• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Nelson interview with Phil Spencer

big_z

I want full details on the Xbox hardware. Misterxmedia is limping after GDC, now lets put him out of his misery.

Well, we're guaranteed to hear some TV stuff. Remember Quantum Break is supposed to be tied to TV style stuff. Then there's the Halo TV show, etc. So we're not done with TV. Not by a long show.

But as long as games is the focus, we're good.

TV related to games. They'll likely show a small clip next to halo5.

Both boxes are multimedia hubs. People expecting a 100% pure gaming experience are fooling themselves. The multimedia announcements should be left to non-gaming events but its not going away.

ironcreed

Banned
I'll say it again, Satya Nadella is the best thing to happen to Microsoft in the last five years, easy.

Give me this:

Satya-Nadella-Latest-HD-Images.jpg

phil_spencer_xbox_one.0_cinema_1280.0-349x240.jpg

over this:

16fae647-a699-45c2-8b32-9b4d347245e3_ballmer-developers-o.gif

Xbox-One-Mattrick-620x350.jpg

any day. Things are already looking up.

I still don't like Major Nelson. He still comes off as only a company man; not as an actual human being that cares about games.

I disagree with that. From following him on Twitter he's having game nights with other people from the Xbox division several nights a week whether it be in Battlefield, Plants vs. Zombies or Titanfall.

He's also typically playing games a few days ahead of their release dates so I'd say he has much more than just a passing interest.

Chettlar

Banned
I want full details on the Xbox hardware. Misterxmedia is limping after GDC, now lets put him out of his misery.

TV related to games. They'll likely show a small clip next to halo5.

Both boxes are multimedia hubs. People expecting a 100% pure gaming experience are fooling themselves. The multimedia announcements should be left to non-gaming events but its not going away.

Eh, I think it's ok if done right. Cool concept.

As long as there's plenty of core gaming related stuff I'm fine with it.

This is clearly speaking to fans...probably why I'm not feeling it, seems kinda forced but could be I have my blinders on. Good change of pr in any case, but I'm going all japan this gen unless ms really have the next breakthrough experience exclusively on the platform which I have my doubts about.

E92 M3

Ehh, I mean, pretty much anybody with a school email address can apply, or somebody who has their email payed by their parents or something, so you're bound to get some people that may not have quite the posting quality of others. Some not even close. That's what the whole Junior thing is for, to encourage people to not take their posting lightly so they can become full members of the forum, as well as to weed off some of the trolls and things.

Doesn't stop us from getting some pretty bad posts. I've made a few I'm pretty ashamed of. Just how it goes. NeoGAF's baseline posting is still leagues above many other forums though, especially due to it's policies.

That's true the baseline is leagues above many other places on the internet. Time to listen to the interview.

I enjoyed the interview. I appreciate the honesty about mistakes being made. The core focus should always be about the games. I went into this generation with an XBOX in mind but after the DRM garbage switched to a PS4. I have no intention of purchasing an XBOX but if they can truly show me at E3 that the XBOX One is a game machine first. I would reconsider.
In the same boat, but I'm looking at wiiu as my second console before x1, they are really too similar this gen IMO, and the early blunders made it a clear choice. Plus I don't think I'm gonna pay for online for 2 machines and ninty Mario kart is making me wanna impulse that ish!

Naminator

Banned
Got to admit this NSA Box is really really funny.

Guy I didn't want to start a conversation about all the Micro and NSA stuff and just want to say i dont want to throw money at them because everyone knows about their policies.

It is really different to hack or use illegal activities to get your data or a company just open every single bit for you to get, what Micro did. USA founds those companys, to keep the monopoly up.

The reasoning " I dont care who watches me and collect my data" is just dump sorry. People who say stuff like that really dont care , that their humans rights ( USA should be big in this) is completely ignored. And do you care if I upload a clip where you bang your gf )
All these datas have a huge potential for hackers, economy and so on. There is no reasoning behind NSA policies, just none. It is just about controlling people and selling datas. Americans are a bit ignorant in that matter i guess, because media is more controlled over there. Anybodys who says he got nothing to hide is just lying ,sorry. (Privacy? Body? Datas? )

Microsoft was the biggest donator and i really dont trust them. Furthmore it is alot easier to protect your PC than your Xbox. I dont want so say other companies are not doing the same, but we know for sure Microsoft is the heart of all of that. Google complained massively about hackings, and sued.

I am not saying the ONE is a bad console. It got good games and they can invest heavily. I am just saying i dont want to support a company with the perfect spy bot ( just look at their scary add patents). Well that was a little bit offtopic, so lets not stretch it further.

