• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series |OT| More titties, more twisting - Tuesdays on El-Rey

Status
Not open for further replies.
2ba5f2572203de023fe6a5f2ae0d4da2.jpg

8cef1088ea6c0b94076acdcdaa0ce1d5.jpg

"From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series" is centered around bank robber Seth Gecko (D.J. Cotrona) and his violent, unpredictable brother, Richard "Richie" Gecko (Zane Holtz), who are wanted by the FBI and Texas Rangers Earl McGraw (Don Johnson) and Freddie Gonzalez (Jesse Garcia) after a bank heist leaves several people dead. While on the run to Mexico, Seth and Richie encounter former pastor Jacob Fuller (Robert Patrick) and his family, whom they take hostage. Using the family RV to cross the border, chaos ensues when the group detours to a strip club that is populated by vampires. They are forced to fight until dawn in order to get out alive. The series deepens the tone and expands the storyline of the film, adds new characters and backstories and explores the Mesoamerican mythology behind the creatures inside the club.
683a1277e9961579de5f6cd8a48b6390.jpg

f99fcf533dc3c5e958fc50b6469b2f27.jpg
ffa7da7c6d7219270031ff89a8796a1a.jpg
8f5b9e13b7679d6e4347503218031cd6.jpg
200007418cb0daa7713c0dfc5c65e4e7.jpg
1a7851d19466ca9f52d0034eb282eee9.jpg
ab92831a5305f7bbbf475b36bbbeeb5c.jpg
e2777805c2b8a1c5a7430b6c7be2f574.jpg
2b59f13db1c5518b6ab6c9c6e091fab1.jpg
70749cdbd5531e000bd0f79bd6c3d083.jpg
23c72e47fec4c860d93b7c32fddf4c00.jpg
101034a0bdb9faccfd2fccb34dac3188.jpg
9af3c13543ae7fd9ec6737145464ea21.jpg

4554f46c6fc64b433d275dfc928d945f.jpg

77e7a243b6777b74373acc85cddc574c.jpg

0c3129d46126306a1cea34361f51685e.jpeg

Netflix and Miramax have announced that Netflix has acquired the new Robert Rodriguez TV series “From Dusk Till Dawn” as a Netflix exclusive for its subscribers in Canada, Ireland, The Netherlands, Nordic European territories and the UK where it will air starting March 12, with Latin America beginning a week later on March 19.

Netflix will make subsequent episodes available internationally on a weekly basis.

The ten-episode “From Dusk Till Dawn” skein, based on the Rodriguez cult classic, will preem in the U.S. on March 11 on Rodriguez’s own El Rey Network available on Comcast, DirecTV and Time Warner Cable.

Why cant i watch this in MERICA? Huh why dammit? More specifically merica Netflix.

Because El Rey is Robert Rodriguez TV Network, so he certainly wasn't going to air it anywhere else. Sucks for us though that Rodriguez network isn't attractive enough to be picked up on more than 3 cable providers (and only in certain markets for 2 of them).

Alpende

Glad this is on Netflix. Kind of stoked to watch this but first I have to watch Resurrection and Believe's pilots...

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Some reviews I posted in the other thread:

TV Guide - Tuesday TV in Review: From Dusk Till Dawn

I suppose you could save time by just going back and watching the original movie (which starred George Clooney and Quentin Tarantino, who wrote the script), but if you liked that one, you'll almost certainly dig this.

THR - From Dusk Till Dawn -- The Series: TV Review

As a 40-minute expansion on the first 10 minutes of the original film, the action can seem needlessly drawn out and played for time rather than for narrative sense. But the occasionally snappy dialogue, twisted humor and cinematic direction--which are all in Rodriguez's hallmark style--bode well for the rest of the series.

SFGate - 'From Dusk Till Dawn' review: Inclusive, but script lacks bite

Although the script isn't quite as memorable as Tarantino's film script, it is faithful to the events of the film as well as the signature mix of over-the-top violence, cartoonish dialogue and just a hint, so far, of the vampires who will form a welcoming party when the brothers get across the border to Mexico.

Oh, so I can check this out on Canadian Netflix? Cool stuff.

I think I will give this a shot. The trailer looked semi-amateurish, but maybe it'll be good fun.

Forsythia

I didn't really like it. Is the whole first season going to be a remake of the (first) movie? What's the point?

And the actors playing the Gecko brothers suck ass. It looks like they're imitating Tarantino & Clooney, instead of playing the characters.

What also really sucks is that in the movie, the vampire stuff came out of nowhere. Which was of course freaking awesome. But not on this show. Already have some supernatural stuff in the first few minutes. What?

At least that girl is hot.

