• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UC4 Game Director Justin Richmond Leaves ND (And famousmortimer leaves GAF #1393)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did Sony come out and actually say what the memory allocation was? Is it on the spec sheet of the PS4?

Naughty Dog did: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=782997

In that thread thuway, verendus, kagari and another guy (approved by bish) said that the DF article is wrong.

The initial article apparently wasn't totally accurate, because they left out the portion of memory managed by the OS but available for games. The 6gb thing, which was repeated as fact here pretty much until the ND thread above, was also not accurate however.

famousmortimer is gone huh? Well, so long mate.

To me it always looked like he simply started a hashtag that became popular and then it escalated quickly to some sort of insider that had privileged information. Not that it's bad or anything but... that's all he was right? I mean, aside from raising popularity and crowdfunding.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
So not only is he permabanned, but his degree and role in the operation revoked? Tough week. But I guess that's reasonable when someone can't deliver on what's become expected of them. Given more time, he still wasn't able to vet the info. And now he needs to be replaced.

Wouldn't you replace him?

Bundy

Banned
-PS Meeting line-up: Cerny, DriveClub, Killzone, Infamous
-R&C Into the Nexus
-R&C Into the Nexus PS3 only
-DriveClub getting delayed
-Going against all other insiders and insisting PS4 won't release in October
-Some things related to VR I think

Just from the top of my head. I'm sure there is more.
Wrong. Most of these informations have been posted by some websites and other stuff was just guesswork with a logical result afterwards.
Mort doesn't have any "insider" sources. Same with thuway.
This charade is going on for too long already. And "funny" sites like DualShockers and GamingBolt quoting these guys all the time....... makes it so much worse.

I can't pretend to be in Mort's mind at the time, but it really does seem like he wanted to defend Sony from attacks that they are falling apart at the seams and used a weapon he's used many times before, that he knows something that is unverifiable, to bolster his argument.

As someone that has had IGN stories written about their GAF posts, there's always that moment of "Uh, shit, what if my source was wrong?" And sometimes, they are actually wrong and you look foolish, despite simply being the middleman for the information (and you should, you chose to disseminate it). I am guessing Mort did not expect this to blow up to other news sites and thought it would stay within the GAF bubble and didn't realize the damage his full-throated defense of Sony might do to the people he was talking about. I can almost understand his desire to bury his head in the sand and not follow up on how people are reacting to it, because as far as he was concerned, he accomplished what needed to be done by explaining that Sony is fine by using information that would never be contradicted.

Until it was, I guess.

But yeah, it was just such an unnecessary swipe. He used the sharpest sword in his scabbard, inside information, to see out an end goal - it was just unnecessary overkill and he wound up falling on to it.

The initial article apparently wasn't totally accurate, because they left out the portion of memory managed by the OS but available for games. The 6gb thing, which was repeated as fact here pretty much until the ND thread above, was also not accurate however.
Ya, it was 3.5 GB originally, which is probably the amount they have directly access to. This later changed when DF included the 1.5 GB managed by the OS (after the insiders said the article was wrong). The 6 GB from thuway might actually be true for some games in early pre-production (he did say "some" games implying not everyone), considering Sony might have already plans in place to get the OS footprint down by like 2016. So eventually he will be right, but what matters of course is that right now devs don't have access to 6 GB of RAM. Thuway should have been more specific.

Wrong. Most of these informations have been posted by some websites and other stuff was just guesswork with a logical result afterwards.
Wrong. No one leaked DriveClub, Killzone and Cerny before FM (the actual names). Same for "Into the Nexus" as a name for the latest R&C. Also Insomniac betrayalton last E3. Inform yourself next time.

Bundy

Banned
Wrong. No one leaked DriveClub, Killzone and Cerny before FM. Same for "Into the Nexus" as a name for the latest R&C. Inform yourself next time.
There is nothing to "inform". Stop defending this fraud... err... I mean, your buddy.
Guy is doing this for too long already.

Disappointing thread in a lot of ways.

Disappointing that it rumors had to be stated as fact that could hurt people.

Disappointed at the response of people when they were wrong.

Disappointed at the way some people need to treat those who have messed up. It's not enough that they were wrong we should belittle and make fun of them too? That's not cool in my opinion.

There is nothing to "inform". Stop defending this fraud... err... I mean, your buddy.
He is not my buddy. WTF are you talking about? He was the first to leak most of those things, which is a fact. Stop pretending otherwise.

Pete confirmed the Drive Club delay after another website posted the rumor.
I'm not talking about the delay. I mean the game.

