• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Banjo-Kazooie
(03-18-2014, 03:21 AM)

What to expect in this update preview

For those of you that participated in last month’s (1403) update preview, this preview wave will be a little different:

The 1404 update preview will run a bit longer than the 1403 preview. As a result, not all of the features listed below will be available in the first 1404 update. Some features will be enabled in 1404 updates that are rolled out later in the preview.

Some of the features listed below will be enabled outside of a console update. Keep an eye on the forums for announcements and information on when new features are made available.

What’s new in this release?

• Game and app saves and updates. A game save progress bar will show you the status of your game saves. You will also be able to easily tell what games and apps are being updated or have been updated recently.
  • Friends improvements. Notifications will be added to see when favorites and friends sign in to Xbox Live. This actually was one of the most frequently requested features from the first preview wave and we made it a priority to include it in the April update. Also, friends who are in multiplayer will be identified in the friends list. We’ll also add the ability to view friends’ most popular apps.
  • Blu-ray 50 Hz video output support for content recorded at 50 Hz will resolve video playback issues some Xbox Live members in Europe are experiencing.
  • Kinect voice and motion improvements will continue to fine tune the quality and reliability of Xbox One commands.
  • Improved GameDVR video quality through compression algorithm improvements.
  • Updates to Xbox One device management to address issues controlling TVs, set top boxes, and receivers that our customers have reported.
  • New audio settings to tune how much volume is lowered when Kinect is used in communications.

Source for those in the update preview program already: http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/x...4/default.aspx
Last edited by Banjo-Kazooie; 03-18-2014 at 03:23 AM.
malfcn
(03-18-2014, 03:22 AM)
Interesting. I have a list I was going to post of things I wanted to see improved.
This is a step in the right direction.
Figments
(03-18-2014, 03:24 AM)
Awesome. I don't have a 'Bone myself, but great to see the updates coming out as fast as they are, even if they have features that should've been there from the start.
RkOwnage
(03-18-2014, 03:24 AM)
Lol at them hyping friend notifications as a new thing...so sad.

That being said, thank god theyre adding it back.
chadskin
(03-18-2014, 03:25 AM)
Kudos MS for being transparent about their upcoming system updates. Take a page out of MSs book, Sony.
Montresor
(03-18-2014, 03:26 AM)

Originally Posted by RkOwnage

It is awful that it wasn't there in the first place. But at the same time, I can't help but yell "BASED MS" at this news. Woot. Hopefully we will get notifications whether people show up online on 360 or XB1.
nStruct
These monthly updates have been nice. Can't wait for notifications!
DMPrince

Originally Posted by chadskin

Kudos MS for being transparent about their upcoming system updates. Take a page out of MSs book, Sony.

Stability updates are the best.
Steverulez
(03-18-2014, 03:27 AM)
Microsoft are getting these updates out thick and fast great news. Looking forward to getting this hopefully in the next couple of days.

Friends online thing is a big bonus.
DR3AM
Banned
good news
TheLaw
Banned

No one is hyping anything stop making an issue out of everything.

This looks great, hope to see external HDD support soon too.
Team Vernia
(03-18-2014, 03:28 AM)

SO MUCH HYPE!!!

Seriously... where did you see any hype?
Vinc
(03-18-2014, 03:29 AM)

Updates to Xbox One device management to address issues controlling TVs, set top boxes, and receivers that our customers have reported.

I hope this somehow means they've enabled HDMI-CEC for the HDMI output. I hate how it doesn't support it right now. The "Xbox On" command turns on my TV but doesn't automatically switch to the right input. It's so convenient on PS3 and PS4 where I can just press the PS button and it'll turn on my TV, switch to the right input automatically and even remember my volume settings.
Banjo-Kazooie
(03-18-2014, 03:30 AM)
The update is beginning to trickle out slowly for those in the update preview program. Not all features may be available during the first release, they should be releasing updates regularly from now until the update goes live in April...currently don't have the update myself, so not sure if friend notifications will appear in the first batch or not.

Like others said, not sure why they didn't have this for the longest time, but at least it will finally be here!
netBuff
(03-18-2014, 03:31 AM)

Pretty sure we've gotten detailed information for all substantial updates so far from Sony.

Originally Posted by Vinc

I hope this somehow means they've enabled HDMI-CEC for the HDMI output. I hate how it doesn't support it right now. The "Xbox On" command turns on my TV but doesn't automatically switch to the right input. It's so convenient on PS3 and PS4 where I can just press the PS button and it'll turn on my TV, switch to the right input automatically and even remember my volume settings.

Probably not, I think they'd make a bigger deal out of adding HDMI-CEC support.
Syphon Filter
Dam already, MS movin', keep it up.
gamechanger87

Originally Posted by netBuff

Pretty sure we've gotten detailed information for all substantial updates so far from Sony.

Yes. Stability updates are every owners dream.
BuggeryBugz
(03-18-2014, 03:32 AM)

You're right about them adding a much needed feature back but I'm not sure about you're definition of hype.
VanWinkle
Man, props to Microsoft for updating and making their system better so fast. Meanwhile, PS4 hasn't had a meaningful update since launch.

Hashtag bitter hashtag Driveclub hashtag pentupfeelings hashtag youlied.
Last edited by VanWinkle; 03-18-2014 at 03:36 AM.
netBuff

Originally Posted by gamechanger87

A stability update is an update that doesn't add any noteworthy features. We're not exactly getting detailed changelogs from either platform holder. It's not like this list here is all that detailed.

