• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A DRIVECLUB update from Evolution Studios - 30fps/1080p, was delayed for dynamic menu

“The PlayStation Plus edition is still the same. You’ll have full multiplayer access, be able to send challenges, create clubs – the only thin you’re going to be limited on is content, so that’s cars and tracks. But if you want the full experience, obviously Blu-Ray is the way to go where you get everything included.”

On the possibility of consistent free and paid post-launch DLC content, Rustchynsky added, “I definitely, definitely would say that we are going to have new and free content post-release.

“It’s something we want to keep the Driveclub community active with, so month-on-month you’ll see new cars and new tracks added to the experience, so whether you’re a Blu-Ray player or PlayStation Plus edition player, you’ll be able to continue the experience. But there will of course be additional paid-for content as well, which will be release afterwards.”

I find it intriguing that they mention the "PS Plus" and "Blu-Ray" versions. Like the game is not going to have a full game digital edition? Bad phrasing on their side, I guess.

So...15-20 tracks?

If the game only has these locations in it:

Antigua
Canada
Chile
India
Scotland

Before the delay I think each location had four tracks, 3 circuits and 1 point to point.

CONFIRM RUSHY!!!

I'm still waiting on the size of the biggest track in the game...

I'm expecting 10 - 15 locations in the finished game.

Ishida

Banned
Your trolling is really getting old. Every Sony thread. Give it a rest.

If this was a thread about Nintendo delaying a game because of a menu, noobasaur would be like: "Oh, of course. Perfection takes time. Smart move by Nintendo."

TaKeRx

30fps is not bad considering how awesome the game looks still i'ts very disappointing as I was hoping this would be rectified. Let's see how it combats Horizon 2 since that should be open world as well.

bombshell

Yeah, sorry bud, should've added that. It was one of the comments.

I figured :)

He posted another comment on wheel support:

Jj4tUCm.png

Delayed for a menu interface? Am I reading this right?

The social aspect of the game was not perfect.

But I'm sure you get that... keep trolling and maybe you get a ban soon enough... maybe even in time for you to focus on playing Mario Kart.

Control+F G27

just tell us already

I think this is not on them... Isn't that up to logitech?

They still will not answer the Promised Dynamic Weather? is it in or out.

Now, this is a good question.

FranXico

Surprised that the clubs have a maximum of 6 members rather than 12.
This explains why there were 12 cars on the track.

If the game was designed for these many players, I guess it's okay...

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
The first thing I did was CTRL + F, 60, then 30.
No results.
FUCK.
So if the game isn't in any fps, does that mean it doesn't exist?
It's concerning that we've gone from
DriveClub PS Plus Edition is the full game minus a few cars and tracks
to
Very vague, wondering how different the original Plus version vision will be from a game that has gone a year late and no doubt is over the original budget by quite a bit.
Up to 15% off or more.
It makes sense. They are the same phrase.

daveo42

Banned
An additional year to shore up the menu systems to make the game quick and fun to hop into at any point from multiple devices that still provides all the info you need and functionality to keep things moving? I'm fine with this.

Making a good menu system that is both functional and user-friendly isn't a small task, given how much it seems to matter in this game with its inclusion of racing clubs and social events and connectivity. Not making it near perfect could probably be the downfall of the game itself.

And...all of that time wasn't just used for menus guys. Sucks that they couldn't squeeze enough out of the PS4 at this point to push 60fps, but I'm sure all the extra work they've been putting into the game will pay off in the end.

jett

D-Member
I find it hard to believe that it was the social stuff and this "dynamic menu" that delayed the game for an entire year.

Loudninja

We know that you wanted #DRIVECLUB to be there at launch and until last October we thought we could make it. We almost did. We've had a tough winter since but we're making very good progress now, as Rushy highlights in today's update. As you can see from all of our recent posts we are immensely proud of how the game is developing. We are on track to realise our vision of creating the best connected racing experience on any console. What's more making it a game that you can enjoy with ALL of your friends for a very long time to come.

We stand by our decision to take this extra time to achieve our ambition and we are thankful that Sony PlayStation stands by us too. Above all, though, it's the fact that so many of you have stood by us all of this time that we appreciate the most. Your patience, enthusiasm and positivity continues to inspire everyone one of us here at Evolution to keep going. We're pouring our hearts into this game so that in October we can start a new era of racing games that are connected and lively, allowing us all to enjoy racing together with friends. We're committed to doing that for you. WITH you.
https://www.facebook.com/driveclubofficial

viveks86

What on Earth is this dynamic menu? All I remember is a glimpse of it during their first reveal and E3 presentation. Also there was that UI concept video. Why is it being called out as the first aspect that needed to be improved? Can we see what this thing is all about, Rushy? A focused video/blog that covers just this would be great. If it's that unique, you guys should be flaunting it more. This is the first time it's even being mentioned.

bombshell

What on Earth is this dynamic menu? All I remember is a glimpse of it during their first reveal and E3 presentation. Also there was that UI concept video. Why is it being called out as the first aspect that needed to be improved? Can we see what this thing is all about, Rushy? A focused video/blog that covers just this would be great. If it's that unique, you guys should be flaunting it more. This is the first time it's even being mentioned.

Yeah, I'd really like to see a detailed video of it too.

Trevelyan

Banned

I'd assume a menu that is constantly updating with new records, or your records being beaten by friends/rivals. Or any new races that are being formed. Most likely not in the form of a pop-up notification, but similar to active tiles you can individually select.

Locked 30.

With the visuals of this game, it was more then obvious for a first gen game they would not be able to push it at 60fps. Completely destroys anything I've ever seen in a racer, upcoming or current.

Nice work Evolution! Solid, locked 30fps is great. Not very hard to push a stick left and right, no matter what others here say, be it at 60 or 30.

Can't freakin wait for October.

a selection of cars and tracks from the complete version, we think it’s the perfect way for those new to the genre to get an idea of what the full DRIVECLUB experience is all about

So basically a demo behind a paywall.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
So basically a demo behind a paywall.

A bit more extensive than a demo.

"The PS Plus Edition will still be out, along with the Blu-Ray and digital edition and what it’ll offer is a cut-down version of the content," he explains. "So you won’t get all the cars, you won’t get all the tracks, but you still get all the key features: you’ll be able to play online, multiplayer races, you’ll be able to join a club, create connections, attend challenges and even play through part of the single-player game and unlock Trophies as well."

link

malcher

So we wait almost a year because they don't know how to program a menu??? That is what I got from reading the blog update. All the rest is standard blabbering that every developer will say while working on a game (improving graphics, audio, AI, etc.). They simply don't want to admit to a lot of fuckups and try to sugar coat the delay and awful customer treatment with so called "update". And they even can't say which wheels are supported (just generic "we are working with manufacturers" which sounds that at this point no wheels at all are supported)? Laughable.
Forza Horizon 2, please, please be released this year.

malcher

A bit more extensive than a demo.

link

"So you won’t get all the cars, you won’t get all the tracks, but you still get all the key features: you’ll be able to play online, multiplayer races, you’ll be able to join a club, create connections, attend challenges and even play through part of the single-player game and unlock Trophies as well."

WTF? Part of the single player?

The game looks incredible, which honestly is a bigger deal than 60fps IMO. As long as the game runs smoothly, this is a non-issue for me. I'm more intrigued by the audio work that they are doing, cause the engines sounded great in that trailer.

So we wait almost a year because they don't know how to program a menu??? That is what I got from reading the blog update. All the rest is standard blabbering that every developer will say while working on a game (improving graphics, audio, AI, etc.). They simply don't want to admit to a lot of fuckups and try to sugar coat the delay and awful customer treatment with so called "update". And they even can't say which wheels are supported (just generic "we are working with manufacturers" which sounds that at this point no wheels at all are supported)? Laughable.

My mommy didn't buy me candy at the checkout and I'm still really upset about it!

viveks86

I'd assume a menu that is constantly updating with new records, or your records being beaten by friends/rivals. Or any new races that are being formed. Most likely not in the form of a pop-up notification, but similar to active tiles you can individually select.

Hmmm… I'm going to compile everything we know about these menus so far when I get the time today. Let's see if we we can put the pieces together

Kysen

I hate the way all this social shit is seeping into racing/sports games. I dont want to see leaderboards out of the wazoo or all that floaty UI crap overlaid everywhere. There has to be a way to turn it all off.

malcher

How did you expect to play the whole single player if you don't have all tracks and cars?

Well, at the beginning the PS Plus Edition was marketed as "full experience" without few things (cars and tracks). At least I received the original announcement this way. Now suddenly it is a demo.

Tayaya

Yeah, not buying another racing game at 30 fps. There is a real desire for racing + 60 fps, especially when a smooth responsive feel makes a huge difference when driving 200 km/h+.

30fps is more than playable for a racing game, especially one that moves at realistic or close to realistic speeds. Anything less than that and we have a problem, so I'd say it's the bare minimum at which a racing game is playable and fluid. As long as it doesn't dip, it'll be fine.

Do I prefer 60? Of course I prefer 60. There are no substitutes for that silky smooth motion and it does help convey the sense of speed better. But after looking at the detail, the lighting, the eye candy that's going into Driveclub... I really don't want to sacrifice any of that just for a smoother framerate.

malcher

The game looks incredible, which honestly is a bigger deal than 60fps IMO. As long as the game runs smoothly, this is a non-issue for me. I'm more intrigued by the audio work that they are doing, cause the engines sounded great in that trailer.

My mommy didn't buy me candy at the checkout and I'm still really upset about it!

Great comment, sir. At least I tried to voice my opinion over the update instead of attacking other people. Yes, I am disappointed at the way Sony handled the situation. I bought PS4 partially for this game. I signed for PS Plus only for this game.

noobasuar

Banned
I hate the way all this social shit is seeping into racing/sports games. I dont want to see leaderboards out of the wazoo or all that floaty UI crap overlaid everywhere. There has to be a way to turn it all off.

Developers think that by adding in all this social garbage people will end up playing the game for longer which in turn should help sell DLC and whatever other microtranscations there are.

I doubt it works but what do I know.

Top Bottom