• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub # Lighting Engine & shader details, UI screens, Mobile App UI

viveks86

Tamil Nadu circuit V1? Is that a new racing track we haven't seen yet? Looks like all tracks we have seen so far from India are from the south.

I know it hurts the 60fps crowd to see a 30fps game but just give up on the 60 vs 30 DC debate. Its not gonna change any more. It looks amazing and looks super smooth and seems like a lot of previews like how it plays too. Every DC thread turns into a 60 vs 30 thread and how Evo screwed it up. They made a decision for their game and thought would be best for their game. The 60fps crowd has other choices like F5 and pCar. No one is forcing you guys to play this 'shit' 30fps game.

d0nnie

Banned
The more information that comes out about this game, the more hyped up I get. I am in need of a racer for my collection, can't wait for this to come out.

I think You need to go outside more.

Oh get over yourself, the focus is clearly on the car and everything else looks good enough or small enough that unless you focus on it you won't pick out the discrepancies.

Can a guy be impressed without having somebody try to piss in his cornflakes?

KKRT00

Oh get over yourself, the focus is clearly on the car and everything else looks good enough or small enough that unless you focus on it you won't pick out the discrepancies.

Can a guy be impressed without having somebody try to piss in his cornflakes?

You can be impressed as much as You want, but it doesnt look like real life, its so far away from looking lifelike, its not even funny.

a916

He's not saying they look bad, he's saying that they don't even look close to the original screenshots released for the game at it's reveal.

But in this video released by the same people, look at how much more impressive the trees look (I'm using trees as a direct comparison here...

LINK

You can be impressed as much as You want, but it doesnt look like real life, its so far away from looking lifelike, its not even funny.

Perhaps it would have benefited both of us if you had noted the problem areas initially instead of starting right off with snark.

p3tran

Banned
"We make sure all the worlds are densely populated. The vistas, well, you can see them. There are no shortcuts taken. We don't have 2D crowds or baked shadows. Everything's dynamic."
Shots fired
Dude in front is not amused.

2572966-forza_xbone.jpg

I thought the game director's comments about shadows/2d crowd were pretty pathetic tbh... They don't have those but they don't have 60fps either. Focus on their own game.
I would even argue they dont even have 400.000 3d spectators on track (thats how many forza 5 has)

No chance in hell. Once again we've been bullshotted. This is what the game currently looks like in 30fps realtime:

icmm4g91SXKBb.png

woa! 3d spectators! nextgen is finally here!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yep. I think a lot of us have this opinion. In genre where 60fps makes a big difference, major graphical leaps may be justified to go 30fps, but for minor tech details at the sacrifice of framerate? Can't really get behind that.

Do people really think that it is things like headlights or the brake glows or other "minor" tech details that do not allow this game to cruise at 60 FPS?

Dynamic lighting, real time night and day cycle, headlights causing opponents cars to cast shadows, clouds affecting environment lighting and shadowing, awesome draw distance and very detailed environments, etc... the game is pushing the console quite a bit.

Pain

Banned
So this is what the delay was for. They really seem to have gotten their priorities wrong with this game for me. Although that spectrum effect does look very nice.
I disagree. The priorities seem to be exactly what they're vision for the game demanded. It's a social racer with next-gen graphics.

p3tran

Banned
Well, he's kinda right about the modelling, some parts are really low poly.

rUq4Yvx.jpg

oh come on

Welp, maybe PS5 then.

come on guys, you dont really have to be like this

Do people really think that it is things like headlights or the brake glows or other "minor" tech details that do not allow this game to cruise at 60 FPS?

Dynamic lighting, real time night and day cycle, headlights causing opponents cars to cast shadows, clouds affecting environment lighting and shadowing, awesome draw distance and very detailed environments, etc... the game is pushing the console quite a bit.

I remember in a t10 interview clearly stating that having 32 extra (16 pairs) headlights casting lights and shadows on top of everything else going on is something that didnt go along very well for their day 1 goal, while keeping the foundation (aka solid 60fps) safe. made sense to me.
do we know if all cars headlights cast shadows on driveclub? (that would be 12x2=24 light sources!). or is it just the driver's car?

amar212

Okay, I have downloaded 50 1080p PNG screens and I would love to post them somewhere where there will be no compression but also somewhere where I will not lose 2 hours in copy/pasting hosting links.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

amar212

Sorry for the cross-posting but I am doing it purely because of the subscribed members.

Below is the link at the COMPLETE GALLERY (49 pictures) released today (39 1080p PNG's and 10 1080p JPG's - PNG's probably being direct capture).

It contains some of the images I have already seen around today, but there are some I haven't seen being posted yet.

Three preview images:

See the complete gallery HERE

do we know if all cars headlights cast shadows on driveclub? (that would be 12x2=24 light sources!). or is it just the driver's car?

In the recentish videos it was just the driver's lights that were shadow tested.

On top of that I think they're doing something very clever to optimise it down to a single test per pixel instead of one each for the left and right headlights, you only see one detailed shadow of the opponents car at any one time, at least that's what it looked like to me.

p3tran

Banned
In the recentish videos it was just the driver's lights that were shadow tested.
On top of that I think they're doing something very clever to optimise it down to a single test per pixel instead of one each for the left and right headlights, you only see one detailed shadow of the opponents car at any one time, at least that's what it looked like to me.

thats strange. and what do you mean by "tested"?
do you have by any chance a video link so i can look myself?

Top Bottom