• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Evolve trailer

DJIzana

I mean it's the whole concept. It seems more about downing the monster and less about the survival of your team.
I don't know, they could have other modes in store but I had the most fun in left 4 dead when I had to fight hard to survive at the end of a map and getting swarmed with mobs, and leaving a buddy behind to get on a boat lol.

Yeah... I hear what you mean. I would always create "speed runs" or my own type of games with my friends in Left 4 Dead. Allowed for a lot more variety. That's what made Left 4 Dead stand out for me but I didn't like some other gameplay modes too. Love & hate sort of thing. :p

Ape

Banned
If it's anything like L4D, the content will be minimal but the replayability will be amazing.

You can play with any amount of bots. They have mentioned this before.

I just don't see this game as being like L4D. 4v1 without any variety of game modes can get old. I'm not as sold as you guys are yet.

Herne

Not sure what it is about this game, but I'm just not feeling it. And I really liked the Left 4 Dead games.

Pretty excited for this, but will reserve judgement until other modes are announced.

I've got 3 buddies I'm excited to play this with, I'm just wondering how enjoyable it'll be when they aren't around.

I think the E-sports approach they are taking with this game is kinda gross.

People are reading too much on the video commentary. They are just explaining what's happening on screen so people who haven't played the game (like us!) can understand there is more depth and strategy on it that it may seem at first.

JayEH

People are reading too much on the video commentary. They are just explaining what's happening on screen so people who haven't played the game (like us!) can understand there is more depth and strategy on it that it may seem at first.

They were apparently shoutcasting this at PAX.

KKRT00

They need to work on vegetation bend properties, because they suck right now.

They've added point light properties to flashlight and it actually looks quite cool. Flashlights also cast shadows.

Animations seem off sometimes, but gameplay looks fun and fast enough. I'm ready to see more monster types, goliath seems boring.

Hellshy.

I really like this multiplayer monster hunter concept they have going. Its a great idea to get the lone wolf types engaged in online multiplayer, besides being sniper.

I think the concept's more interesting as a co-op 4 vs. environment + animals vs. AI monster. A take on Left 4 Dead but with an ever-present Tank (not human controlled) trying to hunt the players + a hostile habitat trying to kill everything with lots of randomness. Then again, I was never big on L4D's competitive mode so I'm not the right audience.

RoKKeR

Any word on what framerate they are targeting for consoles?

I think this looks great and I love seeing something ab it different from an FPS game. Just a bit worried about the content, I'm starting to realize I don't value MP-only games at $60 if they are low on interesting things to do. (Titanfall)

KKRT00

Any word on what framerate they are targeting for consoles?

I think this looks great and I love seeing something ab it different from an FPS game. Just a bit worried about the content, I'm starting to realize I don't value MP-only games at $60 if they are low on interesting things to do. (Titanfall)

They said 30hz when they revealed game if i remember correctly.

And thinking about it, it really couldnt be 60hz, because its on CryEngine with quite many bells and whistles turn on.

They need to work on vegetation bend properties, because they suck right now.

They've added point light properties to flashlight and it actually looks quite cool. Flashlight also cast shadows.

Animations seems off sometimes, but gameplay looks fun and fast enough. I'm ready to see more monster types, goliath seems boring.

Ill make sure to tell my friend that his animations suck =P

Cool, PC or PS4 alpha build?

It was the PC build. Obviously it was rough around the edges. There were no game modes, I just got to play around with the monsters and the different hunters and their skills. If it works like they hope it will, I think it will be pretty cool. He was saying they were trying to put an emphasis on using the environment to track the monster. Looking for birds fly away from where he's feeding, tracking him by footprints, stuff like that. Monster starts really small and vulnerable and needs to hide from the hunters until he can evolve and the hunters try and track and find him before he gets really powerful. Hey said they're still trying to balance the game and in the beginning the matches would last forever, so they added a time limit and an winning objective for the player playing the monster so the matches wouldn't drag on. He said he can get me into the beta for either version, so I can give better impressions then.

hydruxo

Maybe it's just me but I can see the gameplay getting old very, very quickly. I mean it seems like all you do is track each other down. And that's it. There's really no variety. It probably is fun but it just doesn't seem like it has long lasting appeal to keep players playing for weeks on end.

Experien

I'm pretty sure there will be more game modes.

Doesn't look like anything in that article really suggests that there are different gameplay modes. They link to an article about them saying they are tight-lipped about it and then say you can play as the monster for single player?

I fully expect the "single player" to be just like Titanfall/Quake Wars/every other multiplayer based games.

Mlatador

Banned
I think this game would be more interesting if somebody (from the hunters) would actually die.

The huge monster was jumping right on and beating the crap out of one of them for like 10 to 15 seconds - and the mofo still lived...

[and yeah, the e-sports commentary was pretty cringeworthy]

Other than that it looks pretty cool.

They said 30hz when they revealed game if i remember correctly.

And thinking about it, it really couldnt be 60hz, because its on CryEngine with quite many bells and whistles turn on.

they said hitting 60 FPS was hard.

i think they can hit 60 FPS on PS4. Crysis 3 multiplayer was really well optimized on PC, perfect 60 FPS.

Experien

I want to like this game but full priced seems a bit steep. Big beef is how the soldiers seem more powerful than the giant beast. And how come the giant beast barely seems to do damage and the unknown, small water creature one-shots the soldiers? It makes me not want to play as the beast at all.

It looks like it will be fun for a few rounds then get old real fast. They need to show alot more if this is a $60 game. Really it has the look of an indie game on steam.

broony

It looks impressive but I'm not sure how much fun it's going to be shooting something over and over and over and over again without really affecting it for five minutes.

Reminds me of borderlands coop when your partner was way ahead of you and everything was near impossible to kill with your low level weapons.

I want to like this game but full priced seems a bit steep. Big beef is how the soldiers seem more powerful than the giant beast. And how come the giant beast barely seems to do damage and the unknown, small water creature one-shots the soldiers? It makes me not want to play as the beast at all.

Yeah, that bothered me I don't like how strong the soldiers are they should be fragile, you're hunters you arent meant to take massive grunt shots like that...these predators especially one that big should be instantly deadly if it hits you close.

Not taking into account Player skill, or strategy

First Form < Hunters=Second Form < Final Form

iamvin22

Industry Verified

you and your staff really put youtube to shame. reminds me of the divx HD tube days. thanks for this and everything else.

CHnANU2.gif

The Lamp

I just don't see this game as being like L4D. 4v1 without any variety of game modes can get old. I'm not as sold as you guys are yet.

There are different types of game modes. They've said it in the game informer article and other interviews, I believe.

The concept will always be monster vs humans though.

Huge fan of left4dead but I'm not liking the huge health bars whittling done in that video on both sides, and the weapons/gunplay doesn't look interesting (also a bit of a weak point for l4d but at least there the infected play was amazing)

l4d battles were a lot more deliberate and fast paced than this, with the infected having a good amount of time to plan and set up ambushes

this all looks rather arcadey and b tier ish to me in comparison

KKRT00

they said hitting 60 FPS was hard.

i think they can hit 60 FPS on PS4. Crysis 3 multiplayer was really well optimized on PC, perfect 60 FPS.

Crysis 3 multiplayer looked worse than this game and i dont think CPUs in current gens can handle 60hz, but maybe.

pelican

There's really no variety. It probably is fun but it just doesn't seem like it has long lasting appeal to keep players playing for weeks on end.

What like navigating across a level with 3 other players shooting zombies in the face?

On paper L4D sounds boring, but we all know it isn't ;)

Leunam

The monster doesn't look very fun to play as. Awkward and slow movement.

That might just be how this particular monster plays. They've said there will be more monsters in the final game so it's possible we'll see leaner, faster monsters as well.

That might just be how this particular monster plays. They've said there will be more monsters in the final game so it's possible we'll see leaner, faster monsters as well.
It needs more than just speed. It needs to be able to wallrun, walljump, etc. It should be mobile and vicious, attacking from all angles. This is just a FPS-style movement model without the FPS HUD. That is not a good combination, IMO.

Yeah, I guess it's just the way the dude commentates. I agree with the sentiment that the artstyle of the game looks pretty damn boring. Cool concept, but nothing from the game really pops out at me. Even the big bad monster looks pretty generic

Saw the video earlier today on gamersyde, then now I went to the youtube interactive video to watch the whole match. such a jarring difference going from gamersyde quality to youtube quality, ugh.

Top Bottom