Not quite as funny as Cheech Marin playing three characters in the original.
Who is the 3rd? I remember the border guard and the pussy guy. Man now I want to watch the movie again. Think I will do that tonight

Edit: nevermind, he played one of the people at the end of the movie right? Haha

Show is available on Amazon and should be or alredy is on all other services: iTunes, Playstation, Xbox, VUDU. So take you pick and go watch it.

Rating is TV-14, so apparently no swearing, intence violence and nudity.

styl3s

USA - El-Rey only.
Other countries - Netflix
And this is one of many reasons why i have PIA installed and why everyone should be using a VPN service.

Show is available on Amazon and should be or alredy is on all other services: iTunes, Playstation, Xbox, VUDU. So take you pick and go watch it.

odd that it doesn't even show up on Xfinity even though his channel is on Comcast.

Ricker

El Rey Network...what...? wonder if my satellite provider offers this lol,first time I hear of it...

EDIT: Oh ,nm lol.

Ridley327

What the hell was the point of making a series based on a film known primarily for its swearing, intense violence, and nudity and not include those things?

Wow, Jake Busey has changed a lot. He used to be so god damn ugly. Now he's cool looking

Who is the 3rd? I remember the border guard and the pussy guy. Man now I want to watch the movie again. Think I will do that tonight

Edit: nevermind, he played one of the people at the end of the movie right? Haha

He was the Gecko's handler down in Mexico. They were going down there to meet him.

Just caught the first episode in Netflix. It's fun! I actually liked it. That vampire dream girl is cute. The hostages kicking Richie was absurdly funny, and Seth just letting them walk off. Lol.

I assume that the eyeballs in hands thing is vampire-related?

The show is so clichéd, but fun despite that. And the bullets cause nicely gory wounds. Wonder if the El Rey network allows T & A.

Richie Gecko is creepy, but I think Tarantino did it better. I'll give the actor a bit more time to settle into the role. I hope they try to make it their own than do a bad Clooney/Tarantino impersonation.

Also, Fez is a cartel leader! Lol.

Who else watched it?

cj_iwakura

I'd rather just watch the film again. You can't top Clooney, it was his best work. I loved seeing him play an unhinged killer.

Replicant

I don't get how this will work. Is every episode going to be one hour of the story's timeline like 24? Unless, of course, this is a mini-series with a definite beginning and ending timed to fit maybe one season series. I don't see how this will last longer than 2 very short seasons at the most.

I don't get how this will work. Is every episode going to be one hour of the story's timeline like 24? Unless, of course, this is a mini-series with a definite beginning and ending timed to fit maybe one season series. I don't see how this will last longer than 2 very short seasons at the most.

I'm wondering that too.

Maybe it's not so much Dusk till Dawn but, Tuesday to Friday.

Just caught the first episode in Netflix. It's fun! I actually liked it. That vampire dream girl is cute. The hostages kicking Richie was absurdly funny, and Seth just letting them walk off. Lol.

I assume that the eyeballs in hands thing is vampire-related?

The show is so clichéd, but fun despite that. And the bullets cause nicely gory wounds. Wonder if the El Rey network allows T & A.

Richie Gecko is creepy, but I think Tarantino did it better. I'll give the actor a bit more time to settle into the role. I hope they try to make it their own than do a bad Clooney/Tarantino impersonation.

Also, Fez is a cartel leader! Lol.

Who else watched it?
I did, on El Rey to boot! It's "rated" TV-14 there so I doubt there will be nudity. Wasn't any in the first episode. Anyway, I thought it was OK but it's basically just a retread of about 10 minutes from the movie so I'm still trying to figure out why it exists. You know, other than the fact that they gave a dude a TV network and left him scrambling to program content for it. For as low budget as the original film was, this feels FAR lower, far cheesier (which is kind of hard to do), and features far weaker performances. Hasn't completely lost me yet because I'm intrigued (/confused) but we'll see.

Moff

I think it was terribly bad.
making a 1:1 remake (with additional scenes) of a well known cult movie like FDTD is a very bad idea. in every scene you notice how much better the original was, and Im really not that big a fan of FDTD. especially seth's actor is terrible, doesnt have even 1% of clooneys presence and coolness, instead it looks and feels like a school play.

the coolness of the original doesnt work at all, instead its complemented by cringworthy scenes, some of them really really bad.

I think the mediocre acting is part of the charm.

Like laughing at a really cheap, terrible B-movie. And this feels fairly amateurish compared to just about everything else on TV.

God, the costumes for the demons looked hilariously, awfully cheap.

Alpende

Even thought it looks cheap, I really like it. I like both actors and Seth losing his mind is pretty neat.

I think Robert Rodriquez' intention was to make it a B movie type of show. Just look at his recent work, Machete etc., that's also a B movie. Not everything has to be top notch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom