• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby Triple Deluxe Review Thread: expect lots of "sucks" and "blows" jokes

zroid

Banned
Cheat Code Central: 4.9/5
Jenni Lada said:
There's just so much to do in Kirby Triple Deluxe, further proving that Kirby is still our lovably stalwart companion. He's been by our sides as we've grown up, and will undoubtly remain a part of our lives as long as Nintendo makes games. For this, we should be thankful and, it seems as long as HAL Laboratory is around, we will be guaranteed fantastic installments. Kirby Triple Deluxe is an amazing game with tons of replay value and is one of the few games that makes the most of the 3DS' capabilities. It's a sure winner and will long be remembered one of the best games the 3DS has to offer.

Destructoid: 8/10
Chris Carter said:
Kirby:Triple Deluxe is yet another winning entry in the franchise. It delivers the core Kirby experience alongside of a few very well done extras, which is pretty much everything a fan could ask for. While the Kirby formula could easily be getting stale for some, it still represents a whimsical corner of platforming games that's centered around one central ideal -- fun.

DigitalSpy: 4/5
Sam White said:
Despite inevitable comparisons to the mastery of last year's Super Mario 3D World, Kirby Triple Deluxe is an unassuming delight.

With secrets aplenty and some brilliant set-piece sequences, it's got all the hallmarks that a top-notch Nintendo icon deserves.

It's a blast, no matter how easy. Kirby Triple Deluxe, like its namesake, has the fine-tuned ability to suck you right in, no matter who you are.

EDGE: 7/10
HAL hasn’t made a 3DS game since AR freebie Face Raiders, but Kirby: Triple Deluxe shows it’s lost none of its infatuation with the handheld’s featureset. It’s the first platformer since Super Mario 3D Land to make you want to nudge that 3D slider up and leave it there, with intricate layered worlds that long to be given every bit of depth the device can muster. Spring-loaded hands erupt from the screen, Kirby hops on stars to warp from foreground to background, and enemies untether themselves from mundane 2D paths. ... As it is, his 3DS debut is too uneven to be essential, but too charming for fans to miss.

EGM: 9/10
Ray Carsillo said:
Kirby: Triple Deluxe is another fine addition to the long line of stellar handheld games in the series. A couple of outdated practices and a forgettable mini-game were not enough to stop me from feeling immensely satisfied with my experience after polishing off the final boss. New powers and well-executed use of the 3DS’ peripheral features added just a bit of freshness to keep this old formula working well, giving the Pink Puffball yet another successful debut on another Nintendo console.

Escapist Magazine: 4/5
Jim Sterling said:
Bottom Line: Kirby Triple Deluxe is a light and breezy trip to the spherical slurper's roots. While those looking for a challenge will find this installment as frustrating as previous entries, fans are in for another undeniably charming treat.

Recommendation: It's hard not to simply smile the whole time playing, and it's harder not to recommend a game that can do that!

Eurogamer: 8/10
Chris Schilling said:
For my money, Kirby's traditional platformers aren't where he's at his best. As one of gaming's most flexible heroes, he shines brightest whenever he's pressed into new forms: I'd class the likes of Power Paintbrush and Mass Attack among his career highlights. And yet as contemporary updates of classic formulas go, Triple Deluxe knocks spots off the insipid, sluggish Yoshi's New Island - it's more generous, more inventive, more alive.

Game Informer: 8.5/10
Kyle Hilliard said:
Triple Deluxe does a better job than most Kirby games at retaining a consistent upward slope of challenge throughout. During the last few worlds and final boss, I was surprised to see my lives dwindle, and began to play much more carefully – something I’ve never done in previous Kirby titles. I was excited to embrace this challenge. The game isn’t hard, but I needed to improve my abilities as I made my way to the end boss. This made for a Kirby experience that remained engaging up to the final boss and beyond.

