• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo tradmarks "QOL" in Japan, for many kinds of products

Hoo-doo

Banned
I wonder if they will flounder hard in this area. If you thought the console business was competitive, oh boy.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder why very few of these "trademarked in Japan" lack a link to the source. While I don't doubt it's trademarked, a link to JPO would be nice. I'd provide one myself if that site wasn't so hard to use.

L~A

Rösti;104864163 said:
I wonder why very few of these "trademarked in Japan" lack a link to the source. While I don't doubt it's trademarked, a link to JPO would be nice. I'd provide one myself if that site wasn't so hard to use.

Because it's much easier to just copy/paste a tweet than actually do your job and research that stuff. Twitter journalism at its best :(

(Nah, not criticizing StreetsAhead ;))

Get the look.

The Nintendo look.

IwataPrettyBoy.gif

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Non wearable clothes, here we come.

Is there a link to the actual trade mark? Or a translation of the covered things.
I've no direct link, but this is the page I normally use for Japanese trademark searches, but I'm having trouble with Katakana and Kanji rendering there, just shows up as ASCII: http://www3.ipdl.inpit.go.jp/cgi-bin/ET/ep_detail.cgi

I believe this corresponds to the following applications:

Appl. No.2013-09746
Appl. No.2014-005869

adg1034

Why is this news? Genuine question. What is QOL?

Quality of life. It's their new health/not-wearable/something pillar that they've talked about recently as Nintendo's next big push. Think Wii Vitality Sensor, but not necessarily tied in with games.

Trago

So this new branding won't be limited to health and fitness, and it will include games.

This can basically be anything right?

Why is this news? Genuine question. What is QOL?

I heard from some sources it is "Quality of Life". It is something you have to get in order to sell to people to consume like food, clothes, or makeup. Most likely it is something they are doing if they go through the idea of "non-wearable exercise gear".

I thought there was potential in the QoL strategy, but if they're planning to use that acronym in marketing and branding, they're sunk before they've started.

Random collections of letters that mean nothing to the masses are not how you brand a big initiative like this, Nintendo.

L~A

The fact that the trademark includes lots of stuff (including games and stuff) is hardly surprising : pretty much all trademarks cover as much stuff as possible.

What I'm curious about is : who's working on that QoL stuff? Did they create some new teams just for that?

JoeM86

I thought there was potential in the QoL strategy, but if they're planning to use that acronym in marketing and branding, they're sunk before they've started.

Random collections of letters that mean nothing to the masses are not how you brand a big initiative like this, Nintendo.

Just covering bases. They registered this on January 29th, just before the investor meeting.

Companies register these trademarks all the time, even if they don't use them.

The fact that the trademark includes lots of stuff (including games and stuff) is hardly surprising : pretty much all trademarks cover as much stuff as possible.

What I'm curious about is : who's working on that QoL stuff? Did they create some new teams just for that?

I believe so. They have been expanding a bit of late and just shifted an extra $13bn into their R&D budget.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
The source code displays the Katakana and Kanji correctly. Should I post the Goods & Services?

wsippel

Banned
I wonder if they will flounder hard in this area. If you thought the console business was competitive, oh boy.
Considering we have absolutely no idea what exactly they're working on, we don't know if there's any competition to begin with. According to Iwata, nobody does what they're planning to do, so it'll be another Blue Ocean.

Mandoric

Banned
Just covering bases. They registered this on January 29th, just before the investor meeting.

Companies register these trademarks all the time, even if they don't use them.

I believe so. They have been expanding a bit of late and just shifted an extra $13bn into their R&D budget.

¥13bn, surely? They don't have $13bn.

Somnid

It's a good buzzword, probably the best since "retina." Sounds mysterious and technical, has a malleable meaning but is still understandable. Easy to remember. Seems like something industry people have been using for a long time despite Iwata more-or-less coining it as a real piece of technical vocabulary.

"QOL" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue in any language I can think of.

English and Japanese are two I can think of. 3 letter acronyms tend to have properties that lead to easy memorization, the hard part is whether or not you pronounce it or just say the letters, in this case we know it's "kyu oh el" versus "qwol" but that's part of advertising.

Inb4 QOL is the successor to ROB.
Actually I think something like ROB would be cool as a "non wearable" platform. I also don't think its a coincidence that Wii Fit Trainer was added to Smash. Wouldn't surprise me if she became the face of the platform or I guess products.

They are really branching out. Pretty fast.

Its a widespread term. Not really Nintendo specific.

It's not weird as a standalone word...neither is "We" when used in a sentence.

I'm saying it's weird as a branding, like "Buy the QOL Fit, straight from Nintendo!" I'm presuming that's what they'll use the trademark for.

Effect

Can anything be taken away from trademarks being filed now? Are these usually done super early in the life of an idea or product or when something is about (in a few months to weeks) to be revealed?

QOL = Quality of Life products??

Didn't Nintendo say they were looking at non wearable health products and an increased focus on health?

Top Bottom