• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby Triple Deluxe Review Thread: expect lots of "sucks" and "blows" jokes

zroid

Banned
I think I have most of the prominent outlets posted now, but let me know if I've missed anything. I'm gonna stop hunting for reviews. :p

edit: Polygon just posted theirs. NOW I'm gonna stop >.>

Zalman

I have been LOVING this game! Lack of online multiplayer is a bit of a bummer, but what's there is fantastic. Kirby Fighters is a blast to play with a group of friends and alone. It has an N64 Smash Bros feel to it. Return to Dreamland is my favorite Kirby and this feels a bit like an extension of that with some cool new elements and 3D stuffs. Also those little collectible sprite keychains are adorable. This game isn't here to make you struggle, it's here to make you smile and boy does it ever. No complaints here! Buy it!
Great to hear, thanks. I'm excited to play it.

CANLI

I own the jap version since February and I can say that the game is great. Better to play with a 3ds instead of a 2ds (^o^)

DDon't hesitate.

jackal27

Banned
I am really hoping that Kirby Fighters becomes a staple mode in future Kirby games. It's so good that it really made me ask "Why hasn't this always been a thing!?" Would love to play it online someday. It's surprisingly balanced too.

I have been LOVING this game! Lack of online multiplayer is a bit of a bummer, but what's there is fantastic. Kirby Fighters is a blast to play with a group of friends and alone. It has an N64 Smash Bros feel to it. Return to Dreamland is my favorite Kirby and this feels a bit like an extension of that with some cool new elements and 3D stuffs. Also those little collectible sprite keychains are adorable. This game isn't here to make you struggle, it's here to make you smile and boy does it ever. No complaints here! Buy it!

Good practice for Smash 3Ds you would say?

culafia

IGN's review more or less told me that this game isn't for me. Not to be an asshole, but I don't think I have the time or money to spend on something that has no real potential to challenge or immerse me. Return to DL was pretty okay with difficulty, but it seems like this doesn't even hit that level.

jackal27

Banned
Good practice for Smash 3Ds you would say?

Totally. I mean, it's nothing as complex as Smash Bros, but it's comparable. Smash has always had a Kirby feel to it since they're from the same creator so this just feels like a natural fit. It's about wearing down health bars rather than throwing opponents though.

Totally. I mean, it's nothing as complex as Smash Bros, but it's comparable. Smash has always had a Kirby feel to it since they're from the same creator so this just feels like a natural fit. It's about wearing down health bars rather than throwing opponents though.

Sweet. Can't wait. Return to Dreamland for the Wii will be good practice.

BiggNife

The reviews seem to vary between

"It's a kirby game!" - 8/10

and

"It's a kirby game..." - 6/10

I will probably be picking this up because I haven't played a Kirby game in a while and I've been itching to play one recently

jackal27

Banned
I want to add that I have not completely finished the game yet and I hear the last boss pulls some frustrating crap from a couple of people. Still, what I have played so far is enough for me to recommend it.

Sweet. Can't wait. Return to Dreamland for the Wii will be good practice.

Yeah. I loved how that game brought back the complex power ups from Super Star. It never occurred to me that they could each be different fighters in a fighting game.

tanooki27

the reviews are higher than i expected. thought i was safe just getting mario golf, but might have to pick this up. been hankering for a well-designed platformer.

Alrus

Complaining about Kirby games being too easy seems a bit weird at this point. Challenge was never part of the appeal of the franchise.

Kriken

Kirby Triple Deluxe suffers from the same fundamental problem most standard Kirby platformers have in the past: With so many powers and abilities at his disposal, breezing through its levels becomes incredibly easy for most of the game.

Isn't that like giving Dark Souls 2 a low score because like other Souls games, it's brutal to the player? I don't get the idea of knocking Kirby for being easy, the series was always something easy and relaxing *Shrugs* seems like that was his only complaint for the review, so pre-order justified

jackal27

Banned
Isn't that like giving Dark Souls 2 a low score because like other Souls games, it's brutal to the player? I don't get the idea of knocking Kirby for being easy, the series was always something easy and relaxing *Shrugs* seems like that was his only complaint for the review, so pre-order justified

That quote... Just... What? The point of having all those powerups isn't to make the game easy, it's to give the player options in what ways they want to play because that is FUN. I would be so bored with a Kirby game that didn't offer me several transformations throughout a level.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So if I haven't really liked a Kirby game since Nightmare in Dreamland, would I like this? The ones I've played since have just been painfully boring. I want excitement! I want (at least a little) challenge!

Dunno. I'm just tired of generic Kirby games, and I want to believe they found the magic again.

jackal27

Banned
So if I haven't really liked a Kirby game since Nightmare in Dreamland, would I like this? The ones I've played since have just been painfully boring. I want excitement! I want (at least a little) challenge!

Dunno. I'm just tired of generic Kirby games, and I want to believe they found the magic again.

Honestly, maybe not? This game is a lot like Return to Dreamland (my fav) and if you didn't dig that, you probably won't dig this.

soultron

Banned
What the fuck? This comes with a Smash Brothers demo where the only playable character is Kirby?

Fuck it -- I'm in.

jackal27

Banned
What the fuck? This comes with a Smash Brothers demo where the only playable character is Kirby?

Fuck it -- I'm in.

It does you one better. It's more like a separate game entirely with its own gameplay systems and nuanced mechanics. Love it. Each power up is like a separate character.

How's the frame-rate?
I'm guessing(hoping) it's 60 fps. Kirby games at 30 are pretty dang rare.

Definitely 60fps, even in 3D. This game is gorgeous. I feel like such a Kirby shill right now, but I really am loving this game that much.

GeeDuhb

So I haven't started reading any of the full reviews yet, but did anyone see mention of how the (as someone called it SSB 3DS demo) Battle mini game is? That is one of the thing about this game that excites me the most lol...

Salsa

I think saying it's too easy is still a valid complaint even when It common for the series. I know it's my biggest pet peeve with the Kirby games. no challenge means I'd be done with this game pretty quickly which puts mario golf at a priority for me so far, but I might pick this up later. looks great

MrBadger

Really looking forward to this! The last platformer I played was New Island, so I think I'll be able to tolerate the low difficulty in favour of the nice visuals, great soundtrack and creative level ideas. What I'm really looking forward to is the boss fights. After seeing Flowery Wispy Woods and screen-filling Kracko, I'm excited to see what other beefed up old bosses and brand new fights are in this game.

Maybe you should try out the less traditional ones like Canvas Curse and Mass Attack. I've not played Canvas Curse (and intend to fix that), but Mass Attack has a fair bit of challenge and plenty of interesting ideas.

Super excited for this. I need me some Kirby.

From what it seems from the reviewers, people are starting to look for more difficult Kirby games. I'm not sure I understand why, since I think the series plays well as an "easy" game.

I think it could probably be remedied in a future title by having something like a Nightmare/Challenge mode. Enemies do more damage, you have less health, etc. Actually, didn't one game have something like that? A Nightmare Mode?

Also, too bad it seems like they decided to skip on a bundle with this game. I see a new Pink 2DS, and I'd have totally sprung for that if it had some sort of Kirby insignia on it. Honestly, I'm just holding off for a cool bundle now to upgrade to the XL.

Berordn

From what it seems from the reviewers, people are starting to look for more difficult Kirby games. I'm not sure I understand why, since I think the series plays well as an "easy" game.

I think it could probably be remedied in a future title by having something like a Nightmare/Challenge mode. Enemies do more damage, you have less health, etc. Actually, didn't one game have something like that? A Nightmare Mode?

They often have hard modes in Kirby games, the issue is that they're always only available after finishing the main mode and have you playing through the exact same levels with less health and (sometimes) modified enemy layout.

But even then it glosses over the fact that the games are really tightly designed and the ability movesets have a fantastic amount of thought and work put into them that rarely gets a chance to shine, thanks to the virtually mindless difficulty. The few times in the series where the difficulty really goes all out (such as the True Arena in Super Star Ultra and Return to Dream Land), it shows an incredible amount of effort and versatility in boss and ability design.

It plays well as an "easy' game, but there's no reason why it can't play well as a "hard" one either, and having harder difficulties unlocked from the start or having any amount of difficulty curve would be a welcome change.

jackal27

Banned
So I haven't started reading any of the full reviews yet, but did anyone see mention of how the (as someone called it SSB 3DS demo) Battle mini game is? That is one of the thing about this game that excites me the most lol...

Like I said, it's an awesome mode. One that I'll be playing for quite a while.

Also, if you guys want a challenge, try playing through Kirby Fighters on the mid-higher difficulties without using a continue. That'll get your blood pumping.

Wow went to gamestop today thinking I could just walk in Friday and get it. Apparently they are only getting enough in for preorders and I was able to get a preorder in time. Employee told me this and Mario kart 8 are the top preorders in my area.

Berordn

Wow went to gamestop today thinking I could just walk in Friday and get it. Apparently they are only getting enough in for preorders and I was able to get a preorder in time. Employee told me this and Mario kart 8 are the top preorders in my area.

The GameStop near me has tried to do this to me for literally every game on release day. Immediately after I go to the Target across the street and they have copies of everything in abundance.

I wouldn't take their word at face value.

GeeDuhb

Like I said, it's an awesome mode. One that I'll be playing for quite a while.

Also, if you guys want a challenge, try playing through Kirby Fighters on the mid-higher difficulties without using a continue. That'll get your blood pumping.

Does this mode support online at all? I can't remember if I had seen this stated anywhere yet.

Have Kirby games really been easy?

I remember playing Return to Dream Land twice, and I certainly found it harder than any of the New Super Mario Bros. (outside of the special worlds), even more so when you count Kirby's bosses, the Extra mode, and the whole boss rush mode. The only way I was able to beat that final boss when I first played was by using the Electricity power-up, charging it by shaking the Wii remote, and spamming the most powerful attack in the game, lol. Sometimes I feel like people just call the game easy because of its looks, but I wonder what other people think...

I would be more interested in hearing about this game's difficulty compared to the Wii game.

Top Bottom