• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Evolve trailer

Applebite

Whether you like the game or not, this is the way to do "trailers" imo. Just show some gameplay and talk about what's going on. It's nice to see a trailer for a game that's not trying to deceive me 90% of the time.

One of my most hyped games this year. Left 4 Dead was my most played multiplayer game last gen and I'm hoping Turtle Rock can do it again.

The game seems to have some potential but it really depends how emergent tools and the environment are. A lot of the game is pinned on how different the goliaths are for me. Will we see some flying creatures, or agile stealthy creatures?

It's strange that they're presenting the game play commentary like some esports thing.
Worried the maps will become to predictable and will have a meta after a week
Exactly!

Also hope there's a hardcore mode without all the UI and silhouettes.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Hopefully I'm not alone when I say this but this concept looks boring...4v1? In the first few seconds of the match I was interested, but when the action/fighting started, I immediately thought...this would get repetitive and boring very quickly.

I know if this were a 4v4 it would probably be like any other traditional pvp experience, but I'm just not buying this 4v1 thing. I don't see the long-lasting "fun" factor here. Maybe it's my competitive side talking, but this gameplay looks boring and the commentators are trying to play it up to be something it's not.

One thing I don't care for is how static the environments look. Maybe it's because I'm on mobile, but I don't see any trees swaying or grass being affected by the wind; that would be a nice, immersive touch. Also some destructive physics would be cool; trees burning or being uprooted, etc. Otherwise, it looks pretty cool.

How much of this will be dependent on traps and positioning btw? The video looked like it was set up to become a game of wits and forward planning, then it just kind of devolved into 3 bouts of all-out warfare.

Looks pretty good aside from the commentary (stop trying to make esports happen!). I think I'd rather play with friends against monster AI than a real person, so it's nice that you can do that.

Hopefully I'm not alone when I say this but this concept looks boring...4v1? In the first few seconds of the match I was interested, but when the action/fighting started, I immediately thought...this would get repetitive and boring very quickly.

I know if this were a 4v4 it would probably be like any other traditional pvp experience, but I'm just not buying this 4v1 thing. I don't see the long-lasting "fun" factor here. Maybe it's my competitive side talking, but this gameplay looks boring and the commentators are trying to play it up to be something it's not.
This.

It just felt like the Monster and the Humans are both just damagesponges without real feedback for how much damage you cause on your enemies. Is it intended that the monster have to punch a guy a dozen times before he's knocked out?

I guess the game can be fun with a group of 5, but in matchmaking and randomgroups i dont see a chance this will really motivate for several days

mtodavk

Wow, this game is shaping up to be incredible. If it turns out how it looks, this could be possible GOTY material for me...of course this is coming from someone who has a couple hundred hours of L4D and L4D2 logged on steam.

Dommel

I liked it up until the point the hunted pounced on one of the hunters basically from behind.

Pinned him down, clobbered him for a good 5-10 seconds and then the hunter still didn't die?

mtodavk

I liked it up until the point the hunted pounced on one of the hunters basically from behind.

Pinned him down, clobbered him for a good 5-10 seconds and then the hunter still didn't die?

Gotta admit, if there was one WTF moment I had during that video, it was when the hunter got pounced, clobbered, and didn't die. Obviously, it'd be a little OP if the monster was as strong as a L4D tank in melee range, but there's got to be some kind of middle ground there. Maybe buff the monster's melee damage, but also buff the maneuverability of the hunters as well.

Imagine a Predator game like Evolve, I'd buy that in an instant!

This. Unfortunately from this gameplay it looks like the compromises they've been forced to make in the name if balancing has ruined the game in my eyes. I guess I shouldn't have got my hopes up for immersion within a multiplayer game.

The game looks grindey, and the melee damage the monster deals looks too neutered to be fun IMO. Sure I can see one hit kills being OP in a multiplayer context, but maybe that would force hunters to be more discrete and stealthy. That would be far more interesting to me than mindless arena battles.

Top Bottom