• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub # Lighting Engine & shader details, UI screens, Mobile App UI

TheCloser

Banned
I'll be honest, while these details are incredibly impressive in a lot of ways, it isn't worth the sacrifice in frame-rate. Cutting back on smaller details and other subtle bits to improve performance would have been preferred. The fact is, while racing, most of those fine details are virtually invisible and impossible to see especially on rival cars. For replays? Sure, it makes more sense, but while racing it's really not that important.

Thats just like your opinion bro.gif

Dude in front is not amused.

2572966-forza_xbone.jpg
I thought the game director's comments about shadows/2d crowd were pretty pathetic tbh... They don't have those but they don't have 60fps either. Focus on their own game.

Trace

Banned
I thought the game director's comments about shadows/2d crowd were pretty pathetic tbh... They don't have those but they don't have 60fps either. Focus on their own strengths.

Well I guess because (Insert PS2 game here) had 60 fps, then Driveclub is obviously inferior because it isn't 60!

jett

D-Member
I'll be honest, while these details are incredibly impressive in a lot of ways, it isn't worth the sacrifice in frame-rate. Cutting back on smaller details and other subtle bits to improve performance would have been preferred. The fact is, while racing, most of those fine details are virtually invisible and impossible to see especially on rival cars. For replays? Sure, it makes more sense, but while racing it's really not that important.

Honestly, I'm not getting something out of these direct feed screenshots that says "yeah, 30fps justified" either. They're even missing the film-like color grading from the screens Evolution paraded around last year. Taking IQ out of the equation, can this game actually look like this?

Honestly, I'm not getting something out of these direct feed screenshots that says "yeah, 30fps justified" either. They're even missing the film-like color grading from the screens Evolution paraded around last year. Taking IQ out of the equation, can this game actually look like this?

This game has actually looked exactly the same since the reveal trailer.

We are just slowly seeing more and more of the product as time goes along. The day/night time cycling, more showcases of the lighting, the damage modeling, etc. etc.

Visually though, it has not one day looked average and the next day amazing. It has always looked amazing.

In a racing game, 60fps is almost always superior. You can't make up for responsiveness with visual effects.

This game is 30fps and the sense of speed is the best I've ever seen in this type of racer.

Apparently if a game isn't 60 fps then it's not worth talking about because all 60 fps games are superior no matter the tradeoff.

Not really an accurate synopsis of what dark10x said at all. Some people just prefer 60fps for their racing games, and it actually can translate to increased responsiveness (although it doesn't have to, NFS HP for PS360 was 30fps but the controls (somehow) responded like 60fps - Digital Foundry had a fancy article on it I didn't really understand). For my part, I'm completely fine with 30fps, but this is preference stuff, which is all he was stating.

Game looks great, but if Rushy's gonna be calling out Foza's 2D crowds, he should probably make the 3D ones in DC look a bit better than they do.

Trace

Banned
In a racing game, 60fps is almost always superior. You can't make up for responsiveness with visual effects.

You completely can. I've never understood the "need" for 60 fps in a racing game. Maybe in a sim racer, but a racing game is not twitch in the way a fighting game is or CoD is. Does 60 fps help? Sure. But is it a necessity? No.

No chance in hell. Once again we've been bullshotted. This is what the game currently looks like in 30fps realtime:

ik7xg99GxPMBi.png

ilLyqYCXdkxOZ.png

ibkL7ZWyhfpEF1.png

iORFZwghfqLTC.png

icmm4g91SXKBb.png

ibbil5hPspBYZX.png

BigJoeGrizzly

Neo Member
While the game looks great, I'd have to agree with some here that I would rather they pared back some of the effects a bit (who's paying attention to volumetric clouds and real-time global illumination lighting in a racing game?) to achieve a higher frame rate. It just seems to me that many of these graphical effects are a bit excessive given the performance costs. The more compromises that are made to performance, the less I care about crowd models and vistas in the distance that I'll never interact with.

Flo_Evans

Totally agree.

Save this crap for the garage and replays.

Honestly I'm more concerned at the apparent lack of difference in the cars handling at this point. Who cares how it looks if every car drives the same?

Hoo-doo

Banned

When all these things come together and add up to a goddamn incredible looking game, then I say the investment was worth it.

Feindflug

Apparently if a game isn't 60 fps then it's not worth talking about because all 60 fps games are superior no matter the tradeoff.

Who said that?

Also the guy from Evolution made comparisons in the first place when the games can't be directly compared due to the big difference in frame-rate. His comparison would have more weight if DC also run at 1080p/60fps but even if that was the case PS4 is the stronger piece of hardware so what's the point of stating the obvious? DC runs at half the frame-rate on a more powerful console, of course it's gonna look better than Forza 5.

I'm sure half the Forza fans rubbishing this game for being 30fps would take a new PGR any day of the week. As long as the game plays well and the frame rate is solid then I don't care.

Totally agree.

Save this crap for the garage and replays.

Honestly I'm more concerned at the apparent lack of difference in the cars handling at this point. Who cares how it looks if every car drives the same?

Gran Turismo has done this since the 5th game, I think. Gameplay is 60fps (or ~60fps in GT6's case), but replays slap on some nice motion blur and possibly better AA and drop the game to 30.

No chance in hell. Once again we've been bullshotted. This is what the game currently looks like in 30fps realtime:

ik7xg99GxPMBi.png

ilLyqYCXdkxOZ.png

ibkL7ZWyhfpEF1.png

iORFZwghfqLTC.png

icmm4g91SXKBb.png

ibbil5hPspBYZX.png

Uh is that supposed to be ugly? Cuz it looks pretty damn impressive to my eyes. The detail on the cars is insane!

If I had to nit pick I'd say that the orange peel effect is a little exaggerated (or it could possibly be aliasing in the reflection). but its still pretty fantastic looking

Raven77

I, personally, would gladly take better graphics and a stable 30 FPS as opposed to a graphical reduction and 60 fps. I am not a profession racer nor do I plan on competing too much in this game outside of just to have fun and try to have a good win record.

I DO however think that it would have been cool to give people a 30 / 60 fps option where the latter reduces graphical effects, etc.

Agree with this, I would much rather have had 60fps than lots of tiny little details that will go unnoticed to most players and for those that do notice them will be forgotten after a couple of races when all attention is on what corner is coming next.

Framerate > graphical fidelity every time in a racing game for me. Still looking forward to Driveclub though.

I don't know man. I tend to agree with you for Sim Racers, but for Racers that lean arcade (e.g., PGR, motorstorm, etc.) I understand the trade-off for 30 fps to do more exciting things with the environment and/or with damage modeling.

jet1911

Uh is that supposed to be ugly? Cuz it looks pretty damn impressive to my eyes. The detail on the cars is insane!

If I had to nit pick I'd say that the orange peel effect is a little exaggerated (or it could possibly be aliasing in the reflection). but its still pretty fantastic looking

Cars looks great, everything else not so much.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
You've seen the gameplay right? The sense of speed is amazing for a 30 FPS game, with rich environments that actually have stuff in them, definitely worth the tradeoff of 60 fps.
Don't get me wrong, it looks great and I'm planning to play it but I find these types of details to be a waste of resources when they are ultimately impossible to appreciate DURING gameplay. They're putting resources into things that are invisible while playing.

Sense of speed isn't really tied to frame-rate either.

Jachaos

I'm buying this. A friend of mine was going to buy a PS4 the other day too until I told him the price was up to 450$ now in Canada, so now he'll wait for this game because it really impressed him.

benzy

Don't get me wrong, it looks great and I'm planning to play it but I find these types of details to be a waste of resources when they are ultimately impossible to appreciate DURING gameplay. They're putting resources into things that are invisible while playing.

Sense of speed isn't really tied to frame-rate either.

I and many others spend hundreds of hours in photomode in games like GT and PGR. These minute details Evo have put in their game won't go unappreciated. Photomode itself is apart of the gameplay for a lot of people.

GameSeeker

Thank you to the Evolution team for putting out technical details on DriveClub. Obviously, much of the information will be over the heads of many customers, but it is important for Evolution to highlight how DriveClub is different from last gen racers.

Some, like the dynamic lighting model, headlights, volumetric clouds, etc. are very visible as being new and different. The small details that aren't easily noticed are necessary to more closely simulate reality. And while you may not notice all the graphics details when driving at high speeds, you will need notice them in replays and photo mode (Note: Please have a photo mode!)

Hopefully we will continue to get more details on the technology in DriveClub in the runup to launch. And maybe even a post-launch GDC presentation like those given by Guerrilla Games and Sucker Punch.

Bebpo

Banned

Yep. I think a lot of us have this opinion. In genre where 60fps makes a big difference, major graphical leaps may be justified to go 30fps, but for minor tech details at the sacrifice of framerate? Can't really get behind that.

a916

ik7xg99GxPMBi.png

ilLyqYCXdkxOZ.png

ibkL7ZWyhfpEF1.png

iORFZwghfqLTC.png

icmm4g91SXKBb.png

ibbil5hPspBYZX.png

I'm confused because that actually looks good. (the car/player... the trees/spectators don't which is to be expected in a game about cars where you race past them...)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm confused because that actually looks good. (the car/player... the trees/spectators don't which is to be expected in a game about cars where you race past them...)

He's not saying they look bad, he's saying that they don't even look close to the original screenshots released for the game at it's reveal.

93xfan

Banned
You guys have outdone yourselves! Such a tremendously wise decision not to rush this game. I cannot wait!

Top Bottom