• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A DRIVECLUB update from Evolution Studios - 30fps/1080p, was delayed for dynamic menu

EGM1966

I don't think it was delayed for the menu. Shu said the whole game was being redone from square one.

I don't remember that. They said it was back to the drawing board in a number of areas no?

If I'm reading right it sounds like the whole logic/code behind the social/online aspects just wasn't working out right. Clearly its way more than a menu and ties into matchmaking, searching for races, etc. Sounds like that's the area they had to go back to the drawing board on and re-design it and rebuild it again.

From other comments I suspect that performance issues with the dynamic lighting and having a 100% locked frame rate were also part of the issue although I seriously doubt they went back to square one there - I doubt they'd be launching 2014 if they re-started work on the core engine to that degree.

Anyway it's good to finally get some clarity and a release date again. I'm not too bothered by the 30/60 angle I'll judge the game on its merits and performance as released. The Plus version sounds like an ideal way to get a feel for it before deciding whether to plump for the whole game or not.

Corto

I don't remember that. They said it was back to the drawing board in a number of areas no?

If I'm reading right it sounds like the whole logic/code behind the social/online aspects just wasn't working out right. Clearly its way more than a menu and ties into matchmaking, searching for races, etc. Sounds like that's the area they had to go back to the drawing board on and re-design it and rebuild it again.

From other comments I suspect that performance issues with the dynamic lighting and having a 100% locked frame rate were also part of the issue although I seriously doubt they went back to square one there - I doubt they'd be launching 2014 if they re-started work on the core engine to that degree.

Anyway it's good to finally get some clarity and a release date again. I'm not too bothered by the 30/60 angle I'll judge the game on its merits and performance as released. The Plus version sounds like an ideal way to get a feel for it before deciding whether to plump for the whole game or not.

Live feeding and updating all those stats across your friends list and DriveClub community will be a feat. Another thing they have to nail is the presentation of these stats. It needs to be completely unobtrusive and not distract the player from the race itself. The delay could be worth it if they really achieve all this.

iMax

Sorry, may not have been Shu! But yeah, that's the statement they put out.

Boy, "we delayed the game to get the dynamic menu right" just sounds bad. Can't you tell us how this so-called Dynamic Menu is supposed to work and why it won't be, at best, just another layer of (admittedly cool and interesting) stuff like Battlefield's Battlelog and, at worst, something incredibly intrusive like "Tweet This!" and "14 likes" buttons everywhere? Because as much as I like Battlefield, if someone had told me they delayed Battlefield 5 for a whole year because they wanted to rework Battlelog from the ground up, that would still seem crazy. (insert jokes about how Battlefield 5 should be delayed so the game doesn't crash and rubberband all over the place)

I dunno. On the surface it sounds like tearing out your social layer and replacing it with a completely new one could be a big change. But because we never really knew what the old version sounded like, and because the new game doesn't really seem any different from the old one, it's really hard to get a sense of why they spent a year on this. Worse, all the focus on social makes me worried that I'm not going to get anything out of this game because I certainly don't have six friends to form a "club" with. Plus, no Logitech wheel support is ass (even if in the end it's not totally their fault because I guess they need Logitech drivers? why did Sony not allow PS3 wheels to just work on PS4? baffling!).

At least the PS+ version is still on. I'll be getting that day one for sure.

noobasuar

Banned
I can't recall you actually playing any game outside of the Nintendo threads. I hope I'm wrong cause this would just seem to be a tremendous waste of time for someone.

No I have all the consoles from the previous three generations. Like right now I'm doing a replay of Max Payne 2 and looooooooooving it.

Rembrandt

Banned
It's not just a simple menu. It's collecting all kinds of data, formatting it, determining all sorts of context from the results, etc.

So kind of the like the autolog in NFS? idk why people are getting offended when someone questions an almost year old delay over a menu that exists in other games in the genre when this game has been in the making for close to a decade. Maybe it would be better if they actually expanded on the menu and told us what all it does and why it's different from the Autolog or why exactly it took this long to implement. It sounds like they're using that as an excuse for whatever flaws the game had.

Corto

So kind of the like the autolog in NFS? idk why people are getting offended when someone questions an almost year old delay over a menu that exists in other games in the genre when this game has been in the making for close to a decade.

That's incorrect, and you know it. The game is not in the making for close to a decade.

So kind of the like the autolog in NFS? idk why people are getting offended when someone questions an almost year old delay over a menu that exists in other games in the genre when this game has been in the making for close to a decade.

Never be surprised by a delay because of a technical reason. I've been a software developer for 8 years and it's amazing what game developers pull off.

