• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 64 Time Attack (16min)

This thread is for those who have yet to see it. Wait until you see the Bowser castle levels. They're pretty amazing. They use every glitch at their disposal but it's still pretty damn impressive.

Shiggy am cry!

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
sick, just fucking sick.

every jump is calculated to land at a specific/exact point... my god.

Borys

Banned
God I love time attacks/ speed runs.

Prime and Prime 2 has most amazing stuff - imagine going through Magmoor w/o Varia suit and 1 HP left!

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G

It took him hundreds and hundreds of tries because the stuff (health orbs) in crates you destroy is pretty random.

ant1532

Banned
my favorite game :)

I wish this was remade on gamecube(like OoT)

Well revolution, here i come

(DS version was a dream come true, now only if i had an analog stick)

Tritroid

Borys said:
God I love time attacks/ speed runs.

Prime and Prime 2 has most amazing stuff - imagine going through Magmoor w/o Varia suit and 1 HP left!

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G

It took him hundreds and hundreds of tries because the stuff (health orbs) in crates you destroy is pretty random.
You have a link to that one?

Kroole said:
That was awesome. It just reminds me how good that game is.

Yeah, it's really cool, makes me want to go play it again. The way he/she flips through the Bowser levels is insane, among others things.

BlueLegs

I'd love to see this guy go through the game getting all 120 stars.

I had no idea about that short cut to get that cave star right at the start.

snatches

=O

Seriously. Yes they exploited every glitch but that guy is good. I wonder if he really did it all in one attempt. Some of those moves are so on edge its like it couldn't be possible.

Photon

I was more impressed when I didn't realize most of these are done on emulators. Using save states to redo every move and jump until perfect isn't quite as impressive.

Photon said:
I was more impressed when I didn't realize most of these are done on emulators. Using save states to redo every move and jump until perfect isn't quite as impressive.

The video said right at the beginning it was tool-assisted. Stil very impressive, not as cool as some of the Metroid Prime stuff though, which is all played on the real console and some even single-segment.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Photon said:
Except most of these aren't done on emulators.

The only real well known speed run that was done on an emulator was the Super Mario Bros 3 10 minute speed run. Not saying there aren't speed runs done on emulators (there are tons of them), but the stuff you find at metroid2002, sda, and twingalaxies is legit, and not done on emulators.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Photon said:

Ah, I wasn't aware of that when I watched the movie. Either way, it's still impressive to watch.

snatches said:
=O

Seriously. Yes they exploited every glitch but that guy is good. I wonder if he really did it all in one attempt. Some of those moves are so on edge its like it couldn't be possible.

I read the website that's cited at the begining of the movie saying it was a "tool assisted movie". Somehow doesn't seem as impressive after reading the site.

AZ Greg

From the website FAQ:

"Are tool-assisted speedruns fake?
Fake means something that is not what it is claimed to be. A glass jewel could be a fake diamond.
The makers of tool-assisted speedruns do not claim the movies to be recordings of real-time playing ― thus they are not fake.

Are tool-assisted speedruns cheated?
Cheating has two meanings:
To deceive by trickery.
To violate rules deliberately.
Arguably, we do cheat the games. The games have been programmed assuming that the player is a human who has humanly limits. We surpass those limits with tool-assistance.

For example, there are very few humans who can produce a 30 Hz autofire by rapidly bashing the B button, but in tool-assistance, it's trivial to do that.
We also abuse many programming errors in the games.

But we don't cheat the audience. The makers of tool-assisted speedruns are very open at how they've made the movies. There certainly is no deceiving taking part. (We can't help people who just don't read.)"

It was still a good watch! :)

Teddman

So how is the final product achieved? Is there a way to edit all of the save state attempts into one long movie?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
AZYUMA86 said:
From the website FAQ:

"Are tool-assisted speedruns fake?
Fake means something that is not what it is claimed to be. A glass jewel could be a fake diamond.
The makers of tool-assisted speedruns do not claim the movies to be recordings of real-time playing ― thus they are not fake.

Are tool-assisted speedruns cheated?
Cheating has two meanings:
To deceive by trickery.
To violate rules deliberately.
Arguably, we do cheat the games. The games have been programmed assuming that the player is a human who has humanly limits. We surpass those limits with tool-assistance.

For example, there are very few humans who can produce a 30 Hz autofire by rapidly bashing the B button, but in tool-assistance, it's trivial to do that.
We also abuse many programming errors in the games.

But we don't cheat the audience. The makers of tool-assisted speedruns are very open at how they've made the movies. There certainly is no deceiving taking part. (We can't help people who just don't read.)"

It was still a good watch! :)

Semantics bullshit. If it isn't a real person playing on the original platform, it's nothing but a sham. Basically they're saying "yes, the video is real" and it certainly is a real video. What it's not is a video of a real person playing Super Mario 64 on an unmodified Nintendo 64 with a standard Nintendo controller. That's what people mean when they accuse things like this of being fakes, and semantic arguments aren't going to change the fact that in that sense, videos like this most certainly ARE fakes.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
vitaflo said:
Um, this is a tool assisted movie. The person didn't play this in realtime.
No kidding. Doesn't change the fact that it is still pretty damn cool.

Forgot what a cool game Mario 64 was but thos graphics haven't aged all that well. :(

Top Bottom