• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A DRIVECLUB update from Evolution Studios - 30fps/1080p, was delayed for dynamic menu

bombshell

Hi everyone. Following Shuhei’s message yesterday, I’m here give to you an update on DRIVECLUB direct from Evolution Studios. I’m proud to be leading the extremely talented and hard-working development team here at Evolution. As gamers first and foremost, we are determined to deliver the game we promised to the quality we know you expect.

We appreciate all of your support – it’s motivating and humbling for us to have such a vocal and supportive community. Your messages drive us to do everything we can to live up to our original ambition of making DRIVECLUB the game that invigorates the racing genre again.

Your great support deserves us to be open with you. I know we have been quiet for a while since we made the decision to delay the game, so I wanted to take this opportunity to let you know exactly why the team felt that DRIVECLUB needed more development. We wanted to make sure we got one important feature right.

The dynamic menu is key to how much fun you’re going to get out of the game because it is the glue that connects you to everyone else in the DRIVECLUB community. Whenever you fire up the game; between every race you play, and when you log in to DRIVECLUB on your phone or tablet, the dynamic menu has to be slick to ensure your experience is seamlessly connected. Essentially it’s where you discover what to play, and who to play with.

It’s also absolutely vital to our ambition of growing a vibrant network of millions of connected clubs, who all share the excitement of driving amazing cars together. Whether they play just to have fun, or to complete every challenge and beat their rivals in every race, it’s this connected community who will keep the game fresh and enjoyable well after launch, so it makes sense for the connectivity to be perfect.

13779649145_b9e20f42c0_z.jpg

No racing title has ever combined the development of a socially charged, multi-platform dynamic menu with all the other connected online elements that DRIVECLUB delivers. We know that what we are creating here is hugely ambitious and we’re proud of the fact that we’re getting close now because we’re a relatively small studio. The progress we’re making is great, so I’m looking forward to showing you more as development continues and prove that all the hard work has been worth it.

While that work goes on, the rest of the team here is relentless when it comes to exploiting the power and confidence of the PS4, so we’re also raising the bar even higher across other aspects of the game including:

Visuals – We’re constantly improving how stunning the game looks as we continue to optimise visuals and find new ways of pushing the PS4. You can see for yourself how it looks right now in the latest video we shared yesterday because all the footage was captured on PS4 from the game. It’ll look even better in October.
Audio – It’s absolutely state of the art. We’re continuing to refine the authentic sounds that we have for each and every car in the game and we’re going to put together videos that focus on this.
Driving – It already feels great to play and we’re continuing to add further layers to the physics to make it both more accessible for everybody and more sophisticated for experienced racers.
Clubs – We’re making it easier for you to keep up to speed with what’s going on in your club as part of the rework on the dynamic menus. We’ve also tweaked clubs to support up to 6 players instead of 12 (because the game is more fun with tightly-knit clubs and it paves the way for awesome 6 on 6 club races).
Tour – The difficulty curve for the campaign mode is becoming even smoother as we continue to optimise the vehicle handling and also refine the game’s AI for non-player racers.
Cars & Tracks – More time means more staggeringly detailed cars and exciting tracks too. If you haven’t already, check out the Ferrari in the video released yesterday. There are loads more exciting cars for us to reveal in the coming months.
14092386003_5f805d8ac6_z.jpg

I’d also like to confirm that the PS Plus Edition of the game will be available on the same day as the full release. Offering a selection of cars and tracks from the complete version, we think it’s the perfect way for those new to the genre to get an idea of what the full DRIVECLUB experience is all about. Look out for more details on the PS Plus Edition very soon.

Thanks again to everybody for your continued support; it really is a huge source of inspiration for the team. We appreciate that there’s a lot of anticipation and excitement for everything that DRIVECLUB promises to be, so we hope that you understand why we won’t compromise on quality to rush it to you.

It’s been a long and hard winter but it’s great that we can finally start sharing updates with you again about all of the cool things that DRIVECLUB does. We don’t anticipate another quiet period for a while so you can expect to see plenty more from us in the coming weeks leading up to E3 2014!

More soon™,

The DRIVECLUB team.

tHE2aZG.png

Jj4tUCm.png

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/04/30/driveclub-update-evolution-studios-2/

TheMan

Decent update. Looking forward to finally grabbing this game in the fall (not that I'll have much time to play it as an intern). I just wish we had more racing games to tide us over till then.

Ctrl+F

1080p

0 of 0

Fuck outta here with that resolution bullshit.

Cars & Tracks – More time means more staggeringly detailed cars and exciting tracks too. If you haven’t already, check out the Ferrari in the video released yesterday. There are loads more exciting cars for us to reveal in the coming months.

So...15-20 tracks?

arhra

So the TL;DR version is that they delayed it a year to redesign the menus.

They'd better have some fucking good menus.

Although I'm sure the delay has also given them the chance to polish the shit out of everything else and add more content, so it's all good.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The first thing I did was CTRL + F, 60, then 30.

No results.

FUCK.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
only 6 per club seems a small amount. I thought we'd be able to have a GAF club, with everyone contributing to our score.

noobasuar

Banned
Your trolling is really getting old. Every Sony thread. Give it a rest.

First off I'm not. It says that the most important thing they wanted to get right was the dynamic menu. I realize they've been working on other things also I'm just surprised at the focus on whatever they mean by the dynamic menu.

Took em a year for rushy to decide what font to use :)

Personally i think it was ALOT more then menus. Most likely the amount of cars/tracks was terrible, they say as much here in that it gives em more time to create more content.

Makes you wonder how many cars/tracks they had in the original version.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Have they ever showed the 'Dynamic Menu' ?

baconcow

Yeah, not buying another racing game at 30 fps. There is a real desire for racing + 60 fps, especially when a smooth responsive feel makes a huge difference when driving 200 km/h+.

RulkezX

It's concerning that we've gone from

DriveClub PS Plus Edition is the full game minus a few cars and tracks

to

Very vague, wondering how different the original Plus version vision will be from a game that has gone a year late and no doubt is over the original budget by quite a bit.

You notice that there are no quotes in that article stating it's the full game minus a few cars and tracks.

I dunno why people though a game that's 49.99 to pre order ( UK ) was going to be more or less the same retail / + version.

And don't say platinum trophy , it could be win 1000 races for all we know.

Icefire1424

Eh, I'm okay with the delay if it does optimize the interface. Game is an ambitious one, would rather them take the time to ensure ease of use from the beginning opposed to a shoddy interface at launch.

only 6 per club seems a small amount. I thought we'd be able to have a GAF club, with everyone contributing to our score.

I agree with their thinking here. 12 seems like too many people. With less people every member's contribution is important and you really have to work together. 6 seems like a number that would achieve that.

Took em a year for rushy to decide what font to use :)

Personally i think it was ALOT more then menus. Most likely the amount of cars/tracks was terrible, they say as much here in that it gives em more time to create more content.

Makes you wonder how many cars/tracks they had in the original version.

Well from the way they talk about it, the menus is pretty much the core of the game. If they get that wrong it won't matter how pretty the game looks or how well it handles. Their thinking was that If you can't find fun content seamlessly the game is doomed. And they were willing to take an extra year to make sure they got that right. I have to say I respect that.

This is interesting too, instead of 1 giant gaf club versus the world via leaderboard like structure. its many small gaf club and we can have tourney between gaf clubs. Basically this is more like a fighting game tourney structure. Reminds me of initial d. Really interested for this.

Mindlog

No racing title has ever combined the development of a socially charged, multi-platform dynamic menu with all the other connected online elements that DRIVECLUB delivers.
That's some serious synergy that should certainly drive momentum through socially symbiotic strategies.

Thin air, but it's what I'm hoping/expecting as a minimum number of tracks at launch.

It will, probably, be more. They had 5-6 locations announced before the delay. Assuming there would be 3 track configurations for each (short+long circuits + point-to-point) looking at 15 - 20 there.

sense

First off I'm not. It says that the most important thing they wanted to get right was the dynamic menu. I realize they've been working on other things also I'm just surprised at the focus on whatever they mean by the dynamic menu.

lets be real here. have you ever said anything remotely positive regarding sony? be it sales, games( crash is your favorite?), features, service.etc.... you always have something negative to say though or first to downplay things but carry on because i am sure you are not trolling.... just for the record i am not saying you need to post anything positive about them but judging by your history it isn't hard to guess why anybody would call you a troll

Nice! thanks for the update

Visuals – We’re constantly improving how stunning the game looks as we continue to optimise visuals and find new ways of pushing the PS4. You can see for yourself how it looks right now in the latest video we shared yesterday because all the footage was captured on PS4 from the game. It’ll look even better in October.

already looks good enough though. I'd rather have it run better.. :-/

iMax

Paul Rustchynsky said:
We want to push the boundaries on PS4 with the visual detail in DRIVECLUB, so we’ve now locked the game to a rock solid 30fps. Doing so means that we don’t compromise on the staggering native 1080p visual quality or the seamlessly networked connectivity while you race.

We’ve got a lot of experience at Evolution Studios and members of the team who worked on Gran Turismo, WRC, Grid, F1, MotorStorm, Project Gotham and more have all contributed to the handling dynamics. We’re confident that it gives everybody a fluid and authentic driving experience that is accessible for beginners, yet deep enough to satisfy even the most track-hardened racers.

Eh.

Top Bottom