characters involved (not retelling of a movie story), get a good dev team together who is also passionate about the source material and I think that would be as good a motivation as any.

Top Bottom