• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall sells nearly 1M in the US during first 3 weeks.

fasTRapid

Banned
IGN said:
Respawn Entertainment's Titanfall has sold 925,000 units in its first quarter, according to Electronic Arts.

This is "great," according to EA COO Peter Moore, as Titanfall on Xbox One and PC spent just three weeks on the fiscal quarter's calendar. It was Xbox One's best-selling game in March. This did not include the Xbox 360 release.

EA announced today that it would partner with Respawn on "new Titanfall experiences" going forward, but it didn't specify what that would entail.

http://go.ign.com/Rpe4CR

EA only mentioned NPD figures (physical retail sold to consumers in the USA)...that 925K figure I assume is for XB1 + PC, or USA NPD and Canada NPD.

We already had the following NPD figures leaked:

865K no bundles for Xbox One

1.1 million Xbox One with bundles

7 out of every 10 Xbox One consoles sold in March were Titanfall bundles

Tripon

Its pretty telling that EA didn't include digital numbers. Origin isn't drawing in PC players like it should.

Gestault

If that's the total number (meaning including the bundle sales), that seems relatively low for such a high-profile release. That being said, over a million in a month in one region isn't bad.

That's really strong as a new IP, congrats to Respawn and EA

People have crazy expectations- yeah it was hyped but these sales are very good.

Considering the massive push it got here in UK i still wasnt tempted, Ahh well suppose they are good but not overwhlemingly good numbers.

Vibranium

Banned
Its pretty telling that EA didn't include digital numbers. Origin isn't drawing in PC players like it should.

I have said it before, they need to find an agreement with Valve to forgo the 30% cut and put their games on both Steam and Origin. I'm sure Gabe could find a way so things work out for both parties. EA doesn't understand how powerful the Steam Market and trading is.

JayEH

I'm sure this did fine financially and is a good foothold for a franchise but it definitely seems like a disappointment given "BELIEVE THE HYPE", "NEXT GEN STARTS HERE".

AHA-Lambda

It's really telling that EA have not mentioned sales figures for Titanfall at all in the call.

It can't have met expectations.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Great sales, considering the installed base in the US and it's multi-player only .

TyrantII

Sounds bad, considering the expectations.

Damn Titanfall is doing really well. Good for Respawn.

So, which one?

My take?

EA made out like bandits

Respawn did pretty well and now has a solid new IP with name recognition

MS did not get their money's worth out of it considering the hype, and how they needed it to preform and drive console sales (assuming thing weren't going to be much, much, much worse sans Titanfall)

Rembrandt

Banned
Less than a million seems pretty awful for such a hugely marketed and hyped new IP FROM THE CREATORS OF CALL OF DUTY OMG.

let's not forget that it's a multiplayer only new IP on a new system. in perspective, it did good. wouldn't be surprised if it didn't do as well as EA hoped, though.

thuway

Didn't meet expectations? False enthusiasm. Energize the base. Release PS4 version for the sequel, and maybe you'll get 2 million sold within the first month.

Either way, Zampella must be happy. Modest budget to produce, EA published, Microsoft money hat to advertise- at the end of the day; Respawn wins.

That's actually "okay" The hype this game was getting and being available on two platforms day one and the 360 later, I expected more quite honestly.

sense

there is like no way this sold to expectations. people have to force numbers out of MS and EA or through leaks. if it sold a number they expected there would have been a pr about it.

It's a pretty solid number for a new IP but I'm not sure how it would measure up to expectations considering the push it received.

tokkun

Call of Duty: Ghosts sold 6.1 million in its debut month in NPD (USA physical retail).

GTA V sold 7.0 million in its debut month in NPD.

Nearly 1 million isn't that great... EA expected more out of it.

Seems like a false equivalency. Install base, bundles, and all...

Cade

That isn't *that* impressive, is it? Kind of a bummer. I don't really like what EA did here regarding exclusivity, and I'm bummed that it's not selling great on PC because I loved the PC beta, but I was hoping it'd do well enough for Respawn. Looks like it did well enough for sequels, though.

EDIT: Misread. That's pretty good overall, then.

Top Bottom