Gaming-Age: A
Dustin Chadwell said:
It’s certainly forgivable if Kirby Triple Deluxe isn’t a release that’s been on your radar, but I’d urge you to rectify that now. This is one of the best 3DS releases this year, and certainly not a title I’d urge any Nintendo, or old-school action/adventure fan to miss. Kirby Triple Deluxe really packs a lot of fun into its pint-sized package, and I suspect a lot of people will be surprised by how great this game really is. I wholeheartedly recommend it, whether you’re a fan of the franchise or not.

GamesBeat: 92/100
Mike Minotti said:
Kirby: Triple Deluxe looks like just another entry in an old series if you only peek at screenshots and trailers, but this is the best 2D platformer I’ve played on the 3DS. Levels offer tons of secrets and hidden items to find, and the game’s use of the portable’s 3D effect is delightfully clever. It’s nice to see charm and wit take center stage in this beautiful adventure.

If you ever enjoyed a Kirby game, you really should check this one out.

GameSpot: 8/10
Mark Walton said:
It's a gorgeous game, but its levels are also superbly balanced and expertly crafted, while being as imaginative as anything to come from the platforming benchmark that is the Mario series. Not only that, but it feels fresh and exciting. Sure, some of its 3D ideas may have been attempted before, but they've never felt as complete as they do here. ... Triple Deluxe is an absolute diamond of a game, and cements Kirby's place as nothing less than a bone fide platforming superstar.

GamesRadar: 3.5/5
Justin Towell said:
Kirby: Triple Deluxe is a fundamentally enjoyable package. The production quality is sky-high, the treasure hunt aspect well played, and the moveset(s) expansive and versatile. The post-game content and side-modes give this game plenty of longevity too, provided you don’t suffer Kirby fatigue, which could happen given its constant barrage of whimsy. Its relative shortcomings are softened because the core experience is such a pleasure. Kirby: Triple Deluxe is yet another quality platformer from Nintendo and is worthy of your time and money. Even though it’s ‘just’ a platformer.

Gametrailers: 8.7/10
This is a video review!

GameXplain: "Loved It"
This is a video review!

IGN: 6/10
Jose Otero said:
Kirby Triple Deluxe may look great and has some clever ideas for how to use 3D, but falls into a rut of simple platforming and puzzles that rarely require any thought or skill. I admire that it tries to give us more powers and abilities to play with than ever before, but that empowerment shouldn’t come at the expense of any real difficulty.

Insidegamer.nl (Dutch): 7/10
Maarten Jalink said:
{Google translated} Despite the fact that Kirby Triple Deluxe could captivate us, but a small six hours we certainly enjoyed the game. Of excessively cheerful game world to the beguiling foreground and background puzzles; it's all great fun together. It's just a great pity that the game is so simple. If the game had been a little more difficult, but even then it was so one half to one point when received.

Invisible Gamer: B+
Kirby: Triple Deluxe surprised me. From its impressively varied level design and exceptional use of stereo 3D to the depth of strategy inherent in the many Copy Abilities it gives players to try out, it constantly threw new things at me that made me think, “hey, that’s pretty neat.” It might not be the best platformer I’ve played on the 3DS this year, and it’s certainly not the most challenging, but you know what? I had a lot of fun with it. And at the end of the day, that’s all that really matters.

Joystiq: 4/5
Danny Cowan said:
Kirby: Triple Deluxe doesn't succeed on all fronts, but the majority of its campaign is a joy to play, and the "Kirby Fighters" mini-game is solid enough to flesh out the package. Triple Deluxe doesn't reach the heights of Kirby Super Star, but it's still one of the finest Kirby adventures to date.

Metro: 7/10
David Jenkins said:
In Short: One of the best Kirby games so far, although it still suffers from all the series’ usual faults – including the nagging concern that the whole concept could be so much more.

Pros: Gorgeous presentation and an impressive range of abilities that have a lot more depth to them than usual. Some great set pieces and the Hypernova ability is great.