Bundy

Banned
He is not my buddy. WTF are you talking about? He was the first to leak most of those things, which is a fact. Stop pretending otherwise.
He leaked nothing. It's stuff which he has heard from some interviews and afterwards he made some claims, which were true in the end. Or he "confirmed" some already posted rumors of different websites.
He knows absolutely nothing. But keep defending him, buddy.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
News, everybody. News 4 Gamerz.

Courtesy of fauxbuzz, which I only just heard of. Good thing I can find out all about them.

Lively comments on both.

Horrible to think what would have happened had Col not been able to catch wind of the misinformation and correct it. Would that misinformation now be on N4G, courtesy of Fauxbuzz?

Also, ironic that FamousMortimer explains that he has been misperceived because he was not aware of what was being said about him here. That lack of awareness was not something Col could afford.

All of this is very sobering.

He leaked nothing. It's stuff which he has heard from some interviews and afterwards he made some claims, which were true in the end. Or he "confirmed" some already posted rumors of different websites.
You're just wrong, Bundy. Pete has leaked tons of info here, well before others. That's not the issue at hand, though. This time his actions affected someone's personal life in his attempt to defend Sony's recent restructuring efforts.

Valnen

Precisely. You can't just create a landslide and then shrug it off after the damage is done once it turns out that it was wrong all along. "Oh well, it's just the nature of the beast. Sorry!" Give me a break, man.
But that IS the nature of games development. Plans sometimes change

StuBurns

Banned
You're just wrong, Bundy. Pete has leaked tons of info here, well before others. That's not the issue at hand, though. This time his actions affected someone's personal life in his attempt to defend Sony's recent restructuring efforts.
How does what he suggested 'defend' Sony above what actually happened?

Solal

What are you talking about?

Yes, the people who paid attention to Sony's comments after the announcement did know what they were going to do.

Moreover, I have no idea how saying the NoDRM hashtag didn't do anything is spitting on Mort.

The FM part was more general and not directed to you. Sorry about that.

Why would he feel the need to defend their restructuring ?

Stop spouting lies. The NAME "Knack" and "DriveClub" is far from guesswork and was leaked NOWHERE before.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
And then the revisionists pours in, and a man is erased from the records in a blink of an eye.

Ya, it was 3.5 GB originally, which is probably the amount they have directly access to. This later changed when DF included the 1.5 GB managed by the OS (after the insiders said the article was wrong). The 6 GB from thuway might actually be true for some games in early pre-production (he did say "some" games implying not everyone), considering Sony might have already plans in place to get the OS footprint down by like 2016. So eventually he will be right, but what matters if of course that right now devs don't have access to 6GB of RAM. Thuway should have been more specific.

You have your numbers flipped around, df said 3.5gb reserved for the OS and 4.5gb directly available. They later updated it to include 0.5gb of flexible memory. Maybe it will be 6gb in 2016. Maybe devs on some game thuway heard about were using too much memory on a devkit.

Either way, my concern was more that thuway is a very blatantly biased source who posted that as a sort of "LEAVE SONY ALONE" thing. That isn't an attitude I feel comfortable trusting, that was my point to begin with.

Bundy

Banned
Yeah, he "leaked" some guesswork and rumors from different websites.
Whatever, bro! Keep believing him.

Isn't his new website coming soon? Perfect timing, after he has established himself as an "insiiiiiidor".
Weird, before the "let's start NoDRM" campaign, he was just a Joe Average guy on Neogaf. After the "NoDRM" stuff, all of a sudden, he became the super industry insiiiiiidor with tons of sources and buddies in the dev community.
Yeah, can't wait for his website. "Funny" times ahead.

How does what he suggested 'defend' Sony above what actually happened?
His post's intent was to combat allegations that SCEA was in bad shape with all the recent staff changes. He threw someone under the bus in the process. I don't think he intended to hurt someone, but he did.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I always agreed with what TotalBiscuit said about mort's involvement in the "No DRM" thing. That stunt campaign didn't "do" anything except create a lot of good PR leading into the E3 conference. Mort and those guys were getting a little too self-righteous about how much affect they had on that. If that's one of the reasons GAF doesn't like TB, then I think some people need perspective, he was right to call it out.

There clearly was an element of it being a PR campaign, as far as I'm concerned, which was demonstrated by how quickly the 'we need to fight for our rights' angle was dropped by some people when the suggestion of also tweeting at Xbox PR people was suggested. But whether it's fair to call the entire thing that, I dunno.

Vinc

Well... he's right, people who are considered "insiders" or whatever did break some news.

In any case, I think leaking information you've heard from multiple, vetted sources is OK. If it can hurt people professionally and personally, however, it should be checked and vetted a trillion times before it's posted, and that's only in cases where the information is beneficial to the public in a meaningful way. Even if the information that was leaked this time had been true, it wasn't benefiting anyone. It was only an attempt to satisfy the curiosity of an audience that didn't have to know what happened. The fact that it turned out to not be true just makes it ten times worse. It was a bad call, but he did apologize. I wish the best for Col and his family.

