• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A DRIVECLUB update from Evolution Studios - 30fps/1080p, was delayed for dynamic menu

Schlomo

I hate the way all this social shit is seeping into racing/sports games. I dont want to see leaderboards out of the wazoo or all that floaty UI crap overlaid everywhere. There has to be a way to turn it all off.

Me too. But that's been their main focus from the start, so I guess we have to accept this game is not for us.

Developers think that by adding in all this social garbage people will end up playing the game for longer which in turn should help sell DLC and whatever other microtranscations there are.

I doubt it works but what do I know.

Criterion's Autolog is probably the most praised feature in racing games last gen. It's built entirely around constantly recording records. Whether it be your longest jump through a billboard, fastest time or highest top speed through a certain section of a track. It's always keeping track of what you and other players in the world are doing. And since racing is built around times and scores in the first place, it actually lends itself to the genre incredibly well.

I hate the way all this social shit is seeping into racing/sports games. I dont want to see leaderboards out of the wazoo or all that floaty UI crap overlaid everywhere. There has to be a way to turn it all off.

Anecdotal, but I was surprised to see how many people actually liked this thing in my circle of known people. They loved to "dethrone" their friends from the leaderboard, and also seeing the stats updated very fast and easily. I'm not into that stuff, but the studio sure knows what they are doing, the market for this social stuff is growing I think.

Edit: Don't know if I was clear, but a lot of people that I know like these social things.

Endo Punk

... Alright I'm just gonna get the PS+ version because that's not what I want to hear. Delayed for the menu? ridiculous priorities. Either they blow me away in the coming weeks or E3 otherwise I'll stick with free.

noobasuar

Banned
Criterion's Autolog is probably the most praised feature in racing games last gen. It's built entirely around constantly recording records. Whether it be your longest jump through a billboard, fastest time or highest top speed through a certain section of a track. It's always keeping track of what you and other players in the world are doing. And since racing is built around times and scores in the first place, it actually lends itself to the genre incredibly well.

I liked it in Burnout I just feel like it's getting old and I hate the constant pop-ups about what other peoples times are and whatnot. It also makes more sense in an open-world racer I feel than a circuit racer.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I liked it in Burnout I just feel like it's getting old and I hate the constant pop-ups about what other peoples times are and whatnot. It also makes more sense in an open-world racer I feel than a circuit racer.
I think they've already confirmed that you can turn off all that stuff in this game.

Cornbread78

Locked 30.

With the visuals of this game, it was more then obvious for a first gen game they would not be able to push it at 60fps. Completely destroys anything I've ever seen in a racer, upcoming or current.

Nice work Evolution! Solid, locked 30fps is great. Not very hard to push a stick left and right, no matter what others here say, be it at 60 or 30.

Can't freakin wait for October.

Stop being so positive, it's not very becoming of you, We must demand 60fps for everything of else it's just completely unplayable... :/

... Alright I'm just gonna get the PS+ version because that's not what I want to hear. Delayed for the menu? ridiculous priorities. Either they blow me away in the coming weeks or E3 otherwise I'll stick with free.

I'd agree with you, IF the other vital aspects of the game like tracks, cars, graphics, audio and so on hadn't been worked on at all since the delay. But that's definitely not the case, so pre-order not cancelled.

iMax

I don't think it was delayed for the menu. Shu said the whole game was being redone from square one.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The 'dynamic menu' isn't just a bit of UI if, as they imply, it also meant all the logic behind that for matchmaking etc. etc. Which would be a lot more in line with what was reported before - that the online/social/community stuff just wasn't ready.

Autolog originated in Hot Pursuit which basically takes place on "tracks". You select a track from a menu and then you're dumped into the race. No driving around to find the races. I'd argue that it worked best in that game because of that. It's the NFS that I really put a good amount of time in trying to beat leaderboard times.
No it's up to sony to allow the driver and then the developer to implement it. Microsoft is the reason g27 doesn't work in forza as they wont support the driver.

Logitech has already acknowledged that it's on them. If they make drivers for the PS4 then we'll get support. If they don't then we're screwed. Simple as that.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Developers think that by adding in all this social garbage people will end up playing the game for longer which in turn should help sell DLC and whatever other microtranscations there are.
Or maybe developers think, we've done racing games largely the same way for decades, let's try something a little different. Let's take advantage of the tech we have now to expand the experience.

I doubt it works but what do I know.
You certainly know how to be overly bitter in just every post I see from you.

RdN

I'm completely OK with 30fps.

PGR is my favorite racing franchise and it always was 30fps. Forza Horizon a couple years back also ran on 30fps and was incredibly fun and good looking.

You guys need to understand that the amount of FPS doesn't determine a game's quality nor fun.

I hope it's a really smooth/easy experience for everyone then. A socially connected racer needs to be on its A game when it comes to the social part

Well hopefully Evolution is onto something that will make team aspects worth something. I can't downplay their efforts without seeing the yields.

Leaderboards and social media stuff has always been lost on me, but if they find some way to make it compelling and interesting, then I'm all for it. I don't have the opportunity to play with my friends at the same time. If they could make being on a club rewarding regardless of those circumstances, I'm a happy camper. I still like engaging with my friends, even if we can't be on at the same time.

v1lla21

This is interesting too, instead of 1 giant gaf club versus the world via leaderboard like structure. its many small gaf club and we can have tourney between gaf clubs. Basically this is more like a fighting game tourney structure. Reminds me of initial d. Really interested for this.
Just what I was thinking. It's going to be really fun competing.

KoopaTheCasual

Welp, that's kind of a punch in the gut for those expecting 60fps. I was sure they'd offer an option for it. Seems fine tho, but as someone who doesn't get hard over 60fps, I guess my opinion is not that valuable, especially in racing thread.

Great comment, sir. At least I tried to voice my opinion over the update instead of attacking other people. Yes, I am disappointed at the way Sony handled the situation. I bought PS4 partially for this game. I signed for PS Plus only for this game.

So I suppose I didn't voice my opinion about the game in my post? Hmm...

My point is, basing an argument on entitlement over a product that you are still receiving strikes me as being petty. Accusing the developer of incompetence of said product without facts to support that claim makes you appear disingenuous. I understand why you are unhappy with the game being delayed, but perhaps patience and maturity are called for in this situation?

No it's up to sony to allow the driver and then the developer to implement it. Microsoft is the reason g27 doesn't work in forza as they wont support the driver.

Logitech dosen't make wheels anymore, so is it safe to guess that even if sony supported the driver (which might happen) it still would not work because of logitech?

That post sounds like a cop-out. Hopefully Gran Turismo 7 will support the Logitech G27, as it seems I'll have to hold out for that. Because I can't really justify having such a badass peripheral, but using a pad for a racing game, and I also can't justify having multiple wheels in my tiny apartment.

Edit: I really hope Logitech pulls through.

Pleasantly surprised to see the Zonda R in since I remember Rushy saying that the initial launch would focus on street legal cars

14063558752_5fddb25497_b.jpg

So we wait almost a year because they don't know how to program a menu??? That is what I got from reading the blog update. All the rest is standard blabbering that every developer will say while working on a game (improving graphics, audio, AI, etc.). They simply don't want to admit to a lot of fuckups and try to sugar coat the delay and awful customer treatment with so called "update". And they even can't say which wheels are supported (just generic "we are working with manufacturers" which sounds that at this point no wheels at all are supported)? Laughable.
Forza Horizon 2, please, please be released this year.

It's not just a simple menu. It's collecting all kinds of data, formatting it, determining all sorts of context from the results, etc.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Can't wait to experience this dynamic menu. I hope we'll see a glimpse of it in the promised racing footage.

Ctrl+F

60fps

0 of 0

Just stop with this non-sense...no one is forcing 60fps crowd to buy this game if you don't like 30fps. Just give it up and find some other racer that fits your criteria. The devs are doing their best to bring a great racing game and know what they need to do to accomplish their vision. Some of us love all the eye candy at locked 30fps. Let us enjoy. Enough of this 60fps begging and crying.

Really excited for more media. I hope they show full race Soony.

Stop being so positive, it's not very becoming of you, We must demand 60fps for everything of else it's just completely unplayable... :/

I know right.

Gran Turismo prior to 4 was 30fps, Forza Horizon, Project Gotham, Motorstorm, Need for Speed.

There are a ton of racers past and current that were 30fps. Seems plenty of people were able to hop in and enjoy the title.

I'd rather move onto something more substantial then talking about framerate atm. As long as it is a smooth, steady framerate that doesnt fluctuate, that is perfect.

People seem to forget we are year 1 into this system. This is a teams first experience with the hardware. They want to push the visual fidelity this time around. The next time around they will have had the engine around for awhile and will be able to spend 6 months of development time just tweaking this beautiful engine and pushing the hardware as much as they can with new techniques to squeeze some more life out of it, which could push it to 60fps next time around.

First gen folks, first gen. Fucking RELAX

Top Bottom