• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Believe it or not, Cruis'n is owned by Nintendo. What direction should they take it?

iuN6e6ZydaP46.jpg

Yep, right there in black and white in the copyright section.

This is an IP that was mainly created for arcades (was this Nintendo's last original arcade IP?) but Midway took most of the control of it somehow, I guess Nintendo were cool with it.

Funny enough that the creators I believe formed Raw Thrills and created the Fast & Furious arcade games which literally look like the successor to Cruis'n.

Also funny that Cruis'n Wii was just that, I believe a Wii version of the first F&F game they did without the license, but the port was horrid (where do you think the Car Vault meme came from?).

But the later entries in the arcade while not pushing graphical boundaries, I think Nintendo should get someone, Raw Thrills or an external dev to do that same thing but RIGHT this time.

The last one was Fast & Furious: SuperCars:

ibaIv1ubrqcpSF.jpg

The game runs in 1080p and 60fps IIRC. I think a Wii U port would work well. Now should it be retail? I think it'd make a neat budget release personally ($20).

Aside from the usual "but it's not Mario or Zelda", I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't touched the IP.

The other thing they could do is totally reinvent it as a crazy arcade racer, and who better to do that than *drumroll*...

mgi.jpg

A reboot of Cruis'n from the creators of Excite Truck, on Wii U. Why is this not a thing now?

Edit: Fixed the box if people were having trouble, also shrank the file size.

ALM5252

They should try to get the Cruis'n games to play similar to Burnout. Maybe like Burnout 1 (my favorite because of how arcade it is)

Honestly, I think the game design, as is, is pretty much antiquated. It's less a racing game, more a sort of time trial thing, iirc.

I'm not how to make the game formula any better without basically making it a different game entirely.

And of course I just realized I made an uber typo, it should be either "Where should they take it?" or "What direction should they take it?". Had both in mind, put them together accidentally. XD

I am SO on-board for a Monster Update. I loved the original Crusin' USA, and I really dug MonsterTrucks/Bots. I think Monster could do some VERY cool things with it

I loved Excite Trucks, but wasn't Excite Bots terrible?

Uh, no? It sold terribly, granted, but it was amazeballs. It took everything ExciteTruck did and ramped it up to 11. I dug it

Elija2

I loved Excite Trucks, but wasn't Excite Bots terrible?

Nah, Excite Bots added a couple of weird gimmicks to the racing but it was still a really fun game.

I don't care if it's a Cruis'n or Excite game, I just want Monster Games to make another arcade racing game.

Nah, Excite Bots added a couple of weird gimmicks to the racing but it was still a really fun game.

I don't care if it's a Cruis'n or Excite game, I just want Monster Games to make another arcade racing game.

To me the zaniness was too much, it took it away from it being a pure bred arcade racer that's simple like the original. Also racing with Trucks felt more true to life than transforming animal robots, as Beast Wars it sounds and that show is GOAT.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I just want a true HD remake of the original Cruis'n USA arcade game, is that too much to ask?

Sometimes I think how cool it would be if Nintendo brought this franchise back for the next generation..then I realize theyd undoubtedly fuck it up beyond all recognition.

I just want a true HD remake of the original Cruis'n USA arcade game, is that too much to ask?

Sometimes I think how cool it would be if Nintendo brought this franchise back for the next generation..then I realize theyd undoubtedly fuck it up beyond all recognition.

What on Earth makes you think that?

To me the zaniness was too much, it took it away from it being a pure bred arcade racer that's simple like the original.

But the original was about as far away from a pure-bred arcade racer as you can get :p Hell, racing wasn't even the core mechanic--it didn't even matter if you got 1st so long as you did enough stunts.

ExciteBots just ran with that concept.

Vandole

Man I would love a new Crusin' game. Crusin' World was a fixture in my N64. Just keep it similar and I'm all over it.

And ExciteBots was fun. It had a multiplayer mode called Poker I think where you raced while trying to get better cards on the track to improve your hand. Strange idea but it was a lot of fun.

GamerJM

Banned
The salt would be unbelievable

As a fan of F-Zero and someone who doesn't really care about Crusin' or Monster Games, I'd be fine with it. I think Monster Games would be a good fit for Crusin' but I don't know about F-Zero. For F-Zero Nintendo needs Amusement Vision again.

can we get Crusin' USA / World / Exotica on Wii u vc then?

first N64 games on there plus the intro for Crusin' games are the best

CRUSINNNNNNNN ITS CRAZY BABY, WHOA WHOA Ohhhhh

I've always had a soft spot for the series. Raw Thrills' Cruis'n game on Wii (ie; 2004's Fast and the Furious arcade machine) felt more like San Francisco Rush than anything, which... I'm certainly not complaining, but the original Cruis'n games definitely had their own style.

Doesn't really help that the Wii port was really bad. I think the fact that the game had to pause for a few seconds every time the music looped was the worst part, aside from awful Wii Remote tilting controls.

I'd love to see arcade perfect ports of Cruis'n USA, World and Exotica more than anything. Slap 'em on a compilation disc for Wii U and there you go.

I can dream. ;´∩`;

Toad.T

Banned
As long as I can run over poorly digitised bonsai trees while driving to bizarre Euro-Pop, I don't care where you take the series.

~YOU GOT THE SPEED, YOU GOT THE POWA. TO CRUUUUUIIIIISSSSEEE THE WORLD!~ *Funky synth riff*

Kid Ying

I miss that series. One of the first things i did when i bought the Wii was to buy cruisn usa. Really awesome game. I miss that series much more than f-zero. If nintendo did a true revival like the last outrun, wiiu would be saved in my heart.

N64 nintendo was the best nintendo to this day.

MisterHero

Nintendo should make NetherRealm exclusive and get them to make the real sequels to Blitz and NBA Jam. Also, new Gauntlet and Rush 2049.

Kid Ying

Now thats a game that didnt need a comeback. Jam was fun for its time, but today its just bogus. Maybe with a good online. I never player the last version made by ea, but i guess it bombed.

To me, bringing jam right now its the same as bringing Charles Barkley shut up and jam or something.

Also, nintendo probably still has the license for NBA courtside. In these times where they have no support from da, they should try and make a quick cash on it. Nobody would buy it though. Its just wishful nostalgia.

Nintendo should make NetherRealm exclusive and get them to make the real sequels to Blitz and NBA Jam. Also, new Gauntlet and Rush 2049.

NetherRealm doesn't own any of those IPs and likely isn't for sale.

As for Cruisin', I don't think the series has any real cache. The games were never good. It's like wanting a new War Gods.

Brofield

I think the arcade racing genre is just lying in wait to have a renaissance. The 90's Arcade Racer whenever that releases on eShop I think will tell alot if people are looking forward to that sort of experience at a reasonable price entry point.

At which point, I would love to see Monster Games come back to take on Cruis'n, add in what they can, and bring back the feature to play music off SD cards like in ExciteTruck (I still don't know why they took that out for ExciteBots)

Don't toy with my heart like that.

WillyFive

I love that series, it deserved better than that thing Midway put out on Wii.

It would be funny if Nintendo reintroduced it as a racing sim meant to compete with GT and Forza, but Nintendo doesn't really understand what it is to compete with other game systems.

Kid Ying

I wish they dont do something like that. A racing sim is the exact opposite of what cruisn represents. Might as well make a new IP if they plan to do something like that.

I dont even think theres much space for anothe racing sim. Nintendo should work on other stuff. I miss some good racing games on the wiiu though.

Petrae

No Mark Turmell, no sale on Jam/Blitz remakes.

I'd sure love to see an NHL Hitz or Open Ice revival, but that's never happening.

MisterHero

NetherRealm doesn't own any of those IPs and likely isn't for sale.
To be honest I don't know what WB owns of Old Midway except for Mortal Kombat.

Give EA or whoever owns them a chunk of money. Let EA make serious annual games, we can have the good stuff!

steveovig

I didn't realize they owned it, that's pretty neat.

On a sidenote, a couple months ago I picked up Cruis'n, after years of wanting it (seriously, I like Arcade games). Played it and beat it quickly. It was pretty bad but not the worst game ever or anything. I forgot how cheap Midway games were.

eggwolio

1. I really liked the updated NBA Jam from awhile back.

2. I would love to see a Cruis'n game in the vein of Forza Horizon. That game grabbed me like no racer has since the first Cruis'n.

I always thought that this was from one of those iPhone asphalt games o_0
Those games look better than this.

Crusin' needs to stay where it is, in the past. That kind of racing game died in the 90s and they can't top Need for Speed if they tried to take it down that road.

F-Zero is the only other non-Mario Kart racing game that Nintendo should focus on.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I'd be happy with arcade perfect ports of the trilogy on the Wii U and an arcade perfect port of Super Cars, regardless of console.

As for a developer, hm... how about hiring the '90s Arcade Racer guy and let him lead the project? His game is hitting the Wii U, isn't it?

Ryaaan14

Banned
At first I was like "kill it" but yeah a crazy overexaggerated 90's nostalgia style would work quite well for it.

Top Bottom