Bundy

Banned
His post's intent was to combat allegations that SCEA was in bad shape with all the recent staff changes. He threw someone under the bus in the process. I don't think he intended to hurt someone, but he did.
And don't forget the "OMG! Desaster for the Xbone. Broken party-chat and UI. Oh noes. Sky is falling" super insiiiidor news he was leaking. Yeah, these were funny times.

StuBurns

Banned
Oh, so you're suggesting he hadn't actually heard Col was fired, he just needed a reason because he wanted to combat every noted departure? Could be, that'd be really unfortunate though.

And don't forget the "OMG! Desaster for the Xbone. Broken party-chat and UI. Oh noes. Sky is falling" super insiiiidor news he was leaking. Yeah, these were funny times.
Yeah, his intent seemed obvious with that one. He was partially right with some of the party chat issues, but spun the info in the most negative way possible.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches

Isn't his new website coming soon? Perfect timing, after he has established himself as an "insiiiiiidor".
Weird, before the "let's start NoDRM" campaign, he was just a Joe Average guy on Neogaf. After the "NoDRM" stuff, all of a sudden, he became the super industry insiiiiiidor with tons of sources and buddies in the dev community.
He was leaking stuff before the NoDRM campaign, and some of his leaks (not "guesswork"), which didn't exist elsewhere, came to fruition.

I can believe you're making me defend Pete being the critic of him I was. But that goes to show how incredibly off the mark you are. Unless you provide proof of your claims, i.e. "He never leaked a single thing, ever!" I'm gonna have to douse that torch and ask you to hand in your pitchfork. It's okay, he's gone.

This charade is going on for too long already. And "funny" sites like DualShockers and GamingBolt quoting these guys all the time....... makes it so much worse.

Let's not tear the guy down, especially when he can't defend himself.

For what it's worth, he posted about the Insomniac MS announcement a few days before the conference as well as DR3 exclusivity. He was wrong on Hawken and LoL though...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=58000008&postcount=243

And this changes nothing about the fact that he did leak actual stuff. Funny thing is he leaked whole games before the NoDRM stuff happened. You keep being wrong. Instead of digging your own hole deeper by trying to discredit him, I suggest you admit you were wrong.

stewy

I dunno. The Party Chat feature was pretty broken right up until around the launch of Titanfall. Never worked properly or consistently for me or the circle of friends I play online with.

And the UI...didn't we just get basic features like a controller battery indicator and the ability to manage our storage recently?

I didn't think any of that was up for debate.

Bundy

Banned
Yeah, his intent seemed obvious with that one. He was partially right with some of the party chat issues, but spun the info in the most negative way possible.
Exactly! It was funny, because we already knew there were some issue (and the issues are still present). But his overblown "Ay man, I know much more. Super broken, OMFG... MS am dead" super-leaks were funny as hell.

IvorB

And now that the man is down we have a selection of individuals lining up to get the boot in. Human nature never fails.

kmax

I thought I'd chip in.

First of all, I'd like to send my condolences to Col Rodgers, I wish him and his family all the good fortune in the world. This should never have happened, and I'm glad that GAF has taken a firm stance on this issue so that it is perfectly clear that these kinds of slanderous statements will never be accepted. Not only do they set a dangerous predicament for the people accused in question, but they most often than not are entirely false. No man or woman should ever have to explain anything regarding their private matters. Sure, it's only natural to want to know the reasons for departures and what not, as most people are genuinely curious, but that doesn't justify the fact that we need to know anything. All that is relevant is the fact that people are either present or have departed. That's it; beyond that is none of our business. There could be a wide array of reasons for a person to leave a project or a company. Some are for professional reasons, others are, as in this case, for private matters. If you for whatever reason want to leak something, make sure that you definitely don't slander a person, and be very careful and considerate when making claims that you feel have substance. The onus is ultimately on you to back up, and if you can't do that, then it's better to not say anything at all. Your word is only as good as it proves to be, in the end.

Don't feel discouraged to post rumors, but please, be considerate, especially when it comes to other people.

Bundy

Banned
And now that the man is down we have a selection of individuals lining up to get the boot in. Human nature never fails.
Yeah, because this is now the first time I've said that about these so called "insiders" like thuyway & Co.
This shit was getting ridiculous in the last months.

Oh, so you're suggesting he hadn't actually heard Col was fired, he just needed a reason because he wanted to combat every noted departure? Could be, that'd be really unfortunate though.
No. I think he just wrote what he heard and didn't think of the consequences of his info being wrong. I'm guessing he saw Col as just another developer and not a person. Had he humanized the situation, he would have made a different choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom