• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Marvel's Spider-Man 2 PS5 Showcase Trailer Tech Breakdown

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Except now all the water is Ray Traced instead of screen spaced.

They literally explained what PS5 features it's taking use of, what is this shitpost?
Thank you.

Even with an analysis like this video, it's kind of amazing the way some ppl just see what they wanna see, and dismiss other stuff for reasons.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
It's reasonable to say that devs should focus less on framerate and resolution and more on other stuff, like what would a 1080p/30fps PS5 game look like?

I appreciate what the Matrix demo is doing, but the sacrifice to picture quality is NOT worth it. The demo is such a noisy, ugly mess from a picture quality standpoint. Burning Shores and God of War Ragnarok (to a lesser extent) have taught me the importance of resolution when games are created with boosted draw distance, higher quality assets/textures, and enhanced particle effects.

Dunker99

Neo Member
Laughing Out Loud Lol GIF by Minions
Good one? I guess?

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
What is keeping devs from maximizing PS5's full potential? Is it the lack of technical skill or is the PS5 still not powerful enough to do dynamic 4k to the highest level?
Maybe just dev-time and budgets. Maybe they could take 6-7 years to rebuild the game from the ground up for PS5 but the trade off in how much money that would cost, and how it would fuck up company financial forecasts. And really, how much more would the game sell with better visuals?

Keep in mind I’m playing devils advocate here, I really wanted SM2 to be a “holy shit” moment visually.

Banned
Yeah but PS4 Pro / One X games still had to be constrained to run on the base consoles. A native PS5 doesn't so the changes should be more profound.

the Witcher 3, Doom Eternal, Wolfenstein 2 and others run on Switch.

this weird concept of lower end hardware holding back higher end ones with the same feature set has just never been substantiated by and evidence

OCASM

Banned
the Witcher 3, Doom Eternal, Wolfenstein 2 and others run on Switch.

this weird concept of lower end hardware holding back higher end ones with the same feature set has just never been substantiated by and evidence
But a PS4 and a PS5 don't have the same featuresets. You can't make artistic decisions based on RT availability and the port the game back to hardware with no RT.

Why because a bunch of Gaffer are still arguing about what next-gen means to them without clearly and concisely SAYING what that exactly is? Not going to happen.
A next-gen game is one you can easily distinguish from a previous gen game. If you need DF to list its improvements over previous gen game ports then it's not really a next-gen game.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Insomniac always has the best IQ in the world imo. But what if their games ran at 1440 native with their temporal AA magic on top? Wouldn't you think that'll look good too?
Don't they end up doing that with the 40fps modes?

We forget that they tend to do 30, 40 and 60. All with RT as well.

Banned
But a PS4 and a PS5 don't have the same featuresets. You can't make artistic decisions based on RT availability and the port the game back to hardware with no RT.

you also can't really use RT for anything substantial on PS5 because AMD...

RT reflections can easily be subsidised by SSR and a low effort reflection map.

and technically, when we're talking Unreal Engine 5, the most popular engine by far, you could do RT with that on last gen. I'm kinda surprised that they didn't have an RT mode for Fortnite on One X tbh. it might need to run at 30fps due to the CPU strain but it should be possible with Software Lumen, as software Lumen has no issue running at 60fps on Series S

Last edited:
What impresses the most is that incomniac keeps pumping out the games.

If they took a couple more years like some other PS Studios I'm sure they could make it look a little nicer.
Yeah, and aren't they rumored to be working on another Ratchet and Clank game? Their production pipeline and management must be out of the charts!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
One that doesn't look like a PC version of a previous gen game. You know, the type we've had every single gen except for this one, often on the day of the console's release (ie. Killzone Shadow Fall).
I will ask the question once again, since you danced around it with another non-answer.
Every game released so far. What does a non cress-gen game look like?
Every game released so far this gen from first party to third parties fall into the category.

So what does "next-gen" look like this gen? Where is the barometer?

People keep saying "we want next-gen," but there is no frame of reference. And "tech demos" don't count. Those are not games, nor are they ever reached in any gen.

OCASM

Banned
you also can't really use RT for anything substantial on PS5 because AMD...

