• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UC4 Game Director Justin Richmond Leaves ND (And famousmortimer leaves GAF #1393)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pa22word

What's the difference between a "trained" and "untrained" insider, exactly?

I see it as if the person is like, "yo my bro mike wicks over at gamesrock says super fighter 3 is coming out in october, BUT DONT TELL ANYONE"...while posting it on the front page of gaf >_>

Trained is more like cboat.

prwxv3

-PS Meeting line-up: Cerny, DriveClub, Killzone, Infamous
-R&C Into the Nexus
-R&C Into the Nexus PS3 only
-DriveClub getting delayed
-Going against all other insiders and insisting PS4 won't release in October
-Some things related to VR I think

Just from the top of my head. I'm sure there is more.

He also leaked the insmoniac bretraylaton

What's the difference between a "trained" and "untrained" insider, exactly?

i think its just being aware of the influence your posts can have as an insider, especially when certain websites write articles based off neogaf posts and twitter.

Doing some very basic fact checking, not calling someone incompetent when you dont know if thats the reason they left/were fired.

Nicktendo86

-R&C Into the Nexus

Thanks, appreciate it.

ironcreed

Banned
I see it as if the person is like, "yo my bro mike wicks over at gamesrock says super fighter 3 is coming out in october, BUT DONT TELL ANYONE"...while posting it on the front page of gaf >_>

Trained is more like cboat.

Not really. Cboat has been leaking bullshit as well lately.

Xbox One ass storm at launch? Never happened.

Titanfall resolution? Wrong again.

-R&C Into the Nexus

He also correctly predicted/leaked the news that Sony will release new Vita model, about the 64 GB card, and about the sort of a re-launch for the PS Vita in early 2014, i think.

Lynn616

Why did this information need to be divulged? Why was it so important that Rodgers needed to be thrown under the bus?

Because people were wrong on the internet! They were saying bad things about a giant corporation and that needed to be addressed, even at the expense of throwing high ranking employees under the bus.

That is what really pissed me off about the whole thing.

Thanks, I missed that.

entremet

I just keep thinking 'If only Mort had done the most basic fact-check of contacting Col Rogers to confirm what he was writing was true.' all of this could have been avoided.

Still, that's the difference between actual news journos and twitter/forum writers. Actual journos never allow themselves to become the story.

Well Col mentioned that he's taking care of his son right now. I doubt responding to stuff like that is high on his priority list.

I can see why he did in hindsight as his personal reputation is on the line.

stewy

i think its just being aware of the influence your posts can have as an insider, especially when certain websites write articles based off neogaf posts and twitter.

Doing some very basic fact checking, not calling someone incompetent when you dont know if thats the reason they left/were fired.

Yeah. I was more referencing where the advice came from. I seem to remember an article on Kotaku with an unfair, sensationalist headline that caused a bit of a flap recently.

I think people are missing the point about Mort here. It's not whether he's even right or wrong about stuff, or started a movement; it's about him buying into his own hype. I remember him getting shitty that he wasn't credited on some sites for the DriveClub news as if he was the only way that information got out. It got worse when journalists started quoting him as some kind of insider (and I hope they fucking learned their lesson here too). He started positioning himself as a personality and then needed to keep fuelling that. His desire to be someone was ultimately his undoing. He'll have to reflect long and hard on that. He's basically lost everything that's important to him bar his wife. I think a lot of people could also learn life lessons from this sordid affair.

Yup.

Insiders can make mistakes, the main issue I have with Thuway is that most of the time it just plain looks like Sony PR, then he gives information about MS (specifically MS, not third party games on XB1) like the OS issues pre-launch that turned out to be incredibly incorrect and that reduces his credibility. He can like who he wants but when you align yourself so much with one side then give information on the otherside which is incorrect, questions your entire credibility.