Phil Spencer is a good guy, but Larry just seems a bit arrogant or cocky in front of a camera to me,sorry.

I can hear you.
Why_I_love_Sniper_Elite_V2_Because_I_can_shoot.gif

I have to say I never met you personally, so i shouldn't claim you are.
I am just saying that from all the videos and interviews I watched I think your just seem like a person that is a little bit arrogant and cocky. I might be wrong, because, as I said, i never met you personally. Maybe it is because you are nervous or insecure in front of a camera and then you just overreact ;)

I apologize for my hard words and that i shouldnt judge you.
I just have used better words for my expression.

PS: That was a really funny post :D I am dead right now :D

I wont take back what I said about Micosoft policy, but what I said about Larry was not fair and not right. There are too different things. I am not backtracking what I said about the NSA thing including Microsoft.

Yes i didnt think about my post and that a real person is behind it in that instance. ( Problem of the internet, but I think an apology is a good thing. And no, I wouldn't do to that to get not banned from Gaf and i bet Larry would not enjoy it either. And isnt claiming such a thing inflammatory too (to me )?

I think that GIF sums it up pretty nicely. xD

lingpanda

In the same boat, but I'm looking at wiiu as my second console before x1, they are really too similar this gen IMO, and the early blunders made it a clear choice. Plus I don't think I'm gonna pay for online for 2 machines and ninty Mario kart is making me wanna impulse that ish!
I currently have a Wii U as well and I'm fortunate enough to have the means to purchase all three if wanted. I want an XBOX for Kinect. Now that might sound odd here on Gaf but it's my reason. Fingers crossed this E3 Microsoft sways me back.

I still don't like Major Nelson. He still comes off as only a company man; not as an actual human being that cares about games.

If he didn't care about games, he wouldn't last that long on this job. Over the years, so many Microsoft (and Sony, and Nintendo) people have come and gone, but Major remains one of the very few constants. A person with his resume could've found a position that is better paid and better suited to his interests ages ago, if he really didn't care about what he's doing. Yet he's here, talking to you.

For those waiting the podcast is now posted FF to 16:17 if you want to go right to the Phil Interview - which is about 32 minutes long.

Thank you, it'll be a good way to start the weekend.

I have been and will stay a PlayStation guy through and through. Didn't like Xbox in terms of their money balling and arrogance. But boy, ever since Satya is in charge this is like a new Microsoft. So much good stuff happning. So much openness out of a sudden. Just through the last days at Build they have announced so many open source inatiatives and have given so much insight into their plans for the future, like never before.

Now they put the only guy at Xbox who has a clue in charge of the entire Xbox division. I say BRAVO. They are getting their shit together it seems.

Hey people.....these things have been happening under the radar for years. This doesn't just spring up overnight and all of a sudden BOOM new CEO and everything shifts.

Fezan

Ok just watched the interview and i am really glad what i am hearing. Looks like phil is the best person to lead Xbox division.

"games games games. Games. Games games? games games. Games, games game game? Games. Gamers game, gamey gamer gameyson gamed."
- Phil Spencer

Vormund

Pity he wasn't in charge while the Xbox one was taking shape.

And he probably was pulling his hair out at the decisions Mattrick was pushing.

Estocolmo

If only he had to job back in 2008. Xbox would be an amazing place right now and 360 would have probably been better with exclusives at the end. Sigh.

I think the kinect/media/family/sport time was a necessary phase for Microsoft to have. At one point or another they would have this phase I think they have officially past it now.

I think the kinect/media/family/sport time was a necessary phase for Microsoft to have. At one point or another they would have this phase I think they have officially past it now.

It wasn't a phase, it was a necessary and hugely significant step in broadening the appeal of the platform. Before Kinect very few people were taking Xbox seriously as a platform that has something to offer to children, families, and the broader casual/non-gaming market; it was a nerd's toy, a shooterbox. Now its appeal is much wider, and they should not lose that advantage. However, all of that should not come at the expense of content for their traditional audience. It doesn't have to be an OR proposition, Xbox can (and should) be an AND platform.

Hahaha, oh man...

oh please, it's like you've never worked a day in your life.

Good interview for Spencer, someone said earlier that they had hit bottom and I think that's true, now for the long climb back.

I'm optimistic about Xbox again.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Phil Spencer taking notes from Sony's play book. If you say games enough, people will like you more despite carrying the same multifocused intentions.

I've no doubt this is a good move for Xbox, but I have little faith in them being able to change what is already set in stone in terms of hardware and some busted relationships with consumers, developers and markets. People will carry the always online stuff to their grave no matter the changes in management or direction.

What delighted me most about the interview is him saying that there won't be a lot of execs on stage. I've never thought about it before, but it is something I really hate about E3 conferences. I guess it helps things look professional and all.. but none of us really care, just like we don't care about performances at the end of any press conferences. Just show me the game and narrow the preamble down to the essentials. Microsoft had one E3 a few years ago where they just blitzed through like 15 games or something and that was one of my favourite E3 conferences.

driver116

Phil Spencer taking notes from Sony's play book. If you say games enough, people will like you more despite carrying the same multifocused intentions.

There was a big difference - try to spot it:

Sony:

Priority 1: Games
Priority 2: Entertainment

Microsoft:

Priority 1: Entertainment
Priority 2: Games

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Sony:

Microsoft:

Looks like it worked like a charm. The whole concept of creating priorities in marketing is incredibly powerful, as we can see above. Sony prepared a gaming echo chamber that people (the core, anyways, who matter in early adoption) gravitated to while Microsoft told people explicitly that they'd be focusing on hardware in the hardware reveal and people went batshit that they had to wait until E3.

Sony was just smart enough to know when to stop talking about media capabilities; not to purposely allocate resources/focus away from entertainment to "gaming" ammo like some weird fantasy console wars tale. Microsoft leveraging opportunities with things like NFL/TV doesn't change what both companies are trying to do with their products, especially coming off of a generation where the importance of non-gaming applications on consoles can not be understated. And both Sony and MS are not blind to this in the slightest. You can draft up whatever priority list you want or you can have PR do it for you, but it's ignorant if you believe that their goals are so indifferent when the battle to control people's living rooms and media consumption is as real as it gets, even if the means take different forms.

Looks like it worked like a charm. The whole concept of creating priorities in marketing is incredibly powerful, as we can see above. Sony prepared a gaming echo chamber that people (the core, anyways, who matter in early adoption) gravitated to while Microsoft told people explicitly that they'd be focusing on hardware in the hardware reveal and people went batshit that they had to wait until E3.

Sony was just smart enough to know when to stop talking about media capabilities; not to purposely allocate resources/focus away from entertainment to "gaming" ammo like some weird fantasy console wars tale. Microsoft leveraging opportunities with things like NFL/TV doesn't change what both companies are trying to do with their products, especially coming off of a generation where the importance of non-gaming applications on consoles can not be understated. And both Sony and MS are not blind to this in the slightest. You can draft up whatever priority list you want or you can have PR do it for you, but it's ignorant if you believe that their goals are so indifferent when the battle to control people's living rooms and media consumption is as real as it gets, even if the means take different forms.

I agree with you. I was actually pointing out last year at E3, how it was Sony that spent 10+ minutes talking about their movie service and I found it funny how they often they sprinkled in the word "gamer" as if to distract people from the fact that they spent more time talking about movies and entertainment than Microsoft did in their presentation. "We're offering movies targeted at gamers" etc. It seemed to work though because everybody remembers Sony winning that year even though I believe Microsoft actually had the stronger showing of game after game with zero movies and entertainment talk. I guess all anybody cared about was the whole "No DRM" thing.

Does nobody remember the old PS3 slogan "it only does everything"? The machine was heavily marketed as an entertainment device from the start, with a big focus on Blu ray and media capabilities. The thing even came bundled with Blu Ray movies instead of games around launch at stores around here. Many multiplatform games were also inferior to Xbox 360. Now look at where the PS3 ended up. Huge difference right? Same deal with the Xbox One. It's almost like looking into a mirror. I believe the Xbox One can turn things around even sooner than the PS3 did. It's obvious both these companies have the same intentions and the same goals.

Sony:

Microsoft:

This is the same kind of nonsense as people claiming E3 was all about TVTVTVT TVTV for Microsoft. It wasn't. I don't accept that the console with more games than its competitor is less focused on games. That doesn't compute.

Also, why are people criticising a multi focused approach? In this day and and age, you better believe you're getting more than just gaming when you shelve out. $400-500 for a console. While it's disappointing MS didn't get a beefier GPU for their box, what's done is done and we should focus on what matters the most to us - the games. Everything else like the tv functionality are added bonuses.

MS is getting its ass kicked by Sony right now. That's good, it makes then angry, it make them hungry for victory and it makes them focus on how to achieve that goal.

Rest in peace in peace ?

Can't wait for the megaton from all camps this coming E3

That's what he said, isn't it?
It's a meme.

I am way more excited by Xbox now, than I was a year ago. I would still like to see some games announced that I care about, but having said that, there's nothing announced for the PS4 I give a crap about either! I only got it for Infamous.

Either way, I am way more positive on them now.

Miles X

Sony:

Microsoft:

But which system had more exclusives at launch?? I mean internally developed high budget ones that sell en mass.

I agree with you. I was actually pointing out last year at E3, how it was Sony that spent 10+ minutes talking about their movie service and I found it funny how they often they sprinkled in the word "gamer" as if to distract people from the fact that they spent more time talking about movies and entertainment than Microsoft did in their presentation. "We're offering movies targeted at gamers" etc. It seemed to work though because everybody remembers Sony winning that year even though I believe Microsoft actually had the stronger showing of game after game with zero movies and entertainment talk. I guess all anybody cared about was the whole "No DRM" thing.

Does nobody remember the old PS3 slogan "it only does everything"? The machine was heavily marketed as an entertainment device from the start, with a big focus on Blu ray and media capabilities. The thing even came bundled with Blu Ray movies instead of games around launch at stores around here. Many multiplatform games were also inferior to Xbox 360. Now look at where the PS3 ended up. Huge difference right? Same deal with the Xbox One. It's almost like looking into a mirror. I believe the Xbox One can turn things around even sooner than the PS3 did. It's obvious both these companies have the same intentions and the same goals.

I remember it well, the PS3 blundered out of the gates as well and it took until around the release of MGS4 until they got their mojo going. However what was interesting is the system still sold rather well the first couple of years even though it bled Sony dry on the losses they took on the hardware. That shows how much better Sony is as a household brand than Microsoft for an entertainment device. Microsoft had always struggled with their Xbox brand outside of the U.S. and I'm not sure how they can turn that around.

But yeah, the PS3 was not entirely marketed as a game system first. It took Sony a couple of years to get back to that focus.

New002

This is the same kind of nonsense as people claiming E3 was all about TVTVTVT TVTV for Microsoft. It wasn't. I don't accept that the console with more games than its competitor is less focused on games. That doesn't compute.

Also, why are people criticising a multi focused approach? In this day and and age, you better believe you're getting more than just gaming when you shelve out. $400-500 for a console. While it's disappointing MS didn't get a beefier GPU for their box, what's done is done and we should focus on what matters the most to us - the games. Everything else like the tv functionality are added bonuses.

MS is getting its ass kicked by Sony right now. That's good, it makes then angry, it make them hungry for victory and it makes them focus on how to achieve that goal.

I agree completely, but I also understand where people are coming from when they say they that MS fumbled it with their marketing a bit. Hindsight is 20/20 and MS is realizing that the discussion should have always been games first, and TV/entertainment as an added bonus. MS tried to play up TV/entetianment as a key focus, and that seems to be part of what drove people away.

I personally had no problem with any it, because I always saw it like you said, Games + bonuses. I imagine they pushed TV/entertainment so hard in order to attract a wider audience, but in doing so alienated a lot of people.

Miles X

the important thing here its MASSIVE difference on first party studios on the long run,as the last two years of the xbox 360 demostrated

There is no massive difference, PS3 had an edge the latter part of last gen, no doubt about it, but it isn't by some huge margin.

MS have set up Dakota, Black Tusk, LXP, Lift London among others apparantly. Remedy is more or less first party and they're doing new IP, and MS have reiterated that Xbox at its core is games.

You need to look at why the 360 in the latter half tailed off, it's because of Kinect and the casual focus, MS didn't need to make big exclusives their audience split was down the middle. Even if MS somehow appeal to casuals this gen, it isn't going to be some new device that is going to change the roadmap and suddenly put a halt of core game production.

This is exactly like expecting the XB1 to have RROD problems before it launched, simply because 360 did (and a lot of people foolishly did.) Just because it happened once, doesn't mean it will again, and 360 having a short life just because the OG Xbox did.

But which system had more exclusives at launch?? I mean internally developed high budget ones that sell en mass.

Well, going by your criteria, let's count them up.

PS4:

Knack (SCE Japan Studio, Sony 1st Party Studio)
Killzone: Shadow Fall (Guerrilla Games, Sony 1st Party Studio)

Total: 2

Xbox One:

Killer Instinct (Double Helix Games, 3rd Party)
Dead Rising 3 (Capcom, 3rd Party)
Ryse: Son Of Rome (Crytek, 3rd Party)
Zoo Tycoon (Frontier Developments, 3rd Party)
Forza 5 (Turn 10 Studios, Microsoft 1st Party Studio)

Total: 1

Top Bottom