• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One April Update Preview Now LIVE - Friend Online Notifications are back(soon)!

spannicus

Sony should fire the entire department that worked on the PS4 and Vita UI's, then create a new Western team to fix and maintain them.

MS is gonna start eating Sony's lunch if they don't get their shit together soon.

Second this. The PS4's UI is atrocious.

Mikey Jr.

Sony better come out of the fucking gate with a huge firmware.

Because if its some piddly piece of shit that fixes jack shit and just has "stability improvements", we'll, that'll just suck.

sangreal

title says it is live, but is it actually live? as in people have the update already?

I'm in the program and checked the forum post but did not see any dates mentioned

Boke1879

Good shit on MS for these timely updates. Sony needs to get on their shit honestly. We need friend notifications, suspend and resume.

Amazing how we've heard nothing from Sony on the next updates. This has ALWAYS been one area Sony has sorely lacked in.

rob305

...meanwhile i still can't turn off the stupid light on the PS4 controller. Whats going on there Sony?

muzzymate

I just turned the power brick in my cabinet, so I can look forward to seeing the orange light of update bliss shinning at me when I wake up. Hooray!

Boke1879

Sony should fire the entire department that worked on the PS4 and Vita UI's, then create a new Western team to fix and maintain them.

MS is gonna start eating Sony's lunch if they don't get their shit together soon.

They won't eat their lunch based on UI or updates, but Sony does need to be more timely with these updates. I agree.

It's crazy how MS will have revamped the Game+App Library and Storage Management, Friends App, the Party System, and changed the way Notifications worked in less than 6 months.

Of course the way it worked at launch was bullshit, but still, it's impressive none-the-less.

That's just the thing. They rushed it out with problems so they don't deserve kudos for fixing those problems.

Did anyone get a feedback app from the previous programme?
Know one of my friends got a code to download the feedback app that allows screenshot capture, looks like the new update is rolling out tonight.

Phreaker

Hmm, kinda wish they kept it like it is, not notifying people when I come online. As is when I appear offline it is apparent and I get messages asking why I am appearing offline. :( Sometimes I just want to watch Twitch or play a game without having to start talking to people.

Lol at them hyping friend notifications as a new thing...so sad.

That being said, thank god theyre adding it back.

What hype are you talking about. They are just explaining what's coming on the update. How in hell is that HYPE? Gee whiz, you people...

Oh, it is a new thing to that console. It's not there in the first place, so it's new.

I don't even want an X1 but good lord at some of your toxic and irresponsible comments.

That's just the thing. They rushed it out with problems so they don't deserve kudos for fixing those problems.

I would kill to have Sony fixing some of the crap I'm dealing with on the PS4's OS. KILL FOR IT. Kudos to you, Microsoft. A hundred, thousand kudos :pGRkudossound:

molnizzle

Second this. The PS4's UI is atrocious.

Well I disagree there, I think the PS4 UI is perfectly serviceable and leagues ahead of the Xbone's. In my opinion the Xbone has the worst console UI of all time (well, since we've had consoles that have UI's, at least). It's terrible.

MS is iterating fast though, and we know that they have no problem completely re-designing their shit from the ground up. I have total faith that MS will fix the Xbone UI — and sooner rather than later. Whereas with Sony I have absolutely zero faith, and I never will until they shift their software engineering manpower from Japan to Silicon Valley.

I love how the PS4 UI is minimalist and functional, but there are still many glaring issues that need to be addressed. Some of which are rather minor and shouldn't have taken this long to be fixed. Sony really needs to get their shit together here.

Is this going to be a thing now? monthly updates would be kind of cool

I would expect it to be until such a time comes when they don't feel that there is much to update in the system via these smaller but quicker updates.

When that is who knows, probably for the first year, then perhaps they slow down, just conjecture though I have no idea officially.

hwalker84

Cracking the whip on their OS programmers. Guys are kicking ass getting this system where it needs to be. Missing external USB support still.

You won't need to here since they're not fundamentally changing the party system again. I'm betting they're just taking whoever was in the previous preview and making that their group for all tests moving forward.

Yes on both accounts. Once you are in the preview program, you are in it for all future previews until you decide to opt out.

And ya, you can chat with people who have this preview and those who don't, since they aren't updating the party chat in this update it seems.

title says it is live, but is it actually live? as in people have the update already?

I'm in the program and checked the forum post but did not see any dates mentioned

Slowly trickling out, but yes, people have it and are continuing to receive the updates. Just like the last one, it will show up at different times for different people. I don't have it yet, but got a message on LIVE saying I should have it soon.

Bessy67

Well I disagree there, I think the PS4 UI is perfectly serviceable and leagues ahead of the Xbone's. In my opinion the Xbone has the worst console UI of all time (well, since we've had consoles that have UI's, at least). It's terrible.

MS is iterating fast though, and we know that they have no problem completely re-designing their shit from the ground up. I have total faith that MS will fix the Xbone UI — and sooner rather than later.

I'm actually curious as to what you find so terrible about the OS. I mean, calling it the worst of all time, you must have some pretty good reasons. What do you think they still need to fix?

airborn

Some nice additions, but there are other things that still need to be fixed:

- Storage management. The ability to remove downloadable content that isn't tied to a previously played game. An option to uninstall in the Store would be a start.
- The achievement app seems to be pulling language data on a game per game basis. If my console is set to English, I shouldn't be seeing French or even Italian descriptions.
- The Zoo Tycoon glitch. Never played the full version (only the demo), yet the game icon shows up under My Games & Apps.

Alchemist

Meanwhile at Sony Japan...

Seriously, this is one thing Microsoft does right. It's been 4 months and still no significant update to the PS4 UI.

Some nice additions, but there are other things that still need to be fixed:

- Storage management. The ability to remove downloadable content that isn't tied to a previously played game. An option to uninstall in the Store would be a start.
- The achievement app seems to be pulling language data on a game per game basis. If my console is set to English, I shouldn't be seeing French or even Italian descriptions.
- The Zoo Tycoon glitch. Never played the full version (only the demo), yet the game icon shows up under My Games.

yea i also hope for a list/icon view for achievements and demos should not stay in your game library if deleted.

I could see Microsoft releasing minor updates almost monthly, just like their Windows OS's. Maybe not new features each time, but rather bug and security fixes.

No you can't. I'm not sure it will ever happen, I have read it has something to do with the privacy laws here, it's not allowed to be listening constantly.
Shoot you're right. I'm sorry. Looks like you can tell it to turn off though. Well that's a bummer for you guys. You should have te option to opt in even if your government doesn't believe in it.

spannicus

MS is iterating fast though, and we know that they have no problem completely re-designing their shit from the ground up. I have total faith that MS will fix the Xbone UI — and sooner rather than later. Whereas with Sony I have absolutely zero faith, and I never will until they shift their software engineering manpower from Japan to Silicon Valley.

I love how the PS4 UI is minimalist and functional, but there are still many glaring issues that need to be addressed. Some of which are rather minor and shouldn't have taken this long to be fixed. Sony really needs to get their shit together here.

I wouldnt say leagues ahead but we share different opinions. Mines stays in its box until something good comes around to play. Its simple no doubt but just seems very dull and amateurish.

Whogie

Alright, cool. Kinect accuracy and friend notifications will be nice. I hope they start focusing on some media functions soon, though. (DLNA and 3D)
Seems they're still putting out fires though.

Bsigg12

Is this going to be a thing now? monthly updates would be kind of cool

Probably will last until they've cleared the backlog of features that were originally planned for launch/first 6 months but moved back to restructure the system. After that point it'll be more stability updates rather than feature adding.

Like that you can now see what games and apps have recently updated, small cross in top right corner of app picture in my games and apps.
Just a shame it doesn't show on your pinned tiles.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Ps4 updates is like ps3 clock fix. ;)

I'm fine with how it is at the moment but I hope they aren't sitting on their laurels just because of sales lead. Gamers are fickle. Its always gonna be about what have you done for me lately and ms has been doing some things better than Sony since launch.

Top Bottom