Yeah, I really don't have any issues with insiders being wrong from time to time (totally understandable). I just don't really care for insiders that have a clear (or unclear) heavy bias or agenda. It's one thing to just straight up disseminate facts and hearsay (which would be preferable). But it gets a little ridiculous when everything one says is pro-one side and anti-the other side (it also doesn't help if that person is generally really off on the anti-side rumors). It's especially damaging when this stuff gets pick up by the mainstream press (which it has and does, especially the negative stuff).

I generally find the positive stuff (for either side) a lot more fun to read, anyway.

If you're gonna be biased, fine: Just stick to what you know, especially if it's more related to one company. And please be a bit realistic and honest with what you're doing. Step back from what you type before you send it out to the internet and think about what kind of effects what you're typing might have on the industry or even individual people. Obviously saying stuff about individuals should be frowned upon (for obvious reasons, i.e. Col). But spreading FUD isn't all that great of a thing to do, either (and can indirectly affect people's livelihood, too).

I know I'm kind of pointing out Thuway specifically here (although I'm not saying it). And I don't mean to really just pick on him. If there was someone doing it on the MS side of things (spreading FUD about Sony (that is mostly untrue) and only spreading positive news about MS), I would be equally annoyed by it.

Thuway: you seem like a nice guy doing good work in this world. I just think you get a little carried away sometimes, and get engulfed by it all. I'm sure you've learned a great deal from this, so I hope you use that going forward.

Honestly, though there is obviously an important lesson to be learned about when it is and isn't appropriate to post insider (or "insider" if you prefer) information, I feel like some of the conclusions being drawn miss the forest for the trees in terms of understanding what the actual concerns are with these mythical figures. In terms of the "I have managed to procure information that isn't known by the general public and I want to share it, what do I do?" question, Nirolak covered that pretty well earlier in the thread:

I included that in its entirety because I think it's worth reading if you haven't already if you're perhaps confused that we are now encouraging people to grab their pitchforks and chase out all insiders. We aren't.

Honestly -- from my perspective -- the problems with this episode started even before Col Rodgers registered here and explained the unfortunate circumstances surrounding his son's health that necessitated his departure (that he should have never had to clarify to begin with). Let's for the sake of argument assume that the information in mortimer's post was rock solid. Col got the boot because he couldn't competently manage the project (again, I'm playing devil's advocate as that clearly wasn't the case). Why did this information need to be divulged? Why was it so important that Rodgers needed to be thrown under the bus?

I think examining this question leads to my biggest concern about the reliability of this type of information. Was there hyperbole worth addressing in regards to analysis about the changes going on at Sony's studios? Sure. But an eagerness to compile quickly a list of unverified facts to appear as the only sane person in an insane world of know-nothings who are spreading FUD about a game company -- all while spreading FUD about people involved with that company -- is extremely problematic. There were some truths in his post. But he vastly overplayed his hand. And why? Because people were wrong on the internet! They were saying bad things about a giant corporation and that needed to be addressed, even at the expense of throwing high ranking employees under the bus.

Sometimes, there is general confusion out there because people just don't have enough information to draw the right conclusions. It's understandable when someone who has that information wants to share it. I'm not a cynical person that thinks that every person who posts insider information is starved for attention and wants to be an internet superstar. I'm sure most of the time it's simply the case that they think they're being helpful. But in circumstances like this, it's important to consider are you really being helpful? What good are you really accomplishing with what you're about to share?

This is a great post. Verbalizes a lot of what I've been wanting and trying to express. Thank you.

pa22word

Not really. Cboat has been leaking bullshit as well lately.

Xbox One ass storm at launch? Never happened.

Titanfall resolution? Wrong again.

Your "bullshit" is something that most likely was true or he heard it was true from a friend who he trusted, but was probably changed.

Which is why it was ludicrous that he was banned for it. He stuck his neck out for us and we took a piss on him for it. I wouldn't blame the guy, or other insiders for that matter, if they stopped posting here entirely because the precedent has been set that you can lose your right to be a part of the community over something like being incorrect on the pixel count of a game by like 2 fucking percent based on what you were told/heard.

The ass-storm in particular is a stupid ass thing to be pissed at him for, because if he knew it was bullshit, higher ups did too, and probably decided after the 180 it wasn't worth the pr and canned it.

Seik

Banned
Whoa, lots of things happened here. :/

First, Col_Rodgers, a lot of terrible shit is happening to you and the last thing you needed was having false rumors spreading about you. I wish only the best for both you and your son. Stories of children having diseases like that literally breaks my heart and all those things Pete said, when compared to your real story, is infuriating. The most frustrating thing in all of this is that you had to come out here yourself to explain your story and clear your name while you clearly have better, most important things to do, that's terrible.

I had respect for Pete since the whole DRM drama, but now it's all gone. That's a pretty well deserved ban for such a low blow. Leaks can stay leaks without going into people's personal lives. What happened here is a pretty good example of how ugly things can go.

Whatever, I think I made my point clear, while it must have been said many times in this gigantic thread already, I wanted to give my two cents because man, while Neogaf can be an awesome forum, sometimes we can be witnesses of some terrible stuff when some insiders thinks it for the greater good to go too far.

Godspeed, Col, you and your son must be strong, I'm pretty sure both of you already are though. My thoughts are with you.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Lots of reasons. For one, not every game developer supports the PR-driven announcement schedules and "we're not talking about that yet"s that plague big gaming companies. Lots of people would like to see the video game industry become more open and less secretive.

I know journalists want this. And I know a certain segment of gamers want this. But I'm not sure why developers would want this, if the end result is that their failures or rough periods or career slumps become SEO-supported accepted truths, rising to the top of their individual Google results for the rest of time.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/211139/Irrational_Games_journalism_and_airing_dirty_laundry.php

StuBurns

Banned
Your "bullshit" is something that most likely was true or he heard it was true from a friend who he trusted, but was probably changed.

Which is why it was ludicrous that he was banned for it. He stuck his neck out for us and we took a piss on him for it. I wouldn't blame the guy, or other insiders for that matter, if they stopped posting here entirely because the precedent has been set that you can lose your right to be a part of the community over something like being incorrect on the pixel count of a game by like 2 fucking percent based on what you were told.

The ass-storm in particular is a stupid ass thing to be pissed at him for, because if he knew it was bullshit, higher ups did too, and probably decided after the 180 it wasn't worth the pr and canned it.
At some point it becomes destructive to a company or product.

I think people can overestimate GAF's influence, but it's not nothing, and poisoning the well on here could really hurt a product.

GAF's mods have a responsibility to limiting that kind of thing, and they warned Cboat not to post the rumor, it was his decision, and he's not banned for life or anything.

prwxv3

I hope everyone can learn from this. I remember speculation in the Amy that that used a retweet by Amy to imply that Mitch Dyer's story was correct. When it was a retweet to get people to know about a fundraiser to help a guy that has cancer.

ironcreed

Banned

Which is why it was ludicrous that he was banned for it. He stuck his neck out for us and we took a piss on him for it. I wouldn't blame the guy, or other insiders for that matter, if they stopped posting here entirely because the precedent has been set that you can lose your right to be a part of the community over something like being incorrect on the pixel count of a game by like 2 fucking percent based on what you were told/heard.

Sorry, I take no pity on those who leak flimsy evidence based on nothing but, "I know someone who whispered secrets in my ear." As I said earlier, it often times results in nothing but pure FUD and creates shit storms at best or damaging situations like this at worst. Getting some inside scoop is not worth spreading false info and causing damage to those in the industry. But if you choose to light that fire, don't whine once you get burned by it.

The DRM movement was free PR. nothing more, nothing less. The same websites claiming sony would have DRM probably reported that it would have 4gb ram, right?

The price point is the only one where they could adjust it (going lower) after hearing what MS would announce. However, they priced it higher than expected and the PS4 didnt have to drop any lower than the original price point.

Just got around to seeing this. Loving the truthfacts!

maxiell

This is all quite the sad story. Accountability is a great thing to have on NeoGaf. If this board applied the same standard of scrutiny to world affairs as it does to media coverage of video games, there would be eternal peace/bannings.

GAF's mods have a responsibility to limiting that kind of thing, and they warned Cboat not to post the rumor, it was his decision, and he's not banned for life or anything.

My issue with CBOAT is that his ban was only 3 days, I dont feel the punishment fit the crime.
To suggest a perm would have been on the opposite side of the scale too far, but considering you have people like Statham getting two week ban for his post about Thuway - one that was clearly in jest and being told "dont fan the flames" (His words on twitter for the ban, not my speculation) seems disproportionate to CBOAT basically doubling down on what we pretty much already knew was factually incorrect.

The basis I believe has been mentioned before of an insider is not: 'they know what they're saying is 100% factually correct', but more that the person is 'in a position to likely know the information they're reporting'
And based on the second bit you can see the difference between someone like CBOAT who is seemingly (speculation) very close to what is going down at MS vs Mortimer who just knows some people and seemingly the fame went to his head.

I dont want to sound like im backseat modding, just discussing the differences.

My issue with CBOAT is that his ban was only 3 days, I dont feel the punishment fit the crime.
To suggest a perm would have been on the opposite side of the scale too far, but considering you have people like Statham getting two week ban for his post about Thuway - one that was clearly in jest and being told "dont fan the flames" (His words on twitter for the ban, not my speculation) seems disproportionate to CBOAT basically doubling down on what we pretty much already knew was factually incorrect.

The basis I believe has been mentioned before of an insider is not: 'they know what they're saying is 100% factually correct', but more that the person is 'in a position to likely know the information they're reporting'
And based on the second bit you can see the difference between someone like CBOAT who is seemingly (speculation) very closewhat is going down at MS vs Mortimer who just knows some people and seemingly the fame went to his head.

I dont want to sound like im backseat modding, just discussing the differences.

What's his twitter ? I like that guy , I'm sure he will get over the ban

Lynn616

Big problem with the "I was right but it changed" defense. It means "insiders" can say anything they like with no consequences.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Honestly -- from my perspective -- the problems with this episode started even before Col Rodgers registered here and explained the unfortunate circumstances surrounding his son's health that necessitated his departure (that he should have never had to clarify to begin with). Let's for the sake of argument assume that the information in mortimer's post was rock solid. Col got the boot because he couldn't competently manage the project (again, I'm playing devil's advocate as that clearly wasn't the case). Why did this information need to be divulged? Why was it so important that Rodgers needed to be thrown under the bus?

That is true. In this context it is important to recognize that none of us (or only very few) came to that realization after reading Pete's post. Consequently, most of us probably would not have realized this if they had been in Pete's position and had heard gossip about that story. The digging into people's lives has always been awkward in these threads, but I guess that most have not realized the real-world implications that all this can snowball into.

Ridesh

Banned
Well, that was interesting. To be frank though, Thuway tends to be wrong about things in a way that makes his favourite company look really good too often for him to have any credibility. The recent ps4 memory allocation fiasco being a good example.

That Eurogamer thread was awful. God-awful in retrospective.

Everyone shitting on Leadbetter for being a sega fanboy (wtf) because he said something, that ended being truth, that sony-gaf didn't want to hear.

ironcreed

Banned
Big problem with the "I was right but it changed" defense. It means "insiders" can say anything they like with no consequences.

Precisely. You can't just create a landslide and then shrug it off after the damage is done once it turns out that it was wrong all along. "Oh well, it's just the nature of the beast. Sorry!" Give me a break, man.

But insiders have to deal with this. What's happening in this thread. Big publications like IGN and the lots do the same thing but they don't get this much mud thrown at them. It's not fair. Regardless if an insider is wrong, they get the honor of being wrong. However being ridiculed endlessly over something so small verses other big names that can just do it every day of the week is ridiculous.

That Eurogamer thread was awful. God-awful in retrospective.

Everyone shitting on Leadbetter for being a sega fanboy (wtf) because he said something, that ended being truth, that sony-gaf didn't want to hear.

Did Sony come out and actually say what the memory allocation was? Is it on the spec sheet of the PS4?

Chobel

Well, that was interesting. To be frank though, Thuway tends to be wrong about things in a way that makes his favourite company look really good too often for him to have any credibility. The recent ps4 memory allocation fiasco being a good example.

In that thread thuway, verendus, kagari and another guy (approved by bish) said that the DF article is wrong.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I always agreed with what TotalBiscuit said about mort's involvement in the "No DRM" thing. That stunt campaign didn't "do" anything except create a lot of good PR leading into the E3 conference. Mort and those guys were getting a little too self-righteous about how much affect they had on that. If that's one of the reasons GAF doesn't like TB, then I think some people need perspective, he was right to call it out.

But insiders have to deal with this. What's happening in this thread. Big publications like IGN and the lots do the same thing but they don't get this much mud thrown at them. It's not fair. Regardless if an insider is wrong, they get the honor of being wrong. However being ridiculed endlessly over something so small verses other big names that can just do it every day of the week is ridiculous.

Big sites have editors have plenty of people to look at a rumour and decide if its legit or not and whether they should consider publishing that information or not.

The insiders in this case are just people on a forum. I think when you have something like the post Mort made which ended up getting him in trouble was that really based on who he is and the way he presents himself was that people reading it are likely to consider more than speculation. He went out on a limb and didnt clarify it.

pa22word

At some point it becomes destructive to a company or product.

That's kind of irrelevant. He's putting the information he knows out there, and it's on us what we do with that information. For the record though, I don't see how undershooting the vertical resolution by 50 pixels or whatever damages the product at all. Especially given that the beta was out and people could clearly see that there was a discrepancy between what he was saying and what actually was. For all we know they could have been targeting 720p60 throughout the development, and that got misconstrued to him as "it's 720p", before it got bumped during optimization late in development. There's a thousand and one different possible reasons for the discrepancy, and banning him for the information turning up wrong is completely ridiculous. It's like putting a cat down because he meows too much. His function here is to leak things. To ban him for leaking something that ended up being incorrect, and probably because it was changed after the fact is just mind boggling to me. I mean ffs guys this is a classic example of wanting your cake and eating it too. Stuff changes, information may have been relayed incorrectly, someone might have had an agenda, intentional misinformation, etc. happens. It comes with the territory of leaks. Nature of the beast, and you can't have it both ways. Either gaf needs to ban leaks and formally request them not to be made under any circumstances or they shouldn't ban people because they happened to be wrong about something. Period.

For the record (because I know someone's going to bring it up), I consider mort's ban to be fine considering it was seemingly made in response to him seemingly being a shithead after the fact he was proven incorrect, and especially because of how he was proven to be incorrect. If he had just apologized and promised to be less of a condescending asshole about his information ("look at me i'm so special because i know somebody who knows somebody who works on games!", ugh") I would have been fire with letting him off the hook completely.

StuBurns

Banned
His function here is to leak things. To ban him for leaking something that ended up being incorrect, and probably because it was changed after the fact is just mind boggling to me.
But that's not what happened at all.

He said it after we knew it was 792p or whatever.

I also believe he said it wouldn't use XBO's party chat system the day we saw video of it working with the new XBO party chat system.

Seik

Banned
I just checked up Pete's Twitter, at least the man seems to be acknowledging his mistakes and seems to not be feeling well about it at all.

Funny thing is that the first answer he got toward his apologies was concerning his GAF account, which he obviously doesn't give a fuck about. I wouldn't either after fucking up so badly, tbh.

pa22word

He said it after we knew it was 792p or whatever.

I also believe he said it wouldn't use XBO's party chat system the day we saw video of it working with the new XBO party chat system.

Neither of those change what I said at all, really. The point's still the same, and in fact I even addressed that sort of scenario in that post.

holy shit did you just make a ytmnd?! it's like seeing a new dodo bird being born *wipes tear away*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom