• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby Triple Deluxe Review Thread: expect lots of "sucks" and "blows" jokes

Kazerei

Banned
IMO, complaining that Kirby is too easy is like complaining that Super Meat Boy is too hard. Kirby is meant to be a relaxed romp, while Super Meat Boy is meant to be a ball-busting challenge. If you find Kirby too boring or Super Meat Boy too frustrating, perhaps the game isn't for you, and that's fine. Different strokes for different folks.

Lernaean

Banned
Reviews are pretty much all over the place again, but towards the positive side.
I for one know that i',m very excited for this game and from what i've seen so far it definitely doesn't suck >.<

culafia

Scores and reviews reflect the opinions of a reviewer applied to the score standards of a website. Should someone avoid complaining about something like Kirby being easy because it's the accepted standard? If someone didn't have fun with something for a specific reason, their opinion still belongs among the pool of people who think the experience is just right. Something being an accepted standard doesn't excuse that something from criticism or mean they shouldn't be reviewing it. If anything, a flawed standard makes criticism more necessary.

RM8

Scores and reviews reflect the opinions of a reviewer applied to the score standards of a website. Should someone avoid complaining about something like Kirby being easy because it's the accepted standard? If someone didn't have fun with something for a specific reason, their opinion still belongs among the pool of people who think the experience is just right. Something being an accepted standard doesn't excuse that something from criticism or mean they shouldn't be reviewing it. If anything, a flawed standard makes criticism more necessary.
But would you take seriously a review that bashes Tetris because it lacks narrative and production values? Not all games are trying to accomplish the same thing.

Ridley327

Have Kirby games really been easy?

I remember playing Return to Dream Land twice, and I certainly found it harder than any of the New Super Mario Bros. (outside of the special worlds), even more so when you count Kirby's bosses, the Extra mode, and the whole boss rush mode. The only way I was able to beat that final boss when I first played was by using the Electricity power-up, charging it by shaking the Wii remote, and spamming the most powerful attack in the game, lol. Sometimes I feel like people just call the game easy because of its looks, but I wonder what other people think...

I would be more interested in hearing about this game's difficulty compared to the Wii game.

Return to Dream Land is one of the only exceptions in the entire series. Generally speaking, they've all been rather breezy experiences.

culafia

But would you take seriously a review that bashes Tetris because it lacks narrative and production values? Not all games are trying to accomplish the same thing.

Ah, but the difference here is that Tetris is part of a very technical genre focused on mechanics, and because of this, no reviewer has ever asked for that. Kirby is part of the platforming genre, which is also an extremely technical genre where no one really cares about the story usually unless the game actively makes an attempt at it.

However, if Tetris was too easy even at its hardest, people would complain justifiably, even if it gained an impressive fanbase. And by the time the fifth Tetris game was out, and if it was still too easy to someone, they should still complain about it. Doing your own thing doesn't excuse that thing from criticism. Things that don't work don't work.

Berordn

Return to Dream Land is one of the only exceptions in the entire series. Generally speaking, they've all been rather breezy experiences.

Return to the King in Super Star Ultra is up there too, but it's disappointingly short and you could probably dismiss it as a hard mode version of Spring Breeze from the same game. The extra content in the main games tends to be kinda challenging, but for the most part you're right in RtDL being the only one with any sort of sharp difficulty increase.

RM8

Ah, but the difference here is that Tetris is part of a very technical genre focused on mechanics, and because of this, no reviewer has ever asked for that. Kirby is part of the platforming genre, which is also an extremely technical genre where no one really cares about the story usually unless the game actively makes an attempt at it.

However, if Tetris was too easy even at its hardest, people would complain justifiably, even if it gained an impressive fanbase. And by the time the fifth Tetris game was out, and if it was still too easy to someone, they should still complain about it. Doing your own thing doesn't excuse that thing from criticism. Things that don't work don't work.
I don't believe in genre standards, personally. And if we all can agree that good platformers can be very hard, or "just in the middle" without thinking one is superior to the other, there's room for platformers that go below that. It's a series trying a different thing, so yeah, in my opinion it's silly bashing a game that is clearly covering one of three tiers within Nintendo platformers (it'd be something like Kirby -> Mario -> Donkey Kong in terms of difficulty).

Return to the King in Super Star Ultra is up there too, but it's disappointingly short and you could probably dismiss it as a hard mode version of Spring Breeze from the same game. The extra content in the main games tends to be kinda challenging, but for the most part [Ridley327 is] right in RtDL being the only one with any sort of sharp difficulty increase.

Hmm, that's interesting... Return to Dream Land is one of the few Kirby games I love (as opposed to like), and now I wonder if the difficulty has anything to do with it. It'll be interesting to hear how people compare the 3DS game to it, especially since they look similar.

Either way, I feel like I should buy the 3DS game. The game being easy will hopefully be negated by the Extra mode. Plus, the bosses and music in Kirby games are always top-notch. (Even a generally disliked game like Amazing Mirror has some of the best bosses in the series.)

Kangi

The reviews specifically pointing out that the soundtrack is "one of the best in the series" have me excited. For a game series with so many great soundtracks, it's nice to see most of the recent games (SSU, Epic Yarn, RtDL, this) have even better ones.

See: infinite spin controversy

jnWake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjTb802X9n0

My god this song is great.

EDIT:

According to this link, both he and Ando worked on Melee, while only Ando worked on the original.

(I just didn't feel like writing it all out, so I said Ando sort of made all the music for Melee.)

Ah, I see. He may be credited because of the themes of the original Smash though but I have no idea. In any case, the original Smash Bros has a crazy good soundtrack so having Ando/Shakai back for SSB4 would be incredible.

Arkage

Banned
Should we keep a tally for how many reviews use the phrase "makes me smile" because it's what you're supposed to say for Nintendo games?

On the other hand these positive reviews make me almost want to buy it, moreso than Yoshis island anyway. It's a shame I don't like smiling.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
My review for German site Gaming-Universe is online, too. My clsoing comments:

Kirby: Triple Deluxe fails at passing Mario, Yoshi oder Donkey Kong, for this, its platforming levels sadly are too simple, sometimes even boring - despite some really interestin ideas. Nevertheless, beginners will be happy about the laid-back degree of difficulty and Kirby fans, too, will be well-served by this game. A real standout however is the fighting mode that even I as a fan of platformers preferred over the platforming-part of the game. Kirby Triple Deluxe is a good game, but sadly not an outstanding one.

7/10, which means "good".

Berordn

Anyone here know how long it will take to 100% this game? Kirby games from my experience have always been relatively short.

The general consensus is that it's 8-10 hours to 100% the main campaign, and you can add another 3-5 depending on how involved you get in the post-game content.

Top Bottom