Cons: Trivially easy except for the final boss, with too little need to experiment or use specific power-ups. Levels have no flow or narrative logic, and too many ideas are recycled from older games.

Next-gamer.de (German): 8/10
Julian Krause said:
{Translated} Easy, but not mindless . Quick to play through, but not short. Kirby: Triple Deluxe offers everything Kirby fans love about their pink darling - and even more. With an apparent love for details and in spite of its low difficulty, Kirby: Triple Deluxe becomes the best 2D platformer the 3DS has to offer. With a playtime of roughly 15 hours, the new Kirby game will be finished quickly, but not a single second feels empty of content, especially since there are several bonus modes that keep you busy.

Nintendo Insider: 9/10
Alex Seedhouse said:
Kirby Triple Deluxe is as much a technical extravaganza for the 3DS hardware as Super Mario 3D Land was nearly three years ago. Kirby truly shines here under HAL Laboratory’s perfected craftsmanship, ultimately seeing the developer deliver the handheld’s first blockbuster of 2014.

Nintendo Life: 7/10
Jon Wahlgren said:
Kirby Triple Deluxe is a pleasant package that doesn’t push the envelope very far. The Story Mode is an elegant but conservative adventure that trades too greatly in familiarity and simplicity, the same type of neo-nostalgia that Nintendo has seen success with on the Mario side of things: it’s sure to scratch that Kirby itch — or create one for new players — but fails to move the franchise forward in any meaningful direction. However, the rest of the package holds its own quite well: Kirby Fighters is a great time-sink sure to provoke new rivalries among friends, and the post-game content offers a second competitive wind to the adventure. Come for the cute platforming, stay for the battle royale.

Nintendo World Report: 8.5/10
Bryan Rose said:
There are annoyances here and there, but Kirby: Triple Deluxe is still a strong entry in the Kirby franchise. It instantly feels familiar, but adds to the Kirby formula by adding a number of unique and interesting scenarios, through both abilities as well as the 3DS hardware. The learning curve is easy enough for any novice to pick up, and the charm and colorful graphics are easy on the eyes. It’s a wonderful platformer that is easy to recommend for anyone looking for a fun time on the 3DS.

Polygon: 7.5/10
Danielle Riendeau said:
When I started the game up, I was worried about Kirby: Triple Deluxe. The first world felt too easy, too "me-too." I thought the hypernova power was going to be a tired gimmick, tacked on to a standard platformer. But Kirby: Triple Deluxe really warmed up after the first world or so, with levels that had me warping between planes and making clever use of Kirby's ever-expanding arsenal. Kirby: Triple Deluxe isn't the prettiest Kirby game — but it's the smartest.

TechnoBuffalo: 7.5/10
Ron Duwell said:
Do yourself a favor and check out at least one other Kirby game before jumping into Kirby’s Adventure. Kirby: Triple Deluxe a nice little entry point to the series, and it should be your first stop before diving into the stronger older games. It’s loyal enough to their design, and it sacrifices only small elements veterans will pick up.

Newcomers will enjoy it to pieces, and it will open up the gates to one of Nintendo’s most cherished franchises.

USGamer: 4/5
Jeremy Parish said:
Even if you tend not to care much about Kirby games – understandably, given how toothless they can be – Triple Deluxe merits attention. Smart level design and a remarkable level of detail make this portable platformer one of Kirby's greatest adventures to date.

Seems like the good blowing so far. I'm glad to have another traditional Kirby after so many experiments, imagine this will be the last of those for a while.

maxcriden

Metro: 7/10

Originally Posted by David Jenkins

In Short: One of the best Kirby games so far, although it still suffers from all the series’ usual faults – including the nagging concern that the whole concept could be so much more.

7/10, but one of the best Kirby games so far? Sounds like he hasn't played Mass Attack...Canvas Curse...Epic Yarn....RTDL....

Thanks for making the thread Zeer0id! I'll be sure to post any reviews I come across.

ETA: Here's one from Inside Gamer (German I think)--

http://www.insidegamer.nl/recensies/110753/kirby-triple-deluxe-review-hoe-luxe-is-triple-deluxe - 7/10

Necrovex

Seems like the good blowing so far. I'm glad to have another traditional Kirby after so many experiments, imagine this will be the last of those for a while.

Is this title similar to Kirby Super Star, Kirby 64, and Return to Dreamland? I love playing the traditional Kirby games.

There are more unlockables to come after completing the story mode, too; though finishing the game won't take too long, I'm not all that surprised that my activity log says I've been playing for over 25 hours.

what, so how long does it take to finish it?

wrowa

I just leave my review here: http://www.next-gamer.de/reviews/im-test-kirby-triple-deluxe/

Badly translated bottom line:
"Easy, but not mindless . Quick to play through, but not short. Kirby: Triple Deluxe offers everything Kirby fans love about their pink darling - and even more. With an apparent love for details and in spite of its low difficulty, Kirby: Triple Deluxe becomes the best 2D platformer the 3DS has to offer. With a playtime of roughly 15 hours, the new Kirby game will be finished quickly, but not a single second feels empty of content, especially since there are several bonus modes that keep you busy."

8/10

If anyone has any questions regarding the game -- I gladly answer each and every one of them.

maxcriden

OmegaFax

The scores look good so far. Relunctant to really read into them until I get my copy on Friday. Bought the 3D Classics version of Kirby's Adventure when this game was announced last October to kind of fill the void.

jackal27

Banned
Embargo is actually not up for another 20 minutes so I'm hesitant to give my thoughts...

Looking at the quotes in the OP I would say 6-15 hours I guess the truth is in the middle and depending on if getting collectibles (there are collectibles, right? it would be strange for a Kirby game not to).

Oh yes.

Berordn

Looking at the quotes in the OP I would say 6-15 hours I guess the truth is in the middle and depending on if getting collectibles (there are collectibles, right? it would be strange for a Kirby game not to).

There's a new MacGuffin called Sun Stones in every level, which take the place of the gears from RtDL. There's also some collectable keychains too.

So yeah, probably close to 15 hours to do 100% like usual.

MarkusRJR

Sounds like the usual Kirby affair, which means day one for me. Only the best in the franchise get 8.5's and 9's (Kirby's Adventure, Superstar, Canvas Curse), the rest all get middling reviews. Doesn't make the games any less enjoyable in my eyes. Even the worst of Kirby (Squeak Squad, Air Ride) is incredibly enjoyable for me.

think ill grab this over mario golf mainly because the reviews say this is a graphical showpiece at 60fps with 3d up my anus.

reminds me i need to get back to donkey kong returns 3d lol.

wrowa

Well, collecting all of the collectibles (excluding the keychains, since those are distributed randomly) in the main game will take you roughly 10 hours. However, there are also two bonus modes available from the start and two additional ones will be unlocked after clearing the main game. It definitely has a lot of content, that's for sure.

RM8

This is the first Kirby game since Jim Sterling left Destructoid, so we're not getting that 10/10 from them :p

Looking forward to this game. I may not get it day one since I'll be busy with Mario Golf World Tour, but I'll pick it up as soon as I get tired of Mario Golf.

R.I.P

Kinda short on cash right now, but man, I just can't resist a new traditional kirby platformer, especially when it's getting (mostly) nice reviews. Day 1!

jackal27

Banned
I have been LOVING this game! Lack of online multiplayer is a bit of a bummer, but what's there is fantastic. Kirby Fighters is a blast to play with a group of friends and alone. It has an N64 Smash Bros feel to it. Return to Dreamland is my favorite Kirby and this feels a bit like an extension of that with some cool new elements and 3D stuffs. Also those little collectible sprite keychains are adorable. This game isn't here to make you struggle, it's here to make you smile and boy does it ever. No complaints here! Buy it!

Top Bottom