RT reflections can easily be subsidised by SSR and a low effort reflection map.

and technically, when we're talking Unreal Engine 5, the most popular engine by far, you could do RT with that on last gen. I'm kinda surprised that they didn't have an RT mode for Fortnite on One X tbh. it might need to run at 30fps due to the CPU strain but it should be possible with Software Lumen, as software Lumen has no issue running at 60fps on Series S
Aren't you contradicting yourself? You say you can't run extensive RT on PS5 but an Xbox One X could? Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

The first point is debunked with the existence of Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition.

I will ask the question once again, since you danced around it with another non-answer.
I gave you an answer. If you don't like it, too bad.

Every game released so far this gen from first party to third parties fall into the category.

So what does "next-gen" look like this gen? Where is the barometer?

People keep saying "we want next-gen," but there is no frame of reference. And "tech demos" don't count. Those are not games, nor are they ever reached in any gen.
Oh so there are barometers but you dismiss them because they would instantly prove you wrong. OK.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I gave you an answer. If you don't like it, too bad.

Oh so there are barometers but you dismiss them because they would instantly prove you wrong. OK.
You did not give shit. You are providing nothing of substance, just repeating words with nothing to back it up.

What should a next-gen game look like? Show us.

Show me these "next-gen" games that a select few of you repeat like robots in Sony graphics threads, but are unable to conjure up other than, "hurr durr, not look cross-gen."

Show us what next-gen is supposed to look like. Show me the "next-gen" games out there, released right now. From all developers making games in current year.

crickets GIF

Banned
Aren't you contradicting yourself? You say you can't run extensive RT on PS5 but an Xbox One X could? Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

Well software Lumen is pretty low quality, but it runs on non-RT accelerated GPUs, and it doesn't use the RT hardware of the 4 TFLOPs Series S GPU, while still hitting 60fps on it.

on last gen it would be more taxing, but the Steam Deck, which has a pretty slow CPU and very slow GPU, can also handle it

so UE5's low quality software Lumen should be able to run on last gen.

The first point is debunked with the existence of Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition.

the image quality here is very bad tho, sub 1080p at times on PS5.
and the game has a pretty static environment overall, something where the developers could easily make a baked lighting fallback for a last gen system.

GymWolf

Can I just skip to 2024 so I dont have to see these childish "game bad cuz graphics bad" replies? By that logic gaf should've given Horizon FW the biggest ass licking of all time considering the fact that it is and looks like a true next gen game and should've trashed ER for how technically garbage it is. The double/triple standards on some of the users here is just pathetic. Just enjoy the games you fucking children, no one cares if the game has more puddles.
I'm only seeing people shitting on the graphic tbh, the people who shat on the gameplay are people who probably didn't liked the first spidey gameplay neither.

Expectations dude, do you expect the same graphic from fromsoft and sony studios? nobody does.
Do we expected a game that looks barely better than morales when their other nextgen only game is the second best looking ps5 game (and for many it's the best).

And btw, horizon get constant ass-lickining for its graphic in here, even people who dislike the game think that it looks wonderful.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
To be fair.........

spider-man-2-trailer-reveal-playstation-showcase-2021_73m9.1080.jpg

de3f4a58fcb6ced2e0de4ab7f79ed5f537298f12.gif

spiderman2game-sony.gif

This is the generational difference I was expecting.....
1684997399-fw7jpzdwcauzxlb.jpg

And I know this game is still questionable, but.....

Yes, TBF,

They never showed off the nighttime lighting in gameplay. Only seen an example in the warehouse stuff which did match in the dark scenes.

Yes, he is the CM, but his track record has always been on point. I guess we shall see if it remains consistent closer to launch.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yes, TBF,

They never showed off the nighttime lighting in gameplay. Only seen an example in the warehouse stuff which did match in the dark scenes.

Yes, he is the CM, but his track record has always been on point. I guess we shall see.

I've never seen Stevenson flat out lie or be wrong. For me.......he's always been the voice of reason. So, I guess I'll temper my anger for now. What he did in the face of puddlegate deserved an award. I just hope he's right here too.

Last edited:

Banned

take away the shakey cam and the natrual looking hand animations, for and it will not look like anything special.

yes they used really high quality UE5 store assets here, but that's about all that's really good looking in this.

there's even missing shadows, where many objects hit by the flashlight don't cast a shadow.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I've never seen Stevenson flat out lie or be wrong. For me.......he's always been the voice of reason. So, I guess I'll temper my anger for now. What he did in the face of puddlegate deserved an award. I just hope he's right here too.
Even if he is, it's still going to be overanalyzed to hell and back. Online hubris, agendas, and all that downplaying.

OCASM

Banned
You did not give shit. You are providing nothing of substance, just repeating words with nothing to back it up.

What should a next-gen game look like? Show us.

Show me these "next-gen" games that a select few of you repeat like robots in Sony graphics threads, but are unable to conjure up other than, "hurr durr, not look cross-gen."

Show us what next-gen is supposed to look like. Show me the "next-gen" games out there, released right now. From all developers making games in current year.

crickets GIF

> There aren't any next-gen games on PS5.
> Show me the next-gen games on PS5.
> I just told you there aren't any.

Mat Best Attention GIF by Black Rifle Coffee Company

Well software Lumen is pretty low quality, but it runs on non-RT accelerated GPUs, and it doesn't use the RT hardware of the 4 TFLOPs Series S GPU, while still hitting 60fps on it.

on last gen it would be more taxing, but the Steam Deck, which has a pretty slow CPU and very slow GPU, can also handle it

so UE5's low quality software Lumen should be able to run on last gen.
That means there's really no excuse for current games to use it, right?

the image quality here is very bad tho, sub 1080p at times on PS5.
and the game has a pretty static environment overall, something where the developers could easily make a baked lighting fallback for a last gen system.
The game targets 60fps. A 30fps mode would easily fix that.

Even just brute forcing baked lighting improvements would be a win. Compare TLoU2 pre-downgrade with the retail version. A proper PS5 version would look substantially better than the PS4 game but for some reason it's not happening.

Last edited:

sendit

What is keeping devs from maximizing PS5's full potential? Is it the lack of technical skill or is the PS5 still not powerful enough to do dynamic 4k to the highest level?
Texture work and art style. People are more impressed when the art style depicts a more realistic tone.
To be fair.........

spider-man-2-trailer-reveal-playstation-showcase-2021_73m9.1080.jpg

de3f4a58fcb6ced2e0de4ab7f79ed5f537298f12.gif

spiderman2game-sony.gif

This is the generational difference I was expecting.....
1684997399-fw7jpzdwcauzxlb.jpg

Tons of bokeh and cinematic angles here. The gameplay reveal trailer didn't depict the same lighting conditions or similar scene. I'll reserve my judgement until the final release.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Yes, TBF,

Yes, he is the CM, but his track record has always been on point. I guess we shall see if it remains consistent closer to launch.

I'm just shocked that after:

Spider-Man
Miles Morales
Rift Apart

Some ppl are doubting Insomniac.

Like you say, when the game launches...and those photo threads get littered with pics, we shall see.

> There aren't any next-gen games on PS5.
> Show me the next-gen games on PS5.
> I just told you there aren't any.

This is called an Invalid Argument.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I'm sorry but nobody is gonna convince me that rtx reflections are absolutely needed in a game where you explore and fight at high speed with acrobatic moves for 90% of the time.

Reflections nutjobs are a particularly annoying branch between the graphic whores.

They should use the resources on the light model or to vastly improve the models and overall texture work, if you need a df video to tell you that they improved the textures here and there you know they fucked up, the ue5 fairy mountain demo or wukong looks both incredible even with yt compression so don't give me that shit...

Last edited:

Falc67

It’a fucking unfinished game. Why are some people here loosing their fucking minds over DF analyse? He said he couldn’t even do a reliable pixelcount.

So many people here will eat crow when this game is released and looks a lot better. I mean i trust Insomniac over all Xbox devs.

Most of the people complaining are PlayStation ‘fanboys’ or whatever you want to call them. Like myself. I only have a PS5 which I got day 1. Haven’t had an Xbox since 360. You mentioning Xbox means nothing to us, we just want better from PlayStation. The show case was their worst ever, and their BIG next gen only showcase doesn’t look as good as the first time we saw miles morales gameplay. Simple as that.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Most of the people complaining are PlayStation ‘fanboys’ or whatever you want to call them. Like myself. I only have a PS5 which I got day 1. Haven’t had an Xbox since 360. You mentioning Xbox means nothing to us, we just want better from PlayStation. The show case was their worst ever, and their BIG next gen only showcase doesn’t look as good as the first time we saw miles morales gameplay. Simple as that.
5wXzSmM.jpg

Danger 5 Laughing GIF

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
take away the shakey cam and the natrual looking hand animations, for and it will not look like anything special.

yes they used really high quality UE5 store assets here, but that's about all that's really good looking in this.

there's even missing shadows, where many objects hit by the flashlight don't cast a shadow.

Are you just going to ignore the amazing lighting?

OCASM

Banned
What constitutes a native PS5 game to you?
To quote myself:

"A next-gen game is one you can easily distinguish from a previous gen game. If you need DF to list its improvements over previous gen game ports then it's not really a next-gen game."

Examples from the previous gen:

Uncharted 3 vs Uncharted 4
The Last of Us vs The Last of Us Part 2
Killzone 3 vs Killzone Shadow Fall
etc...

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Maybe just dev-time and budgets. Maybe they could take 6-7 years to rebuild the game from the ground up for PS5 but the trade off in how much money that would cost, and how it would fuck up company financial forecasts. And really, how much more would the game sell with better visuals?

Keep in mind I’m playing devils advocate here, I really wanted SM2 to be a “holy shit” moment visually.
How did they create the city for the first game in 4 years? Sunset Overdrive came out in 2014, 4 years later they had the entire Manhattan created for Spiderman with a completely new combat system, animations, NPC simulations and everything that goes into creating a new open world IP. They also shipped a ratchet remake in 2016.

Spiderman 2 is coming out 5 years later and they cant create Manhattan from scratch? Why? I could understand using the same city for Miles since it was sold as a $40 standalone expansion, but this is a full fledged sequel and they are basically touching up some building assets while adding Queens and Brooklyn. Hardly equal the amount of work that they did for Spiderman 1 in just 4 years.

The decision to make this game look marginally better than Spiderman 1 likely took place in 2018 after they shipped Spiderman 1. I dont know if they were thinking of company's financial forecasts 5 years into the future. I have honestly no idea why they would release an amazing looking trailer 2 years ago only to deliver something that looks nothing like it. They clearly were aiming for way better than this gameplay demo. Something must have gone wrong somewhere.

spiderman2game-sony.gif

marvel-spider-man-spider-man.gif

diffusionx

Gold Member
To quote myself:

"A next-gen game is one you can easily distinguish from a previous gen game. If you need DF to list its improvements over previous gen game ports then it's not really a next-gen game."

etc...

Yet if I play, say, Borderlands 3 on my PS5, it gets 4K/60fps with no problem, looks much sharper and runs far smoother than the PS4, to an extent that it can be "easily distinguished" as soon as you sit down and start playing it, then Borderlands 3 is a next-gen game.

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
It would be better if he compared it with the sunset lighting instead of the standard day lighting, because he makes it look like the lighting is better than the remaster.
Marvel-s-Spider-Man-Remastered-20230526195908.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-Remastered-20230526193909.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-Remastered-20230526194211.png

sendit

I see this image brought up consistently:

JEdnCAJ.jpg

From DFs analysis (not the same location, but close enough):

YkOOb7v.jpg

Increase in env detail is quite apparent here. LOD will obviously kick in as the player gets closer to the building. Given the same lighting conditions and angles as the reveal trailer, we can see very similar visuals (as the initial reveal).

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What the... Are you drunk?
Nah, just intellectually dishonest.

etc...

So anyways - about the actual issue at hand; there really is a diminishing returns issue in games. Every time you double the amount of polygons, the subject will only look marginally better than the previous generation did. The difference between PS1 and PS2 was enormous. The difference between PS2 and PS3 was smaller, although still very significant. The difference between PS3 and PS4 is clearly noticeable, but it's not as big a leap as previous generations were. Future generations will no doubt offer smaller changes in graphical fidelity, and put more focus on added features.

Even at 10 years ago, the comment is every bit as relevant today due to how the pipelines are compared to 10+ years ago with technology leaps getting smaller and smaller across the same architectures with just efficiency tweaks to them.

I have been saying this for some time now. What will set this gen and last gen games apart, are environmental physics and animations. Those items should get more focus with the added processing power.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Their games are way smaller than the other sony games, that's why.

Make em do an open world as big as horizon or a "linear" game like ragnarock and see how 3 years are not gonna be enough.

Spidey was one of the smallest open world out there, morales is a 8 hours campaign and ratchet was like what? 10 hours at best?

I have more than 100 hours on both ragnarock and horizon, probably no more than 50 between spidey, morales and ratchet combined.
I might be crazy but I'd prefer an awesome 15 hour game that I can enjoy and what more of than a game like ragnarok that was 50 hours long where I wish half of it was cut. Haven't event brought myself to try Horizon on PlayStation plus as it sounds awful for my taste from the feedback I've read.

But each to their own and I get your point.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I might be crazy but I'd prefer an awesome 15 hour game that I can enjoy and what more of than a game like ragnarok that was 50 hours long where I wish half of it was cut. Haven't event brought myself to try Horizon on PlayStation plus as it sounds awful for my taste from the feedback I've read.

But each to their own and I get your point.
The opposite for me, if i enjoy the gameplay and the story, i want more of it, i adored ragnarock for being full packed of content even in the endgame.

OCASM

Banned
Yet if I play, say, Borderlands 3 on my PS5, it gets 4K/60fps with no problem, looks much sharper and runs far smoother than the PS4, to an extent that it can be "easily distinguished" as soon as you sit down and start playing it, then Borderlands 3 is a next-gen game.
You could say the same thing about The Last of Us remastered for PS4. The Last of Us Part 2 would show what an actual PS4 game looks like.

Nah, just intellectually dishonest.

Even at 10 years ago, the comment is every bit as relevant today due to how the pipelines are compared to 10+ years ago with technology leaps getting smaller and smaller across the same architectures with just efficiency tweaks.

I have been saying this for some time now. What will set this gen and last gen games apart, are environmental physics and animations. Those items should get more focus with the added processing power.

Sorry but the tech demos you loathe so much show that these consoles are capable of so much more that the barely better than cross-gen games we have gotten so far. Not to mention that since the Matrix demo release Lumen and Nanite have been further optimized. Also, the Metro Exodus EE shows that even using the exact same assets as you had last gen tech improvements alone can make a massive difference.

And also, this discussion isn't new. Here you have Brian Hook explaining this 24 years ago (the relevant part lasts 10 minutes):

TL;DW: Just increasing polygon counts/resolution and slapping some effects on top won't make games look next-gen.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
TL;DW: Just increasing polygon counts/resolution and slapping some effects on top won't make games look next-gen.
But adding better environmental physics and animations will, with the already high fidelity scenes and lighting that are drawn.

Physics/Animations should be the next big game changer. Metro's jank hinders that, big time. No matter the lighting solution and dated assets.

sendit

You could say the same thing about The Last of Us remastered for PS4. The Last of Us Part 2 would show what an actual PS4 game looks like.

Sorry but the tech demos you loathe so much show that these consoles are capable of so much more that the barely better than cross-gen games we have gotten so far. Not to mention that since the Matrix demo release Lumen and Nanite have been further optimized. Also, the Metro Exodus EE shows that even using the exact same assets as you had last gen tech improvements alone can make a massive difference.

And also, this discussion isn't new. Here you have Brian Hook explaining this 24 years ago:

Mind showing us a UE5 game that is released utilizing both Lumen and Nanite that is visually up to your next gen standards?

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I'm sorry but nobody is gonna convince me that rtx reflections are absolutely needed in a game where you explore and fight at high speed with acrobatic moves for 90% of the time.

Reflections nutjobs are a particularly annoying branch between the graphic whores.

RT reflections aren't needed or ideal in a game whose main characters are swinging in between tall skyscrapers with highly reflective windows 95% of the time?

It will inevitably have a 40fps mode which will likely be similar in fidelity to the 30fps mode I have a feeling the 60fps mode will be sub 1080p for the most part. I really wish they would stop pushing ray tracing on these systems. It was good enough in the previous games. No need to add it to the water. What a waste of performance. I would rather they revert to what they had before and instead increase geometry, character models etc. Infinitely more noticable. Keep it for the pro.

GymWolf

RT reflections aren't needed or ideal in a game whose main characters are swinging in between tall skyscrapers with highly reflective windows 95% of the time?
You swing at super high speed dude, i don't believe for a single moment that during high speed web slinging or acrobatic combat you can notice high quality ssr over rtx.

People who stop all the time to notice this stuff are just people who love taking screenshots, not people who actually play the game.

And this game has even faster web slinging than spidey 1, so...

Last edited:
Top Bottom