Sony have been good about listing noteworthy changes.
BigBearJohnson
Banned
(03-18-2014, 03:33 AM)
Are they still allowing those in the update to invite others to get the update?
LockonStratos
(03-18-2014, 03:33 AM)
Okay..this is one thing I can give MS a handclap about. UPDATES!

Sony, where the fuck are the updates!?..I wanna see when my friends log on on PS4!
Team Vernia
(03-18-2014, 03:34 AM)

Originally Posted by gamechanger87

Dat stability. So good.
Vire
DancingJesus
Is it so fucking hard Sony for us to change our dash color? Good lord...

Props to Microsoft for getting their updates out on in a more timely manner.
netBuff

Originally Posted by VanWinkle

Man, props to Microsoft for updating and making their system better so fast. Meanwhile, PS4 hasn't had a meaningful update since launch.

Hashtag bitter.

Well, these features the PS4 already has: That speaks to the unfinished state the Bone OS has been in for a long time now.
NullPointer
#INTESTINAL
(03-18-2014, 03:35 AM)

+1 to this. Good job MS.
Mihael Mello Keehl
(03-18-2014, 03:35 AM)
Glad its back better than not being there.
VanWinkle
(03-18-2014, 03:36 AM)

Well, these features the PS4 already has: That speaks to the unfinished state the Bone OS has been in for a long time now.

Yeah (though PS4 doesn't have friend online notifications), but there's still A LOT missing from PS4 that needs added.
Team Vernia
(03-18-2014, 03:36 AM)

What features?
TheOhrenberger.
(03-18-2014, 03:37 AM)

They're not hyping anything up... I'll seriously never understand why people make statements like this when a company fixes something or adds a highly requested feature. Should it have been there to begin with? Yeah probably. Was it? No. Are we getting it now? Yes, so stop being salty because they listened to the community.

It's good to see that MS is putting out a lot of quality updates. Like seriously every single update they've made has been pretty good thus far. It makes me excited for what they'll do in the future.
ShinobiFist
El Fabio Speaks Wu-Tang
(03-18-2014, 03:37 AM)
SONY use to do constant updates on the PS3...What happen? Good on MS to continue.
SlickShoesRUCrazy
(03-18-2014, 03:38 AM)
Awesome. Glad to see them being transparent about this stuff.
Syphon Filter

A stability update is an update that doesn't add any noteworthy features. We're not exactly getting detailed changelogs from either platform holder. It's not like this list here is all that detailed.

Sony have been good about listing noteworthy changes.

There has not been a decent update from Sony yet. Correct me if i am wrong but they still haven't address the games and apps being bunched together. I hope they aren't slow with updates like last gen was for them.
statham
much faster then I expected.
Bsigg12
(03-18-2014, 03:39 AM)

Originally Posted by BigBearJohnson

Are they still allowing those in the update to invite others to get the update?

You won't need to here since they're not fundamentally changing the party system again. I'm betting they're just taking whoever was in the previous preview and making that their group for all tests moving forward.
TrueGrime
Banned
(03-18-2014, 03:39 AM)
Wow. Another great update. Impressive.
LockonStratos
(03-18-2014, 03:40 AM)
So better release an update in April.
Dark_AnNiaLatOr
(03-18-2014, 03:42 AM)
Damn, they're snowballing full force!
BigBearJohnson
Banned
(03-18-2014, 03:44 AM)

Originally Posted by Bsigg12

You won't need to here since they're not fundamentally changing the party system again. I'm betting they're just taking whoever was in the previous preview and making that their group for all tests moving forward.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the input. Was hoping I could maybe beg my way into the preview.
CyReN
(03-18-2014, 03:45 AM)
When the hell am I going to get auto sign in without Kinect?
molvetica
(03-18-2014, 03:46 AM)
Sony should fire the entire department that worked on the PS4 and Vita UI's, then create a new Western team to fix and maintain them.

MS is gonna start eating Sony's lunch if they don't get their shit together soon.
Defect
(03-18-2014, 03:47 AM)
I got the message from Xbox an hour ago. Does it go live tonight or soon. I am in the preview program.
kittens
(03-18-2014, 03:47 AM)
Can I port beg for friend notifications? Cause the PS4 really needs that.
RdN
(03-18-2014, 03:48 AM)
Didn't get the Xbox message and still no update.

I was in the last preview, so hopefully I'll receive it soon.
statham
(03-18-2014, 03:48 AM)

Originally Posted by molvetica

Sony should fire the entire department that worked on the PS4 and Vita UI's, then create a new Western team to fix and maintain them.

MS is gonna start eating Sony's lunch if they don't get their shit together soon.

I like they are aggressive with the OS.
Team Vernia
(03-18-2014, 03:49 AM)
Just got the update and installing now. Sweet.
TheUnsunghero26
(03-18-2014, 03:49 AM)

Originally Posted by kittens

Can I port beg for friend notifications? Cause the PS4 really needs that.

Friend Notifications Sigma. Coming soon to PS4.
RdN
(03-18-2014, 03:50 AM)

Originally Posted by ShinobiFist

SONY use to do constant updates on the PS3...What happen? Good on MS to continue.

Useless updates.. Microsoft is actually adding and correcting stuff. Big difference.
Vashetti
(03-18-2014, 03:51 AM)
Getting a little jelly.

I wish Sony were more forthcoming with firmware news.
bananas
(03-18-2014, 03:52 AM)
It's crazy how MS will have revamped the Game+App Library and Storage Management, Friends App, the Party System, and changed the way Notifications worked in less than 6 months.

Of course the way it worked at launch was bullshit, but still, it's impressive none-the-less.