• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bonobos can now make fire from scratch and toast marshmallows. RIP Humans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valhelm

contribute something
Even though it was obviously trained, this is pretty huge news. "Fire" has traditionally been one of the arbitrary definitions of human behavior.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I got legit scared until I saw the ape pull out a box of matches. Then I felt properly superior again.

Have you started a fire without pre-made tools? I have, but it's not as easy as it seems.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
I'll admit, I was waiting to see him start rubbing sticks on on rocks and brush. Cheater!

Having said that, those primates are amazing. I watched more about Kanzi, and its pretty cool how he can interact with humans.

I would be interested to see the other way around. I'd want to see how one or two humans could go in and influence the development and social interaction of a large group of Bonobos. Straight up living with them for a couple years.

Had no idea. But thats the same Bonobo as the video in the OP.

I would be interested to see the other way around. I'd want to see how one or two humans could go in and influence the development and social interaction of a large group of Bonobos. Straight up living with them for a couple years.

Didn't Goodall do this?

Seriously though watching videos like this really make you question what is human and what rights these creatures should be given. They seem so similar to us. You can see them thinking reacting just like us. You see personality and self awareness. Its eerie

Using a match? I thought he was gonna do the whole Tom Hanks Cast Away thing.

tumblr_lxt7y6XvYk1qbvn8yo3_250.gif

That looks extremely fake.
This

This is just so obviously viral marketing or something. Notice how you never actually see the monkey light the match or skewer the marshmallow. You see hands but the camera never shows the monkey in its entirety doing the actions. That just screams fake to me

Baci

Banned
So let me get this straight then. The title of this thread is actually...

"Bonobos can now make fire and toast marshmallows after being taught by, and given tools by humans. RIP Humans"

Correct?

This

This is just so obviously viral marketing or something. Notice how you never actually see the monkey light the match or skewer the marshmallow. You see hands but the camera never shows the monkey in its entirety doing the actions. That just screams fake to me

I thought the same thing, so I posted this to a buddy of mine who studies apes. He said he actually worked with these specific bonobos and confirmed they are capable of doing this. Pretty crazy

Mr Swine

Banned
I can't wait for our supreme Bonobo overlords to rule the earth!

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*cough*

I meant this looks really cool how kanzi can make a fire like that. I wonder what more this Bonobos could do!

We killed the Neanderthals. We can kill some hippie monkeys

... I got some news for you...

I'm sure most of GAF would fail at making fire from scratch, though.

You're you kidding.

most of GAF would fail at making fire with matches and a FAQ. ;)

Having said that, those primates are amazing. I watched more about Kanzi, and its pretty cool how he can interact with humans.

Given Bonobos sex culture, being a female run society, and me being a dude I wouldn't want that task myself. :p

Wallach

If you watch the old documentary about Kanzi from like '93 some researcher tells him to dig the lighter out of her pocket and go light a fire with it, which he does no problem. This is simple shit for him. He understands pretty complex English. You should see the crazy lexigram thing they use for him to communicate, most humans I know wouldn't be able to figure that shit out.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
This

No it's not fake, this bonobo was shown doing this on a recent BBC documentary.

DiscoJer

We killed the Neanderthals. We can kill some hippie monkeys

We didn't, exactly. When humanity left Africa, they apparently interbreed with them. Unless you are only of sub-Saharan ancestry, you have Neanderthal blood in you.

And if you are Asian, you have apparently Denisovan genes, too.

Ushojax

wow, this is so obvious fake.
I hope people here realize that.

This is not fake but don't worry, until a bonobo can build bazooka I think we'll be OK.

Youtube comments for this video are making my brain hurt.

Binabik15

Guys, bonobos are the GOOD ones. Once they use more tools they'll spend more time walking upright, once they have fire they will lose the fur, once they're upright all the time anf furless they will develop secundary sexual characteristics.

You know what that means? Bonobos have sex ALL the time. So in ~10k years we'll have super horny, super easy bonobo chicks that look just like us humans. Win!

Ushojax

Probably, otherwise there would have been larger shots and not only closeups of the hands. Just use human arms and a costume and boom.

lol

This particular bonobo has been shown doing this many times, it's nothing amazing. His use of the touchscreen to indicate which foods he wanted to eat was much more interesting, very impressive recall.

Do you actually think the BBC would put a guy in a monkey suit in one of their nature documentaries? This ape has been taught how to use matches to light a fire and toast marshmallows. It's depressing to me that some people's immediate reaction is 'it's a guy in a suit lol can't fool me'. Here's another video of the same bonobo lighting a fire.

Why we still got monkeys though?

Shahadan

lol

This particular bonobo has been shown doing this many times, it's nothing amazing. His use of the touchscreen to indicate which foods he wanted to eat was much more interesting, very impressive recall.

Do you actually think the BBC would put a guy in a monkey suit in one of their nature documentaries? This monkey has been taught how to use matches to light a fire and toast marshmallows. It's depressing to me that some people's immediate reaction is 'it's a guy in a suit lol can't fool me'.

It's depressing to me that people go "lol you won't believe TV" especially when it looks very fake. I don't give a fuck either way, it's just cut in a way that make it look fake. To me, showing a video cut like that is like a shaky/blurry vid of "aliens".
It could have been done any other way and they chose this, it's rarely a coincidence. I don't care if this particular monkey can dance salsa or whatever. I'm not even saying this monkey can't light a match.

It's depressing to me that people go "lol you won't believe TV" especially when it looks very fake. I don't give a fuck either way, it's just cut in a way that make it look fake. To me, showing a video cut like that is like a shaky/blurry vid of "aliens".
It could have been done any other way and they chose this, it's rarely a coincidence. I don't care if this particular monkey can dance salsa or whatever. I'm not even saying this monkey can't light a match.
you're a Christian, aren't you?

Ushojax

So an ape being filmed making a fire in a BBC nature programme is the same as a blurry alien sighting?

Are you saying this bonobo can't do what was shown? This ape has been filmed doing this many times by many different people and has been studied scientifically. It's not about 'trusting TV'.

Shahadan

So an ape being filmed making a fire in a BBC nature programme is the same as a blurry alien sighting?

Are you saying this bonobo can't do what was shown? This ape has been filmed doing this many times by many different people and has been studied scientifically. It's not about 'trusting TV'.

You quoted me saying I'm not debating whether or not the monkey can do it, so don't ask me. Yes he probably can. The video in the OP is just done poorly and is cut to not actually show him doing it. It looks fake, that's it.

But whatever, if you want to believe I'm just blindly screaming "loool monkeys are dumb they can't do shit FAAAAKE" be my guest.

Hypron

It's obviously been cut together from doing it multiple times, probably because they only have one camera more than anything else. That doesn't make it footage of aliens.

You genuinely think it's a guy in a costume?

This. I mean come on, it's not like the bonobo is building a car or something. Apes are dexterous so lighting a fire doesn't seem like an impossible thing to do.

Raknar

Neo Member

It's a BBC Documentary. You want them to change ths visual style of their programs because it could possibly look fake?

I bet they don't even consider that there are people stupid enough to consider that. Maybe you should write in and ask them to use wide-angle lenses from now on. No tight crops!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom