• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Indiana Jones movie is your favorite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parch

Casting Connery was great but it's gotta be the first. Raiders is perfect, and it changed the way action and adventure movies were presented. It's just so much fun. Imagine how much that movie has influenced movies and games. Tomb Raider would never exist.

Raiders of the Lost Ark should be considered one of the best movies of all time. It's sequels are just sequels. Good, but not the original.

1. Last Crusade
2. Raiders of the Lost Ark
3. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
4. Temple of Doom

It's hard to even rank Temple of Doom, I find it to be absolutely awful. I finally bought the bluray set a couple of months ago and I'd be shocked if Temple of Doom ever enters my bluray player. Short round is the only redeemable part of the movie, and it's not worth watching for him.

Thing is, Temple of Doom was the first one I saw as a kid(I was around 5 or 6) and fell in love. Then I finally saw Raiders and Crusade and it just killed Temple for me. I can't even watch it now because of how good the other two are.

I love Crystal Skull. It's got some issues, I wont try to cover them up, but I really feel like it's a much better movie than people give it credit for and I think it's just a fun ride from start to end. I had a lot of fun watching it and still do.

Jedi2016

Raiders, no contest.

While that scene from Crusade is funny, I didn't like how they turned both Brody and Sallah into comic relief. Both were much more serious characters in Raiders.

p2535748

For me, Crusade is a fun film, but Raiders is one of the great adventure movies ever made. There's not even a comparison, Raiders is so much better.

I do love the Temple of Doom - the set pieces in it are just masterfully put together, it's funny, violent (I love the threads of black-humour in the first 3 films), and quite dark.

It also has the best variation on the Raiders Theme too in my opinion.

And Short Round...

If you told me I could only have one though it would be Crusade. Raiders is amazing, but Connery, and good doses of both Sallah and Brody put it over the top for me.

inm8num2

One of my favorite quotes, r.e. Brody:

"He sticks out like a sore thumb. We'll find him."
"The hell you will. He's got a two day head start on you, which is more than he needs. Brody's got friends in every town and village from here to the Sudan, he speaks a dozen languages, knows every local custom, he'll blend in, disappear, you'll never see him again. With any luck, he's got the grail already."

The way Ford says, "The hell you will," is amazing. Same with how he tells Molaram, "Prepare to meet Kali...IN HELL."

Reuenthal

Banned
I like the first and the third about the same, both are damn great films.

Having rewatched the trilogy, nobody particularly liked Temple of Doom from my watchgroup. A meh film really as Indiana Jones goes.

inm8num2

Anybody ever do the trilogy of trilogies in one night with friends?

Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Back to the Future

Those were the days. :)

I've always assumed people didn't like Temple of Doom because they found Willie Scott and/or Short Round annoying as fuck. Which I would disagree with, but it's understandable. However, if it's not that, I really don't understand what there is to dislike about this movie vs. the others. It's a really interesting setting with some of the series' best action set pieces.

Calibus

1. Last Crusade
2. Raiders of the Lost Ark
3. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
4. Temple of Doom

It's hard to even rank Temple of Doom, I find it to be absolutely awful. Short round is the only redeemable part of the movie, and it's not worth watching for him.

Then I finally saw Raiders and Crusade and it just killed Temple for me. I can't even watch it now because of how good the other two are.

I love Crystal Skull. It's got some issues, I wont try to cover them up, but I really feel like it's a much better movie than people give it credit for and I think it's just a fun ride from start to end. I had a lot of fun watching it and still do.

My answer/ranking verbatim.

inm8num2

And they still are. :3

indiana-jones-popcorn-reaction-gif.gif

I loved Crusade the most as a kid, then I grew up and thought I liked Raiders more because it was more mature, then I grew up even more and realized Temple of Doom is the best.

Temple of Doom is the best, Followed by Raiders and Last Crusade.

Crystal Skull was...okay I guess, if they'd did a lot less blatantly CG shots and more physical, real locations and sets it would've been better.

Oh and not getting Close Encounters in my Indiana Jones film.

evil ways

Temple of Doom. Gave the whole Nazi motiff a break and both the mine cart and club Obi-Wan scenes are my favorites in the entire "Trilogy".

CassSept

I'd accept every answer but Crystal Skull.

For me, it'd be hard to choose between Raiders and Crusade, honestly, I do recognize that Raiders is the better movie, but Crusade is a damn fine movie too.

Recently I caught Temple of Doom on TV, I think it was the first time I've seen the movie in like 10 years and holy crap that intro is so good. I always knew Spielberg was a god when it came to mainstream movies, but the first scene of Temple of Doom is something else. Incredible stuff.

Farmboy

I feel like Crusade doesn't get the balance right and doesn't take itself quite seriously enough. The Young Indy opening is a prime example: when we meet Indy in Raiders it's like every line on his face tells a story. Where did he get that hat? That scar? The whip? Why does he fear snakes? He's gone through a lot! Turns out all of those happened with the same 15 minutes... Lame.

Temple has similar tonal problems, although it's a bit more consistent in this regard. It doesn't have Connery to paper over the cracks though. There's just so much more heart (no pun intended) in Crusade because of the junior-senior relationship.

Raiders is pretty much perfect, as others have said.

Let's not talk about Crystal Skull.

jonnyp

Raiders and the the Last Crusade. Crystal Skull is an abomination which should never be mentioned again.

My main issue with the Young Indy opening, outside the ridiculousness of getting all his defining traits in like 10 minutes and an actual magic box escape, but if he was already a damn boy scout as a kid, it kinda shits on Temple of Doom's character arc where he goes from "Fortune and Glory, kid" selfish treasure seeker to "Yeah...all of us/I understand its power now" respectable anti-hero.

Konka

Banned
My main issue with the Young Indy opening, outside the ridiculousness of getting all his defining traits in like 10 minutes and an actual magic box escape, but if he was already a damn boy scout as a kid, it kinda shits on Temple of Doom's character arc where he goes from "Fortune and Glory, kid" selfish treasure seeker to "Yeah...all of us/I understand its power now" respectable anti-hero.

They were trying to look to throw out Temple of Doom as a thing.

Yeah, everything about Last Crusade seems like an apology for Temple. They doubled down on the jokes, went back to the Nazis/Christian artifacts, Sallah/Brody are back and more jokey than before, softened it all up, even trimmed Indy's facial hair down from that rugged adventure look he had in the last two

indianajones.jpg

Indiana-Jones-Last-Crusade-01.jpg

Last Crusade > Raiders > Crystal Skull > Herpes > Temple Of Doom.

I really cannot stand Temple Of Doom. The setpieces are average at best compared to the other films (and often times just flat out bad. That inflatable life raft scene?) and the supporting cast just make me want to claw my eyes out. Doesn't help that it has some very questionable racial stereotypes going on. No matter how much people may bitch about Crystal Skull, it'll never be the same level of awful as Temple.

which is exactly why I'm sorta cool to Last Crusade, its not bad by any means, and does a lot very well, but it seems like a faded photocopy of Raiders.

Temple of Doom, bless its foolish, racist heart, at least has its own identity. And is chock full of crazy shit happening. I prefer it, but not to any great degree. Also, the action might be the best of the series.

I saw Raiders (in a theater) again for the first time in years just a few days ago. Man, that's a helleva film. Just about every part in it is so perfectly inhabited.

The series really does get progressively less great over installments (until Crystal Skull, which most of us seem to agree was deeply unfortunate).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom