• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub # Lighting Engine & shader details, UI screens, Mobile App UI

amar212

I think this should fit a new thread since others are discussing another subjects.

Lightning engine and shader details:

iphv0fMwAJLz8.jpg

iQIKybpMYPg3m.jpg

ipfOjeJIEyohZ.jpg

iIxywr44e9LYc.jpg

iVgLTwqCJfqjM.jpg

itJjgWfm8QmvO.jpg

UI details:

Smartphone/Tablet APP UI and details:

GameSeeker

Here is a good quote from Paul Rustchynsky (Game Director, DriveClub).

Eurogamer said:
"The cars are the most detailed cars you'll ever see in a racing game, inside or out," he [Paul Rustchynsky] insisted.

"We make sure all the worlds are densely populated. The vistas, well, you can see them. There are no shortcuts taken. We don't have 2D crowds or baked shadows. Everything's dynamic. Everything from our dynamic lighting solution to screen space reflections, and our anti-aliasing techniques - we use similar techniques to temporal anti-aliasing and also FX anti-aliasing as well. We've got radiosity and dynamic volumetric clouds, which you'll see god rays being cast through. You've got headlights in cars at night time, which will cast shadows onto other cars on front.

"It's all these things which couldn't be done last generation. We're really pushing the visual boundaries."

Full Eurogamer article is here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ddresses-driveclub-micro-transactions-concern

So this is what the delay was for. They really seem to have gotten their priorities wrong with this game for me. Although that spectrum effect does look very nice.

Litri

Too much technical jargon, I want to know if it plays well... Most of these things won't be noticed by most of us mortals.

C4EMGEN

Hi guys, thanks for the nice comments.

Just wanted to let you know though, that the UI shots have all been taken from a pre-Beta build of the game and most of them use placeholder artwork.

Too much technical jargon, I want to know if it plays well... Most of these things won't be noticed by most of us mortals.

Technical jargon inside a technical writeup! NO WAY!

There are a gazillion gameplay previews out there, go read those.

Mobius 1

Hi guys, thanks for the nice comments.

Just wanted to let you know though, that the UI shots have all been taken from a pre-Beta build of the game and most of them use placeholder artwork.

As a fellow UI designer, I'd love to hear more about your workflow and tools. Fantastic work by the way!

Not to sound like a jerk, but those quotes explaining the visually features sounds like they're trying to hard to make it appear impressive.

Hellshy.

How could one not notice how good the cars lights look and hoe they cast shadows and reflect. There is so much that looks good in this game that everyone will notice wether they know the tech or not.

gaming_noob

No shortcuts taken, and you can tell from all of the videos shown thus far. This game looks like a true next gen title.

Twinduct

How big is the team at Evo?
Any chance they'll do a Dice debriefing or something in that vain in the future? Would love to hear more gritty details about the engine.

Everything is setup to be dynamic in this game, nothing prebaked. Having this level of detail in the shaders will pay off.

The real question is - Will it have anisotropic filtering???

The car modelling and the material work doesn't look very impressive to be honest, but in general, the game is coming along very nicely in the visual department.

jett

D-Member
Those are the first/only direct feed screenshots we've had of the game(somebody must've made a mistake at Evo :p). Looks nice enough, although strangely it's another PS4 game with a shit implementation of AF. What the fuck is the deal with that?

cLOUDo

"We make sure all the worlds are densely populated. The vistas, well, you can see them. There are no shortcuts taken. We don't have 2D crowds or baked shadows. Everything's dynamic."

Shots fired

Litri

They're pretty noticeable in almost every DRIVECLUB video...

I should have said when compared to other next-gen racers (i.e Forza 5, Project Cars), my bad. In any case, we shouldn't asume that all gamers are as educated on this as some of the people here in gaf.

Wax on the headlights causing refraction?
Hot brakes glow onto the road?
Carbon fiber weave direction accurately modeled?

Unreal.

The attention to detail in this game is unbelievable.

Makes me wish they make a new Motorstorm with crazy mud modeling.

amar212

There are lots of screenshots available but I can't upload them for another few hours. If noone uploads them in meantime, I will put them here in next 4 hours.

evolution

I doubt most that buy this game will care, but I really appreciate them going that deep. I wonder how long each car takes.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'll be honest, while these details are incredibly impressive in a lot of ways, it isn't worth the sacrifice in frame-rate. Cutting back on smaller details and other subtle bits to improve performance would have been preferred. The fact is, while racing, most of those fine details are virtually invisible and impossible to see especially on rival cars. For replays? Sure, it makes more sense, but while racing it's really not that important.

I'll be honest, while these details are incredibly impressive in a lot of ways, it isn't worth the sacrifice in frame-rate. Cutting back on smaller details and other subtle bits to improve performance would have been preferred. The fact is, while racing, most of those fine details are virtually invisible and impossible to see especially on rival cars. For replays? Sure, it makes more sense, but while racing it's really not that important.

Game was never supposed to be 60fps from the beginning.

Trace

Banned

You've seen the gameplay right? The sense of speed is amazing for a 30 FPS game, with rich environments that actually have stuff in them, definitely worth the tradeoff of 60 fps.

Top Bottom