Logitech dosen't make wheels anymore, so is it safe to guess that even if sony supported the driver (which might happen) it still would not work because of logitech?
I don't think there is anything stopping sony from supporting the wheel with the currently available drivers they have already developed for the controller.

So will the Logitech wheels we already have work or not? I can't understand what exactly they meant to say.

It seems to contradict this: http://www.simdriving.net/news/all-ps3-compatible-wheels-to-work-on-ps4

https://twitter.com/Logitech/status/455765303109373952

latest tweet april 14th and they still have no news on 'officially' supporting it.

Corto

Concept phase, pre-production and active development are very different stages of game development your post without any context made it seem like Evolution was actively working on this game for a decade which would be impossible considering their size and all the games they released in the meanwhile.

iMax

Concept phase, pre-production and active development are very different stages of game development your post without any context made it seem like Evolution was actively working on this game for a decade which would be impossible considering their size and all the games they released in the meanwhile.

How big are they? They easily could've had a very small team (5-10) working on it.

KingJ2002

1080p
30fps

dynamic menus
deep social support

definitely feels like this is shaping up to be the spiritual successor to PGR.

god i hope it is.

Corto

How big are they? They easily could've had a very small team (5-10) working on it.

I just read that statement to mean that Driveclub was their "passion" project that was on the backburner for all this time until they had the resources to finally materialize it. Using that as an argument bullet point to put Evolution Studios on the spotlight is disingenuous.

Rembrandt

Banned

Even with that being said, they state "And we looked at all kinds of things, we looked at personal ads on the internet… dare I say it there are even mock-ups [for Drive Club] that look like dating sites. This game has always been about social clubs wanting to race together, and having waited now we can, with a certain degree of hindsight, say the time is now right for that. which makes the delay over a dynamic menu seem even weirder, imo. I would think that a game that was in the concept stage for close to ten years but was focused on a social aspect from the start would have a dynamic menu be, at least, one of the first things they ensure is working before touting off a release date.

I just read that statement to mean that Driveclub was their "passion" project that was on the backburner for all this time until they had the resources to finally materialize it. Using that as an argument bullet point to put Evolution Studios on the spotlight is disingenuous.

How is it disingenuous when in my post, I said either concept or working on the PS3. They didn't clarify and I didn't say it was active development.

Respawn

Banned
First off I'm not. It says that the most important thing they wanted to get right was the dynamic menu. I realize they've been working on other things also I'm just surprised at the focus on whatever they mean by the dynamic menu.
So the other threads were post of love I assume? Then you're not sure what they mean by dynamic menu which is fully explained. Yes, you're trollin.

Jhn

30 fps huh? I guess it makes sense considering how good it looks, but this will keep me from buying the full version. I really can't stand playing sub-60 racers anymore. A damn shame.

Tayaya

30 fps huh? I guess it makes sense considering how good it looks, but this will keep me from buying the full version. I really can't stand playing sub-60 racers anymore. A damn shame.

A shame for you, maybe. Many of us will still buy it and enjoy it at 30fps.

Forza Horizon ran at 30, PGR4 (which is universally loved by just about every racing game fan) ran at 30, classics like Ridge Racer Type 4 and Wipeout XL ran at 30.... 30 is FINE. 60 is better, but 30 is acceptable.

Loofy

Man even Mario Kart 8 will be in 60fps.

Metfanant

Forza Horizon pulled off 30fps well...so I'll remain optimistic... Of course once the game comes out there will.be those making threads here about how the 30fpa makes their eyes bleed and it takes 5 whole seconds for the car to respond to their controller inputs...but whatever...

I'm gonna need to try the PS+ version first...I've never gotten into online racing in either Forza or GT and frankly have little interest in it...so this game being so focused on the social aspects might be a no go for me...

-PXG-

I feel kinda sorry for these guys. It's gonna be a looooong road until October. 30 fps, the PS+ version being gimped and downgraded from what was promised last year at E3 and now admitting the game was delayed nearly a whole year because they wanted to redo the menus and add in mobile phone and tablet integration? Yeesh. That's messy.

Yoday

30fps for this kind of racer is perfectly fine, and it is what I was expecting. PGR was also 30fps if I remember right, and this seems like a very similar racer. I really only care about 60fps in racers like Forza and GT where the simulation aspect is so crucial, and the framerate affects the simulation. NFS Rivals is also 30fps, and it feels great.

Cubed

I am soooo sooooo fine with this game being 30fps. It looks amazing, graphically.

The only thing I'm even slightly concerned about is the physics engine. I hope it's more sim than arcade. I'm aware the game is going to be between the two genres, but I hope it leans towards simulation.

Handy Fake

I feel kinda sorry for these guys. It's gonna be a looooong road until October. 30 fps, the PS+ version being gimped and downgraded from what was promised last year at E3 and now admitting the game was delayed nearly a whole year because they wanted to redo the menus and add in mobile phone and tablet integration? Yeesh. That's messy.

Or:

Getting a free-to-play demo of the game for nothing with a decent amount of cars and tracks to fool about on, which doesn't contradict anything they said. And delaying it due to issues they had getting full integration across all devices, a feature inherently important to the running and success of the game and possibly only recently fixed with help from Sony and firmware.

So, yeah. That.

evolution

I don't see it like that. It's better for them to get all those type questions answered and out of the way now. Better before E3 then after.

senahorse

Logitech dosen't make wheels anymore, so is it safe to guess that even if sony supported the driver (which might happen) it still would not work because of logitech?

Source for this? I know they stated they are stopping production of console gaming peripherals, however the G25/G27 are PC products which just happen to work on PS3 (thanks to Sony and Logitech working on the drivers).

viveks86

Pleasantly surprised to see the Zonda R in since I remember Rushy saying that the initial launch would focus on street legal cars

14063558752_5fddb25497_b.jpg

May be that was recently added post delay. Rushy sounded like the Ferrari F12 wasn't part of the initial list either.

No it's up to sony to allow the driver and then the developer to implement it. Microsoft is the reason g27 doesn't work in forza as they wont support the driver.

Logitech would have to write a driver for the PS4/Xbox One for Sony to allow it, and since Logitech has gotten out of the console peripheral business, there's a good chance that they aren't planning on writing a driver. Or do you just think Sony can port the PS3 driver to the PS4, even though it's a different OS.

golem

The clubs have the 6 members limitation not the races. The races can be 6 vs. 6.

Im not quite sure how 6 vs 6 team online races wont devolve into all out destruction derbies in the narrow roads theyve shown so far.. maybe it is a relay type race?

spwolf

I don't think there is anything stopping sony from supporting the wheel with the currently available drivers they have already developed for the controller.

https://twitter.com/Logitech/status/455765303109373952

latest tweet april 14th and they still have no news on 'officially' supporting it.

at some point, you have to have little idea on what you are talking about... Sony never developed any driver for Logitech, and PS4 uses completely different OS and needs new drivers for input devices. So Logitech would have to develop new drivers for new OS, for product line they cancelled to cut costs.

so thats unlikely. very.

spwolf

So kind of the like the autolog in NFS? idk why people are getting offended when someone questions an almost year old delay over a menu that exists in other games in the genre when this game has been in the making for close to a decade. Maybe it would be better if they actually expanded on the menu and told us what all it does and why it's different from the Autolog or why exactly it took this long to implement. It sounds like they're using that as an excuse for whatever flaws the game had.

well, their dynamic menu is the core of the game... from matchmaking, to campaign, to leaderboards to interface... so basically they told us that core of the game did not work and that they had to rewrite it from scratch.

Flaws dont get any worse than core of the game not working.

Pain

Banned
My impressions of this game have definitely gotten better because of the delay. Before this was just a car game for launch, now it's going to be one of PS4s big holiday titles.

KalBalboa

Banned
Man even Mario Kart 8 will be in 60fps.

For the love of god, there's a real reason why Driveclub is 30 FPS and Mario Kart is 60.

Developers are given a performance budget with any given console and decide their personal ratio for performance/speed/visuals. If Driveclub and Mario Kart were both on the same hardware and had the same visual fidelity then maybe there'd be some value to this kind of comparison, but people need to stop making the flat argument that 60 FPS is something any and every game can achieve, regardless of what other factors the game and its developers hope to accomplish.

There's a reason WipeOut HD ran at 60 and GTAV didn't on the PS3.

Every time I think I'm in, they pull me back out.

I want a racer on my PS4, but not like this. Somebody do something, please. Burnout Paradise 2? Anyone? Please?

May be that was recently added post delay. Rushy sounded like the Ferrari F12 wasn't part of the initial list either.

That's probably it. He did say that it was possible that it would be included in a later updated, but back when it was a launch games they were just planning on including street legal cars. The car will be a monster in time attacks.

LCGeek

formerly sane
30 fps isn't THAT bad guys. It's likely to be the best looking racer in existence, so I at least can overlook it

and crap details cause 30fps butchers temporal resolution. What a waste of power. As for best looking racer in existence, generation is only a few months in might want to hold that kind of hyperbole for the end or the middle.

Top Bottom